Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Not really. You can kind of follow the trend of the typical rise or fall of junior sign ups from the years leading up to '07. Then if '07 there is a significant change from the norm in the sign-ups, seems pretty obvious what caused the change.

Honestly, you can say that all you want but you'd have to ask each person in attendance, "Are you a hockey fan?"

I should probably know this since I've read quite a bit about and have asked about OHA in GB but is it going to be a real school That might sound stupid but is it just a hockey program and they go to regular school or is it a legit prep school where they play hockey, practice, live, and take classes all together.
But the trend could be going upwards anyway, irrespective of the NHL games in London. This discussion is pointless anyway, knowing the EIHA the figures probably do not even exist. We will never know.

It's just a hockey program and they go to a local school, my old school in fact. And they will be boarding with families who live close to the school/rink. I am starting to have doubts about the program though, I was talking to someone about it last week and they think it is just the Swindon GM trying to make some money, it appears all the coaches will just be Swindon EPL players.

Edit: It says on the website now they will only be having a U16 team, it also says " Players eligible by age and ability will be able to play for the Swindon Wildcats in the ENL div 2 and English Premier League." Oh and I can't help but laugh at the "Life in a safe, beautiful area in the south of England." part

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 06-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
But the trend could be going upwards anyway, irrespective of the NHL games in London. This discussion is pointless anyway, knowing the EIHA the figures probably do not even exist. We will never know.

It's just a hockey program and they go to a local school, my old school in fact. And they will be boarding with families who live close to the school/rink. I am starting to have doubts about the program though, I was talking to someone about it last week and they think it is just the Swindon GM trying to make some money, it appears all the coaches will just be Swindon EPL players.

Edit: It says on the website now they will only be having a U16 team, it also says " Players eligible by age and ability will be able to play for the Swindon Wildcats in the ENL div 2 and English Premier League." Oh and I can't help but laugh at the "Life in a safe, beautiful area in the south of England." part
You can analyze numbers with simple common sense. Didn't you say you're a business student or about to be one? You'll see it if you take a statistics class soon

A prep school type team in GB isn't something you can pull off perfectly in one year. Hopefully the North American branch sticks with them long enough to establish something there. I know I read there are some guys from NA meant to be going over there to coach the teams. I thought it was just supposed to be "guest" coaches coming in to help out every once in a while.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
So, whose NHL draft eligible for 2013, if there's anyone?

Old
06-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
So, whose NHL draft eligible for 2013, if there's anyone?
David Clements but I still have no clue if he has any interest from a CHL team. If he was born 5 days earlier he would've been 2012 eligible. Scott Conway is eligible but still not realistic to be picked unless he has an amazing season & a great showing at the U18's with GB (If he reports this go around).

There's a 2014 Brit lock in Brendan Perlini. Seems doubtful that he'd rep GB but it's still an option. Hopefully Hockey Canada ignores him

Old
06-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I'm guessing that those eligible for next year would need to be selected in the Import draft to have a real good chance of being noticed?

Old
06-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

It's extremely unlikely but if Bobby Chamberlain has a good year in the EIHL next season he might get some attention, he's by far our best U18 player next year who still plays back home. I have high hopes for Lewis Hook who will be 2014 eligible, but he needs to prove himself at the senior level before I can make bold statements like that.

What you have to realise Shrimper is that if a Brit were to be drafted they have to be a generational talent by our standards. As we all know only Hand and Shields are the real Brits who have done it. The only realistic chance our guys have is to be noticed by the import draft then be taken as an overager, but even that is pushing it.

Even if Brendan does represent Canada I would still consider him British trained.

Edit: Also just noticed Nottingham have signed former Rangers 2nd round pick Bruce Graham, a typical pre-Gordie Clarke bust pick

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 06-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
It's extremely unlikely but if Bobby Chamberlain has a good year in the EIHL next season he might get some attention, he's by far our best U18 player next year who still plays back home. I have high hopes for Lewis Hook who will be 2014 eligible, but he needs to prove himself at the senior level before I can make bold statements like that.

What you have to realise Shrimper is that if a Brit were to be drafted they have to be a generational talent by our standards. As we all know only Hand and Shields are the real Brits who have done it. The only realistic chance our guys have is to be noticed by the import draft then be taken as an overager, but even that is pushing it.

Even if Brendan does represent Canada I would still consider him British trained.

Edit: Also just noticed Nottingham have signed former Rangers 2nd round pick Bruce Graham, a typical pre-Gordie Clarke bust pick
I'll always consider Brendan Perlini a brit. I changed his birthplace on EP because they had Sault St. Marie, ON, CAN

Best way for a Brit to make a name for himself in the North American scouting community is to impress scouts at the U18's (Even Div I U18's) and if they're at the U20's as a youngen (16-18) they could also grab attention of scouts. I was going to say Lewis Hook as a possible 2014 candidate but it's such a tough call. He'll only be 16 next season... He could have a big year + big U18, catch the eye of a scout, agree to play for a CHL team, have a good year in the CHL & get drafted to the NHL but if it was easy for Brits to pull that off, we'd have a lot more NHL draft picks to refer to from GB

Old
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Alpine

Quote:

Another reason for me to follow EIHL next season.
A hometown boy who played Major Jr with the hometown Cats.

