HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF Game#6 Pens @Flyers Gun Fight| Sun-4-22-12 Highnoon|WFC|71 has the GDT

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

vCash: 500
ECSF Game#6 Pens @Flyers Gun Fight| Sun-4-22-12 Highnoon|WFC|71 has the GDT

71 has this GDT and Fredrick Stanley has game 7.

Penguins Report: 4/21/12

Quote:
12:01 PM:
Pens practice is underway. Defensemen Paul Martin, Zbynek Michalek and Matt Niskanen are not on the ice.

11:15 AM:
Good morning from CONSOL Energy Center! Today the Pens will hit the ice at about noon for practice before they fly to eastern Pennsylvania. The Pens will play cross-state rival Philadelphia in Game 6 at Wells Fargo Center Sunday at noon.

--Michelle Crechiolo

Last edited by Ugene Malkin: 04-21-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old
04-21-2012, 12:55 PM
DeadGator401

I said it Wednesday, if the pens could win games 4 and 5, the amount of pressure on philly to win game 6 is incredible.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:56 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGator401 View Post
I said it Wednesday, if the pens could win games 4 and 5, the amount of pressure on philly to win game 6 is incredible.
Game 6 is do or die for Philly.

If it goes to 7, momentum and home ice will tip the scales hugely in favor of the Pens.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
DeadGator401

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post

If it goes to 7, momentum and home ice will tip the scales hugely in favor of the Pens.
absolutely. With the way Fluery played game, I feel confident the Pens can win in philly again.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Pfnf

take this series back to pittsburgh!

Old
04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post

I think that was Game 5 for Philly. I've been saying that if we win 4 and 5, we have the series. 6 and 7 will be tough but I think the deeper it goes the easier the games become for the Pens. More momentum our way and more pressure and second guessing themselves their way.

They will start to try to do too much, draw penalties and we'll take advantage of it.

They haven't scored an even strength goal since Max scored in Game 3. So staying out of the box is a MUST!

Old
04-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Alesle

We've got a good chance, but Philly are still favorites. Hoping we go 11 F 7 D again.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:13 PM
MtlPenFan

Just gonna copy and paste what I wrote for last pre-game: With changes beginning with Edit and in bold.

You take a lot of flak on these boards. A lot of it is needless and subjective because in the end, it's always easiest to blame the coach. For the most part I have your back, partly because I think you're a good young coach who's still learning, and partly because I think that in this sport in particular, the coaching angle is often overplayed.

However, as one of your bigger backers, I may turn on you if the following doesn't happen tomorrow.

1) The dressing of 7 defenseman:

You did it during our Cup Run, and it worked, as it worked last night. It forced you to play your best forwards more often, move pieces around and it gave your counterpart fits. He admitted to as much on National Television. Having Staal/Crosby/Malkin taking turns centering the fourth line is a good thing.

2) Keep Martin OFF the ice:

I know you're in a tough spot Dan, because your GM still has this guy signed to another 3 years, but he needs to sit again, injury or not. The man is a liability despite his salary, and if we're going to get burned by mistakes, let it be the kids that make them. Strait and Despres NEED to play.

3) Tangradi & Vitale in, Park out, and more importantly, Adams out:

We need speed/youthful exubarism. While I'm not sold on Tangradi (I really, REALLY want him to put someone through the boards on one of these hits) I really liked what I saw last night despite a couple of mistakes in the D zone. Think about it Dan. With one less forward, you can throw in any of our big centers between those two and technically have another "first" line every 4th shift. Get out of your comfort zone in rolling your lines. EDIT: PK still sorta blew, but Adams made big block near the end to seal the game, so I get it. If Vitale isn't 100% and at full speed, Adams needs to be in.

4) Neal off the PP, or Sid in Kunitz's spot:

The PP looked great last night. Good movement, great results, and no danger of Philly scoring a shorty even once. Sometimes, when something looks good even when you have your leading PP scorer out of the lineup, you have to stick with it. IF Neal's back on the first unit, put Sid in Kuni's spot and be done with it. Enough of having Sid back at the point.

5) Screw the Stretch Pass and stick to what you did yesterday

Honestly, of all the nitpicking that goes on about your tactics, this is the one I wholeheartedly agree with. Teams are waiting for it, and it's failed miserably against Philly and your counterpart. The breakout yesterday was beautiful, and most importantly, a significant, visible adjustment you made. If there was nothing there, forwards curled back, and it looked like a PP breakout even though it was 5 on 5. If Laviolette wants to counter by sending two men instead of staying in a 1-4, THEN you burn them with the stretch. Edit: I can't complain too much because it worked on the Staal goal, but it needed to be a perfect play. We SORT of reverted back to it last night, and I'd like to see it go back to game 4 where forwards curled back and broke out with support. It slows the game down and creates fewer turnovers.

6) Kirk's suggestion: Have Sid and Geno on the PK

Philly's puck movement is too dangerous, and it looks like some of the blunt instruments we use on the PK don't quite have the hockey sense (even though the heart is there) to stop it. Throw in a little wrinkle and toss Sid and Geno out there. I know the fear is that they may break something blocking a shot, but if you noticed, Philly doesn't fire from the point. Their PP is like space invaders, where after each pass they get closer and closer to our net. Have their guys feeling a little nervous knowing that a screw up won't result in a clearing down the ice, but a potential breakaway by two lethal players.

7) Have Sid take more D-Zone draws:

We almost got burned last night because we couldn't win draws, and you brought Crosby in a little too late (and he ended up winning the draw) Even if it means he's not on his regular line, have him take the draw, and jump off when it's safe.

8) Contest neutral zone:

Have to be harder on them in the neutral zone. While it was nice, controlled chaos IN zone, Philly had a span of 10 minutes near the end where it was a little to easy for them to gain entry. Have guys step up just a little and not be afraid to sit on the cheating forwards. Worse that'll happen is a chip in with forwards caught flat footed.

Thanks for listening Dan...

Old
04-21-2012, 01:18 PM
WVU71

Pens Inside Scoop ‏ @PensInsideScoop
Geno on his mindset for Gm6: Just be patient, play my game. Last game I had 2 big penalties, I’m a little bit nervous. So play my game

Old
04-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Mr. T

9am start. Blah.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
This series really is starting to remind me of the KalPa-Blues series I was following when in Finland.

C'mon Pens.

And god damned stupid super-early games suck. I'm not a huge fan of rolling out of bed with a hangover and heading right to the sports bar. My usual one won't even be open until the end of the first period.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
04-21-2012, 01:32 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Michalek and Nisky not at practice? Not good.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Bah, Z is probably a little banged up and Nisky put in a huge game for him on Friday. give them the day off and be ready for tomorrow.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:46 PM
WVU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Not a surprise. They need to rest.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Huge game, will be nervous but I reckon we can do it.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:10 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

While MAF played awesome last game, I'm hoping we have a little more offense going on in the next game instead of the defensive play we were doing near the end of the game.

And why the freaking early start??? I'm gonna miss the entire game because of church

Old
04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Zirakzigil

Tomorrow is my birthday, they better win for that reason alone.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
While MAF played awesome last game, I'm hoping we have a little more offense going on in the next game instead of the defensive play we were doing near the end of the game.

And why the freaking early start??? I'm gonna miss the entire game because of church
Pray for a win.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post

It's gonna be hard for him to hear you over the crowd noise at the Wells Fargo Center.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
gopens66
25-66-92

I haven't been on here all week. I've been pulling 16 hour workdays all week, therefor, I wasn't able to watch games 4 or 5. I watched three horrendous losses, and missed two incredible wins. I'm not superstitious at all, but I'm having trouble deciding whether to watch game 6 or not.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopens66 View Post
I haven't been on here all week. I've been pulling 16 hour workdays all week, therefor, I wasn't able to watch games 4 or 5. I watched three horrendous losses, and missed two incredible wins. I'm not superstitious at all, but I'm having trouble deciding whether to watch game 6 or not.
I think you know what to do. Or rather, what not to do.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

Missed the last game, friends had me out doing stuff with them for 4/20. How did Depress play/hows he lookin?

Old
04-21-2012, 03:02 PM
sexyllama

? Momentum - don't buy the Philly BS about the 3rd Period. Pens went to a version of the trap and killed off a BS Penalty.

Three Keys:
Discipline- If we don't give away 3-4 ticky-tacky penalties. We win. I think this Series is ours if we only take 1-2 penalties. Philly's Offense @ Even Strength = Bad.

Shooting- Crosby, Letang, and sometime Malkin have been guilty of passing up a shot trying to be fancy/crazy pass across middle. They need to SHOOT. When a goalie is shaky like Bryz... TAKE THE SHOT. (Summon your inner TK and shoot)

Puck Management- Don't slam 3-4 guys in the crease/center only to give a breakaway... Last two games have had 1/6 or so the amount of breakaways as the Game #1 through #3.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Koempel

It will be hell in Philly, the Flyers will probably swarm us in the beginning, so Fleury obviously needs to keep improving. Hope for a big game from the two-headed monster, they are due. Lets do this!!!

Old
04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Terrapin

The Pens certainly played their best all around game last night. The only problem is, I think Philly did too. Not sure how much momentum and confidence will play into tomorrow. Philly has to think that if not for Fleury's brillance in the 3rd, they would have won by 2 or 3 goals.

The refs really gotta do somethign about all this diving. It's beyond ridiculous now. The Flyers are making a mockery out the game with their flailing and flopping all over the place. And worse, they're also making a mockery out of our PK.

Closed Thread