HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slashing or legal play?

Old
04-30-2015, 09:30 AM
Reilly

vCash: 500
Slashing or legal play?

I need advice on whether the following is a legal play.

Imagine the puck carrier is entering the offensive zone on a break away. The defender is a half-step behind and has inside position. The defender cannot reach the puck. Can the defender swing his stick horizontally so that the blade of his stick strikes the side of the offensive player's stick (say, half-way down the stick) so that the puck carrier momentarily loses control of the puck? Assume that the defender's stick does not touch the offensive player's body, only his stick, and only from the side (no downward chopping motion).

Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Ozz

You'd be best to shorten the swipe of your stick so it's more of a knock against his rather than a wide-planed motion/slash. I'd expect a slashing call to be made every time if you have too much travel motion in your movement.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
I need advice on whether the following is a legal play.

Imagine the puck carrier is entering the offensive zone on a break away. The defender is a half-step behind and has inside position. The defender cannot reach the puck. Can the defender swing his stick horizontally so that the blade of his stick strikes the side of the offensive player's stick (say, half-way down the stick) so that the puck carrier momentarily loses control of the puck? Assume that the defender's stick does not touch the offensive player's body, only his stick, and only from the side (no downward chopping motion).
That's a legal play IMO. You have the right to push a player's stick away from the puck. However, the best thing to do here is lift the guy's stick or a diving poke check.

19Backstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 02:42 PM
mattkaminski15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Backstrom View Post
However, the best thing to do here is lift the guy's stick or a diving poke check.
do this. instead of swinging from the side why don't ou swing up so it lifts his stick. just be careful not to get caught on the body and get a hooking call

mattkaminski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 03:40 PM
doobie604

Stick lifts your best bet, any swings even if it's all stick the ref might call it. Basically anything that you need to question if it'll be called or not, might get called even if 90% of people think it's legal.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 03:46 PM
andrewkelly
Rookie User

Personally I think it's a legal play, however everyone else here is right. If you can find another way to stop the player with something like a stick lift, you're probably safer. A referee might not see it the same way and really he's the only one that matters.

andrewkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 04:13 PM
tfong

That's a slash. Doesn't have to be a downward chop to be called a slash, any swinging motion basically can be called a slash.

Both my leagues call them as slashes if they see you not going for the puck and going for the stick instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashing_(ice_hockey)
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26353

Quote:
Slashing in ice hockey is a penalty called when an offending player swings their hockey stick at an opposing player, regardless of contact, or breaks an opposing player's stick with their own. Such a penalty may range from a minor penalty to a match penalty, depending on the seriousness of the injury to the opposing player.

Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.[1]

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Mattb124

I've done that 1/2 way up the shaft and been warned by the ref even though the impact very directly was timed to knock the puck away, not sure if USA Hockey rules are more strict than the NHL. I've never had a ref say anything when I slashed at the blade of an opposing player's stick when they puck was on the blade.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2015, 11:27 PM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
I've done that 1/2 way up the shaft and been warned by the ref even though the impact very directly was timed to knock the puck away, not sure if USA Hockey rules are more strict than the NHL. I've never had a ref say anything when I slashed at the blade of an opposing player's stick when they puck was on the blade.
This. Some rec players don't realize that NHL rules are different than the Hockey Canada or USA Hockey rules that we play with. I sometimes argue with my own team as I try to explain why they got a penalty, even though they'Re convinced it shouldn't be (most recent one was a high-stick on the follow through of a shot) not a penalty in NHL, but it is a penalty under Hockey Canada.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Primrose Everdeen
In Carey We Trust

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Ozz gives great advice, in my opinion.

If I'm judging penalty criteria on a breakaway and see that the defender is half a stride behind but tries to just stick lift/check without excessive force to wrestle control of the puck away, that's fine with me. Downward chop on the stick or a big backswing and a hack? Yeah, that's a slash. And if you're behind him, a penalty shot too.

BlueJazz, I didn't know that you can get called for a high stick on a follow through in Hockey Canada. As far as I know it's not a penalty in USA Hockey. Though, now that I typed that and double check it, rule 621 says absolutely nothing about follow throughs of shooting the puck specifically not being a penalty. Searching around it looks like it's only the NHL that specifically states that a "normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion" is not a penalty. Interesting. I specifically did not call a high stick a couple months ago because he was obviously winding up to take a slapshot. Guess I got it wrong.

05-01-2015, 08:51 AM
Reilly

Thanks everybody. I appreciate all of the advice.

Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2015, 06:43 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJazz View Post
This. Some rec players don't realize that NHL rules are different than the Hockey Canada or USA Hockey rules that we play with. I sometimes argue with my own team as I try to explain why they got a penalty, even though they'Re convinced it shouldn't be (most recent one was a high-stick on the follow through of a shot) not a penalty in NHL, but it is a penalty under Hockey Canada.
That rule is BS. If I take a high wrist shot, obviously my blade will be up in the air.

