HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo To Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 10:47 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Can't believe the amount of people defending Luongo and actually wanting him in this thread.

His own team doesn't believe in him, he's not even playing tonight! Why would we want that? The pressure in Toronto is 10x that in Vancouver, he would absolutely CRUMBLE here as soon as any scrutiny arose.
Dude, not for nothing, but Schneider is a VERY good young goalie. It's not like they've yanked him for a Gustavsson-like netminder. It's time for the Nucks to use that money saved from Lu's salary for a legit top 6 with size (Mason Raymond, are they for real??) or a #1 D if possible and hand those reigns over to Schneider. He's ready.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Can't believe the amount of people defending Luongo and actually wanting him in this thread.

His own team doesn't believe in him, he's not even playing tonight! Why would we want that? The pressure in Toronto is 10x that in Vancouver, he would absolutely CRUMBLE here as soon as any scrutiny arose.
That's just so incorrect.

How can a team who's expected to compete for a cup have less pressure than here?

Maybe if we get to that position then there will be more, But we have to get to that bridge before we can cross it.

Anyone who's actually watched Vancouver this season they'll tell you Luongo hasn't been the problem there.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Loser in game 7 of the finals versus losers in february...
Not to worry..the Leafs will never get anywhere close to game 7 of the Cup final with Looooooooooooooooooooo in net.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
The fact that LACK are all gone in 2 years makes me even more comfortable taking on a contract like this. Kipper is a great goalie, but we're more than 2 years away from being a serious contender, so I don't see any long term benefit in signing him, and don't feel that he would bring us any closer to our goal of winning the Stanley Cup.

I guess the difference between us is that I believe Luongo is a premier goaltender with alot of gas in the tank still. I also believe that 5.6 mil/per is a very reasonable price for a franchise goalie.
I dont believe Luongo is a franchise goalie. Hes riding pine in the msot important game of the year for Vancouver. Why is that? Do team and management have that little confidence in him?

IMO he cant perform in pressure situations and they know it.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:

Since you seem so high and mighty what do you suggest we do? Overpay for Kipper? Sign Harding? Go with Reimer and Scrivens? Why do I get the feeling the people whining about trading for Luongo are the same ones that will whine when we may go into the season with Reimer and Biron?

I'm not for overpaying for him but Luongo is still a better option then anything else on the table right now.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Maybe having back to back Hart Trophy nominees helped? You can't be implying that Luongo is the reason for Vancouver's success? They actually win more when the other guy plays. But yeah thanks.
Of course it helped. As much as a franchise goalie who played 60 games last year and 55 this year, earning 38 regular season wins, a stingey 2.11 GAA and a .928 SV%, followed by a 2.41 GAA and a .919 SV% with 31 wins. In the playoffs last year he won 15 of 25 games with a very solid 2.56/ .912.

When was the last time you could say that about a Leaf goalie...and you're welcome

Old
04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Not to worry..the Leafs will never get anywhere close to game 7 of the Cup final with Looooooooooooooooooooo in net.
Could he be ANY worse than Goofstavson, at least during the regular season in order to make the playoffs?

Old
04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
Since you seem so high and mighty what do you suggest we do? Overpay for Kipper? Sign Harding? Go with Reimer and Scrivens? Why do I get the feeling the people whining about trading for Luongo are the same ones that will whine when we may go into the season with Reimer and Biron?

I'm not for overpaying for him but Luongo is still a better option then anything else on the table right now.
I wont whine if we go into the season with Reimer and Scrivens (feel free to bring this up then). I think Reims has a lot potential, but got caught in the perfect **** storm this past season. I think Burke should try and acquire veteran help on a mid length deal (2-3 years), but I wont be crushed if he doesnt.

I will whine, gnash my teeth, panty twist, and probably curse quite a lot if we acquire Luongo.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I dont believe Luongo is a franchise goalie. Hes riding pine in the msot important game of the year for Vancouver. Why is that? Do team and management have that little confidence in him?

He's fallen out of favor with the team and the city. Roy did the same in MTL and he was a tremendous goalie.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:54 PM
binop7

Quote:
I wont whine if we go into the season with Reimer and Scrivens (feel free to bring this up then). I think Reims has a lot potential, but got caught in the perfect **** storm this past season. I think Burke should try and acquire veteran help on a mid length deal (2-3 years), but I wont be crushed if he doesnt.

I will whine, gnash my teeth, panty twist, and probably curse quite a lot if we acquire Luongo.
If we roll with Reim/Scrivens at least we'd have MacKinnon to look forward to.

Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
He's fallen out of favor with the team and the city. Roy did the same in MTL and he was a tremendous goalie.
Roy proved a lot before he left.

Old
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Hes 33, currently sitting in the most important game of the season for his team. Whats he going to look like in 5 years? 8? 10?

I dont think "led his team to the finals" is really all that accurate.
15 wins in 25 games, 2.56 GAA. The finals went to 7 games. He held a pretty flaccid, gutless team in there.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:55 PM
ponder

I'd be down. He's a very good goalie, and I think he'd come pretty cheap in a trade. I'm starting to believe that they will indeed keep Schnieder and trade Luongo, too. Not sure if we have the right pieces though, I have to think the ideal trade would be Luongo for a vet who would help Vancouver. I could see Liles be the main piece going back, actually, as I think Vancouver has really suffered from losing Ehrhoff's puck moving/offense, and Liles could be a good replacement.

