Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 7

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 02:14 PM
beaverjc

vCash: 500
North Shore Golf posed ď18 QuestionsĒ to Callahan while he hit balls on the practice tee of his home club, Indian Ridge.

1. NSG: The wakeup call is frightfully early. The money is exceptional. The bumps have been few, but high profile. So how has the sports journalist enjoyed his new career as a radio personality in one of the sports-crazed towns in America?
GC: Itís been terrific, despite a few uncomfortable moments. Radio life is the complete opposite of sportswriting life. I get up now in what used to be the middle of the night for me, but my hours are set. I know when Iíll finish. Travel is minimal Ė a week at spring training, a week at the Super Bowl. Iíve got weekends off, and thatís been the best thing since [my wife, Tracy and I] have children age 10 and 7. I donít get much sleep, but I donít travel hardly ever, and thatís a pretty fair trade. I spend a lot more time with them and my wife since I left SI and thatís the best benefit of this career change.

2. NSG: Then thereís that other small issue: money. Media reports indicate you, Dennis and Glen Ordway make well into six-figure salaries. Does that weekly check make it easy to get up at 4 a.m.?
GC: Sure does. I make more money than I ever dreamed of making and Iím grateful to the people here at the station who help make it possible. It makes those years of two-week road trips for SI and schlepping around from one high school wrestling match to another worthwhile. Iím not looking for sympathy, but we earn our dough. We do a lot of talking over that four-hour time slot and we have to be a combination of funny, entertaining and provocative. Sure itís a blast most days, but by 10 oíclock weíre bushed. Try it some time.Ē

Old
10-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
North Shore Golf posed ď18 QuestionsĒ to Callahan while he hit balls on the practice tee of his home club, Indian Ridge.

1. NSG: The wakeup call is frightfully early. The money is exceptional. The bumps have been few, but high profile. So how has the sports journalist enjoyed his new career as a radio personality in one of the sports-crazed towns in America?
GC: Itís been terrific, despite a few uncomfortable moments. Radio life is the complete opposite of sportswriting life. I get up now in what used to be the middle of the night for me, but my hours are set. I know when Iíll finish. Travel is minimal Ė a week at spring training, a week at the Super Bowl. Iíve got weekends off, and thatís been the best thing since [my wife, Tracy and I] have children age 10 and 7. I donít get much sleep, but I donít travel hardly ever, and thatís a pretty fair trade. I spend a lot more time with them and my wife since I left SI and thatís the best benefit of this career change.

2. NSG: Then thereís that other small issue: money. Media reports indicate you, Dennis and Glen Ordway make well into six-figure salaries. Does that weekly check make it easy to get up at 4 a.m.?
GC: Sure does. I make more money than I ever dreamed of making and Iím grateful to the people here at the station who help make it possible. It makes those years of two-week road trips for SI and schlepping around from one high school wrestling match to another worthwhile. Iím not looking for sympathy, but we earn our dough. We do a lot of talking over that four-hour time slot and we have to be a combination of funny, entertaining and provocative. Sure itís a blast most days, but by 10 oíclock weíre bushed. Try it some time.Ē
Correct, the stars of the shows get all the money. Meter like the rest of the flash guys don't get much. It is the D&C show not the D&C&M show.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I think its one thing to be the co-host of a morning show and another to be a flash guy, especially on WEEI which has outsourced/laid off all their other flash guys.

I don't blame meter for leaving. With ALL the changes that have gone on at that station, and he not getting promoted says it all. I doubt he wants to end up like Pete Sheppard, pretty much useless.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
North Shore Golf posed “18 Questions” to Callahan while he hit balls on the practice tee of his home club, Indian Ridge.

GC: It’s been terrific, despite a few uncomfortable moments. Radio life is the complete opposite of sportswriting life. I get up now in what used to be the middle of the night for me, but my hours are set. I know when I’ll finish. Travel is minimal – a week at spring training, a week at the Super Bowl. I’ve got weekends off, and that’s been the best thing since [my wife, Tracy and I] have children age 10 and 7. I don’t get much sleep, but I don’t travel hardly ever, and that’s a pretty fair trade. I spend a lot more time with them and my wife since I left SI and that’s the best benefit of this career change.

