HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako Skates

Old
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Tundra

vCash: 500
Easton Mako Skates

Apparently, these highly moldable skates are an offshoot of MLX speedskating technology with a few wrinkles. The pitch of the boot is very aggressive and the cantilevered tendon guard allows a wide range of motion. Has anyone purchased these? Do they live up to the billing?

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Apparently, these highly moldable skates are an offshoot of MLX speedskating technology with a few wrinkles. The pitch of the boot is very aggressive and the cantilevered tendon guard allows a wide range of motion. Has anyone purchased these? Do they live up to the billing?
I have a pair. For me there has a been a fairly decent learning curve/adjustment period. The main issue is I had to have the right boot stretched a ton around the toe as it was killing my foot. The pronounced pitch is also differant than what I'm used to (coming from Nike Flexlite 12s). You have to change your stance a bit to maximize their potential. I do like the weight and fit through (now that their have been adjusted). Honestly, probably too much skate for a player of my ability but I was in the market for a new pair, had some money to burn, etc.....

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 05-08-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I have a pair. For me there has a been a fairly decent learning curve/adjustment period. The main issue is I had to have the right boot stretched a ton around tje as it was killing my foot. The pronounced pitch is also differant than what I'm used to (coming from Nike Flexlite 12s). You have to change you stance a bit to maximize their potential. I do like the weight and fit through (now that their have been adjusted). Honestly, probably too much skate for a player of my ability but I was in the market for a new pair, had some money to burn, etc.....
I heard the turning radius is impeccable with these skates as well as the fit. I may look into these if they drop to around $500.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:04 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Hmmm...sounds interesting. I came to hockey after doing speed skating for several years, so I'd be interested in seeing what sort of similarities there are to speed skates. My hockey skates are low end, but I was using $600 speed skates. So I'm curious about the quality, and how comparable they are.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
AIREAYE

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...n-mako-skates/

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Frankie Spankie

They look pretty similar to the MLX skates. I would hope they made the skates more durable. My MLX skates broke down pretty quickly although I thought they were great while they lasted. I wouldn't pay full price for them but definitely a good pair of skates. When I went to the store to pick out new skates, the guy who was helping me asked me what my old pair of skates were and we were talking about the MLX skates. He was telling me he knew a couple guys with them too and they all said the same thing, they break down quick. Take it for what it's worth, I would certainly hope Easton improved the durability on them, but that seems to be the main problem with them. Wish it wasn't, I'd still love to be using them.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
shoeshine boy

I've had my MLX for 2 years skating 2 to 3 times a week and mine are still in great shape. I've lost a bolt here and there but that's it.
some people are just harder on their gear than others.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
phileeeeeeep

I just picked these up. Didn't want to spend that much but got a deal I couldn't refuse haha. I've skated on them twice and they are everything they are advertised to be. Like Rabid Ranger said, there has been a little learning curve on them though. First time on the ice wasn't pretty but the second time I went out I definitely noticed increases in my stride, speed and turning. My last skates were an old pair of Bauer Vapors and the Mako feels like feathers compared to them. I definitely would recommend these skates!

phileeeeeeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
str8shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileeeeeeep View Post
I just picked these up. Didn't want to spend that much but got a deal I couldn't refuse haha. I've skated on them twice and they are everything they are advertised to be. Like Rabid Ranger said, there has been a little learning curve on them though. First time on the ice wasn't pretty but the second time I went out I definitely noticed increases in my stride, speed and turning. My last skates were an old pair of Bauer Vapors and the Mako feels like feathers compared to them. I definitely would recommend these skates!
They actually are not the lightest on the market. However, I find some of what Easton did pretty inventive. It's a one piece bootform, and does not have a separate composite outsole, as virtually all other skates do. What I most want to hear is an unbiased review from someone who has used either the APX2 or NXG for an extended period of time and then switched to the Mako as a comparator. My hunch is the traditional skates would win but the real answer is probably the ideal fitting skate will produce the best result.

str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
you probably got the same "deal" that I did. WAY too good to refuse and I know CCM did a similar deal with their newest skate.
I haven't been able to meet with my Easton rep to get my Makos yet. hopefuly tonight.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM
phileeeeeeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
you probably got the same "deal" that I did. WAY too good to refuse and I know CCM did a similar deal with their newest skate.
I haven't been able to meet with my Easton rep to get my Makos yet. hopefuly tonight.
I sat there and wondered for a long time why there were price tags on every skate but the Mako's

Old
05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Malarowski

Maybe you guys want to elaborate on that "deal" you got?

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:26 PM
shoeshine boy

Easton was running a deal through the reps for Mako skates + Mako II stick for $250. you could also just do the skates for $200. I think it was supposed to be for shop employees.
CCM did a similar deal on their newest skate as well.
edit: and sorry, but I can't hook you up.

Old
05-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Malarowski

That's a pretty good deal.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
A guy on my team got that deal as well. I thought the tendon guard was interesting, seemed flimsy and like it would break off easily but you can just unscrew it and bolt another one back on.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2013, 10:31 AM
phileeeeeeep

I didnt get that deal, I paid about 530 for mine.

A little Mako tidbit: I found out on friday that the padding around the ankle is not as thick as I originally thought it to be. Took a pass off the ankle and it left me with a nice stinger, no bruise or anything. Definetly something to keep in mind. Other than that everytime I'm on the ice I'm noticing a huge improvement in my skating abilities.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:42 AM
phileeeeeeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
A guy on my team got that deal as well. I thought the tendon guard was interesting, seemed flimsy and like it would break off easily but you can just unscrew it and bolt another one back on.
The tendon guard is supposed to be "flimsy" to allow a more natural foot movement.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
The tendon guard is supposed to be "flimsy" to allow a more natural foot movement.
I know, it just doesn't seem like something that will stick around, kind of a gimmick. I'd like to know from people who have bought the skates if they notice the tendon guards doing anything special when they play.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:27 PM
chrisg19

Quote:
I know, it just doesn't seem like something that will stick around, kind of a gimmick. I'd like to know from people who have bought the skates if they notice the tendon guards doing anything special when they play.
You know it is not so noticeable when you get into the Makos, feels different, but not a big deal. The big difference is when you put on a different skate after having skated in the Makos for awhile.

I have worn my MLX skates for two years, and now the Makos. A few months back I picked up a pair ccm CL's for coaching, and I could not believe how stiff the tendon guard was, and how much it limited range of motion. It really hurt the turning radius I was able to achieve with the MLX, and Makos. That is where you notice it, when the range of motion you had is taken away.

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:36 AM
Tundra

Other than Ebay what are the cheapest I can expect to pay for these?? I know the manufacturers demand that the price stays at the initial price for awhile.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
jsykes

If you buy them from any company that does any kind of advertising, then you'll have to pay the MAP (minimum advertised price) of $800 as Easton and other companies control the pricing to protect large stores with huge buying power from undercutting the smaller places that need to make the full margins.

If you can find an LHS that does not have an online presence, or take out major advertisements, they have the ability to sell less than MAP if they want to. Short of a private party sale, that is the best way to get a lower price.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Tundra

So these skates expand abit after being heat molded? I usually wear 10.5 D derived from a 12 shoe, but from what I read some folks are dropping down 2 whole sizes with the Makos.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Tundra

Just got size 10Ds on Ebay for less than 500. Pretty happy.

Old
07-08-2013, 10:22 AM
roffleburger

Quote:
Take my word for it, it's not a gimmick and other skate brands will be emulating/already have a more flexible tendon guard in production.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Not to derail the thread, but all I can think of when is see this is every Devils fan when they heard the 'retirement' news.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote