Hockey in Britain part 2

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Scarecrow Boat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I asked about him in the NAHL thread and someone said a lot of players still in the playoffs will hold out incase they get offers from a better school
Ye that's what I started to assume and that write up below touches on that.

Well Prince added to his resume by winning the 2011-12 Mark Messier Leadership Award:
Quote:
2011-12 Mark Messier Leadership Award: Jack Prince, Texas Tornado
Jack embodies everything Mark Messier was as a player and remains today as an ambassador of hockey. Jack came to the United States from the United Kingdom (England) as an unpolished and inexperienced hockey player. He was big, but was told he was slow. Upon his arrival in Texas, Prince flourished and immediately emerged as a leader in his first season, registering 50 points. However, it was Jack's off the ice demeanor and leadership that was just as important. Prince often took the lead to all the Tornado community outreach events like visiting area schools to talk about the important of reading and nutrition, or visiting area hospitals during the holidays to bring stuffed animals to sick children, if only to bring a smile to their face for one day. Jack also never passes up an opportunity to talk to fans, making sure that every autograph is signed and every hand is shaken before leaving the arena. In his second year in the NAHL, he scored even more points (60) and he also had the rare opportunity to represent his native England at the IIHF Division I World Junior Championships, where he led the tournament in scoring and helped England to 2nd place finish. In his final junior season the NAHL, he totaled 78 points and became the all-time leading scorer in the 12-year history of the Texas Tornado. His 39 goals ranked second in the NAHL this season and as the captain, Jack not only let his play lead his team, but also his composure. He plays the game with a respect for his opponents, only totaling just 87 penalty minutes in three seasons. He is close to securing a NCAA Division I scholarship and embodies everything that is right about the NAHL player. He came to the league from a foreign land, grew as a player and person, developed his skill and his leadership qualities to finish as one of the most prolific scorers in NAHL history and one of the great captains and leaders in the 12-year history of the Texas Tornado and the NAHL.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Lol "England at the IIHF..." is that article by a proper professional writer? I hate it when Americans think all British people live in England

Old
05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Lol "England at the IIHF..." is that article by a proper professional writer? I hate it when Americans think all British people live in England
In fairness the writer said England three times and got it right twice. He said he's from United Kingdom (England) which is true, he represented England because he's from England and playing for the national team that represents his country, but he messed up on his third effort lol 2 out of 3 for an American isn't bad at all!

Old
05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
In fairness the writer said England three times and got it right twice. He said he's from United Kingdom (England) which is true, he represented England because he's from England and playing for the national team that represents his country, but he messed up on his third effort lol 2 out of 3 for an American isn't bad at all!
It's pretty inexcusable to be writing about an English player and not know they compete under Great Britain. That's the same as saying a Latvian was playing for Latvia back in the old Soviet days, it sounds completely retarded when you think of it that way.

But I guess ice hockey is the only major team sport (excluding football at the Olympics) where we compete as a united country, though if Sepp Blatter and FIFA could have their way we would be playing football as Great Britain.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
It's pretty inexcusable to be writing about an English player and not know they compete under Great Britain. That's the same as saying a Latvian was playing for Latvia back in the old Soviet days, it sounds completely retarded when you think of it that way.

But I guess ice hockey is the only major team sport (excluding football at the Olympics) where we compete as a united country, though if Sepp Blatter and FIFA could have their way we would be playing football as Great Britain.
People from the U.K call Canadians "Americans" all the time, we just never complain "a boot" it

Texas is playing right now, you have to pay to watch it on fasthockey.com but you can see live updates here:
http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/...ointstreak.com

If I'm not mistaken winner goes to the Championship game against St. Louis.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
People from the U.K call Canadians "Americans" all the time, we just never complain "a boot" it

Texas is playing right now, you have to pay to watch it on fasthockey.com but you can see live updates here:
http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/...ointstreak.com

If I'm not mistaken winner goes to the Championship game against St. Louis.
That's because to us the accents sound the same so we can't tell the difference

