HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Want to know where we screwed up with Marleau?

Old
04-18-2012, 05:56 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Want to know where we screwed up with Marleau?

We screwed up when we gave him the "C" years back. Now, I'm not trying to start a thread about trading him or how much he sucks. This also isn't the typical whipping boy thread.

But, he is exactly the type of player that you don't ever let off on accountability. Ever.

Yes, goal scorers are streaky, but they need to show up to big games consistently. Streakiness in the playoffs is unacceptable. We can plainly see that he doesn't even look like he wants to be anywhere near the puck. In 3 games he skates like he has been practically allergic to the puck.

If you want to know why we're losing this series, its because he is not on the scoreboard. If he remains pointless, it will be a miracle that we get ahead this round. He is supposed to be our best playoff performer, and where is that performance? I don't see it.

This goes beyond seeing his picture on the milk carton. His disappearance is worse then the 10 years it took to find Osama Bin Laden. Yeah, we need a new picture of him at no.1 of the top of the FBI most wanted list.

He doesn't suck. He is fast, great shot, and yes high skill.
He needs a big kick in the ass to get going. I'm tired of seeing this guy come into the playoffs like a party and its fashionable to be late. Being late is going to be too late to get into it this time, Marleau.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

If I'm not mistaken, he was named captain to end the period of rotating captaincy that the team had. And it was in fact the team that chose to keep Marleau with the C on his chest, not the coaches or management

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Alyn McCauley told the coaches when after Marleau's turn with the rotating C that Patty shouhld just keep it, if I'm not mistaken.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
PondShark

Marleau is not contributing if he is not on the scoreboard and i went wrong with him when i started expecting him to do more with his vast skillset.

I know Sharks players are reading this board. Come on boys pick #12 up give him a shake or two so he remembers what he is capable of. Get your blue collard ***** on, grab your lunch pale and had hat. Take it to the Blues!

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PondShark View Post
Marleau is not contributing if he is not on the scoreboard and i went wrong with him when i started expecting him to do more with his vast skillset.

I know Sharks players are reading this board. Come on boys pick #12 up give him a shake or two so he remembers what he is capable of. Get your blue collard ***** on, grab your lunch pale and had hat. Take it to the Blues!
A complete load of crap. If a player is only contributing by scoring, then he is not contributing enough to win either. People pissing and moaning over Marleau's pointless streak in this series simply don't pay attention to the game enough.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM
PondShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
A complete load of crap. If a player is only contributing by scoring, then he is not contributing enough to win either. People pissing and moaning over Marleau's pointless streak in this series simply don't pay attention to the game enough.
sorry i expect patti to have more effects on a game than just putting up goals. we do pay him 7M to do so.

and please pink stop putting words im my mouth.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
sorry i expect patti to have more effects on a game than just putting up goals. we do pay him 7M to do so.

and please pink stop putting words im my mouth.
You are the one that said that if he's not scoring, he is not contributing. I'm not putting anything out there that you didn't explicitly state.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:58 PM
WSS11

vCash: 772
i'm a big time believer that a player can still be effective and contribute even if he isn't on the score sheet (i.e. good back checking and defensive zone play)..however Marleau is not a 3rd/4th line tweener. He's paid 7 mil a year to be a point producing 1st line player and he's not living up to expectations or his contract.

WSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
PondShark

Quote:
You are the one that said that if he's not scoring, he is not contributing. I'm not putting anything out there that you didn't explicitly state.
Yeah and that was a whole sentence dont stop reading after that... i followed that up by acknowledging that Patrick has a vast skillset to use. Context.

Its the same as the other thread... he is good, he has skills, he needs to step it up b/c he is floating right now and can do much better. we need him to. really i dont even know why this is a back and forth - marleau... streaky scorer capable of much more.

Pens Flyers is crazy!

Old
04-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS11 View Post
i'm a big time believer that a player can still be effective and contribute even if he isn't on the score sheet (i.e. good back checking and defensive zone play)..however Marleau is not a 3rd/4th line tweener. He's paid 7 mil a year to be a point producing 1st line player and he's not living up to expectations or his contract.
Thats the bottom line. Saying he's not floating, doing the little things is really just splitting hairs

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
7m per year, 24 games, 4 goals.

Maybe he's contributing by his defensive plays, I can get a 3rd line grinder for 2.5m to do that.

He needs to score goals, and if he doesn't then we're not going past the first round, and a player at 7m a year, that's all on him.

4 goals in 24 games, and those 24 games, we were battling for the playoffs and needed people to stand up. He didn't.

I love Patty, but now is the time for him to stand up and find the back of the net.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
OrrNumber4

Marleau is contributing away from the puck. But it seems like he has gotten too comfortable scoring with his speed and shot.

