HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Visor help...

Old
04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Visor help...

Hey guys, I'm looking for help with a brand new bucket and visor I bought online. Just received a new Easton E700 and Oakley VR924 straight visor with vents. I'm having a heck of a time fitting the visor properly.

Does anyone have either of these? Is there a spacer kit i should be using? Should I send back the visor and get a different one which is more compatible? I love the E700, incredibly light. Does anyone use a different visor with this bucket?
Thanks in advance...

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
hockeymass

I use the Bauer HS22 with my E700. The visor should have come with all the necessary mounting hardware. Is that not the case?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
I use the Bauer HS22 with my E700. The visor should have come with all the necessary mounting hardware. Is that not the case?
It did come with hardware but it doesn't seem right the way I had it screwed on. Lots of pressure on the sides where the holes are. Do spacers come with the visor or are you suppose to get them separately? I'm beginning to think I should find a new one.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:34 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
It did come with hardware but it doesn't seem right the way I had it screwed on. Lots of pressure on the sides where the holes are. Do spacers come with the visor or are you suppose to get them separately? I'm beginning to think I should find a new one.
My visor came with the spacers. Is there pressure on the helmet or are you worried because you had to squeeze the visor to get it to fit on the helmet? The latter is normal, I was concerned about it at first too but it's nothing to worry about.

Old
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
My visor came with the spacers. Is there pressure on the helmet or are you worried because you had to squeeze the visor to get it to fit on the helmet? The latter is normal, I was concerned about it at first too but it's nothing to worry about.
No spacers came with it... I did have to squeeze the ends of the visor to get the screws in. Had a bad feeling I was going to strip a screw or one might pop out under pressure. It just seemed more complicated to install than it should have been.

Old
04-17-2012, 11:05 PM
don28

I have only ordered a Bauer visor before, and it came with spacers. Not sure if Oakley normally ships without spacers or if this was a mistake on their part. If they normally don't ship visors with spacers, I will definitely never buy an Oakley visor.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
nukethewhales
gotta nuke something

Yup, you need spacers, especially with the pro straight.

You have a few options. You can get the official Oakley space kit, which runs about $10-12 after shipping, or you can head down to your local hardware store. In the screws and hardware section, you should be able to find a few plastic spacers. I have no idea what they're actually used for, but they were about .30 cents each. I need two to make it fit (so four on each side).

nukethewhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukethewhales View Post
Yup, you need spacers, especially with the pro straight.

You have a few options. You can get the official Oakley space kit, which runs about $10-12 after shipping, or you can head down to your local hardware store. In the screws and hardware section, you should be able to find a few plastic spacers. I have no idea what they're actually used for, but they were about .30 cents each. I need two to make it fit (so four on each side).
I believe the material used for plastic screws etc is referred to as nylon so that may help with finding them.

Car part places may also have these things.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered the spacer kit and a new shield. I don't know how fond I am of the shields with attachements at the top. I just find it a pain that Oakley doesn't include all the hardware you might need including spacers to attach to a helmet.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:52 AM
rinkrat22

well oakley is good for making you pay extra with most of their stuff. But I have a oakley visor, bought the hardware and it fits well and if you use the oakley VFR solution you shouldn't have fogging problems. I have a bauer visor on the helmet I ref with and I dont like it as much as the Oakley, I feel like there is distortion with the bauer visor. Just my $.02 though.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:58 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, I just ordered the spacer kit and a new shield. I don't know how fond I am of the shields with attachements at the top. I just find it a pain that Oakley doesn't include all the hardware you might need including spacers to attach to a helmet.
I'm surprised by that. My Bauer visor included 4 nylon spacers and all the necessary screws. It was a bit of a pain to mount, but at least I had all the parts.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
well oakley is good for making you pay extra with most of their stuff. But I have a oakley visor, bought the hardware and it fits well and if you use the oakley VFR solution you shouldn't have fogging problems. I have a bauer visor on the helmet I ref with and I dont like it as much as the Oakley, I feel like there is distortion with the bauer visor. Just my $.02 though.
Not all of Bauer's visors are optically correct. Oakley's are. If the visor is optically correct, there should be no distortion.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:39 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Not all of Bauer's visors are optically correct. Oakley's are. If the visor is optically correct, there should be no distortion.
which is why, I, would spend the extra $ for an oakley, and the extra$ for the parts kit. much better product from oakley

Old
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
which is why, I, would spend the extra $ for an oakley, and the extra$ for the parts kit. much better product from oakley
Well, or you could buy one of Bauer's optically correct models. Both are fine. I have the HS22 and love it.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

my bauer 4500 fit my oakley just fine. stylish bucket forsure.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Stickmata

Oakley does include the spacers with every visor they sell. If yours did not have them, someone took them out of the box.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Oakley does include the spacers with every visor they sell. If yours did not have them, someone took them out of the box.
This makes more sense.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
yeah, I must've got jobbed. I had a small packet with a bunch of necessary screws but no spacers. I guess someone forgot them or swiped em out of this set.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:57 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Well, or you could buy one of Bauer's optically correct models. Both are fine. I have the HS22 and love it.
well the hs22 is the bauer model that I have and the oakley is, imo, optically superior. But we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:06 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if you dont have the spacers than a hockey store in the area should sell them and they are $3-4. i would just do that instead of waiting for a mail return.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
if you dont have the spacers than a hockey store in the area should sell them and they are $3-4. i would just do that instead of waiting for a mail return.
This is what I did; installed a heck of a lot easier than trying to force it and put incredible stress on the plastic. Everything worked and plus I bought a small straight Oakley for a different helmet I had.

Very cool. VICTORY IS MINE!