I've seen so many Americans argue that "there is no such thing as an 'American' accent" but they have no idea to me there are only two accents in America; 'American' and 'redneck southern' I'm sure people from for example New York and California have different accents but I would have to spend a significant amount of time with people who have those accents before I would be able to tell the difference.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
That's because to us the accents sound the same so we can't tell the difference

I've seen so many Americans argue that "there is no such thing as an 'American' accent" but they have no idea to me there are only two accents in America; 'American' and 'redneck southern' I'm sure people from for example New York and California have different accents but I would have to spend a significant amount of time with people who have those accents before I would be able to tell the difference.
There are so many different accents in the USA that I wouldn't be able to call one "American." So many states have distinct accents. Like a thick New Yorker accent and Boston accent are very very very different and they're only 4 hours apart from each other Then you have your "red neck" accent in the southeast, then you got the accent in the northern states like Wisconsin or North Dakota that sounds exactly like the accent the stereotypical "Canadian accent" which makes no sense. They try to make fun of our accent as if they don't have ridiculous ones in their country People will never understand that every country has a group of people with accents that make them sound ridiculously stupid.

We have our accents such as Torontonian accent, Quebecois accent or East Coast (Maritimer) accent which to me is the most redneck. I don't know the Western accents but I can usually tell where a fellow Canadian is from by the way they speak. I throw people off with mine because I refused to talk with the ridiculous accent of redneck'ish area. I've repressed it so much that I can't even imitate it which I'm happy with hahaha

If Prince was holding out for after this tournament, he may be hurting his stock, he hasn't done much of anything offensively. Games tied 2-2 halfway through.

Any news on Ben Bowns, if not, any idea when news will be made?

Old
05-08-2012, 06:15 AM
villevalo

Doubt it'll be Hull seeing as they are all still pissing about over the evaluation of the club...or lack of it it seems.

I'll throw my hat in for Coventry, what with their signing of a slightly shakey Hirsch, I think Thompson will want a dependable No 2 who could take an 80/20 70/30 split in the starts.

In more important news Bees sign two more in Lack and Bronniman very happy with that

Old
05-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Alpine

Quote:
There are so many different accents in the USA that I wouldn't be able to call one "American." So many states have distinct accents. Like a thick New Yorker accent and Boston accent are very very very different and they're only 4 hours apart from each other Then you have your "red neck" accent in the southeast, then you got the accent in the northern states like Wisconsin or North Dakota that sounds exactly like the accent the stereotypical "Canadian accent" which makes no sense. They try to make fun of our accent as if they don't have ridiculous ones in their country People will never understand that every country has a group of people with accents that make them sound ridiculously stupid.

We have our accents such as Torontonian accent, Quebecois accent or East Coast (Maritimer) accent which to me is the most redneck. I don't know the Western accents but I can usually tell where a fellow Canadian is from by the way they speak. I throw people off with mine because I refused to talk with the ridiculous accent of redneck'ish area. I've repressed it so much that I can't even imitate it which I'm happy with hahaha

If Prince was holding out for after this tournament, he may be hurting his stock, he hasn't done much of anything offensively. Games tied 2-2 halfway through.

Any news on Ben Bowns, if not, any idea when news will be made?
Hey now my Chiac is perfect....worry pas la.
I can'r tell the difference between Brits, Aussies, Kiwis or South Africans so how the hell do you expect a Brit to tell the Diff in NA acents unless it's Newfoundlander to Alabama?
Acadian to Cajun?
I was standing on the sidewalk on Main St a year ago and a couple of ladies from Scotland came up to me asking for instructions to the Via (train) station and they kept saying WEE AH instead of VEE AH plus a whole bunch else really fast........I didn't have a freaking clue untill I asked them to write it on my note pad........true story.
I could get into the recent influx of African French immigrants and trying to understand them if you want?
What's all this I read about ENL1 teams folding?
Are they dropping to ENL2 because it's a pay to play league or just ceasing operations? Will more current ENL2 teams want to move up to fill the void.

