HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers fans- have you fully converted over to being a Predators fan??‎

Old
04-21-2012, 12:27 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I don't know of all the hockey that is directly in the Atlanta area, but I am wondering why a commemorative team hasn't fired up yet in some junior league. Some junior hockey is as hot as NHL hockey (a bit of a stretch) in some areas, but the same can't be said for minor league teams. Is it possible that a team named the Atlanta Thrashers/baby Thrashers joins the NAHL or USHL? Junior hockey is a great way to plant hockey roots into a community since you get local talent into the line up. Heck, maybe the team can even play out of Phillips arena. It could be a team with a cult like following, with most of its supporters being former thrashers fans. The fans can fill the arena and show the NHL whats what.
I am aware that minor league hockey is in the area, but that just isn't the same as having junior hockey.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
Now Imagine all those Braves players played those years for a new franchise in Nashville. Since day one you drove an hour to see them in person 2 or 3 times a week, went to their practices and all the team meet and greets, you grew up with them (or your kids did) you know their entire history front and back because you actually lived it. Then suddenly they move 26 hours away - new city and new name. Next closest team is Atlanta - 4 hour drive, brand new team, players, history, established fan base etc,etc...
We certainly know what it feels like, sort of. Our team was almost pulled from us to go to Hanilton, Ontario. While we understand it will take time for the wounds to heal, just know that te Preds are here to be your team if you choose. Time heals all and so does winnig. I'd imagine the Preds hoisting the cup at the end of the year might make thrashers fans forget about the thrashers all together r

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:44 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
I'd imagine the Preds hoisting the cup at the end of the year might make thrashers fans forget about the thrashers all together r
That will help! Like I said in post #6 I'll be there "as often as the kids schedules allow till Weber lifts the Cup" I like the sound of that!

tonyin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
tonyin318

by the way I've been listening to 102.5 in the am and one my drives to Nashville to get some Preds talk.

Is there a better choice? The Revolution is ok, but the Morning shows lacks a little bite.

Old
04-21-2012, 04:44 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
by the way I've been listening to 102.5 in the am and one my drives to Nashville to get some Preds talk.

Is there a better choice? The Revolution is ok, but the Morning shows lacks a little bite.

That's it basically. I listen to the revolution but the only other sports station is 104.5 the zone. The morning show definitely knows their hockey. Mark Howard is on that show and of course does tv for the Preds games. Frank Wycheck also seems to know his hockey. The afternoon shows for 104.5 the zone are abysmal for Preds coverage. The midday 180 I really can't stand. Really because I can't stand Chad Withrow. The 3HL is on the same time as the revolution but toucan tell they just don't know hockey nor do they care. Blaine is the lone exception as he cares but man you can tell he is lost when it comes to talking about. The 3HL is a really funny show though. Probably Nashvilles version of the 2 live stus

Old
04-21-2012, 06:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
That's it basically. I listen to the revolution but the only other sports station is 104.5 the zone. The morning show definitely knows their hockey. Mark Howard is on that show and of course does tv for the Preds games. Frank Wycheck also seems to know his hockey. The afternoon shows for 104.5 the zone are abysmal for Preds coverage. The midday 180 I really can't stand. Really because I can't stand Chad Withrow. The 3HL is on the same time as the revolution but toucan tell they just don't know hockey nor do they care. Blaine is the lone exception as he cares but man you can tell he is lost when it comes to talking about. The 3HL is a really funny show though. Probably Nashvilles version of the 2 live stus
It's quantity vs quality. 104.5 gives more coverage to high school football than hockey, but they do have a few guys that know it--whereas brad and Darren dedicate a fair bit of time to hockey on 102.5, but arent all that knowledgeable.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:30 PM
SilverRiver89

Haven't really dedicated myself to any team (just seems weird right now), but the Preds are one of the ones I keep an eye on. Helps that they showed games on TV here.

SilverRiver89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
--whereas brad and Darren dedicate a fair bit of time to hockey on 102.5, but arent all that knowledgeable.
Yep I find them a little soft and cliche on hockey.....

I'll check out 104.5 monday morning

Thanks guys

Old
04-21-2012, 07:43 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
It's quantity vs quality. 104.5 gives more coverage to high school football than hockey, but they do have a few guys that know it--whereas brad and Darren dedicate a fair bit of time to hockey on 102.5, but arent all that knowledgeable.
You gotta realize that Brad is a former football player. He seems like he is similar to Blaine in that he cares but just doesnt know enough about it. Willy Daunic is great for Preds coverage and they have Terry and Pete on their show all the time. Plus Willy is a big Vandy fan so thats a plus

Old
04-21-2012, 10:04 PM
GreenHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I don't know of all the hockey that is directly in the Atlanta area, but I am wondering why a commemorative team hasn't fired up yet in some junior league. Some junior hockey is as hot as NHL hockey (a bit of a stretch) in some areas, but the same can't be said for minor league teams. Is it possible that a team named the Atlanta Thrashers/baby Thrashers joins the NAHL or USHL? Junior hockey is a great way to plant hockey roots into a community since you get local talent into the line up. Heck, maybe the team can even play out of Phillips arena. It could be a team with a cult like following, with most of its supporters being former thrashers fans. The fans can fill the arena and show the NHL whats what.
I am aware that minor league hockey is in the area, but that just isn't the same as having junior hockey.
Does Tier III junior hockey count?

http://atlantajuniorknights.com/view...ajuniorknights

GreenHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:18 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I have always wondered how you became a Preds fan in Idaho, now Tawain.

Quote:
For real? Then how did you become a Preds fan?
Long story short: Got into hockey around 97 or so, great friend of mine from Detroit bought me a Konstantinov jersey for my birthday. Became a Wings fan from that point however didn't really feel a connection to the team despite liking them. That and didn't really like being a fan of a huge team like that, in every other sport all my teams are underdogs (Mariners, Chiefs, Sonics () ) so when Nashville got the team I said to my self "I like Poile, I like the team name, I'll follow them from day one."

From that point on for several years I guess I was a Predwing, but fully switched over the year the Preds first made the playoffs and I've never looked back.

Bought a Vokoun jersey (pics are still on here from years ago in some thread...) and even after moving to Taiwan still used HFboards to stay in contact with ya'll and keep some contact with my homeland vicariously.

And well, considering how many cocky Canadians I've met here in Taiwan who are of the type that think there are no fans in Nashville and that they don't deserve a team, I don't put up with that crap and do my best to set 'em straight, and at the end if they still want to think that I just walk away.

Still holding out some day, some how, I'll not only be able to visit Tennessee but see a Predators game to boot. Icing on the cake would be to meet some of ya'll in person.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

I honestly don't think I could ever live in Taiwan. I'm too tall lol. I could live in Europe if the opportunity was ever afforded to me