*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Liam maaskant a former d-man for the otters was claimed off of waivers by the colts.
He has good size and I'm not going to consider that horrible +/- rating considering the team he was on. Anybody know what he plays like?

Old
10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
He has good size and I'm not going to consider that horrible +/- rating considering the team he was on. Anybody know what he plays like?
I watched him play every home game last season and through camp this year. Like you said he has good size and he uses that in his game, he is not afraid to step up and take the body and is fairly good along the board. I thought he was a little weak when it came to one on ones, and his skating needs some improvement and he can be slow at times. He did not display much offensive upside but at 18 I would not be shocked to see him evolve into a good shut down type player. He has a lot of improving to do for that to happen though.

I am not sure how Barrie's D-man are (outside of the top 3) but surely he will not play over Lepkowski, Ekblad, or O'Connor. I think you may find him as the 6th d-man, 5th at best for this season.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
JSavoire

Very nice article on Neiderberger proving what I said all along that he would be the #1 in Colts Land. And Dale echoed that sentiment as well which solidifies their back end and next year it gives Fotinos the gaping open shot at starter for the year I guess. Who else do the Colts have in the goalie pool?

Link: http://thescout.ca/index.php?option=...news&Itemid=30

Old
10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

McKenzie Blackwood....he should be ready for backup duties as a 17 yo next season

Old
10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Luvtowatch

Good to see how well Smosky is doing in Mississauga. He would have looked pretty good on the line with Hall + AA.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:16 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Good to see how well Smosky is doing in Mississauga.
Agree...glad he's doing well. It's nice to see he's making the most of his opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
He would have looked pretty good on the line with Hall + AA.
Disagree...both he and Hall are centres. Also, unless something has changed, he can't skate with Zach.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:48 AM
LeafsColts13

Big win in Oshawa last night. Hope they make it 7 in a row tonight against the wolves. And also I agree it's nice to see Smosky play well.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Enjoy Athanasiou's productivity now while it lasts. His 'me first' attitude and shyness to physical play will catch up quickly and have him being the ghost that he was in London. Too bad really, guys would love to be that talented.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:31 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Enjoy Athanasiou's productivity now while it lasts. His 'me first' attitude and shyness to physical play will catch up quickly and have him being the ghost that he was in London. Too bad really, guys would love to be that talented.
Maybe, maybe not. Heard that before and seen productive seasons when a guy has a change of scenery. I guess we'll see. Certainly, he's on a much better ppg/gpg pace than he ever was in London.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:35 PM
krazy kanuck

Looking at the standings, I wonder if the Colts might investigate a trade with the 67s. Boy, they have a few pieces that would make the Colts Memorial Cup favorites, me thinks...

Old
10-14-2012, 12:15 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
London had him on the fourth line, this is no comparison in terms of the ice time the kid is receiving now.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:01 AM
LeafsColts13

Quote:
Well he is not shy to take a hit now that he is playing decent minutes cause he had a few good hits last night and he seems to get along with his teammates like extra practice with Hall. I believe he has changed and this will continue.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Arjay

AA scored the winning goal v. Sudbury last night on the PP. He came out of the corner and threw up a backhand from the slot. No chance for Vienneau. The key was a brief hesitation which froze all the defenders.

Liam Maaskant made his first appearance for rthe Colts in this game and didn't do badly. He got exposed a couple of times on the turn in his own zone, but there was no lack of effort. Skating is definitely an issue. Alex Yuill was scratched to make room. Don't know if he got hurt in Oshawa or not?

Old
10-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Well he is not shy to take a hit now that he is playing decent minutes cause he had a few good hits last night and he seems to get along with his teammates like extra practice with Hall. I believe he has changed and this will continue.
He'll be fine as long as things are going well for him. The second things start to turn, you'll see exactly what London fans are talking about. AA is a big-time front-runner.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Pony

So riddle me this, the Colts sit first round picks Alex Yuill and Brendan Perlini and dress Tyson Fawcett and Michael Webster. Are we missing something here? Webster and Fawcett are both in over their heads.
I know some London fans will continue to want to dump on AA, but he has been great for the Colts. That goal Saturday night was a beauty. Hawerchuk's system is much different than Hunters and fits much better with AA. Give the kid a break. Perhaps he just needed a change. He has been anything but selfish here.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
AA scored the winning goal v. Sudbury last night on the PP. He came out of the corner and threw up a backhand from the slot. No chance for Vienneau. The key was a brief hesitation which froze all the defenders.

Liam Maaskant made his first appearance for rthe Colts in this game and didn't do badly. He got exposed a couple of times on the turn in his own zone, but there was no lack of effort. Skating is definitely an issue. Alex Yuill was scratched to make room. Don't know if he got hurt in Oshawa or not?
Glad to here Maaskant did a decent job playing his first game. Definitely agree skating is an issue but I always enjoyed his physical play, he will stand anyone up with a nice hit. I really hope he gets a good opportunity in Barrie because he was a great kid on and off the ice who was always smiling and put the fans first.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
NHL Fanatic

London fans are just hoping for the worst for AA. I've heard he is cocky as well but kids mature. Not only is he drafted but now he actually gets ice time. On another note another solid win for the team, they will need to keep it consistent moving forward. Personally I like Yuill more than Webster but ultimately that is the coach's decision.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:25 AM
aresknights

One London fan here hoping AA has matured and gotten past his seemingly selfish ways.
He'd be a great to watch if he continues to buy into team systems and be a good teammate. For whatever reason ( ive hears a few) London wasn't a good fit. Can he change? For sure, ESP in the short term. Will it continue, I hope so. But he's had a history of "issues" on a few of his minor teams

Old
10-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Agree...glad he's doing well. It's nice to see he's making the most of his opportunity.

Disagree...both he and Hall are centres. Also, unless something has changed, he can't skate with Zach.
He has been playing RW with Mississauga.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Zipper89

Smosk will do well playing the missy system, he needed a change of scenery he
would not have prospered in the colts system and Dale was not going to utilize him. Im glad he is having a chance to play some meaningful minutes and hopfully further his career.

In regards to the 67's trading away some meaningful pieces i dont think that will happen this early in the season but if they continue to slide/stay at the bottom of the eastern conference i hope the colts jump all over the chance to gain a ceci or monahan!!!!

Watched the game against the Wolves, kind of confused why Yuill was scratched and maskant played? He is a big kid, but definatly needs to work on his skating a few times players used their speed to beat him wide. Webster has impressed me thus far, plays his position well, can skate well, quick to make an outlet pass, and he tried to throw a few big hits against the wolves (one he ended up flipping over the wolve player and smashing into the boards).

So far the line of Beyers, Schiefele & Camara has been dominant.
Hall & Athanisou along with rotating line mates McDonald/Bradford have faired well
The line of Bradford, McDonald and Bell is a strong line especially a 3rd line.
Our youngsters along with corson on the 4th do their part, and will come along.

Im still thinkin the colts need to pick up a 2nd/3rd line winger
& if the oppourtunity arises a top 4 d-man

Old
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
One London fan here hoping AA has matured and gotten past his seemingly selfish ways.
He'd be a great to watch if he continues to buy into team systems and be a good teammate. For whatever reason ( ive hears a few) London wasn't a good fit. Can he change? For sure, ESP in the short term. Will it continue, I hope so. But he's had a history of "issues" on a few of his minor teams
A few? He had issues with every team he's ever played for. There's a reason he played Major Midget in his draft year - burned every single bridge in his own age group!

Old
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
aresknights

MAybe hes figured it out? Maybe its the perfect fit? MAybe hell go back to his old ways.
Hes just a kid and Im trying not to be overly critical regardless of what info Ive been told of. Hope he keeps it up, if not, he wont be the first talent to fall by the wayside

Old
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

he's an 18 year old kid....maybe he had a bit of an ego, maybe he just had an issue with ice time and if he gets it it is okay...either way...kids mature a lot from 15-18.....and he will even more as he continues to get older...to come on here and sewer the kid when he is being the most productive he has ever been shows malicious intent....it's ridiculous...

Old
10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Zipper89

well said racer14

He is playing very well, shows hustle & heart every shift. Has stuck up for his teamates, scored some beautiful goals, and set-up some very nice plays. He adds an exceptional threat to our second powerplay unit (and if anyone has watched any games thus far, we have a pretty good pp all around).

Give the kid a break, he is going to be an exceptional player and has above average skill, a change of scenery has done Andreas very well. He is a teenage kid playing the sport he loves, no need to criticise him or question his attitude. The past is exactly that (the past) and so far in the present he has been a great player/teammate.

Cant wait for the colts to face the London Knights so they can see what kind of a player he has become when he has the support of his teammates, coaching staff & fans!

Go Colts Go

Old
10-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Colts Fan

Calling for some help from all OHL fans. I am in a discussion with CIS fans over which is better Canadian University Hockey or Major Junior. I guess I am the only Major Junior fan on this site and I am outnumbered 10 to 1 . I can't post as fast as the responses I am getting. Anybody has 2 cents worth of opinion , how about throwing it in. The link is posted below.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1265501

Thanks
Colts Fan

Closed Thread