Last edited by Alpine: 05-08-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
villevalo

Slough's problem was that at the start of the season they said to their players that they wouldnt be pay to play players and some weeks into the season Zoran (the owner) flip flopped and changed it completely, its become apparent that he cant afford to put all the teams out without some pay to play guys, which is fair enough as he keeps hockey alive in Slough somehow.

Oxford's situation came from a late season mutiny from the players concerning the new coach the management put in, apparently none of the players wanted the coach and voiced their concerns and the management put him in anyway, there are other issues but that was the main one I think.

Bristol's situation revolves around their rink, the land owners want to turn it into student flats, and basically theres a big ol' hoo hah over whether the rink stays or is demolished or its demolished and a new rink gets built somewhere else in the city, I havent heard much news from that for a while, discussions are still on going at the moment.

As explained earlier, Paul Regan cant afford to keep all the Cardiff teams going and so for the best he's decided to get rid of the ENL1 side for at least a few seasons.

The simple fact is that if all problems are/get resolved we could see at least 3 of these teams ice an ENL1 side, or we could see all 4 not ice an ENL1 side.

I think only Solent and Gosport Devils are making the move up as they got promotion and I assume that they wont make Streatham move down.

I have heard some rumours of the MK Thunder not icing an ENL1 side although I'm not sure of that tbh.

If all the 4 as mentioned dont ice, then it will leave an 8 team league assuming that S&G Devils are the only promoted team and that there are no plans to relegate any teams.

At any rate the league will want to run with even numbers and have enough for a decent length season. Looking at it from an EPL perspective the ENL1 is becoming more and more like the EPL was some seasons ago.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

There needs to be a re-structure, it's as simple as that. The instability of the leagues is getting ridiculous now.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Any updated on that import rule change or did I that post?

Old
05-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Any updated on that import rule change or did I that post?
Haven't heard anything else, there has been a lot of speculation on what it might be though. Things I've heard thrown around include 2 Brits on the ice, reduction in number to 9, dual nationals not counted as imports, players from other EU countries not counted as imports like in the French league.

Though that's just pure speculation and I saw some of those on THF

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Haven't heard anything else, there has been a lot of speculation on what it might be though. Things I've heard thrown around include 2 Brits on the ice, reduction in number to 9, dual nationals not counted as imports, players from other EU countries not counted as imports like in the French league.

Though that's just pure speculation and I saw some of those on THF
Import rules are something I have very little knowledge of, but IMO, if a guy is in GB long enough to become a dual citizen, he should no longer be considered an import. They don't give that out to just anybody like they do here in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if they said "Oh you had a great uncle that visited Toronto when he was 13? Ye you're a Canadian!"

So it took 6 years to fill up the first Hockey in Britain thread to 1000 posts (Exactly 2300 days actually) and in 21 days in the 2nd thread we are at 263 posts hahaha

Last edited by Scarecrow Boat: 05-08-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Giants re-sign Murphy

Old
05-09-2012, 09:20 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
So it took 6 years to fill up the first Hockey in Britain thread to 1000 posts (Exactly 2300 days actually) and in 21 days in the 2nd thread we are at 263 posts hahaha
I started that thread when i was 16. A prime candidate for hard nosed predators of the night.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:01 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Import rules are something I have very little knowledge of, but IMO, if a guy is in GB long enough to become a dual citizen, he should no longer be considered an import. They don't give that out to just anybody like they do here in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if they said "Oh you had a great uncle that visited Toronto when he was 13? Ye you're a Canadian!"

Whilst I agree in part, its the difference between being an import and a citizen. If they get duel citizenship then they are a citizen and are able to play for GB but it still doesnt change the fact that they grew up and played a chunk of their youth in another country.

If the rules were changed to allows duel nats as Brits then you'd find teams like Panthers and Giants signing up all the best duel nats and the 10 imports and the best Brits, unfortunately it'd just add to the gap.

