HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions about signing draft picks...

Old
04-18-2012, 07:00 AM
DoggyII

vCash: 500
Questions about signing draft picks...

I have questions about draft pick rights, entry level contracts, and compensatory draft picks:

1) I know draft picks that go the college route remain the property of the drafting team until August of the year their college eligibility runs out.

I suspect draft picks that go the Juniors route remain the property of the drafting team until August of the year their Juniors eligibility runs out as well but I am not sure. I had thought it was two years but it seems to me a late birthday draftee could be drafted and still have three years of Juniors eligibility left.

What is the rule for Euros who don't play college or juniors?

2) How do ELC's work? I know an ELC is three years long and kicks in once the kid has played ten NHL games but how is value assigned to it. Is the salary slotted based on draft position or is it performance based? Can a 5th rounder argue they have exceeded expectations since being drafted and was an ELC worthy of a second rounder?

Seems to me Umby played hardball with Burke in Vancouver because he felt he was being undervalued and forced Burke into trading his right away.

Can a draft pick simply decide he doesn't want to play for the organization that drafted him? I know Will Weber eventually signed with us but what would have happened if he had decided Columbus is a screwed up organization and that they look pretty set at defenseman...I would rather play somewhere else. I know he wouldn't have gone back into the draft...does he simply become a free agent and sign anywhere he wants?

3) How do compensatory picks work? Do you get a compensatory for any draft pick you can't sign or only for players you made an ELC offer to that don't sign? If ELC's are not slotted like I asked in #3, what prevents a team from low-balling a draft pick they don't want knowing they won't sign it just to get the compensatory?

4) Is a compensatory equal to the draft slotting? If you drafted a kid in the 2nd round and he doesn't sign with you, do you get back a 2nd rounder or is it some other formula?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on these questions!

DoggyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Its my understanding that Euros that are drafted out of europe, that haven't played in North America at all, have their "rights" held indefinitely by the team that drafted them...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Kashie14

vCash: 50
I believe you can only get a compensatory pick for an unsigned first rounder. The pick you get back is lower than the one sent, like between 2nd and 3rd or something. You don't have to make an offer on the player. A couple years ago NJ took a flier on an injured player in the first round because they didn't like the players available when they were up. They figured if he heals and gets back into gear, great, if not then they get the compensatory.

Kashie14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:19 AM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Its my understanding that Euros that are drafted out of europe, that haven't played in North America at all, have their "rights" held indefinitely by the team that drafted them...
No, that changed with the new CBA. It's the same for Euros as it is for CHLers.

That's why the Jackets still have the rights to Sergei Mozyakin but any Euros that they draft now they have to sign or they'll be free agents.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote