HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Probability of broken runner?

Old
03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Probability of broken runner?

I'm going to a weekend tournament in April. I have RBZ skates which I like very much but will probably replace for the next season. I've never broken a blade and never heard about it untill I started playing in the US where 2 of my team mates have broken runners.

Is it worth buying a spare set they are getting harder to find and are either on clearance or sold out so now seems to be the time before the tournament.

Do runnners break often?
My current steel definitely has a year more of life, in my opinion.
In my case do you think it is worth buying a pair of speedblades cost is about 80USD shipped.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Goonzilla
Welcome to my house!

I think they might be something worth having if you're travelling away and the cost is no big deal, but unless they're quick change out ones like the Bauer system, not sure how much use they might be mid game or at short notice.

I've thought about buying spare steel but decided against it. I just keep old skates so always have a couple of spare pairs with life left in them. If I was travelling to play in a tournament, I'd be more inclined to take a spare or back up pair of skates with me.

Goonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 03:27 PM
jazzykat

They change out with 2 screws... I can definitely do the whole process (take skate off, replace blade, put skate back on) in about 15 min, so no big deal if I miss a period.

I left my old skates where I'm moving back to, so this is very situational.

Old
03-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Bort Sampson

I have the top-end RBZ and have broken about four blades in the two years I've been using them. The last time I broke a blade, it was so close to the purchase date that they were still under warranty.

I'd definitely stock up if I were you. I keep an extra set in my car. They're very easy to change out.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Elias Pettersson
165lbs

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
I have the top-end RBZ and have broken about four blades in the two years I've been using them. The last time I broke a blade, it was so close to the purchase date that they were still under warranty.

I'd definitely stock up if I were you. I keep an extra set in my car. They're very easy to change out.
I'm kinda new to changing runners, but can you use the CCM black runners for the RBZ skates as long as it's the right size? Or do you have to use the same runners the skates come with?

Elias Pettersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
I'm kinda new to changing runners, but can you use the CCM black runners for the RBZ skates as long as it's the right size? Or do you have to use the same runners the skates come with?
There's someone here who probably has the correct answer for this, but from my experience, you just need the correct size blade for CCM skates.

I've bought two sets of replacement blades, and only one was the type that came with my skates (mirror-finish). My current sets are more matte steel. I've never seen the black blades, but they sound pretty baller.

Most blades have warranties, so definitely keep the receipt.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Elias Pettersson
165lbs

vCash: 1390
Quote:
There's someone here who probably has the correct answer for this, but from my experience, you just need the correct size blade for CCM skates.

I've bought two sets of replacement blades, and only one was the type that came with my skates (mirror-finish). My current sets are more matte steel. I've never seen the black blades, but they sound pretty baller.

how long are the warrantees usually?

Elias Pettersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 09:46 PM
puckpilot

I've broken runners on lots of different skates. I find there's two factors involved, how much blade you have left and just plain luck.

I play the puck a lot with my feet, so last time I broke a runner was because I used my skate to catch a hard pass that was off target. I caught it all right, but my runner split down the middle. Another time I caught a shot in the blade and same thing.

Both instances the runners were nearing the end of their life. My guess was there wasn't enough steel left to resist the impact when it hit a sweet spot.

In other instances where I broke the runners was IMHO because of those stupid runners with the gaps at the top that were supposed to make the steel more flexable/lighter. Anyways I broke every single one of those.

Any way, if money isn't too much of an obstacle, it might be worth buying spares if not for anything else but for some peace of mind. Think about worst case scenario and if you do break a runner. How much is it worth to you to be able to stay in the game/tournament? How much of a hassle will it be to track down new ones on the fly? Do you have other options like an old pair of skates that you can bring along in case of emergency?

I guess it kind of boils down to is this question. Is that money spent on runners that you may never use worth it in order to insure a relatively smooth time at the tournament?

puckpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 10:08 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
how long are the warrantees usually?
http://ccmhockey.com/en/warranty

1 year

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2017, 10:09 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

Yes, as long as it's Speedblade (i.e. the same as the holder, not the brand. Older model CCM skates pre-RBZ used the E Pro holder)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2017, 10:58 PM
jazzykat

One last question. It seems that all the CCM skates that are out now use the SB +4 runners. Does anyone know if CCM is planning to change the runner in their next skate release so that that these will not be made anymore?