I died laughing at this

http://boston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_...cid=CBS.BOSTON

Especially the John Dennis twinkie

Old
10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Metaparel gone from WEEI....taking a radio play by play guy but not moving based on conversation? not Bruins....not Celtics...not Patriots....gotta be Red Sox- either Castigleone is being put out to pasture (doubt) or the fantastic Dave O'Brien is leaving to take on a bigger role nationally which is my guess

Old
10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Metaparel gone from WEEI....taking a radio play by play guy but not moving based on conversation? not Bruins....not Celtics...not Patriots....gotta be Red Sox- either Castigleone is being put out to pasture (doubt) or the fantastic Dave O'Brien is leaving to take on a bigger role nationally which is my guess
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't taking the Sox gig mean he's still at WEEI?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't taking the Sox gig mean he's still at WEEI?
I believe so, and I thought that in addition to the BC football games, he had already done a Sox game here and there?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I believe so, and I thought that in addition to the BC football games, he had already done a Sox game here and there?
According to Callahan he is leaving to pursue a play by play and did not specify what or where.

https://twitter.com/HeyCallahan/stat...51985397743617

Old
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If meterparel does the Sox I will never turn a radio on again.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
One down two to go.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
One down two to go.
Exactly. I was never really a JMP fan. He came off so condescending to me at times, that I couldn't warm up to him.

Old
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
It must have something to do with the Celtics. Meter always seemed like a basketball guy.

Or maybe the Fenway PA announcer

Old
10-12-2012, 10:59 AM
BlueAndGold

Will Rogers was famous for the line, "I never man I didn't like." He never met Jon Meterparel. Hopefully his next gig will be outside the Boston area.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
It must have something to do with the Celtics. Meter always seemed like a basketball guy.

Or maybe the Fenway PA announcer
Even if he took over the Celt's gig, that would still leave him at WEEI...

Old
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
beaverjc

Seriously why in the world would anyone leave a sports talk gig? They are so spoiled its insane. They make great money, sit around talking sports for 4 hours a day and then go home. Please. Thats a dream job for 99% of adult males. Its not like you have to have skill or personality either. You land a gig like that you hit the goldmine.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Seriously why in the world would anyone leave a sports talk gig? They are so spoiled its insane. They make great money, sit around talking sports for 4 hours a day and then go home. Please. Thats a dream job for 99% of adult males. Its not like you have to have skill or personality either. You land a gig like that you hit the goldmine.

A: I don't think a glorified flash boy makes that much money. 2: Maybe his dream job is play by play, not talk radio. And D: A Ratings slip will ship you out the door anytime.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
A: I don't think a glorified flash boy makes that much money. 2: Maybe his dream job is play by play, not talk radio. And D: A Ratings slip will ship you out the door anytime.

I am sure he makes at least six figures a year - not shabby for 4 hours of work per day sitting around talking sports.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I am sure he makes at least six figures a year - not shabby for 4 hours of work per day sitting around talking sports.
I highly doubt he makes close to 6 figures for doing the flash, and they usually put in way more than 4 hours per day. He does the flashes, so he writes his own copy for each story. He has to plan out all that stuff and make sure it's related to the topics at hand, and I'm sure he's in the planning meetings for the D&C show too. When you factor in the time he spends prepping for his announcing gigs for the Eagles and the Revs, I'd bet he puts in way more hours than most people do at their jobs.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
I highly doubt he makes close to 6 figures for doing the flash, and they usually put in way more than 4 hours per day. He does the flashes, so he writes his own copy for each story. He has to plan out all that stuff and make sure it's related to the topics at hand, and I'm sure he's in the planning meetings for the D&C show too. When you factor in the time he spends prepping for his announcing gigs for the Eagles and the Revs, I'd bet he puts in way more hours than most people do at their jobs.
Agreed. To think these guys just roll out bed and talk for 4 hours and then hit the golf course is incorrect.

They do all the prep you mention plus other gigs on TV not to mention radio commercials.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Alicat
Charge!

John Wallach is a much better flash guy.

I am Boston Strong

Old
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
beaverjc

Once again, "preparation" is watching the games and reviewing stats - which a lot of guys do anyways. They need to read the newspaper and chat on the radio. I bet a large perecentage of people on this board are more knowledgable regarding sports as well. Ordway was making $1,000,000 a year so I am sure any on air personality is doing quite well.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
60 seconds about 3 or 4 times an hour. you could do that in your sleep, especially morning flashes. It's mostly scores from the previous night. Somebody like Beetle on F&M or the mid afternoon guy for EEI have it the hardest - can't do any previous night scores (old news), can't really do much of a preview of upcoming night's games because they're still hours away. Now that's slim pickins.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Once again, "preparation" is watching the games and reviewing stats - which a lot of guys do anyways. They need to read the newspaper and chat on the radio. I bet a large perecentage of people on this board are more knowledgable regarding sports as well. Ordway was making $1,000,000 a year so I am sure any on air personality is doing quite well.
It's well known that aside from a handful of people, most radio personalities/dj's get paid very poorly. You can believe what you want, but it's not accurate to say that everyone on the air is making money hand over fist.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
60 seconds about 3 or 4 times an hour. you could do that in your sleep, especially morning flashes. It's mostly scores from the previous night. Somebody like Beetle on F&M or the mid afternoon guy for EEI have it the hardest - can't do any previous night scores (old news), can't really do much of a preview of upcoming night's games because they're still hours away. Now that's slim pickins.
I'm not saying his job isn't easy or that someone like you or me couldn't do it better. What I'm saying is that he's not making nearly as much as Beaver thinks, and he's putting in more than 4 hours a day.

Old
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
John Wallach is a much better flash guy.
Agreed. Long live the Birdman!

Closed Thread