By that, I mean he is scoring off the rush, or when he is in position to get a clear shot. Since the former doesn't happen with this sytem, he is limited to the second. Not his positioning, his smarts, his ability to grind it out on the boards...when, you can argue due to variance/luck/etc., your shooting goes away, you should have other skills to fall back on. Some guys like Heatley compensated by being great passers, so it doesn't have to be in scoring goals.

What I mean, is that while Marleau is a very well-rounded player, he offense is less well-rounded than it has been in the past.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hear what you are saying PF but the fact is that he makes close to 7M a year to score goals. What little things he does outside of that are useful, no denying that, but if he cannot do his main job then there is something wrong.

Patty is not the only player in our team not performing upto expectation but being an ex-Captain and 'leader' more is expected off him.

04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Do people not remember the playoffs he had the year he got the C???
You could just as easily argue that we screwed up Malreau when we got Thornton.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
Do people not remember the playoffs he had the year he got the C???
You could just as easily argue that we screwed up Malreau when we got Thornton.
Definitely. JT makes this team better, but it also means that we have to cater the system to JT. The team used to be transition and speed until JT got here, and that really didn't help Patty's style of play.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:20 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Definitely. JT makes this team better, but it also means that we have to cater the system to JT. The team used to be transition and speed until JT got here, and that really didn't help Patty's style of play.
Yep I mean he has put up some great numbers since being moved to Thornton's wing, but the 04 playoffs through the 06 and 07 season was the best hockey he ever played, when they got JT they had 2 #1 centers that could play you in 2 different ways, and it was extremely fun to watch.
I loved Patty's old game, I feel like putting him into this complimentery position is one of the reasons why haven't really seen much of his dominant playoff play the last few years.
People say the whole team adjusts to Thornton's style, but if you put Havlat and Patty back together at least there is one line that will require the opposition to adjust defensivley, and I think there would be some good results.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
Yep I mean he has put up some great numbers since being moved to Thornton's wing, but the 04 playoffs through the 06 and 07 season was the best hockey he ever played, when they got JT they had 2 #1 centers that could play you in 2 different ways, and it was extremely fun to watch.
I loved Patty's old game, I feel like putting him into this complimentery position is one of the reasons why haven't really seen much of his dominant playoff play the last few years.
People say the whole team adjusts to Thornton's style, but if you put Havlat and Patty back together at least there is one line that will require the opposition to adjust defensivley, and I think there would be some good results.
100% agree.

I just miss Michalek, and I miss Bernier being good. That line would be killer today.

I think that Havlat and Marleau will be effective together. But next season I'd like to set up the lines better, stick Couture on those two's wing, split up Pavs and JT and run three scoring lines, etc. I'm kinda looking forward to the off-season, to be honest.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Sharksfan83

I'd rather see Pavs run his own line...

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan83 View Post
I'd rather see Pavs run his own line...
I don't know if you're responding to me, but that's what I was proposing...

Old
04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Moving Marleau back to center helps and caters more to his game. He's always been a better center than wingers imo.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
BCShark

hes a choker plain and simple

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
murdock1116

I agree that you don't need to be on the score sheet to "contribute."

But lets face it, Marleau is NOT playing well. He's not being a tenacious forechecker which he should be with his skill set. And he's not doing well on the PK either. Entire PK is sucking it up.

The bottom line is that he is floating and he doesn't look like he is putting much effort into this series. He really needs to step up his play.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

he was a great player back when he had the C, its when he lost it that his effort and work ethic disappeared

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:28 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
He threw a really good body check last game.. maybe he's back?

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Yeah and that was a whole sentence dont stop reading after that... i followed that up by acknowledging that Patrick has a vast skillset to use. Context.

Its the same as the other thread... he is good, he has skills, he needs to step it up b/c he is floating right now and can do much better. we need him to. really i dont even know why this is a back and forth - marleau... streaky scorer capable of much more.

Pens Flyers is crazy!
Actually, I would suggest you read the whole thing because nothing you said after that changes the original statement from you being that if he isn't scoring, he isn't contributing. To you, that vast skill set ultimately scores or is useless.

The thought that he is floating is nonsense to me. He is playing physically, he is going to the front of the net every time they have possession, and he is the first fore-checker when they don't. He is even involved and engaged in the post-whistle scrums.

The reality is that there are legitimate reasons why that top line is not scoring and it falls on the guy making the plays, Joe Thornton, and the recipient of those passes, Joe Pavelski. Since they're not utilizing their left winger the right way and have become predictable and simply aren't that quick in the first place, they are easy to defend. You can count on one hand how many times the puck has been put on or near Marleau's stick in a scoring area these three games.

I just get so tired of people jumping on the blame game train when they have nothing to support it with except he's floating and he's not scoring. Thinking that that is some self-supporting statement when it isn't.