HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Want to know where we screwed up with Marleau?

Old
04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
posted this in the GDT, but for the sake of discussion i suppose it would be better suited here.

---------

found this interesting from Pollaks blog.

"*****In addition to the lineup changes, McLellan’s adjustments Wednesday included moving Patrick Marleau to the center spot between Ryane Clowe and Marty Havlat.

The switch, McLellan said, should enable Marleau, who has been scoreless in the series, “to use his size through the middle, his size and speed” all over the ice.

“When he’s a winger, he has a tendency to play on just one-third of the ice surface,” the coach added. “That doesn’t happen all the time because in our system you’re allowed to wander. But he’s a big man and he’s a strong man and he can get to places because he can skate well.”

Somehow, between the lines, I’m hearing a coach quietly faulting a player for not taking advantage of the system he plays in. But maybe that’s just me."

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...he-best-plane/

I read it the same as Pollak. I thought in game 3 he was moving about a bit more though.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
tmunnuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
McLellan’s adjustments Wednesday included moving Patrick Marleau to the center spot
So much for the injured wrist theory.

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
whoa whoa whoa, McLellan is making an adjustment?!?!

the apocalypse must be coming

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
exchequer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
whoa whoa whoa, McLellan is making an adjustment?!?!

the apocalypse must be coming
he must be thinking: "it's me or marleau"

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:59 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

martin broduer, yes the goaltender, has more points than marleau does. just sayin

McLovin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
justinboo*

marleau needs a new team to play for thats all. i mean how long has he been a shark? it gets old after awhile im sure hes tired of the same story every year.

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:12 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post
marleau needs a new team to play for thats all. i mean how long has he been a shark? it gets old after awhile im sure hes tired of the same story every year.
There are some of us who are tired of the same complaints every year. Some of them baseless. It has been made abundantly clear that he wishes to remain in SJ and that he is not "tired" of SJ.

Complaints about his leadership when he was captain, yet he took SJ farther than any other captain. Things going wrong this year with a new captain and it is still Marleau's fault. Please . . .

And I don't read TM's complaint as purely about Marleau. I read it as more of complaint about chemistry. And there is more than one player involved in that chemistry and I have covered the issues both positive and negative about the chemistry as it exists among TM's standard alignment in the top 6.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
There are some of us who are tired of the same complaints every year. Some of them baseless. It has been made abundantly clear that he wishes to remain in SJ and that he is not "tired" of SJ.

Complaints about his leadership when he was captain, yet he took SJ farther than any other captain. Things going wrong this year with a new captain and it is still Marleau's fault. Please . . .

And I don't read TM's complaint as purely about Marleau. I read it as more of complaint about chemistry. And there is more than one player involved in that chemistry and I have covered the issues both positive and negative about the chemistry as it exists among TM's standard alignment in the top 6.
Seriously? He said Marelau only plays 1/3 side of the ice as wing even though TMac and JT (Just today) said they have full license to play anywhere and are expected to. JT said it when asked about mixing up the lines.

They play based on who enters the zone and are allowed to play any position based on how the play develops. That doesn't mean that they don't try to set up play based on their positions, but they are definitely allowed to enter the zone and play based on however the play develops.

Marleau was definitely criticized in that piece. Even DP saw it.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:34 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Seriously? He said Marelau only plays 1/3 side of the ice as wing even though TMac and JT (Just today) said they have full license to play anywhere and are expected to. JT said it when asked about mixing up the lines.

They play based on who enters the zone and are allowed to play any position based on how the play develops. That doesn't mean that they don't try to set up play based on their positions, but they are definitely allowed to enter the zone and play based on however the play develops.

Marleau was definitely criticized in that piece. Even DP saw it.
Yet when he goes to places and gets open, he doesn't get the puck. It goes to Pavs even when Marleau is more open. TM may see it in part that way but I am sure he is aware of other issues.

Let's see how the Couture/JT/Pavs forecheck works. I am aware of issues of the generic forecheck that haven't been working against the Blues and I have seen Patty try to mitigate it with little success. The other lines have been even less successful and less flexible. They need a guy on the weakside and the whole team bunches to one side. I have been seeing the team try to spread breakouts and entries at the outset of each game but they keep going back to what they have done all year which is one-sided.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:36 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post

What is consistent is the expectations for Marleau are high because of his abilities and salary and its fair to complain about his results and at times his effort. On the whole, I've been more impressed with Marleau's game this year. He's been engaged and finishing checks more than any time I can recall. But he's not alone in deserving criticism and I don't lay the fault of this season's woes at his feet. The most obvious problem with the team this year has been the PK. That's not Marleau's main role. The PK in my opinion is a coaching issue.

It is a team sport and if the teams PK were playoff quality, and the PP was making a difference in the series, nobody would be talking about Marleau's results in this series, but expectations are high and he hasn't helped as much as he can or should. Marleau might very well show up tonight and score, but if the team isn't energized, fighting for space, winning draws and PK'ing it doesn't matter if he shows up. Let's hope his move to centre gets him and a few other guys going and the PK remembers what its like to not get scored on.

04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

I may be on Marleau right now, but to be fair, Tmac probably criticized many players behind the scenes and said what he said more for public consumption as much as anything.

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

It was well known that Ron Wilson used to rip on Marleau at every possible opportunity to get him going. And you know what? It worked.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
It was well known that Ron Wilson used to rip on Marleau at every possible opportunity to get him going. And you know what? It worked.
No it didn't.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
No it didn't.
Marleau was a much more effective player during RW's years than he has during McLellan's time.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Marleau was a much more effective player during RW's years than he has during McLellan's time.
Statistically incorrect. This doesn't pass the eyeball test either.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:28 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Yeah, we should all thank ol' Ronny for that great 07-08 season; never mind the fact that Marleau scored 39, 44, and 37 goals in the three years following RW leaving.

What really ****ed Marleau over was trading Michalek. They'd be great together.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

vCash: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, we should all thank ol' Ronny for that great 07-08 season; never mind the fact that Marleau scored 39, 44, and 37 goals in the three years following RW leaving.

What really ****ed Marleau over was trading Michalek. They'd be great together.
I'll never forget RW jumping all over Marleau and the rest of the 07-08 team, yelling at them to "wake up!" right before we got embarrassed by Dallas. Bad times.... worse than right now I would say.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Went wrong with him right from the minute the sharks announced they were proud to take him 2nd overall in the draft.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Went wrong with him right from the minute the sharks announced they were proud to take him 2nd overall in the draft.
There's really no need for Thornton fans to pile on. I'm sure you don't like it when Thornton gets bashed. It's one thing if a neutral observer bashes him but you're to Thornton what Pink Floyd is to Marleau. Marleau fans are gonna get upset that a well-known Thornton fan is dissing their boy and then there's gonna be arguments back and forth between Thornton and Marleau fans about who sucks more. Thornton and Marleau are most likely not going anywhere with their NMC's so like it not, you're gonna have to deal with both of them until their contracts run out.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:07 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Yeah, too bad we didn't draft Luongo Brewer or Jokinen or Samsonov.

They're pointing out that he's had a bad series, and there's irrational hatred. Pretty obvious which side you're on.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
dynamoovechkin

Dustin Byfuglien charged with impaired boating. Isn't that what Marleau is doing?

Soft sniper goes AWOL during the playoffs...again. To say this has been a repeating pattern with this guy would be an understatement. Question is, what do you do with the guy? He has two years left at a cap hit of 6.9 with a full no trade. What GM is the league would even be interested in a brain dead aging forward with a history of playoff disappearing acts at 6.9MM?

Somebody call Jeremy Roenick to publicly rip him again. Maybe that will get him going. I remember intially being pissed at JR for that, and later kind of loving it. Gutless, I think was the work he used.

And I totally agree with the poster who said the failing of the PK should be on McLellan. IMHO he has done a subpar job this year.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
PaulieVegas

I think they screwed up biggest when they have him a no-trade clause.

PaulieVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
I think they screwed up biggest when they have him a no-trade clause.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
MrEJH
Thanks Markus

Quote:

MrEJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
justinboo*

Wow that 4 year contract was a NTC?.... whyyyy. In game 1 his face looked so bleak, this dude needs a new change of scenery. Its not that hes tired of SJ. Dude makes millions of dollars every year and built a foundation for his family to grow up. Who needs a cup when you got that?

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote