Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sports Radio Thread Part 7

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2012, 10:49 AM
hoss75

vCash: 500
Regardless of research time spent... the basic premise of that was the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. If you turned on a game of a successful (more wins that loses) franchise in any sport and they get out played beginning to end and still pull out a win, you're not going to have their attitude. You're going to think, "they got stuff to work on, they need to get their heads together; BUT they're dangerous because they can have a bad night and get outplayed and still pull out a win. Everything can be going badly and they still beat a team that was clicking."

Old
10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Regardless of research time spent... the basic premise of that was the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. If you turned on a game of a successful (more wins that loses) franchise in any sport and they get out played beginning to end and still pull out a win, you're not going to have their attitude. You're going to think, "they got stuff to work on, they need to get their heads together; BUT they're dangerous because they can have a bad night and get outplayed and still pull out a win. Everything can be going badly and they still beat a team that was clicking."
Yeah, but that's how someone who actually likes and enjoys sports thinks. My fundamental problem with these two, especially Callahan, is that I think they are casual fans, at best.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Yeah, but that's how someone who actually likes and enjoys sports thinks. My fundamental problem with these two, especially Callahan, is that I think they are casual fans, at best.
It's like everyone expecting comedians to be the funniest people they've ever met, and the reality is they're usually bitter and angry. Following suit, sports talk show guys are not knowledgeable about sports. They pick up on a hot topic and run with it while it's hot, but if they weren't getting paid for it, would probably have no clue about any of it. It's a job. I'm sure like everyone else in the world, they're jaded about what they do and half ass it sometimes.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
MattFromFranklin

I'd feel prett confident in saying that was probably the first game he had watched that year. "Columbus is a better team than the Bruins?" Doesn't take much effort to look at the standings. "Graham Nash"? "Michael Ryder was the 2nd most skilled futon the team"? Wow...just wow. Granted they have improved their hockey talk ever so slightly since then, they're still absolutely clueless.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's like everyone expecting comedians to be the funniest people they've ever met, and the reality is they're usually bitter and angry. Following suit, sports talk show guys are not knowledgeable about sports. They pick up on a hot topic and run with it while it's hot, but if they weren't getting paid for it, would probably have no clue about any of it. It's a job. I'm sure like everyone else in the world, they're jaded about what they do and half ass it sometimes.
Not totally. There are hosts who take their job seriously. People can bash Felger, but chapter and verse he can tell you every sequence of plays in last week's Patriots game. Whether he's doing it off the top of his head, or reading off notes, he's doing his homework. These two clowns can't be bothered.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:00 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Not totally. There are hosts who take their job seriously. People can bash Felger, but chapter and verse he can tell you every sequence of plays in last week's Patriots game. Whether he's doing it off the top of his head, or reading off notes, he's doing his homework. These two clowns can't be bothered.
Sure, I agree that some take it serious. I was directing my response more about D&C. Felger takes it very serious. He charts out all the talking points before hand and expects Tony and Beetle to review materials on said points to be relevant on the show. It's why their show is pretty much the only one I listen to anymore on sports talk radio.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Anyone on this board can do that with the game log in front of them.

Last edited by Donnie Shulzhoffer: 10-19-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Sure, I agree that some take it serious. I was directing my response more about D&C. Felger takes it very serious. He charts out all the talking points before hand and expects Tony and Beetle to review materials on said points to be relevant on the show. It's why their show is pretty much the only one I listen to anymore on sports talk radio.
Amen to that . . .

Old
10-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
I remember T&R reading his notes on air.. really organized.

Yea they may not be in the studio doing bits like Fred does, but I am sure Felger is pretty busy in the mornings before the show.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
You're being too kind. Those two are not even remotely close to being hockey fans. I don't think they're fans of any sport, other than golf. They're just ****-stirrers.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

You would think hockey is their favorite sport based on who plays it

Old
10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
You would think hockey is their favorite sport based on who plays it
A bunch of guys who have wholeheartedly endorsed the You Can Play initiative? Are you kidding?

Old
10-19-2012, 05:01 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Aaaand again, some people whose job that is or should be can't be bothered.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
I could be totally wrong, and please correct me if I am, but you strike me as a HUGE WEEI fan.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I could be totally wrong, and please correct me if I am, but you strike me as a HUGE WEEI fan.
I am both. For the exception of the two midday crap shows my sports radio is completely satisfied with switching between stations and listening to what shows I prefer.

One example is I love Bertrand and Gasper on Saturdays and would rather throw myself out a window than to listen to Mustard and Johnson. Then on Sunday mornings I prefer Dale hosting the football show and again would find another window then listen to Gresh and his artificial voice.

Old
10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
A bunch of guys who have wholeheartedly endorsed the You Can Play initiative? Are you kidding?
I was referring to how hockey is a predominantly white sport but that works too.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I was referring to how hockey is a predominantly white sport but that works too.
yeah, but it's full of them weird furriners, you know.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

BTW, Miami University created a beautiful You Can Play video. I can't watch this without tearing up:

Old
10-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
I am both. For the exception of the two midday crap shows my sports radio is completely satisfied with switching between stations and listening to what shows I prefer.

One example is I love Bertrand and Gasper on Saturdays and would rather throw myself out a window than to listen to Mustard and Johnson. Then on Sunday mornings I prefer Dale hosting the football show and again would find another window then listen to Gresh and his artificial voice.
Same here.

6-10. if its a fresh sports story on the table, I go WEEI. If its day 3 or 4 of a beaten topic, I go 98.5 for the bits and foolishness.

10-2. Pandora 90's Alternative Rock

2-6 Felger and Mazz unconditionally. Though Jack Edwards 850 guest appearances makes it worth a switch during commercials

Old
10-19-2012, 11:17 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Same here.

6-10. if its a fresh sports story on the table, I go WEEI. If its day 3 or 4 of a beaten topic, I go 98.5 for the bits and foolishness.

10-2. Pandora 90's Alternative Rock

2-6 Felger and Mazz unconditionally. Though Jack Edwards 850 guest appearances makes it worth a switch during commercials
Agreed on the 10-2. I will listen to Gresh and Zo during Football season whenever I have the time (they sure know their stuff), and occasionally during hockey season. Mut & Merloni I don't listen to much, but I'll flip over when they have Brad Marchand on. I like Jack and everything and will turn to hear him on the big show, but it's painfully clear that Ordway doesn't know the difference between a hockey puck and a urinal cake, as he tosses out some of the softest questions (much like D&C do with Ference and Brick) left and right that just scream "casual fan." Not that Gresh and Zo's hockey expertise is off the charts, either, but they're somewhat tolerable during hockey season. Although it's clear that outside of breaking down the X's and O's from the latest Pats game, or Bill's draft strategies, the quality of their content takes a dive.

Last edited by MattFromFranklin: 10-19-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 11:22 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:

I may be in the minority, but I think "Beatle" is underrated. Get a kick out of his Mazz impersonations every now and then (*Slow Mazz-like voice* "Hey Felgahhh, the Bruins should trade Krejci and get a snipahhh like Booorby Ryan.").

Old
10-22-2012, 03:00 PM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I may be in the minority, but I think "Beatle" is underrated. Get a kick out of his Mazz impersonations every now and then (*Slow Mazz-like voice* "Hey Felgahhh, the Bruins should trade Krejci and get a snipahhh like Booorby Ryan.").
All he's doing is taking Mazz's "dumb Boston guy" bit and doing it himself.

I personally don't enjoy Bertrand as an actual radio personality as it seems his on-air persona (on the weekends anyway) is derived from Felger's.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't stand Marc Bertrand. He's a Felger puppet....and I like Felger for the most part.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I want to apologize to Rich Shirtenwhatever for grouping him into my T&R hate because my problems with that show clearly revolve around Fred because today was quite enjoyable.

I also don't like Bertrand and his whinny race card pulling co-host on Saturday. Both are a annoying.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I can't stand Marc Bertrand. He's a Felger puppet....and I like Felger for the most part.
Time to change the locks @ WBZ FM, who's paying for Felger to go to WFAN 66 for the day, hey Michael you're FIRED, YOU Tebow lover

Closed Thread