HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Want to know where we screwed up with Marleau?

Old
04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
sjshrky27

vCash: 500
Im not worried about the NTC. Marleau would waive it if asked (depending on what team is was). But just about every team in the NHL would be interested in a trade for Patty.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Im not worried about the NTC. Marleau would waive it if asked (depending on what team is was). But just about every team in the NHL would be interested in a trade for Patty.
It's a NMC. He has no reason to waive it.
I agree with Hockeyball's stance. If he didn't have a NMC, it'd be a different question and I'd be up for it. Because he has one, there is no reason to ask him to waive it, and he certainly wouldn't waive it regardless (unless maybe the team on the other end is LA).

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It's a NMC. He has no reason to waive it.
They can put him on unconditional waivers with the intention of buying him out. That's pretty much it unless they have a window in there.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:04 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
They can put him on unconditional waivers with the intention of buying him out. That's pretty much it unless they have a window in there.
I guess. It'd be a Boyle situation where you either go to Columbus, or we trade you to said team. The only way this happens though is if DW is canned and the team gets a completely different GM.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I guess. It'd be a Boyle situation where you either go to Columbus, or we trade you to said team. The only way this happens though is if DW is canned and the team gets a completely different GM.
Boyle's situation was a little bit different mostly because the team that would have likely plucked him off waivers was Atlanta. They also had the option of regular waivers that didn't require his permission. I'm not sure that Columbus would make the claim for him. It's a lot of money and Marleau would retain the NMC so there's not much flexibility with regards to moving him and the value would also lessen due to that. Sure, it's better than nothing but the way that they have run that organization, there's no guarantee that they could pull the trigger on trading him.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:18 PM
PondShark

he has no heart, no competitive fire, seems fine with losing. Sick of him.

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Patty has all the attributes needed to still play at an elite level but he just is not right now. Get the man a psychologist and help him through whatever his problems are.

I really think its all mental with him.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Boyle's situation was a little bit different mostly because the team that would have likely plucked him off waivers was Atlanta. They also had the option of regular waivers that didn't require his permission. I'm not sure that Columbus would make the claim for him. It's a lot of money and Marleau would retain the NMC so there's not much flexibility with regards to moving him and the value would also lessen due to that. Sure, it's better than nothing but the way that they have run that organization, there's no guarantee that they could pull the trigger on trading him.
I forgot buyout is the only option and a precursor to that is waivers.

Well, if the team does choose the "blow it up" route, then the new GM (or DW) must consider handling Jumbo and Patty in this fashion.

We all say neither would accept this but if faced with waivers/buyout, wouldn't it be better for each player to have some say on where they go? Then again, if the players force a buyout, they become UFAs anyhow.

Who knows... doubt it happens but part of me wouldn't mind it.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Patty has all the attributes needed to still play at an elite level but he just is not right now. Get the man a psychologist and help him through whatever his problems are.

I really think its all mental with him.
I agree with you, but he needs more then a shrink, he needs a new enviroment.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Gilligans island- thornton wouldn't need to be forced to waive his no trade clause. If wilson came to thornton tomorrow and said we are going into a rebuild and we want to trade you, thornton would accept to the right team (obviously). There really isn't anything keeping thornton in san jose, other then his love of the team and city. His wife isn't from san jose, he has no family there, his kid is still young enough that a move wouldn't affect his life in any way.

Marleau on the other hand I just do see him even accepting a trade to a contender. His wife is from san jose (if I'm not mistaken), her family is still there, atleast one if not 2 of marleau's kids are at the stage where making friends is the most important part of there growth (moving does not help this).

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote