Hockey in Britain part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
villevalo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Was not expecting that at all. Seriously the amount of rumours that were floating around, and none of them were true
The signings the Beavers made tonight made me cry a little. They'll be up there for trophies this season.

Old
05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 725
Confirmed Ben Bowns to the EIHL, which team is still unknown, my money is on Stingrays.

http://www.sheffieldsteeldogs.co.uk/...spx?NewsID=316

Bottom 3 paragraphs of the article.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Confirmed Ben Bowns to the EIHL, which team is still unknown, my money is on Stingrays.

http://www.sheffieldsteeldogs.co.uk/...spx?NewsID=316

Bottom 3 paragraphs of the article.
First time I might follow a players progress into the EIHL. I haven't been following British hockey long enough, first time one of them really grew up Stephen Lee doesn't count, he seems like he was always in the EIHL. I hope he goes to a decent team so he has some help in front of him and I also help he isn't stuck playing 3 games this season.

Old
05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Jack Prince, Captain of the Texas Tornado (NAHL) are currently competing for the Robertson Cup.

I still can't believe no NCAA has him locked up for next season, especially with his size. Very possible he has offers and simply hasn't decided but hopefully something is confirmed after this big NAHL tournament.

Texas lost game one of the tournament 3-2 in OT but a loss in game one is far from the end of the tournament for Texas. Prince finished with an assist in the game and an even +/-, 2 shots 2 PIMs.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
First time I might follow a players progress into the EIHL. I haven't been following British hockey long enough, first time one of them really grew up Stephen Lee doesn't count, he seems like he was always in the EIHL. I hope he goes to a decent team so he has some help in front of him and I also help he isn't stuck playing 3 games this season.
Bowns said he would only leave the Steeldogs to be a starter in the EIHL. It won't be Cardiff, Nottingham or Coventry since they already have import #1's signed. I just realised Hull are having ownership problems right now and haven't signed anyone else yet, so it's probably unlikely they have signed him. I think it's unlikely the Steelers or Belfast will take a chance on him to be honest, so that just leaves the Scottish teams, hopefully Braehead.

Bowns is the future GB starter for sure.

Old
05-04-2012, 06:36 AM
PuddlesTheDuck

I doubt it would be Hull until they have sorted out their ownership situation and signed a coach.

Steelers sign Danny Meyers, so we will be going with 6 D next season with both Thomas and Meyers and 4 imports.

I wonder how much of the budget signing all these Brits has taken.
That's now Shields, Tait, Hewitt, Thomas, Phillips, Esders, Wood, Meyers and Woolhouse.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Apparently the EIHL will be announcing an import rule change soon.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Jack Prince had no production tonight but Texas still won 5-4 in game two of the Robertson Cup. All six teams are 1-1-0 lol Should be an interesting night tomorrow for the tournament.

Old
05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Sorry, but i am the British HF daddy. 6.8k posts. 8 years. 23 infractions.
I guess that makes me the grandaddy then..

Old
05-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:

Speaking of imports who had kids who play hockey, anyone have any clue if Brendan or Brett Perlini have any interest in playing for Great Britain?
No interest. They played for England as schoolboys (where nationality doesnt matter) but never for a British team to maintain their Canadian eligibility.

You mention Scott Conway.. there's perhaps a chance there as he was named to a squad but didnt play.

Old
05-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
No interest. They played for England as schoolboys (where nationality doesnt matter) but never for a British team to maintain their Canadian eligibility.

You mention Scott Conway.. there's perhaps a chance there as he was named to a squad but didnt play.
As I was saying to 99 problems in a private message, judging by their twitter accounts they may have more interest than you think.
One is 17 the other is 16. Conway was eligible for the U18s and named to the team but was still in playoffs with Victory Honda (They're actually still at a tournament right now) he's still eligible for the U18's next year and Perlini was only a 15 year old by IIHF standards, I doubt they even contacted him and he was also still playing during the U18's. U18 is one of the worst timed tournaments going, Canada usually sends a third of the best talent because the best is still in major junior playoffs.

A Conway-Perlini-Stewart line on the U20's in the 2014 WJC would be the most Americanized British line in GB U20 history

Old
05-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Quote:
You've read that on THF, not the best place if you're looking for cold hard facts. Like Adam said Brendan isn't even old enough to play for the U18s and they have commitments to their teams anyway.

Old
05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
You've read that on THF, not the best place if you're looking for cold hard facts. Like Adam said Brendan isn't even old enough to play for the U18s and they have commitments to their teams anyway.
Eliteprospects is a little bit behind on Perlini's page. They still have him as a Michigan State commit but he actually said outright multiple times he was going to Barrie and if I'm not mistaken he already went to their Rookie Camp a couple weeks ago. I'll be talking to somebody soon in Barrie about Perlini to see what's going on there.

Old
05-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Me: single handedly eliminating clutching and grabbing from English hockey, and proving make-up calls don't exist since 2008

I had a fun day today, it's Hull conference tournament weekend so a lot of refs were up there, meaning I got the call to do U12's and U14's on my own in Bracknell, an OLYMPIC SIZE ice pad. I thought meh it's B league 12's and 14's it won't be too difficult, but man did they make me skate hard it's alright doing a game on your own in smaller rinks like Gosport or Isle of Wight, and I once did a beer league game on my own in Swindon which isn't as long as NHL, but on an international pad it was just ridiculous. Was glad I took my dad's Civic Sport today so I could use cruise control, really needed it after those 2 games

And OT but for the first time in the 2 years I've been driving to Basingstoke every week there weren't any roadworks on the M4!! maybe they will build more rinks with the money they are saving lol yeah right, they're probably increasing the defense budget since the Argentinians are getting moody over the Falkland Islands again, but that's for the politics forum.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:36 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I guess that makes me the grandaddy then..

Given you support Phoenix, one could say you are beyond the grave

Old
05-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

But neither of you support a British team so you're not truly "British" hockey fans

Old
05-06-2012, 11:58 AM
villevalo

I do believe I am the only one here with a season ticket to their team.

So, checkmate

Old
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post

So, checkmate
That is abit like Louie spence telling somebody he thinks their performance is over the top and fake.

Old
05-06-2012, 02:22 PM
villevalo

Quote:
That is abit like Louie spence telling somebody he thinks their performance is over the top and fake.
By that do you mean that I am doing a pot calling the kettle black type of thing?

Old
05-06-2012, 03:45 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
By that do you mean that I am doing a pot calling the kettle black type of thing?
Ahaha, sort of. Was merely jesting at you having a season ticket, or rather, it being check mate to us

Old
05-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Did another game by myself today, women's div1 in Basingstoke. Had to call more clutching and grabbing interference penalties it sickens me.

Also the rumours of Cardiff folding their ENL1 team are true, the Cardiff women's team coach told me today. Ragan is scrapping them to save costs since none of them pay to play, I think this could really hurt Cardiff's development program, some good players have come through that team. He said there's a chance Mark Cuddihy could run the team independently from the Devils but that would cost a lot of money since a lot of guys at that level won't pay to play.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
villevalo

Quote:
Ahaha, sort of. Was merely jesting at you having a season ticket, or rather, it being check mate to us
Ahh I see. Well mine was kind of a jest too, but if we are talking about what 99 Problems says as a 'true British ice hockey fan'; I think having a season ticket to Bees, supporting local British hockey makes me one.

Oh and I guess 99 Problems is as well, being one of the three blind mice

Old
05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
villevalo

Quote:
Did another game by myself today, women's div1 in Basingstoke. Had to call more clutching and grabbing interference penalties it sickens me.

Also the rumours of Cardiff folding their ENL1 team are true, the Cardiff women's team coach told me today. Ragan is scrapping them to save costs since none of them pay to play, I think this could really hurt Cardiff's development program, some good players have come through that team. He said there's a chance Mark Cuddihy could run the team independently from the Devils but that would cost a lot of money since a lot of guys at that level won't pay to play.
Its a hard choice, does Regan pay for a team to play in a league and hope it helps the couple of young Cardiff lads in the team or does he kill it off and hope ENL2 will be good enough. He's said if they do axe the ENL1 side it wont be forever, just a few years, so I guess when the Devils move to that new rink they may start to turn a slight slight profit the ENL1 side can start up again. With Oxford and probably Slough and Bristol leaving ENL1 it could be a good move.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Quote:
Jack Prince, Captain of the Texas Tornado (NAHL) are currently competing for the Robertson Cup.

I still can't believe no NCAA has him locked up for next season, especially with his size. Very possible he has offers and simply hasn't decided but hopefully something is confirmed after this big NAHL tournament.

Texas lost game one of the tournament 3-2 in OT but a loss in game one is far from the end of the tournament for Texas. Prince finished with an assist in the game and an even +/-, 2 shots 2 PIMs.
I asked about him in the NAHL thread and someone said a lot of players still in the playoffs will hold out incase they get offers from a better school

Old
05-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Maccas

Quote:

So, checkmate
Not the only one

Closed Thread