HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Diaphragm spasm

Old
12-08-2014, 03:51 AM
American in Paris

vCash: 500
Diaphragm spasm

AKA getting the wind knocked out of you...

Last night the biggest strongest guy on our team collided with me at speed, shoulder to gut. He was crouching trying to control a dancing puck just out of his reach and I was trying to poke it away. I guess he had to adjust his position for balance or something and moved at the last second. I didn't see it coming so all of my abdominal muscles were unprepared for the hit.

I immediately fell to the ice and laid on my back literally paralyzed. There was a strange involuntary moaning sound coming from my mouth. My diaphragm was involuntarily pulsating making it impossible to breathe. My teammates were all kneeling over me with horrified expressions on their faces. They asked if I was OK, but I couldn't respond. That went on for about 2 minutes. Finally it stopped and I was able to start breathing again.

Sat on the bench for about 5 minutes recovering then went back out on the ice for the rest of the game.

Most painful thing I've ever experienced on the ice.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
intangible

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...en-pain/winded

Pretty scary stuff, especially if you're conscious while experiencing it.

Back in college a teammate of mine ran into an opposing forward and got knocked down HARD. When I got over there he was unconscious and going through what's called agonal breathing. At the time I was the only one out there with any training, and all I had was lifeguard training, which isn't particularly extensive. Immediately I told someone to call 911, and then was trying to figure out if I should stabilize his head, as he was laid sideways, but I didn't want to move him in case there was damage. Laid him down flat and stabilized his head, but didn't remove his helmet. As I was about to do chest compressions (my wife, a nurse, said I probably should've tried a sternal rub) in full goalie gear mind you, he came to, fortunately. Definitely out of it, and it was hard to get him to lay back down. Ambulance came, carted him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with a concussion but that was it, fortunately. Ended up coming back to the rink some hours later to watch another game. Scary stuff.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 05:22 PM
damack

I've had the wind knocked out of me before (not hockey) it was pretty much the scariest thing I can recall going through. Totally conscious, not able to breath, not knowing what was going on, on the edge of panicking. Trying to pull a breath in but feels like someone put a plastic bag over your face. It took a few seconds that felt like minutes before I was able to suck in a breath. Real scary experience.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2014, 06:38 PM
TieClark

It's a lot better if you stay calm... I've had the wind knocked out of me several times growing up but it's a lot easier once you realize it's normal and just stay calm

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

I had a similar experience a few years ago, I was 14.

Playing ball hockey, opposing forward goes on a 2 on 1. I back check as hard as I can and I try to poke check him from behind. Unfortunately, he stepped onto my blade, making it stand straight up like when you step onto a rake.

I impaled myself with my own stick in the stomach. Couldn't breathe for a minute. It left a nasty bruise too.
My friends said my face was all red and I made the choking sign to make them understand what was happening.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2014, 12:09 PM
mattkaminski15

When I was 9 I was playing football and got takled by a "double striper" which meant they were young enough to play against me, but big, er, fat enough, to play the older guys. Anyway he takled me onto the ball and man did it suck laying there not able to breathe. Felt like minutes but it was barely 40 seconds.

mattkaminski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's a lot better if you stay calm... I've had the wind knocked out of me several times growing up but it's a lot easier once you realize it's normal and just stay calm
Same here. One trick I learned was that I could breath out, though barely, and upon relaxing a little air would return to the lungs.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote