*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM
JSavoire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Moving forward the best thing for Lemieux in my opinion is strict/strong leadership from his team-mates and his coaches. I believe his maturing/attitude is huge to his success moving forward. I think any kid with NHL dreams needs the OHL for its schedule length , systems, talent level, etc. To me going the NCAA route is a backward or lateral step if your goal is NHL.

I would have to agree with that 100%. If the kids ambition is to really play in the NHL then the OHL would've been a better route. If one wanted guaranteed education while maintaining a foot in the NHL door then NCAA is the better route for that. Some people call that the conservative route.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Anybody know when the colts training camp opens?
August 27th! 1 week!!! boys will start getting in Friday!

Old
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
I would have to agree with that 100%. If the kids ambition is to really play in the NHL then the OHL would've been a better route. If one wanted guaranteed education while maintaining a foot in the NHL door then NCAA is the better route for that. Some people call that the conservative route.
For this kid, tho....his dream is to play NCAA hockey for the exact team he has verbally committed with...not just NCAA in particular..when he walked in the rink he got goosebumps...

all of this NHL talk is fine and dandy, and the O has proven that it is the best way to the promised land for the elite players....

But if you had a chance to live your dream....even if it isn't maybe the one that everyone else thinks you should have as your dream, would you not take it?

I hope he signs next year and is a Colt, but I can't say I disagree with any decision the kid and his family made. If it is what he wants to do...then to me that shows a good attitude and maturity.

Let's be honest...around here...OHL and the players have it pretty good (you all know what I mean). He has turned a lot down thus far to pursue HIS dream.

To play for UND is a big deal.

Old
08-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Anybody know when the colts training camp opens?
August 27th! 1 week!!! boys will start getting in Friday!

Old
08-20-2012, 02:43 PM
behind the d

What the D pairings look like

Any thoughts on what the D pairings will be now that Garcia has signed? who is staying and going?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Here are the options:

LD:
Laser
Lepkowski
Yuill
Garcia
Hartwick

RD:
Ekblad
O'Connor
Buonomo
Fatovic

possible combos?

lepkowski/ ekblad
yuill/buonomo
Garcia/Fatovic
Laser

or put OC in buonomo's spot depeding on who stays as the OA (I think Buonomo is the better option) so I put him there.

Laser/Garcia/Fatovic could make any 3rd pairing combo

Hartwick will be released....a little birdie also told me that something may be up with LAser but I will believe it when I see it.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Johnsb

Don't agree with Garcia & Fatovic being before Laser. For one I think the later is a real long shot to make the team and yes Garcia has signed however that would make 4 out of 7 D 95/96 birthdate.

Unless Barrie is going into a full rebuild starting from the net out I don't see this happening.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsb View Post
Don't agree with Garcia & Fatovic being before Laser. For one I think the later is a real long shot to make the team and yes Garcia has signed however that would make 4 out of 7 D 95/96 birthdate.

Unless Barrie is going into a full rebuild starting from the net out I don't see this happening.
Garcia was a better than average d-man in the GTHL last year. He is a good skater who got lots of icetime as the other d-men on his team were average at best. I never saw any reason to think that he would be playing in the O at 16. If he does it wouldn't be a regular shift unless he really improved over the summer. I would think that in a year he will be fine.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Garcia was a better than average d-man in the GTHL last year. He is a good skater who got lots of icetime as the other d-men on his team were average at best. I never saw any reason to think that he would be playing in the O at 16. If he does it wouldn't be a regular shift unless he really improved over the summer. I would think that in a year he will be fine.
Dale is a guy and coach I know well enough to say that it would surprise me a lot if he were to play that many young guys on D this upcoming year. Rather I expect at least one or two to be playing Tier 2.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Dale is a guy and coach I know well enough to say that it would surprise me a lot if he were to play that many young guys on D this upcoming year. Rather I expect at least one or two to be playing Tier 2.
I don't disagree but who are you going to play there then with the roster we have...to do what you guys want to we would need some trades to take place.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I don't disagree but who are you going to play there then with the roster we have...to do what you guys want to we would need some trades to take place.
Depends on who the OA's are this year. I would think Buonomo will be one. What about O'Connor?

Old
08-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
That's assuming they find spots in Tier 2. Not as many teams anymore.....

Old
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
behind the d

From what i hear its next to impossible to get on a tier 2 team as a 16 year old,, Garcia i believe will get some good playing time but i would consider him in a more of a stay at home D as his last years stats would show, As far as going with a group of young D it is not unheard of if the talent pool is deep just look at Kingston they will be playing their 16 year olds this year.

Old
08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
behind the d

Also besides Ekblad who else would be considered as an offensive D on the team?

Old
08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Depends on who the OA's are this year. I would think Buonomo will be one. What about O'Connor?
With Niederberger and Beyrs back...hard to see both of them on the team....

Garcia has been billeted so it is safe to assume he will be with the team....rooming with Corsons

Old
08-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by behind the d View Post
Also besides Ekblad who else would be considered as an offensive D on the team?
Yuill, O'connor (if back) and lepkowski are all good offensively and buonomo showed flashes last year as well..great long passer.

Old
08-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Johnsb

I'm thinking a move for another D is in the works or going to be. I can see 3 them playing not 4.

Lep/Ekb
Yuill/OC or Buonomo
Laser/Trade?
Garcia

Old
08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Zipper89

Barrie Colts Lineup 2012-2013

T. Pearson (pending NHL lockout) M. Scheifle A. Camara

B. Perlini Z. Hall S. Beyers

B. Bell E. Bradford J. MacDonald

D. Corson Smoskowitz Markkula

C. Buonomo A. Ekblad

A. Lepkowski A. Yuill

J. Laser Fatovic

C.J Garcia

Fotinos

Pending any trades i still feel the colts trade away smoskowitz (dales doghouse), laser, niederberger, o'connor, sutch ect...

I expect a shutdown defenceman to be brought in to play 3rd line D who will be effective on the PK as well, along with a good 4th line role player, also who would be effective on the PK. The colts have great offence and a proven PP, they only need to work on the D to help new starting tender Fotinos. Last year's "kid" line of MacDonald, Bradford & Bell will be one of the most impressive hard to compete against 3rd lines in the OHL next year, those kids work hard every shift & have the right amount of skill, grit, forecheck to be a tough line for anyteam to play against.

Buonomo should be named Captain for this year, with the alternates going to Scheifle, Pearson & Ekblad.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper89 View Post

C. Buonomo A. Ekblad

A. Lepkowski A. Yuill

J. Laser Fatovic

C.J Garcia

Fotinos

Pending any trades i still feel the colts trade away smoskowitz (dales doghouse), laser, niederberger, o'connor, sutch ect...

I expect a shutdown defenceman to be brought in to play 3rd line D who will be effective on the PK as well, along with a good 4th line role player, also who would be effective on the PK. The colts have great offence and a proven PP, they only need to work on the D to help new starting tender Fotinos. Last year's "kid" line of MacDonald, Bradford & Bell will be one of the most impressive hard to compete against 3rd lines in the OHL next year, those kids work hard every shift & have the right amount of skill, grit, forecheck to be a tough line for anyteam to play against.

Buonomo should be named Captain for this year, with the alternates going to Scheifle, Pearson & Ekblad.
that would be a great lineup, unfortunately, lockout or no lockout Tanner will be playing in the AHL.....

Niederberger is being brought back, but I think Fotinos has a great shot to take the job (a job he should already have in the first place)

Old
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

if you don't mind puttiong up with loud (and sometiems funny) adolescents this is a good clip... the overtime highlights where Camara scores....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgPKM1R1wTg

Old
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM
DEVSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
if you don't mind puttiong up with loud (and sometiems funny) adolescents this is a good clip... the overtime highlights where Camara scores....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgPKM1R1wTg
Lol, I have watched this many times. It is hilarious.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Johnsb

Originally Posted by Zipper89

C. Buonomo A. Ekblad

A. Lepkowski A. Yuill

J. Laser Fatovic

C.J Garcia

Fotinos

What about Justin Scott? Will he play tier 2?

Old
08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony View Post
Here's my stab at the lines for this season being that Pearson plays in the AHL, Scheifele returns and Niederberger, O'Connor and Beyers are the OAs. Would rather keep Buonomo, but he's easier to deal because O'Connor's education package.

Line 1
LW- Anthony Camara C- Mark Scheifele RW- Steven Beyers
DEF- Alex Lepkowski, Aaron Ekblad

Line 2
LW- Joshua MacDonald C- Zach Hall RW- Ray Huether/Erik Bradford
DEF- Ryan O'Connor, Alex Yuill
If the Colts don't get Pearson back, they should look to acquire a veteran winger who can slide into top six who can provide some grit with good hands to play on the second line. Huether needs to have a big camp and prove he can score in major junior as well as he does in Tier II.

Line 3 (checking/energy line)
LW- Brendan Bell C- Dylan Corson RW-Markkula
DEF - Jonathan Laser, Fatovic

Line 4-
LW- Brendan Perlini C- Justin Scott RW- Cash Seraphim
DEF - CJ Garcia, Norm Ezekiel (Dale fudges his birth certificate because he loves him so much)
Markulla could move down to this line if Bradford or Huether goes down from second line. If Seraphim's skating has improved enough, his size and hands could be a nice fit on this all rookie line.

Goalie- Mathias Niederberger, Alex Fotinos
Fotinos could really push Niederberger here and prove he can handle No. 1 duties. I could see Colts moving Niederberger and bringing up MacKenzie Blackwood to back up. Blackwood has looked really good and I understand even opposing team scouts raved about him at last year's OHL Cup.

Too bad, but Lemieux if playing State side with Green Bay. Shore is going NCAA route which is too bad because he'd be a huge point producer for Barrie this season. This team lucks out and gets both Scheifele and Pearson and they are all in. Likely only Scheifele is back so they need to pick up another veteran winger who can score. Sutch and Buonomo will be moved, which is too bad. Sutch was a physical force late in season before getting hurt and Buonomo was one of team's top Defenceman and provides that grit and leadership. Still, he's easier to move because of O'Connor's big education package.
Blackwood is no where near ready Niederberger Fotinos . Totally agree with the push from Fotinos for the #1 spot.

Old
08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Zipper89

I have not had a chance to watch Justin Scott play, however the lineup spot is his to win come training camp this upcoming week. The colts will be making a few trades very soon in order to move some OA's & i still feel that Smoskowitz is not in Dale's future plans and will be moved, also with Fatovic & Garcia emerging as dependable D-men Laser will be moved also. In all i feel the colts move Sutch, O'Connor, Laser, Somskowitz (keep Beyers, Buonomo & Berge as there OA's, however i still feel Fotinos deserves the job in net and Berger along with above mentioned name should be moved for a first line winger to play with Schiefle & Camara).

Back to the question in hand about Scott. I feel that Scott & Seraphim will battle for the last remaning roster spot if Smoskowitz is moved.

However training camp & trades can bring alot of change, and there is nothing wrong with players battling it out for a roster spot come camp.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:09 PM
JSavoire

[QUOTE=Zipper89;53796839]The colts will be making a few trades very soon in order to move some OA's & i still feel that Smoskowitz is not in Dale's future plans and will be moved, also with Fatovic & Garcia emerging as dependable D-men Laser will be moved also. In all i feel the colts move Sutch, O'Connor, Laser, Somskowitz (keep Beyers, Buonomo & Berge as there OA's, however i still feel Fotinos deserves the job in net and Berger along with above mentioned name should be moved for a first line winger to play with Schiefle & Camara).

I'd be shocked if Fotinos is moved ahead of Burger Man. I don't see Dale risking team's Standings that way, especially with Fotinos having turned 17 this year.

Closed Thread