Old
06-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Quote:
I'll always consider Brendan Perlini a brit. I changed his birthplace on EP because they had Sault St. Marie, ON, CAN

Best way for a Brit to make a name for himself in the North American scouting community is to impress scouts at the U18's (Even Div I U18's) and if they're at the U20's as a youngen (16-18) they could also grab attention of scouts. I was going to say Lewis Hook as a possible 2014 candidate but it's such a tough call. He'll only be 16 next season... He could have a big year + big U18, catch the eye of a scout, agree to play for a CHL team, have a good year in the CHL & get drafted to the NHL but if it was easy for Brits to pull that off, we'd have a lot more NHL draft picks to refer to from GB
Lewis Hook is the best player we've had since Farmer, he could possibly be better but Farmer was big and can fight, which was what gave him a real shot at making it in NA. Hook lead the U18 league in scoring as a U16, that's never been done before in my memory. He's signed to play for Peterborough in the EPL next season and they're one of the weaker teams so he should get a decent amount of ice time. Farmer scored 15 points in 39 games as a 16/17 year old in his first EPL season so if Hook can do that he's on the right track, he isn't a big kid but I expect he'll be putting on a lot of muscle this off season ready to play against men.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 AM
clatchie

vCash: 450
I'm going to miss Farmer next season. In other news, Fulghum has left the Steelers and is back in Denver with a new CHL team called the Cutthroats.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Watching the CHL Import draft page reload. Nearing pick #40 and I'm dying to see a plain English name rather then these crazy European names like:
Nejezchleb, Richard
Repe, Jurij
Chakhotkin, Evgeny

Old
06-27-2012, 11:48 AM
PuddlesTheDuck

Quote:
Both sets of fans are just as bad as each other.

And Puddles you obviously don't read THF, EIHL fans are always sticking their noses into EPL threads that do not concern them. and vice versa.
I don't bother with THF, there are enough idiots on Steeltalk and the Cage to fufill that quota for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
You should give the Steeldogs a try, Pie-ate gets a lot of stick but he's put together a good tough and entertaining side. EPL had it's most competitive season last year, I'd certainly say give it another go.

After living in Russia and paying 3/4 to watch a KHL I find it hard enough to pay 13/15 a game over here, paying money to watch the EPL now I just couldn't do.

The highlight of any of those games I've seen in the past was Ben Bowns though, you could tell how good he could be even at his age.

Nottingham are building a really strong roster as usual, I wonder what the Giants have up their sleeves'.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:05 AM
AlanHUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesTheDuck View Post

Nottingham are building a really strong roster as usual, I wonder what the Giants have up their sleeves'.
We'll screw it up somehow, we always manage to.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
clatchie

vCash: 450
Hope Weaver's knees hold out until the end of the season for you. It was bad enough when he was at the Skydome, but you're a little deeper over there.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

So Danton may not be able to get into the country after all that

Old
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
So Danton may not be able to get into the country after all that
He's not allowed in the USA to play lol
I wish he was good enough for the NHL, simply so he could be nicknamed "Hitman".

Old
06-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

McMorrow was "the sheriff" over here

There may still be hope, someone on THF quoted the law on visas

Quote:
Paragraph 320(18) of the Rules states that an application should normally be refused if that
person has been convicted of an offence in any country, which would be punishable with
imprisonment for a term of 12 months or more if the offence had occurred in the UK
Then someone went on to comment: "He'll be ok. I'm sure conspiracy to murder is about 6 months on tag and a 200 fine here."

It's sad, but true

Old
06-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
McMorrow was "the sheriff" over here

There may still be hope, someone on THF quoted the law on visas

Then someone went on to comment: "He'll be ok. I'm sure conspiracy to murder is about 6 months on tag and a 200 fine here."

It's sad, but true
A lot of people love to chirp Mike Danton but he seems 100% rehabilitated. I know a lot of people think that's never possible but from all accounts, before he went to jail he wouldn't be the type of guy you'd see on twitter. He was just a weirdo lol. Now he actually has a personality and he's a fully functioning human now.

Old
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Wow former Braehead defenseman Jon Landry has signed a contract with the Islanders, where are all the EIHL imports "washed up scrub" comments now?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Wow former Braehead defenseman Jon Landry has signed a contract with the Islanders, where are all the EIHL imports "washed up scrub" comments now?
To be fair he did play with the Islanders top farm team Bridgeport Sound Tigers last season.

Stupid question of a all stupid questions though.
I see Italy has changed import rules to 6 non-EU passport holders in Serie A and 2 non-EU passport holders in Serie A2.
Is this change to conform to EU right of movement to work laws or to increase non Italian players?
Just wondering because of the emphasis on EU passport holders.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
To be fair he did play with the Islanders top farm team Bridgeport Sound Tigers last season.

Stupid question of a all stupid questions though.
I see Italy has changed import rules to 6 non-EU passport holders in Serie A and 2 non-EU passport holders in Serie A2.
Is this change to conform to EU right of movement to work laws or to increase non Italian players?
Just wondering because of the emphasis on EU passport holders.
Yeah but the fact he was able to go back to North America and impress in the AHL proves that EIHL imports are not all washed up guys looking for an easy ride in hockey.

I believe it is to conform to EU employment laws, they have the same import rules in France. The UK opted out of the Maastricht Treaty so we do not have to abide by this law, the same reason the UK is one of the only EU countries you need to show your passport to get in to.

Edit: Also IIHF have released a world junior ranking, GB are 20th. http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=1a0a78a1ba

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 07-02-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Yeah but the fact he was able to go back to North America and impress in the AHL proves that EIHL imports are not all washed up guys looking for an easy ride in hockey.

I believe it is to conform to EU employment laws, they have the same import rules in France. The UK opted out of the Maastricht Treaty so we do not have to abide by this law, the same reason the UK is one of the only EU countries you need to show your passport to get in to.

Edit: Also IIHF have released a world junior ranking, GB are 20th. http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=1a0a78a1ba
If anyone called Jon Landry washed up they were very mistaken. To be washed up you have to be good at some point
He played Div 3 NCAA, then played multiple years in the Central, went to europe, came back and had a relatively surprising run of games where he put up point from the point. We see flashes of decent hockey all the time so if he comes back next year and ends up in the ECHL again, he's still your typical EIHL import is he not? Not trying to be mean here just sayin'

Edit:

Quote:
These types of rankings crack me up when I see Canada at 4 up from 5 when I know that every year there is ~100 Canadians picked at the NHL draft.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Quote:
If anyone called Jon Landry washed up they were very mistaken. To be washed up you have to be good at some point
He played Div 3 NCAA, then played multiple years in the Central, went to europe, came back and had a relatively surprising run of games where he put up point from the point. We see flashes of decent hockey all the time so if he comes back next year and ends up in the ECHL again, he's still your typical EIHL import is he not? Not trying to be mean here just sayin'
Maybe not washed up then, but people do say all the EIHL imports just come here because they have no hope of progressing to a better league and are just here for a free ride and a rather unprofessional environment. This proves them wrong. The Islanders obviously thought Landry was good enough to offer him a contract, but then again Garth Snow and CO. aren't exactly known for their organisational prowess.

Quote:
These types of rankings crack me up when I see Canada at 4 up from 5 when I know that every year there is ~100 Canadians picked at the NHL draft.
Insert typical American/European HF poster "******** Canadian" comment here

But really it's because they've included the U18's, and obviously Canada doesn't send the best team because of CHL playoffs.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 07-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old
07-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Maybe not washed up then, but people do say all the EIHL imports just come here because they have no hope of progressing to a better league and are just here for a free ride and a rather unprofessional environment. This proves them wrong. The Islanders obviously thought Landry was good enough to offer him a contract, but then again Garth Snow and CO. aren't exactly known for their organisational prowess.

Insert typical American/European HF poster "******** Canadian" comment here

But really it's because they've included the U18's, and obviously Canada doesn't send the best team because of CHL playoffs.
1 Jon Landry (who is simply going to be playing for Bridgeport with 0% chance of coming up based on their depth chart) doesn't change the fact that nobody is going to the EIHL to get closer to the NHL. Majority of the imports are guys who were spinning their tires in the mud in the ECHL with some AHL spot duty and wanted to do something else. Why spend year after year in some ****** ECHL city when you can travel to Europe and play pro hockey, making similar money, but getting a better life experience. That's why most imports go over to the EIHL imo, it's definitely not because they want to catch an NHL teams eye. With that said, if Landry didn't go, he wouldn't have got an ECHL gig which led to an AHL stint and now an AHL job for next season.

And ye the timing for the U18's is insanely stupid. Canada only sends the U18's who are on bad CHL teams lol They'll probably drop again when they don't medal or maybe get bronze at the U20's this year with a weak or young team.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

Quote:
1 Jon Landry (who is simply going to be playing for Bridgeport with 0% chance of coming up based on their depth chart) doesn't change the fact that nobody is going to the EIHL to get closer to the NHL. Majority of the imports are guys who were spinning their tires in the mud in the ECHL with some AHL spot duty and wanted to do something else. Why spend year after year in some ****** ECHL city when you can travel to Europe and play pro hockey, making similar money, but getting a better life experience. That's why most imports go over to the EIHL imo, it's definitely not because they want to catch an NHL teams eye. With that said, if Landry didn't go, he wouldn't have got an ECHL gig which led to an AHL stint and now an AHL job for next season.
Obviously not saying that, just saying that contrary to popular belief the EIHL is not full of Jade Galbraith's who just want to drink and party without negative repercussions on their hockey career. Landry obviously worked hard over here to better himself and was able to go back to North America and make the AHL on a proper contract.

Closed Thread