Luongo has had trouble in Van not because he's played poorly, he's been good, Schneider has just been a touch better. I honestly think Schneider is an elite goalie, literally one of the top goalies in the league, and I think Luongo is just a bit behind. Living in Vancouver I watch a tonne of Nucks games, Schneider really is that good, and Luongo is quite good too.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

He has been by far their best player thus far this season. I don't know what half of you are watching but people are turning on him for busting in game 7 of the stanley cup finals. Lets put this into perspective for everyone who believes he busts under pressure.

Was the go to guy in the olympics after both Fluery and Broduer failed. Went on to play great and won gold!

Playoff Stats

Career Save% - .916%
GAA - 2.53

Some compareables

Henrik Lundqvist

Career Save% - .920%
GAA - 2.27

Tim Thomas

Career Save% - .921%
GAA - 2.48

Pekka Rinne

Career Save% - .915%
GAA - 2.50

Regarded as the best 3 Goalies in the league, all have been have been marginally better over their career.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:

I don't think anyone outside of the Canucks organizations really knows why Luongo is on the bench tonight, but I can think of a variety of reasons. It's possible that the change in goal was made to ignite the team which has looked less than spectacular in front of Loo to this point.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess, but I think Burke will be hard pressed to find as talented a goalie (on what many consider to be a reasonable caphit) at any point between now and whenever Luongo may retire.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
He has been by far their best player thus far this season. I don't know what half of you are watching but people are turning on him for busting in game 7 of the stanley cup finals. Lets put this into perspective for everyone who believes he busts under pressure.

Was the go to guy in the olympics after both Fluery and Broduer failed. Went on to play great and won gold!

Playoff Stats

Career Save% - .916%
GAA - 2.53

Some compareables

Henrik Lundqvist

Career Save% - .920%
GAA - 2.27

Tim Thomas

Career Save% - .921%
GAA - 2.48

Pekka Rinne

Career Save% - .915%
GAA - 2.50

Regarded as the best 3 Goalies in the league, all have been have been marginally better over their career.
Meant to say Series not season

Old
04-18-2012, 10:58 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Burke has been astute to the fact the CBA is going to expire this year and these contracts may no longer be tolerated and difficult to manage. I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring Luongo but it is hard to imagine his value being considerably high & I doubt there are many takers, although the Leafs could afford to take the chance. I'd offer Franson + Armstrong or Komisarek + 2013 2nd round pick

Old
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'd be down. He's a very good goalie, and I think he'd come pretty cheap in a trade. I'm starting to believe that they will indeed keep Schnieder and trade Luongo, too. Not sure if we have the right pieces though, I have to think the ideal trade would be Luongo for a vet who would help Vancouver. I could see Liles be the main piece going back, actually, as I think Vancouver has really suffered from losing Ehrhoff's puck moving/offense, and Liles could be a good replacement.
good call...maybe a bit of grit (who also doubles as a china doll) the enigmatic Colby Armstrong. Wed have to eat some cap to make that fly, but stranger has happened. Liles...I like it...

Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
binop7

Quote:
Roy proved a lot before he left.
Luongo has broken so many records with Vancouver.

GAA
SV %
All time Wins
All time P.O wins
All time P.O saves
2 shutouts in the finals last goalie to do this was

Luongo joined Frank McCool as the only goalie to have two 1–0 shutouts in the Stanley Cup Final; McCool's victories came 66 years earlier in 1945.[43][44]

The guy is a tremendous goalie and gets way too much flack

Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Suntouchable13

Burke will go against his own code if he goes after Luongo. 10 years left on his deal.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
it doesn't seem like we'll get anywhere close to the playoffs anytime soon so i'm not sure that is much of a statement

Old
04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Burke will go against his own code if he goes after Luongo. 10 years left on his deal.
He perused Richie and Carter both have similar retirement contracts.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post

I would rather go into the season with Reimer and Scrivens than rely on Luongo. Because I don't care for just making the playoffs, I want my team to win the stanley cup, which I don't see likely with Luongo as the goalie for any team.

I see it the more likely scenario that he comes in here, gets off to a rough start, and the wheels completely fall off once the media gets on him, leaving the Leafs with a guy that's signed until 2024 for over $5 mil per. You guys think LACK is bad now, good luck getting rid of him then...

Old
04-18-2012, 11:04 PM
binop7

Quote:
I would rather go into the season with Reimer and Scrivens than rely on Luongo. Because I don't care for just making the playoffs, I want my team to win the stanley cup, which I don't see likely with Luongo as the goalie for any team.

I see it the more likely scenario that he comes in here, gets off to a rough start, and the wheels completely fall off once the media gets on him, leaving the Leafs with a guy that's signed until 2024 for over $5 mil per. You guys think LACK is bad now, good luck getting rid of him then...
Burke, is that you?

Old
04-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:

And you're confident this team makes the playoffs in front of Reimer and Scrivens?

Closed Thread