Popular demand

vCash: 0
Highlights of junior national finals and conference weekend here:

http://www.youtube.com/eihatv

Old
06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
PuddlesTheDuck

vCash: 500
So another ex-Stingray has signed with the Stars, this time Jack Watkins.

Looks like Hutchins is trying to bring in a good core of Brits.

Old
06-06-2012, 02:51 PM
villevalo

Only got 8 points last season though, I guess Watkins has signed as the 10th forward?

Edit: Slightly GB hockey relate/not really.

Found out today that Dean Richards, who is the manager of EA's NHL13 played for the Bees back in the mid 90's, thought that was pretty cool that he managed to stay in the sport.....sort of.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:16 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Only got 8 points last season though, I guess Watkins has signed as the 10th forward?

Edit: Slightly GB hockey relate/not really.

Found out today that Dean Richards, who is the manager of EA's NHL13 played for the Bees back in the mid 90's, thought that was pretty cool that he managed to stay in the sport.....sort of.
HA I was going to mention that a few months ago and I didn't bother. Wasn't sure how many people played the NHL Series in GB.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Highlights of junior national finals and conference weekend here:

http://www.youtube.com/eihatv
Who's the clown that runs that rink the U16s Junior Final video? 2 Zamboni's to clean the ice, neither of them have advertisement sold on them and the boards are nearly completely empty... Make some ing money

Also seems like they put the two smallest kids in net. Celebrations are sooooo weak too haha I have to pick on these super minor details. That Olegs Lascenko kid had a dandy clapper goal (2nd goal for Romford) What kind of British Ice hockey name is Olegs Lascenko lol

Old
06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Who's the clown that runs that rink the U16s Junior Final video? 2 Zamboni's to clean the ice, neither of them have advertisement sold on them and the boards are nearly completely empty... Make some ing money

Also seems like they put the two smallest kids in net. Celebrations are sooooo weak too haha I have to pick on these super minor details. That Olegs Lascenko kid had a dandy clapper goal (2nd goal for Romford) What kind of British Ice hockey name is Olegs Lascenko lol
I'm not sure who runs Ice Sheffield but it's easily one of the most well rinks in the country, but that's not exactly hard with the joke of a company that is Planet Ice running a lot of them.

To be fair it is basically Sheffield's second rink. The Steelers play out of Sheffield Arena and rarely play at Ice Sheffield so there's no point having advertisements, I doubt the Steeldogs would attract many sponsors. And no rink in the country that I've ever been to (more than half) has advertisements on the zamboni IIRC.

Teams aren't exactly spoilt for choice with goalies they have to take whoever they can get, and there's a good chance those goalies are only first year of U16's.

There are lots of EU immigrant kids who play, especially for the teams in the London area. The other good Romford kid Rutkis is another EU player.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM
3 Minute Minor

Sam Duggan looks pretty talented but he also looks like he's way too skilled to be at that level. I'd like to see him at the U16 level and looked like he could even hold his own at the U18 level. Is he directly related to Tom & Ben Duggan? My guess would be he is but I hope he isn't simply because they're such a short family lol

Old
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Sam Duggan looks pretty talented but he also looks like he's way too skilled to be at that level. I'd like to see him at the U16 level and looked like he could even hold his own at the U18 level. Is he directly related to Tom & Ben Duggan? My guess would be he is but I hope he isn't simply because they're such a short family lol
He was also top scorer on the Bracknell U16 team, he had 27 points in 16 games but that wasn't enough to get him into top 10 in the league.

Yes he is their brother, he's actually fairly big for his age. You should not trust Elite Prospects height measurements though, I've seen Tom a couple of times and there is no way he's only 5'8"

Old
06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
He was also top scorer on the Bracknell U16 team, he had 27 points in 16 games but that wasn't enough to get him into top 10 in the league.

Yes he is their brother, he's actually fairly big for his age. You should not trust Elite Prospects height measurements though, I've seen Tom a couple of times and there is no way he's only 5'8"
Any chance Sam goes to NA like his brother did? Tom got a great chance to play with the likes of Derek Stepan (NYR), Emerson Etem (ANA), and Ty Gretzky (Wayne's son). I'd be surprised if he doesn't brag about that a little bit lol

Old
06-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
Any chance Sam goes to NA like his brother did? Tom got a great chance to play with the likes of Derek Stepan (NYR), Emerson Etem (ANA), and Ty Gretzky (Wayne's son). I'd be surprised if he doesn't brag about that a little bit lol
I wouldn't be surprised if he does the Okanagan Academy, the parents must have a lot of money if they were able to send Tom to Shattuck. I still think it's strange that Tom has ended up as a bust, he's 22 and hasn't even made the EIHL yet.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if he does the Okanagan Academy, the parents must have a lot of money if they were able to send Tom to Shattuck. I still think it's strange that Tom has ended up as a bust, he's 22 and hasn't even made the EIHL yet.
When did he go from being the most talked about Brit prospect to just another Brit player in the EPIHL? I remember when he and Ty Gretzky went to Shattuck I was following them thinking they'd both end up being quality players. Gretzky quit hockey while there because of the pressures that go with being a Gretzky and Duggan was near invisible. I wonder if he was so used to being the star player that when he was faced with true competition he got overwhelmed.

Old
06-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
When did he go from being the most talked about Brit prospect to just another Brit player in the EPIHL? I remember when he and Ty Gretzky went to Shattuck I was following them thinking they'd both end up being quality players. Gretzky quit hockey while there because of the pressures that go with being a Gretzky and Duggan was near invisible. I wonder if he was so used to being the star player that when he was faced with true competition he got overwhelmed.
I think a lot of the hype wasn't warranted. It was just the fact he was playing at Shattuck and Crosby went there. He wasn't even the best player in his age class at the time, Stephen Lee was playing full time EIHL. Lee, Farmer and Bowns could have easily played at the level Duggan was playing if not better, they just weren't as hyped because they were not there. If that makes any sense at all.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:00 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I think a lot of the hype wasn't warranted. It was just the fact he was playing at Shattuck and Crosby went there. He wasn't even the best player in his age class at the time, Stephen Lee was playing full time EIHL. Lee, Farmer and Bowns could have easily played at the level Duggan was playing if not better, they just weren't as hyped because they were not there. If that makes any sense at all.
Ye I liked Stephen Lee a ton when he was still a prospect. I wish he was picked up in the CHL Import draft... The 'what could've been' factor drives me nuts

Old
06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
villevalo

Quote:
When did he go from being the most talked about Brit prospect to just another Brit player in the EPIHL?
He just plateaued really, he's become a decent 2nd line guy for Manchester, he does deserve a shot at Elite but I don't think he'll do that well there.

Old
06-08-2012, 06:36 AM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in talks with the NHL about hosting games in the future

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/...1466-31137262/

Again all the idiots on THF can do is be negative and say what a stupid idea it is those people just cannot give anyone credit, good on Ragan for taking initiative.

Old
06-08-2012, 07:40 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in talks with the NHL about hosting games in the future

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/...1466-31137262/

Again all the idiots on THF can do is be negative and say what a stupid idea it is those people just cannot give anyone credit, good on Ragan for taking initiative.
I read that quickly on my phone to save data but did they say a mid season game? Preseason games have been in europe before, including GB, but a game in the middle of the season is a bit hopeful. I can't see the NHL going for that. The event in London seemed successful, if they try something like that again with maybe 2 of the opening regular season games there it'd be more realistic. The teams that go over will most likely be teams with poor attendance at their own rinks like Phoenix, New Jersey, New York Islanders etc. You don't want to take away home games from sell out rinks like Winnipeg, Toronto, New York Rangers, etc.

Anyway I hope they do get some sort of NHL hockey there. It can only help the awareness and grow the sport. Could you post some examples of the negative comments cuz I'm confused how anyone can think of this as negative for the sport hahaha

Old
06-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:
I read that quickly on my phone to save data but did they say a mid season game? Preseason games have been in europe before, including GB, but a game in the middle of the season is a bit hopeful. I can't see the NHL going for that. The event in London seemed successful, if they try something like that again with maybe 2 of the opening regular season games there it'd be more realistic. The teams that go over will most likely be teams with poor attendance at their own rinks like Phoenix, New Jersey, New York Islanders etc. You don't want to take away home games from sell out rinks like Winnipeg, Toronto, New York Rangers, etc.

Anyway I hope they do get some sort of NHL hockey there. It can only help the awareness and grow the sport. Could you post some examples of the negative comments cuz I'm confused how anyone can think of this as negative for the sport hahaha
I would assume they don't want it to clash with the Rugby autumn (fall) internationals which happen around that time.

A couple of examples of negativity:

Quote:
Sport still insisting on building from the top instead of from the bottom.

See thread 'import problems or not?'
Quote:
I started to believe it, then half way down I read that Ragan was behind it so I stopped reading.
None of them have constructive arguments they are just crying about how it will never work, and making incorrect statements about how the game at the O2 did not sell out.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
villevalo

Normally I'd agree with how people on THF are just moaning chumps but in this case I'd agree with them on some points.

1. Did the O2 games sell out, I seem to remember many people saying that they were not, and apparently neither have many of the other European games.
2. If it is the case that 17-20K ice rinks haven't been selling out how will a 70k stadium sell out?
3. When Boston came over it worked out well as it came before their Euro pre-season stuff and the big link between Ireland, Belfast and Boston helped it no doubt. What is the link between Cardiff and the NHL, how can they spin it to help secure the contract?
4. I can only imagine that Cardiff was chosen because Wembley either wasnt available or isnt suitable, but is it place that can draw enough people to come there?
5. The roof helps somewhat, but you'd have to try and play the game as far into winter as you can, the weather is simply too mild to try otherwise earlier on in the season.
6. Will NHL teams want to travel all the way to Cardiff for one game, perhaps a couple promotive/corporate/ceremonial events then go all the way back? It could have worked this season if indeed there is to be a lockout for the first few weeks/months of the season.

If it happened I'd gladly buy a ticket and travel over, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to secure something, but IMO it wont happen.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:35 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Normally I'd agree with how people on THF are just moaning chumps but in this case I'd agree with them on some points.

1. Did the O2 games sell out, I seem to remember many people saying that they were not, and apparently neither have many of the other European games.
Quote:
This is the launch of the season, the real thing, the reigning champions, the Anaheim Ducks, pitted against the Los Angeles Kings. All the tickets are gone, have been for months, nearly 35,000 hardcore puckheads piling into the former white elephant that was the Millennium Dome to see an event that as little as two years ago would have existed only in the realms of 4am fantasy.
The tickets were definitely all sold for that game, I know that for sure. Did everyone who bought tickets show up? Doubtful, but the game was still a sell out.

Quote:
2. If it is the case that 17-20K ice rinks haven't been selling out how will a 70k stadium sell out?
See 1.

Quote:
3. When Boston came over it worked out well as it came before their Euro pre-season stuff and the big link between Ireland, Belfast and Boston helped it no doubt. What is the link between Cardiff and the NHL, how can they spin it to help secure the contract?
Are you kidding? The link between Boston and Ireland? I highly doubt people went to watch the defending cup champs play against Belfast simply because of the historical link between Boston and Ireland...

Quote:
4. I can only imagine that Cardiff was chosen because Wembley either wasnt available or isnt suitable, but is it place that can draw enough people to come there?
I imagine Cardiff was chosen because of this quote from the original article:
Quote:
Paul Ragan, owner of the Cardiff Devils ice hockey team and brainchild behind the lucrative vision for the city, said the proposals had the potential of having a greater economic impact than Wales’ hosting of the Ryder Cup in 2010.
Quote:
5. The roof helps somewhat, but you'd have to try and play the game as far into winter as you can, the weather is simply too mild to try otherwise earlier on in the season.
In 2006, the NHL had an exhibition game in Puerto Rico. The NHL also hosted an outdoor game in Las Vegas, Nevada. I don't think weather is even close to being a valid complaint

Quote:
6. Will NHL teams want to travel all the way to Cardiff for one game, perhaps a couple promotive/corporate/ceremonial events then go all the way back? It could have worked this season if indeed there is to be a lockout for the first few weeks/months of the season.
I think I'm misunderstanding this so I'm going to answer and I'll be expecting to see you reply saying I misunderstood.

Will NHL teams want to travel there for one game? I don't see them wanting to do it mid season, unless it's followed by a week or two off. 2013-14 season will have an Olympic break which teams probably wouldn't mind going to the UK for a game. Even the people in the competing in the Olympics would be closer to where the Olympics are being held so it wouldn't mess them up too much.

I doubt that detail is a deal breaker for the Cardiff group. If the NHL wants to do preseason & 2 regular season games there, they'll probably be more than happy with that. With that said, there has been talks of the NHL playing regular season games in Europe in the middle of the season. They're obviously willing to listen if they're going to talk in person about the possibilities. I could give a **** if the details in that article don't happen exactly, if there's even a chance of the NHL going there, people should be excited and obviously from the info in the article, there's a chance.

Old
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

Quote:

If it happened I'd gladly buy a ticket and travel over, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to secure something, but IMO it wont happen.
The difference between you and THF is you have actually put together a constructive argument.

With THF instead of moaning about how it won't work, they could come up with ideas of how to make it work. But then I guess they would actually require some degree of intelligence...

Edit: I also forgot to mention Ben O'Connor's team is definitely in the VHL next year.

Last edited by Dustin Peener: 06-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
villevalo

Quote:
The tickets were definitely all sold for that game, I know that for sure. Did everyone who bought tickets show up? Doubtful, but the game was still a sell out.

See 1.

Are you kidding? The link between Boston and Ireland? I highly doubt people went to watch the defending cup champs play against Belfast simply because of the historical link between Boston and Ireland...

I imagine Cardiff was chosen because of this quote from the original article:

In 2006, the NHL had an exhibition game in Puerto Rico. The NHL also hosted an outdoor game in Las Vegas, Nevada. I don't think weather is even close to being a valid complaint

I think I'm misunderstanding this so I'm going to answer and I'll be expecting to see you reply saying I misunderstood.

Will NHL teams want to travel there for one game? I don't see them wanting to do it mid season, unless it's followed by a week or two off. 2013-14 season will have an Olympic break which teams probably wouldn't mind going to the UK for a game. Even the people in the competing in the Olympics would be closer to where the Olympics are being held so it wouldn't mess them up too much.

I doubt that detail is a deal breaker for the Cardiff group. If the NHL wants to do preseason & 2 regular season games there, they'll probably be more than happy with that. With that said, there has been talks of the NHL playing regular season games in Europe in the middle of the season. They're obviously willing to listen if they're going to talk in person about the possibilities. I could give a **** if the details in that article don't happen exactly, if there's even a chance of the NHL going there, people should be excited and obviously from the info in the article, there's a chance.

Well if they all did sell out then fair enough, although I will say to sell out 70k tickets in a place which really isnt a hockey hot bed then they will need to price them less then the rugby games and those gaps in the stand will notice far more in the Millennium then they would do in a rink.

I wasn't suggesting that people showed up because of the historical link, I was stating that the link was a good way of trying to get Boston to agree to it, come play in one of the best arena rinks in GB, against a decent 'Belfast' side and there is also some historical links between the two places. Again its a good way of spinning it. AFAIK there is no real link with anything to either any American or Canadian city and the only bare link is that Cardiff have a team.... Edit: I'm not stating that a link is the be all, but I think it helps, e.g. take Wembley, its a place where the playoff finals weekend has taken place for many years, where many historical london hockey teams have played, sure many other things have to be taken into account but a good link either hockey wise or historical wise just helps that little bit more in the NHL guys saying yes we'll do it.

For those games in Puerto Rico and Las Vegas they were both outside and in winter?

I meant what I said. Will a professional NHL want to fly all the wat to Cardiff for one game then fly all the way back in what is already a packed season? Like you say if it is in some sort of break or the teams that go get some sort of fixtures allowance so they get a few days off afterwards, then it probably wont be a problem.

Your right, there is a chance, but there's quite a lot of things that need to be worked out and sorted before it happens. For me the main problem comes with the basic question of will the game sell tickets? Will it sell 70k tickets? I, personally, dont think so.

Old
06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Robotic

What does anyone know about Ben O'Connor?

He will be playing in Russia's 2nd highest league - VHL, as his team is making the jump from Kazakhstan.

Maybe he could have a chance as a KHL player for Barys one day?

Old
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
For those games in Puerto Rico and Las Vegas they were both outside and in winter?

I know it's tough to tell because it's night time but you can see that building with the red sign, it reads "CEASARS PALACE" which is in Vegas. Kings vs. NYR. Gretzky was on L.A at the time:

Old
06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlman View Post
Maybe he could have a chance as a KHL player for Barys one day?
I'm waiting for him to play at least a season in the VHL before I think about the possibility of him playing in the KHL. There is just as much a chance he plays poorly in the VHL and goes back to a worse league so we have to wait and see.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Robotic

Quote:
I'm waiting for him to play at least a season in the VHL before I think about the possibility of him playing in the KHL. There is just as much a chance he plays poorly in the VHL and goes back to a worse league so we have to wait and see.
True, it's a long shot but would be cool to see. 99.9% he would have to play for a non-Russian team with no foreigner limit.

I just realized he was even in KAZ. Followed link from a Denis Franskevich transfer and found him.

Closed Thread