2. NSG: Then there’s that other small issue: money. Media reports indicate you, Dennis and Glen Ordway make well into six-figure salaries. Does that weekly check make it easy to get up at 4 a.m.?
GC: Sure does. I make more money than I ever dreamed of making and I’m grateful to the people here at the station who help make it possible. It makes those years of two-week road trips for SI and schlepping around from one high school wrestling match to another worthwhile. I’m not looking for sympathy, but we earn our dough. We do a lot of talking over that four-hour time slot and we have to be a combination of funny, entertaining and provocative. Sure it’s a blast most days, but by 10 o’clock we’re bushed. Try it some time.”
Yeah, that's 3 people at the station making big bucks D&C and the Big O. You think that Entercom is paying everyone that type of scratch? What about the dude from WAAF who just got dumped? Kevin Barbare? He wasn't pulling in much of anything and still got dropped.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7841585_ave...rsonality.html

Old
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Yeah, that's 3 people at the station making big bucks D&C and the Big O. You think that Entercom is paying everyone that type of scratch? What about the dude from WAAF who just got dumped? Kevin Barbare? He wasn't pulling in much of anything and still got dropped.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7841585_ave...rsonality.html

If these guys are close to a million a year (Ordway was over $1m), then yes I think JMP being part of the morning on air team was making $100K a year for that gig.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:32 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If these guys are close to a million a year (Ordway was over $1m), then yes I think JMP being part of the morning on air team was making $100K a year for that gig.
I've seen online in multiple places that he was getting around $75K for that gig. Either way, it's not nearly the big bucks you seem to think.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
I've seen online in multiple places that he was getting around $75K for that gig. Either way, it's not nearly the big bucks you seem to think.
I will second the 75,000 number of what I have seen online for his salary.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job for most. Weekends off, endless perks, available to work other jobs. Please dont ever say thats hard work.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job.
At the rate you are going on lowering the standards for this "dream job" you will soon be stating that $30k for getting donuts for a sports show host is a dream job.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Maybe he thinks he'll get the Patriots play by play gig

Old
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job for most. Weekends off, endless perks, available to work other jobs. Please dont ever say thats hard work.
No one is saying its hard work, but it hardly offers any job security. He saw the other 2 major flash guys get outsourced recently.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
$75K for sitting around talking sports for four hours a day is a dream job.
That's a different argument, and again, it's a lot more time than 4 hours. That's just the on air piece. Obviously a lot of people would love to do that job, but let's not just gloss over the reality of what it is. Unless you're a big, big star, you don't get big money, and you don't get to go on air and just wing it. There's a lot of time spent behind the scenes with show prep. I'd still do it in a heartbeat, but I'm not going to pretend it's easy.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
At the rate you are going on lowering the standards for this "dream job" you will soon be stating that $30k for getting donuts for a sports show host is a dream job.
Do the math - he makes over $75 per hour chatting sports. Decent wage based on 4 hours a day x 5 days a week for 50 weeks (assuming he gets 2 weeks vacation).

Old
10-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Do the math - he makes over $75 per hour chatting sports. Decent wage based on 4 hours a day x 5 days a week for 50 weeks (assuming he gets 2 weeks vacation).
It is more than 4 hours a day.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
It is more than 4 hours a day.
You act like he is preparing for a Neuroscience exam. Its sports, read the herald/globe/watch news and head into work. A play by play announcer has it much more difficult than the role he had on D&C.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
I wonder if D&C had to as well as a result of their painfully mediocre Bruins expertise/coverage in 2011.
http://boston.sbnation.com/new-engla...the-sports-hub

Old
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
You act like he is preparing for a Neuroscience exam. Its sports, read the herald/globe/watch news and head into work. A play by play announcer has it much more difficult than the role he had on D&C.
I am not. I am simply stating that it is more than 4 hours a day. I also feel you are understating the amount work that goes into the job. Either way you seem to be upset over the fact that he would a job that by your definition is a dream job to pursue other goals.

Has it dawned on you that he feels getting a play by play job is a dream job?

