HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watching Leaf Games in Ottawa

Old
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Gillumin

vCash: 500
Watching Leaf Games in Ottawa

Hi guys was hoping you could help me out. I just moved to Ottawa and am already thinking about next Leaf season. I would like to know how to watch all 82 Leafs games on my TV next season. This is what I know (please correct me if I'm wrong):

TSN - should have no problem getting these as Leaf games are broadcasted nationally

CBC - Again, no problem (except I believe sometimes they will show Sens games sat night?)

Leafs TV - If I subscribe to Leafs TV, there is no blackout correct?

Sportsnet - I believe all of these will be blacked out.

If I get all of the above channels plus NHL Centre Ice, will this allow me to watch all 82 games?

Thanks your response will be much appreciated.

Gillumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Just get NHL centre ice and you'll be good for every game.

Sportsnet Ontario won't show the games and you can't get Leafs tv.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillumin View Post
Hi guys was hoping you could help me out. I just moved to Ottawa and am already thinking about next Leaf season. I would like to know how to watch all 82 Leafs games on my TV next season. This is what I know (please correct me if I'm wrong):

TSN - should have no problem getting these as Leaf games are broadcasted nationally

CBC - Again, no problem (except I believe sometimes they will show Sens games sat night?)

If I get all of the above channels plus NHL Centre Ice, will this allow me to watch all 82 games?

WHY?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Gillumin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafer97 View Post
WHY?
For a job, lol.

Thanks LC for the info. I feel better now, I typically only miss a handful of games per year.

Gillumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:23 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:

oh lord, you moved to Ottawa for a job. ... Ottawa is boring, Toronto there is A LOT more things to do.

I'm sure you could find the same job or better here in Toronto. See if you can get a transfer back to Toronto with the same company for the start of Oct.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:

You don't get LeafsTV here in the Ottawa Valley. No Sportsnet, and about 50% of Saturday night games on CBC will be Ottawa games.

However, there are other options:

If you get a Rogers box, then you can find the Leaf games on CBCs other channels, no problem. In fact, 90% will even be in HD.

Also, if you have family (parents/siblings) that live in Ontario, and outside the Ottawa region, and they subscribe to LeafsTV with Rogers, then you can get an online account setup where it lets you watch Sportsnet Ontario and LeafsTV games anywhere you go in the country, including the Ottawa region on your laptop or desktop. Obviously it's not on TV, but you can hook it up to your TV if you have an HDMI cable, and the streams are sooo much more clear than the ones that are passed around on here.

The only other options are Center Ice, NHL Gamecenter (via Xbox, PS3, and/or online), or the MLSE applet on Xbox (you have to pay money for each game you watch, though).

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:33 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
I just moved to Ottawa
You just ruined your life Dullest city I've ever been too.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I went to school in Ottawa years ago and it was pretty hurting for Leafs coverage. You can only depend on CBC and nationally televised TSN. Streaming seems the way to go, or pay for NHL center ice.

Not all that bad, beating Ottawa in the playoffs 2 years in a row living there was priceless.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
DIrwin

Guys I may be wrong but I live here in Ottawa as well (for school) and even NHL Centre Ice black outs the Leaf games. I had considered purchasing it but a few of my leaf friends told me not to due to the blackouts. I'd definitely check up on that, I didn't want to risk $200 if I wasn't even going to get to watch my team play.

DIrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:08 AM
MSteve

^^ This is what I thought too.

I get by with TSN national games, CBC (Rogers only has Ottawa and Vancouver in HD, the Vancouver feed is usually the Leafs. I think with Bell you can get all the CBC's in HD)., Sportsnet has the occasional game as long as the Sens arn't playing. But this is maybe 30 games or so.

MSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:

As someone who has lived in TO and Ottawa, you just made a big mistake . Ottawa is probably the dullest city maybe ever.

Anyways, to answer your question, NHL Centre Ice will give you MOST games on channels 451 (SD) and 491 (HD). Near the end of the season, the games weren't offered in HD, and some were blacked out. I'd suggest streaming games if you can.

Seriously though, OTTAWA?!?!?!?!?

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I went to school in Ottawa years ago and it was pretty hurting for Leafs coverage. You can only depend on CBC and nationally televised TSN. Streaming seems the way to go, or pay for NHL center ice.

Not all that bad, beating Ottawa in the playoffs 2 years in a row living there was priceless.
I was there from the inception of the Senators, but left before we met
in the playoffs. I don't think its that bad a city.

For coverage....streaming is the only way.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
caribouPINE

I live in Ottawa and have purchased Centre Ice every year since 2002... haven't really missed any games.

Just buy Center Ice, it's well worth it.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 11:36 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIrwin View Post
Guys I may be wrong but I live here in Ottawa as well (for school) and even NHL Centre Ice black outs the Leaf games. I had considered purchasing it but a few of my leaf friends told me not to due to the blackouts. I'd definitely check up on that, I didn't want to risk $200 if I wasn't even going to get to watch my team play.
Are your Leaf buddy's ill?

I've bought it every single year since 2002 and I can watch the Leafs any time I want. I can't even recall 1 single blackout. If it's not on Center Ice than it's on CBC or TSN for example.

I haven't missed a Leaf game in yearssss

Old
04-24-2012, 12:07 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Are your Leaf buddy's ill?

I've bought it every single year since 2002 and I can watch the Leafs any time I want. I can't even recall 1 single blackout. If it's not on Center Ice than it's on CBC or TSN for example.

I haven't missed a Leaf game in yearssss
its cause they black out local coverage'd games. So if you are in Toronto you have to wait 48 hours after Toronto games to watch them. Same probably goes for all same-city coverage- they don't have rights to trump the local broadcasters

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
I had it for years in Ottawa. They don't black out any of the games except for when it was a Leafs-Sens pay-per-view(dumbest thing ever).

If its televised locally, then its blacked out because you get it on TSN/CBC/Sportnet. If it isn't televised locally, then they show it.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Transplanted Caper

Centre ice will give you everything you need. Crappy part: You get Senators coverage when Ottawa plays Toronto on Sportsnet.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:24 PM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
its cause they black out local coverage'd games. So if you are in Toronto you have to wait 48 hours after Toronto games to watch them. Same probably goes for all same-city coverage- they don't have rights to trump the local broadcasters
huh?

I live in Ottawa. I get Center Ice every single year. I do not miss any Leaf games. They are played live. If its not on Center Ice then that means it is on CBC or TSN.

I am not sure at all what is being missed here?

Old
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
stish

Get a Bell dish set up in your name, and cell #, at a friend's house in Leafs viewing area. Set up credit card payments under your name. When you move take the dish with you. It's pretty easy to set up by yourself. You can now do everything regarding your account on line so they will never know where you are located(If you make your payments, they really don't care to check. This is coming from someone who has"lived" in Kingston for 13 years, but is actually just west of Pittsburgh.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:57 PM
KINgGh0sT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
You don't get LeafsTV here in the Ottawa Valley. No Sportsnet, and about 50% of Saturday night games on CBC will be Ottawa games.

However, there are other options:

If you get a Rogers box, then you can find the Leaf games on CBCs other channels, no problem. In fact, 90% will even be in HD.

Also, if you have family (parents/siblings) that live in Ontario, and outside the Ottawa region, and they subscribe to LeafsTV with Rogers, then you can get an online account setup where it lets you watch Sportsnet Ontario and LeafsTV games anywhere you go in the country, including the Ottawa region on your laptop or desktop. Obviously it's not on TV, but you can hook it up to your TV if you have an HDMI cable, and the streams are sooo much more clear than the ones that are passed around on here.

The only other options are Center Ice, NHL Gamecenter (via Xbox, PS3, and/or online), or the MLSE applet on Xbox (you have to pay money for each game you watch, though).
Not entirely true, you can get Leafs TV in Pembroke and Cornwall...or any other town that doesn't have Rogers. Also I believe my friend in Cornwall said he can watch Leafs on SN unless Sens are playing. But in Ottawa you can't get any Leafs SN games.

CBC will show Leafs games even if the Sens are playing, thank god for that. You can get them OTA as well.

But you best bet is kinda illegal, that would be get a friend in the TO region that has Bell, rent a box off them, pay half their bill and put up a dish. It's what I do. Either that or do what the above poster said get someone that has Rogers Cable account that can get Leafs TV and will not use their Rogers on Demand Online. Use their account info and watch their SN Games on there. I do that using my parents account when I am not home.

Quote:
This may be true for Centre Ice via Bell or Rogers. But for Centre Ice Online only time they get blacked out is if they are on CBC or TSN. Only other problem I had during their two week trial was my IP (Teksavvy) routes my IP via Chatham so it looks like I am in GTA. A simple call to them two mins late they override that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
They used to charge for every game when the app launched, but I tried it two months before the season ended and I think it was 6.899 or 7.99 for the Month.. for the whole two leafs games that was on Leafs TV.

Last edited by KINgGh0sT: 04-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
KINgGh0sT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Go GameCentre Live which goes through your computer or Centre Ice which goes through your television.

Personally, I go GameCentre Live cause every single NHL game is PVR'd and I can watch them at a later date if I miss the game live. You can also watch whichever set of announcers you choose. For example the NY Rangers announcers are very good, so every time the Leafs play the Rangers, I watch the Rangers feed rather than Bowen and company on Sportsnet with Boston Pizza ads every whistle.

You can't go wrong with either though.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
30Rinks
Go To A Leafs Game @

Don't waste your money on Hockeystreams - it was terrible for me for leafs games. They always would say "it's your connection, your computer, etc" - but I tried it on 4 different connections over three computers, and always leafs games would buffer like crazy. I'm pretty sure it is due to how many people are trying to watch them.

I could watch say PHX - STL with no issues at all, but the leafs game would be unbearable.

It's cheaper, but its frustrating as hell. Another way to do it is to have a buddy register a rogersondemand account (if he has sportsnet) and then you watch the games on there, as they had free streaming of a number of games. All TSN games wednesday nights are streamed, and all HNIC games are streamed - this leaves just a couple that are missed, which you could go to a bar or get a stream online for.

(That's the cheapest way)

for the record, my connection is 25/1

30Rinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
stish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
Get a Bell dish set up in your name, and cell #, at a friend's house in Leafs viewing area. Set up credit card payments under your name. When you move take the dish with you. It's pretty easy to set up by yourself. You can now do everything regarding your account on line so they will never know where you are located(If you make your payments, they really don't care to check. This is coming from someone who has"lived" in Kingston for 13 years, but is actually just west of Pittsburgh.
I don't think I've ever quoted myself before, haha. If you know someone in Kingston and do the above you can get LeafsTV, plus you get all of the Senators and Habs games as well. No blackouts for those games on Bell.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:17 PM
r3v07ut10n

Every year i order Rogers super sports pack in Oct and cancel it in Mar LMAO. Its like $35 month. I dont even think i missed a game this year between, cbc/tsn/Snet and center ice.
Super sports pack is worth it if you watch football/baseball/ohl/nascar/hockey/basketball.
^ to above user same goes with rogers... If someone owns a box, register it under a friends account with center ice and voila... free channels.

r3v07ut10n is offline   Reply With Quote