HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9 years after I lived there, are there still only 2 Ice Rinks in Nashville?

Old
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
beenhereandthere

vCash: 500
9 years after I lived there, are there still only 2 Ice Rinks in Nashville?

Granted the place in the City itself and the facility in Franklin had (or have) 2 rinks each, but with the way the Preds have taken off, it's very surprising that a 3rd ice facility has not been added.
Only 4 sheets and 2 actual buildings seems to drive up the cost for ice time big time and just puts stress on ice time.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:38 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Granted the place in the City itself and the facility in Franklin had (or have) 2 rinks each, but with the way the Preds have taken off, it's very surprising that a 3rd ice facility has not been added.
Only 4 sheets and 2 actual buildings seems to drive up the cost for ice time big time and just puts stress on ice time.
Im guessing during the 4 years of economic downturn that have been going on there hasnt been much interest in making a commitment like that

and before the economy went bad there was the doubt about the preds future in town..

hopefully the team goes on a deep run this year and becomes a perennial championship contender... that should spur demand, i would think..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Rinks are multi-million dollar buildings with exorbitant utilities costs. We'd all like more of them available, but, they are risky and costly investments under the best circumstances.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Only 2 that I can think of, Centennial Sportplex and A-Games Sportsplex in Franklin

ChesterCopperpot1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:45 PM
smitty10

Weird to think that a city as big as Nashville only has a couple hockey rinks. The town I live in (a suburb of Toronto) has 2 ice rinks with 5 pads and we only have just over 100,000 people. We're currently building another rink with 4 ice pads as well.

I hope this run builds interest in hockey for young kids in Tennessee. Nashville is a great hockey market that should be seeing huge growth with this years playoff run.

Go Preds!

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:15 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Weird to think that a city as big as Nashville only has a couple hockey rinks. The town I live in (a suburb of Toronto) has 2 ice rinks with 5 pads and we only have just over 100,000 people. We're currently building another rink with 4 ice pads as well.

I hope this run builds interest in hockey for young kids in Tennessee. Nashville is a great hockey market that should be seeing huge growth with this years playoff run.

Go Preds!
Yeah but it's Canada. They treat hockey like we do football.

Centennial has 2 rinks and so does A games I believe.

True story, my friend and I were at centennial about 3 years ago to get a skate in...we actually snuck over to the 2nd rink(not open to the public) and skates on some I the best ice Ive ever been on. It's also the rink the Preds practice on too...oh the memories

BTW: having the Preds has increased interest exponentially. How many HS hockey programs were here before the Preds? I'd say close to zero. Now there are many more

Old
04-18-2012, 11:21 PM
wadesworld

Didn't MBA build a rink? If not, I think they have plans to.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:23 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

personally, I think the demand is there for a third rink, in the boro, hendersonville, or mt. juliet. I am sure people would like to quit playing hockey at midnight every week

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
personally, I think the demand is there for a third rink, in the boro, hendersonville, or mt. juliet. I am sure people would like to quit playing hockey at midnight every week
murfreesboro should be first choice imo... plenty of demand and people.. would also get everyone from smyrna possibly lavergne.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:53 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Rinks are multi-million dollar buildings with exorbitant utilities costs. We'd all like more of them available, but, they are risky and costly investments under the best circumstances.
This. I have heard LOTS of rumors over the last 5 years or so about building another rink. One was actually approved I think in Murfreesboro but the guy who proposed it investors backed out I believe.

Also I know a guy who 3-4 years ago had a group together with a plan to bring one out towards Mt. Juliet. Good thing he didn't do it. At the time he had a very successful business but it died out on him.

It is VERY expensive to maintain ice rinks. Looking at the two we have now one is government subsidized and the other almost went under.

A-game sportsplex is the only privately owned ice rink in the Nashville area and when it was just an ice rink facility they about went under. It took new ownership and new ventures to keep that place alive. Also it took Stevie Sullivan and a few other Preds contributing a lot of money in exchange for ownership. That place couldn't survive as just an ice rink. Now they have a physical therapy place, yoga business, Basketball/Volleyball courts, laser tag and a new sporting apparel store there.

I thought I heard one sheet of ice was going to be up in Lebanon. In fact I thought someone made a thread about it here. Not sure about that though.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:51 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post

I thought I heard one sheet of ice was going to be up in Lebanon. In fact I thought someone made a thread about it here. Not sure about that though.
I think that was just about getting a minor league hockey team though.

Hell I live in Bowling Green and there is no ice here. How am I, just turned 30 this past Saturday, supposed to learn how to skate with no ice?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:28 AM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
A-game sportsplex is the only privately owned ice rink in the Nashville area and when it was just an ice rink facility they about went under. It took new ownership and new ventures to keep that place alive. Also it took Stevie Sullivan and a few other Preds contributing a lot of money in exchange for ownership. That place couldn't survive as just an ice rink. Now they have a physical therapy place, yoga business, Basketball/Volleyball courts, laser tag and a new sporting apparel store there.
Let's be honest, the rink nearly failed before because of inefficient hardware maintaining the ice and ownership that did much better at real estate then they did at facilities management. New chillers have made a bit of a difference. And all of those additional businesses paying rent certainly helps, but last I heard hockey is paying for the basketball courts, not the other way around.

And to the original poster, yes, ice time is at a premium during the winter. Youth programs are growing, adult programs are growing, high school programs growing etc etc.

Last edited by jlsg: 04-19-2012 at 09:35 AM.
jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

As hard as it is to accept and admit, ice hockey is very low on the priority list for many people in the area, much less the government. Even with the great growth of the Preds fan base and the widespread acceptance of Preds hockey at the NHL level, that doesn't mean everyone is clamoring for the building of new and expensive rinks to play on. It's unfortunate that rinks are so expensive to build and maintain but with everything going on in the area, and the tight budgets I'm sure the government is up against, the lack of rinks shouldn't be a reflection of how well hockey has been received here.

I think the widespread growth of the Preds is the next step in the process of Nashville as a big-time hockey market. We now have a generation of adults who were young when the team began playing, and now they buy their own tickets and follow them, etc. Kids these days have no idea what or was like (or weren't alive yet) to not have the Preds as a part of sports culture in Nashville. That younger generation is now playing hockey in bigger numbers than ever before, and as the years go on, they grow up and have families, etc, the number of kids playing will grow even more. Add in that, and the continued growth of population of the area, and the demand for rinks will grow to a point where it will be hard to ignore. It's just not there yet.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Now that the team is on better financial footing, it would be great to see them follow the Stars example in Dallas and become involved in getting more sheets of ice around town. There's no need for a special purpose, stand alone building ... do like they did in Grapevine Mills and put a rink in a mall.

Governments can't afford to get into the ice rink business right now. The team, partnering with local investors is really the only option.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Let's be honest, the rink nearly failed before because of inefficient hardware maintaining the ice and ownership that did much better at real estate then they did at facilities management. New chillers have made a bit of a difference. And all of those additional businesses paying rent certainly helps, but last I heard hockey is paying for the basketball courts, not the other way around.

And to the original poster, yes, ice time is at a premium during the winter. Youth programs are growing, adult programs are growing, high school programs growing etc etc.
Interesting, I'm certainly not in tune with their finances but that is awesome to hear! Hopefully new ice is on it's way in the next few years.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:53 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Now that the team is on better financial footing, it would be great to see them follow the Stars example in Dallas and become involved in getting more sheets of ice around town. There's no need for a special purpose, stand alone building ... do like they did in Grapevine Mills and put a rink in a mall.

Governments can't afford to get into the ice rink business right now. The team, partnering with local investors is really the only option.
actually, they should get in touch with Dolly Parton.... Isn't she building a water/ snow park at Opry Mills.... and getting tax breaks.... Would be a good place to perhaps add an ice rink over there...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

My post didn't post.... hmmmm

Anyway, I've heard that the people in Murfreesboro are still trying so there's a glimmer of hope there.