Slightly related, for EPL, I'd like to see the import rules change to allow any import to come in instead of just EU and duel nats. Just think of all the NA young players coming out of university wanting to see a bit of the world and play a bit of hockey. We'd certainly get a damn few more Ozolin type players if we did that.

Old
05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Whilst I agree in part, its the difference between being an import and a citizen. If they get duel citizenship then they are a citizen and are able to play for GB but it still doesnt change the fact that they grew up and played a chunk of their youth in another country.

If the rules were changed to allows duel nats as Brits then you'd find teams like Panthers and Giants signing up all the best duel nats and the 10 imports and the best Brits, unfortunately it'd just add to the gap.

Slightly related, for EPL, I'd like to see the import rules change to allow any import to come in instead of just EU and duel nats. Just think of all the NA young players coming out of university wanting to see a bit of the world and play a bit of hockey. We'd certainly get a damn few more Ozolin type players if we did that.
I saw somewhere that a dual nationals rule change would only to be to cater for players like Oli Bronnimann who aren't classed as imports under EIHA rules but are under EIHL rules, not to make players like Corey Neilson classed as Brits.

The EPL specifically doesn't allow non-EU passport holding North Americans to play so it can get around the laws and classify itself as a development league, until the league becomes fully professional they will never change that.

Old
05-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Jack Prince and the Texas Tornado took the Robertson Cup in OT against St. Louis.

Badass mustache on Jack Prince:

http://robertsoncup.com/news/story.cfm?id=5582

He finished with 2 assists in the final including an assist on the OT winner.

This video is pretty cool too:

* Notice in the video, the Rangers jersey with the C is #2 haha

Last edited by Scarecrow Boat: 05-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
villevalo

Quote:
until the league becomes fully professional they will never change that.
It cant be far off that though surely, teams like Guildford putting hundreds of thousands into their team each season, who knows when a couple more Elite teams decide enough is enough and step down.

I know there should be a semi pro league based on development but the EPL is no longer that anymore, allow teams 4 more imports and its another BNL.

Time for EIHA restructure, give the EPL option of at least two more imports, make it a pro league, have ENL1 become the next EPL perhaps with 3 imports and a minimum brits on ice rule and have ENL2 only 1 import. Elite teams can negotiate with the EIHA when their league finally dies

Old
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
It cant be far off that though surely, teams like Guildford putting hundreds of thousands into their team each season, who knows when a couple more Elite teams decide enough is enough and step down.

I know there should be a semi pro league based on development but the EPL is no longer that anymore, allow teams 4 more imports and its another BNL.

Time for EIHA restructure, give the EPL option of at least two more imports, make it a pro league, have ENL1 become the next EPL perhaps with 3 imports and a minimum brits on ice rule and have ENL2 only 1 import. Elite teams can negotiate with the EIHA when their league finally dies
It is, right now only the imports and a select few Brits in the EPL are professional and don't have day jobs. Some people would even argue that the EIHL isn't fully professional yet.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Alpine

Quote:
It is, right now only the imports and a select few Brits in the EPL are professional and don't have day jobs. Some people would even argue that the EIHL isn't fully professional yet.
You have to look no farther than the role of player/coach.
It is very rare in today's pro hockey world but still common in the UK.
But EIHL is moving to having pro fulltime coaches

Old
05-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
You have to look no farther than the role of player/coach.
It is very rare in today's pro hockey world but still common in the UK.
But EIHL is moving to having pro fulltime coaches
Precisely.

Old
05-11-2012, 07:38 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

vCash: 50
The word on twitter is that Steve Murphy has signed to play in sweden after he agreed terms with belfast
Quote:
David Simms ‏ @Simmsey
Someone just posted on my FB that @Trojajerry1 has just signed @31Murph - any truth - dont like being the 2nd to know anything
This will surely be a spanner in the giants works

Old
05-11-2012, 07:55 AM
villevalo

Completely ****s the Giants plans if true, Murphy is a player you can build a team around.

Lol wonder if Lyle will get a call in the next few days

Closed Thread