HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2012, 12:29 PM
  #776
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
you had me until NPR.


Yep..it was indeed a slow radio day!

Roll 4 Lines is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
  #777
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 50
ryan spooner going on 98.5 at 6:20

Shaun is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
  #778
Mancini0518
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/1...n-shaughnessy/

This was great. I love Shaughnessy getting his from bloggers

Mancini0518 is offline  
Old
10-11-2012, 07:14 PM
  #779
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 50
I died laughing at this

http://boston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_...cid=CBS.BOSTON

Especially the John Dennis twinkie

Shaun is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 08:49 AM
  #780
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Metaparel gone from WEEI....taking a radio play by play guy but not moving based on conversation? not Bruins....not Celtics...not Patriots....gotta be Red Sox- either Castigleone is being put out to pasture (doubt) or the fantastic Dave O'Brien is leaving to take on a bigger role nationally which is my guess

DKH is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 09:06 AM
  #781
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Metaparel gone from WEEI....taking a radio play by play guy but not moving based on conversation? not Bruins....not Celtics...not Patriots....gotta be Red Sox- either Castigleone is being put out to pasture (doubt) or the fantastic Dave O'Brien is leaving to take on a bigger role nationally which is my guess
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't taking the Sox gig mean he's still at WEEI?

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 09:08 AM
  #782
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't taking the Sox gig mean he's still at WEEI?
I believe so, and I thought that in addition to the BC football games, he had already done a Sox game here and there?

GloryDaze4877 is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 09:14 AM
  #783
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Registered User
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't taking the Sox gig mean he's still at WEEI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I believe so, and I thought that in addition to the BC football games, he had already done a Sox game here and there?
According to Callahan he is leaving to pursue a play by play and did not specify what or where.

https://twitter.com/HeyCallahan/stat...51985397743617

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
  #784
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Metaparel gone from WEEI....taking a radio play by play guy but not moving based on conversation? not Bruins....not Celtics...not Patriots....gotta be Red Sox- either Castigleone is being put out to pasture (doubt) or the fantastic Dave O'Brien is leaving to take on a bigger role nationally which is my guess
If meterparel does the Sox I will never turn a radio on again.

Artemis is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
  #785
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 50
One down two to go.

Shaun is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
  #786
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
One down two to go.
Exactly. I was never really a JMP fan. He came off so condescending to me at times, that I couldn't warm up to him.

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
  #787
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
It must have something to do with the Celtics. Meter always seemed like a basketball guy.

Or maybe the Fenway PA announcer

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 10:59 AM
  #788
BlueAndGold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eastern Mass.
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Will Rogers was famous for the line, "I never man I didn't like." He never met Jon Meterparel. Hopefully his next gig will be outside the Boston area.

BlueAndGold is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  #789
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
It must have something to do with the Celtics. Meter always seemed like a basketball guy.

Or maybe the Fenway PA announcer
Even if he took over the Celt's gig, that would still leave him at WEEI...

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 12:15 PM
  #790
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Seriously why in the world would anyone leave a sports talk gig? They are so spoiled its insane. They make great money, sit around talking sports for 4 hours a day and then go home. Please. Thats a dream job for 99% of adult males. Its not like you have to have skill or personality either. You land a gig like that you hit the goldmine.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 12:39 PM
  #791
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Registered User
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Seriously why in the world would anyone leave a sports talk gig? They are so spoiled its insane. They make great money, sit around talking sports for 4 hours a day and then go home. Please. Thats a dream job for 99% of adult males. Its not like you have to have skill or personality either. You land a gig like that you hit the goldmine.

A: I don't think a glorified flash boy makes that much money. 2: Maybe his dream job is play by play, not talk radio. And D: A Ratings slip will ship you out the door anytime.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
  #792
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
A: I don't think a glorified flash boy makes that much money. 2: Maybe his dream job is play by play, not talk radio. And D: A Ratings slip will ship you out the door anytime.

I am sure he makes at least six figures a year - not shabby for 4 hours of work per day sitting around talking sports.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:06 PM
  #793
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
I am sure he makes at least six figures a year - not shabby for 4 hours of work per day sitting around talking sports.
I highly doubt he makes close to 6 figures for doing the flash, and they usually put in way more than 4 hours per day. He does the flashes, so he writes his own copy for each story. He has to plan out all that stuff and make sure it's related to the topics at hand, and I'm sure he's in the planning meetings for the D&C show too. When you factor in the time he spends prepping for his announcing gigs for the Eagles and the Revs, I'd bet he puts in way more hours than most people do at their jobs.

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  #794
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Registered User
 
Donnie Shulzhoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Foxboro, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I highly doubt he makes close to 6 figures for doing the flash, and they usually put in way more than 4 hours per day. He does the flashes, so he writes his own copy for each story. He has to plan out all that stuff and make sure it's related to the topics at hand, and I'm sure he's in the planning meetings for the D&C show too. When you factor in the time he spends prepping for his announcing gigs for the Eagles and the Revs, I'd bet he puts in way more hours than most people do at their jobs.
Agreed. To think these guys just roll out bed and talk for 4 hours and then hit the golf course is incorrect.

They do all the prep you mention plus other gigs on TV not to mention radio commercials.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
  #795
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,799
vCash: 500
John Wallach is a much better flash guy.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
  #796
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 500
Once again, "preparation" is watching the games and reviewing stats - which a lot of guys do anyways. They need to read the newspaper and chat on the radio. I bet a large perecentage of people on this board are more knowledgable regarding sports as well. Ordway was making $1,000,000 a year so I am sure any on air personality is doing quite well.

beaverjc is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:29 PM
  #797
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I highly doubt he makes close to 6 figures for doing the flash, and they usually put in way more than 4 hours per day. He does the flashes, so he writes his own copy for each story. He has to plan out all that stuff and make sure it's related to the topics at hand, and I'm sure he's in the planning meetings for the D&C show too. When you factor in the time he spends prepping for his announcing gigs for the Eagles and the Revs, I'd bet he puts in way more hours than most people do at their jobs.
60 seconds about 3 or 4 times an hour. you could do that in your sleep, especially morning flashes. It's mostly scores from the previous night. Somebody like Beetle on F&M or the mid afternoon guy for EEI have it the hardest - can't do any previous night scores (old news), can't really do much of a preview of upcoming night's games because they're still hours away. Now that's slim pickins.

Pie O My is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
  #798
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Once again, "preparation" is watching the games and reviewing stats - which a lot of guys do anyways. They need to read the newspaper and chat on the radio. I bet a large perecentage of people on this board are more knowledgable regarding sports as well. Ordway was making $1,000,000 a year so I am sure any on air personality is doing quite well.
It's well known that aside from a handful of people, most radio personalities/dj's get paid very poorly. You can believe what you want, but it's not accurate to say that everyone on the air is making money hand over fist.

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:52 PM
  #799
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
60 seconds about 3 or 4 times an hour. you could do that in your sleep, especially morning flashes. It's mostly scores from the previous night. Somebody like Beetle on F&M or the mid afternoon guy for EEI have it the hardest - can't do any previous night scores (old news), can't really do much of a preview of upcoming night's games because they're still hours away. Now that's slim pickins.
I'm not saying his job isn't easy or that someone like you or me couldn't do it better. What I'm saying is that he's not making nearly as much as Beaver thinks, and he's putting in more than 4 hours a day.

LSCII is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
  #800
MattFromFranklin
Registered User
 
MattFromFranklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
John Wallach is a much better flash guy.
Agreed. Long live the Birdman!

MattFromFranklin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.