I'd just like to see atleast the roller hockey rinks in better order. My son is playing inline and while the LaVergne rink has nice boards, the surface is horrible. Not to mention the organization of the actual league is lacking, but that's a different subject.

I'd love to have more ice here. I can't afford for Nick to play ice right now and even if I could, I can't get to either rink before 6 pm. I'd also like it if the adult league games didn't have 10:50 p.m. starts, my boss would really like that one....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
My post didn't post.... hmmmm

Anyway, I've heard that the people in Murfreesboro are still trying so there's a glimmer of hope there.

I'd just like to see atleast the roller hockey rinks in better order. My son is playing inline and while the LaVergne rink has nice boards, the surface is horrible. Not to mention the organization of the actual league is lacking, but that's a different subject.

I'd love to have more ice here. I can't afford for Nick to play ice right now and even if I could, I can't get to either rink before 6 pm. I'd also like it if the adult league games didn't have 10:50 p.m. starts, my boss would really like that one....
I used to play a fair amount at the rinks in Hendersonville and I remember the set up was pretty decent, including the surface. But after the 2010 flood I haven't seen how it turned out as I've been out of town for most of the time since then. I assume it's playable.....

I went to LaVergne to play a few times when I was younger and from what I remember it wasn't on par with what Hendersonville turned out to be.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I used to play a fair amount at the rinks in Hendersonville and I remember the set up was pretty decent, including the surface. But after the 2010 flood I haven't seen how it turned out as I've been out of town for most of the time since then. I assume it's playable.....

I went to LaVergne to play a few times when I was younger and from what I remember it wasn't on par with what Hendersonville turned out to be.
I live right next to the H'ville rinks. The only time I don't see kids out there playing is during the school day. Every night and all weekend the rinks are in use, even if it's just casual pickup play.

Definitely superior to Lavergne, which while I was very grateful to have plenty of access to, just seemed like a weird place to put a rink. I heard at the time that Smyrna was offered the opportunity (at Lee Victory Rec Park on Sam Ridley) but turned it down. It was only two years into the Preds existence so the town of Smyrna likely didn't have the foresight to go ahead with something like a hockey rink.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

They have set them back up. I see teams playing there all of the time.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I live right next to the H'ville rinks. The only time I don't see kids out there playing is during the school day. Every night and all weekend the rinks are in use, even if it's just casual pickup play.

Definitely superior to Lavergne, which while I was very grateful to have plenty of access to, just seemed like a weird place to put a rink. I heard at the time that Smyrna was offered the opportunity (at Lee Victory Rec Park on Sam Ridley) but turned it down. It was only two years into the Preds existence so the town of Smyrna likely didn't have the foresight to go ahead with something like a hockey rink.
I can see why Lee Victory didn't appeal to Smyrna Parks, the parking there is already awful on baseball and football weekend, I can't imagine it getting worse.

We had a wonderful inline rink in Franklin that's now D1 Sports, wish we had something on par with it.

If Hendersonville wasn't so far away I'd check that program out for my son. Just not real happy with the Youth Inc, league.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Both of my sons want to play hockey now, and one has started skating lessons. Its a haul from Greenbrier to the sportsplex. It would be nice to have an ice rink in Hendersonville because we spend alot of time there anyway.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:51 PM
VFL615*

I think the best chance of getting one soon is what they are trying to work out in Lebanon with the mall/minor league hockey building. I do not know what going on with it recently but i hear it is still on the table.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
actually, they should get in touch with Dolly Parton.... Isn't she building a water/ snow park at Opry Mills.... and getting tax breaks.... Would be a good place to perhaps add an ice rink over there...

Not a bad idea....they're supposed to break ground on that park this year...it's gonna be across briley pkwy from opryland. I for one have never understood why the opryland hotel didn't have a sheet of ice...