Old
10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
And he was doing both. He was play by play for the BC Eagles Football team and the NE Revolution Soccer team along with his morning gig. Why is it such a bone of contention with you about what he got paid and how long he worked? I'm not a fan of his work on the D&C show or his play by play style, but he's at least hustling.

Old
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
beaverjc

Quote:
And he was doing both. He was play by play for the BC Eagles Football team and the NE Revolution Soccer team along with his morning gig. Why is it such a bone of contention with you about what he got paid and how long he worked? I'm not a fan of his work on the D&C show or his play by play style, but he's at least hustling.

I think you are looking way too much into the discussion and tone. My lighthearted opinion is that i am shocked that a guy that gets paid a very good salary to hang out with his buddies and talk sports for a few hours a day would leave that position voluntarily.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I think its one thing to be the co-host of a morning show and another to be a flash guy, especially on WEEI which has outsourced/laid off all their other flash guys.

I don't blame meter for leaving. With ALL the changes that have gone on at that station, and he not getting promoted says it all. I doubt he wants to end up like Pete Sheppard, pretty much useless.
Jumping in late. So, that guy left? Like the rest of those 'eei fools, never liked him.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:17 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Agreed. To think these guys just roll out bed and talk for 4 hours and then hit the golf course is incorrect.

They do all the prep you mention plus other gigs on TV not to mention radio commercials.
Not in the biz but as noted previously, that job is not easy. It takes a lot of energy. F&M, whatever you think of them, bring a very high energy level nearly every day. For four hours. How Felger does F&M and all of the Comcast stuff is beyond me.

And how Tony's head doesn't explode is beyond me as well. Unfortunately, more and more I find myself changing the channel because the high pitch of his voice, combined with LOUD, over the top delivery has become truly irritating. And I like Tony, generally.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Not in the biz but as noted previously, that job is not easy. It takes a lot of energy. F&M, whatever you think of them, bring a very high energy level nearly every day. For four hours. How Felger does F&M and all of the Comcast stuff is beyond me.

And how Tony's head doesn't explode is beyond me as well. Unfortunately, more and more I find myself changing the channel because the high pitch of his voice, combined with LOUD, over the top delivery has become truly irritating. And I like Tony, generally.
Agree with everything. Felger must be running himself ragged between 98.5 and Comcast. Love him or hate him, it definitely seems like he busts ass for the almighty dollar.

Tony screams into his headset for 4 hours straight. I feel like he'd be a lot more listenable if he just beat the piss out of a punching bag during breaks. Get his energy out off air, and come correct on air with a more relaxed demeanor. I like them both, but the shouting gets to me.

Old
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Agree with everything. Felger must be running himself ragged between 98.5 and Comcast. Love him or hate him, it definitely seems like he busts ass for the almighty dollar.

Tony screams into his headset for 4 hours straight. I feel like he'd be a lot more listenable if he just beat the piss out of a punching bag during breaks. Get his energy out off air, and come correct on air with a more relaxed demeanor. I like them both, but the shouting gets to me.
See, to me it's not like he's so full of energy that he yells. It comes off more like a person who is hard of hearing trying to talk on a cell phone. They think if they yell really loud, everyone will hear them even if they can't hear themselves. I don't think energy is the problem.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
See, to me it's not like he's so full of energy that he yells. It comes off more like a person who is hard of hearing trying to talk on a cell phone. They think if they yell really loud, everyone will hear them even if they can't hear themselves. I don't think energy is the problem.
Either way, Tony yelling like that makes my teeth itch.

Old
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post

Will McDonough is the godfather of the sports writer/TV crossover gravy train. The ethic is:
take any media gig on earth & get while the gettin's good. I'm not putting it down, because running around like that must be exhausting.

Per Tony's schtick -- and that's what it is, high metabolism to one side -- I don't know how he keeps *that* up for four straight hours. It's unfortunate, because it's unnecessary and he appears to be a thoughtful fellow.

Haven't listened to their Saturday show, but I like Marc Bertand and Chris Gasper, too. Have listened almost from the beginning, but please to tell: why "Beetle"?

Closed Thread