Old
05-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Ozz

Quote:
That rule is BS. If I take a high wrist shot, obviously my blade will be up in the air.
Had that happen to us last night, while we were already on a PK in the final 2 minutes and trying to close the gap Surprise: we did not win

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2015, 10:27 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Had that happen to us last night, while we were already on a PK in the final 2 minutes and trying to close the gap Surprise: we did not win
It's a horrible way to lose a game. It's like when you try to lift a guy's stick and you end up hitting him in the face because he removes it at the last second.

Old
05-02-2015, 08:43 PM
GoldenBearHockey

vCash: 475
Quote:
It's a horrible way to lose a game. It's like when you try to lift a guy's stick and you end up hitting him in the face because he removes it at the last second.
If you are trying to lift a guy's stick with that much force that if you miss and hit him, you deserve a penalty,

That's one of the reasons I don't play anymore, asinine plays like that. Why don't you take the extra two strides it requires and take the puck instead of lifting your stick up over your shoulder ffs...

Not you, but in general, it's an idiotic play that cuts people open.

GoldenBearHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2015, 08:58 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBearHockey View Post
If you are trying to lift a guy's stick with that much force that if you miss and hit him, you deserve a penalty,

That's one of the reasons I don't play anymore, asinine plays like that. Why don't you take the extra two strides it requires and take the puck instead of lifting your stick up over your shoulder ffs...

I'm not concerned with that since cages are mandatory in my league. I can't cut anyone's face if they have a cage.

Old
05-02-2015, 09:24 PM
GoldenBearHockey

Quote:
I'm not concerned with that since cages are mandatory in my league. I can't cut anyone's face if they have a cage.
You;d be surprised, I've seen it happen.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that it's a lazy play...to go that hard up on the stick.

Proper stick lift you have to keep skating and you pop it up and grab the puck, I've only seen that a handful of times done properly, everyone else lifts it above the shoulder etc..

Old
05-02-2015, 09:47 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
You;d be surprised, I've seen it happen.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that it's a lazy play...to go that hard up on the stick.

Proper stick lift you have to keep skating and you pop it up and grab the puck, I've only seen that a handful of times done properly, everyone else lifts it above the shoulder etc..
Everyone has lazy plays from time to time. If I'm far away, I'd rather push the guy's blade off the puck with a two handed poke check.

Old
05-03-2015, 01:37 PM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Then don't take a high wrist shot when there's someone in the path of your follow through. You are responsible for your stick at all times. There shouldn't be a situation where it's okay for you to smash someone in the face with your stick. Yes it's going to happen sometimes, so when it does take your lumps and sit in the box.

Old
05-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
You can still cut their chin and chip teeth if they have a cage. It just isn't a cool thing to do in rec league.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2015, 05:38 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJazz View Post
Then don't take a high wrist shot when there's someone in the path of your follow through. You are responsible for your stick at all times. There shouldn't be a situation where it's okay for you to smash someone in the face with your stick. Yes it's going to happen sometimes, so when it does take your lumps and sit in the box.
Is this for real ? I shouldn't shoot if someone goes down to try to block the shot because my stick might end up hitting him on the follow through ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
You can still cut their chin and chip teeth if they have a cage. It just isn't a cool thing to do in rec league.
The likelihood of that happening is about as much as taking the puck to the face which hurts a lot more. If it does happen, it is clearly not intentional.

Old
05-04-2015, 05:50 AM
GoldenBearHockey

Quote:
Is this for real ? I shouldn't shoot if someone goes down to try to block the shot because my stick might end up hitting him on the follow through ?

The likelihood of that happening is about as much as taking the puck to the face which hurts a lot more. If it does happen, it is clearly not intentional.
Yea, I don't care if it's intentional or not, it's intentionally a lazy play, which is why I stopped playing, absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it, and I have zero patience so if it happened to me, I would have retaliated in a major way,

Old
05-04-2015, 04:01 PM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Is this for real ? I shouldn't shoot if someone goes down to try to block the shot because my stick might end up hitting him on the follow through
Or you go ahead with the shot, and if you accidentally hit a guy in the face with your stick, you take the penalty. You seem to think it should only be a penalty if you intentionally smash someone in the face with your stick, most high-sticking penalties I call are accidental (and probably half the trips). Accidental or not, high-stick is a cut and dry call. Stick to the face? Go to the box.

Old
Yesterday, 03:00 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:

What kind of players are you playing with that they stick-lift people all the way up over the shoulder? I've seen that literally ONCE in my time playing... and the dude was known for his ridiculous stick-lifting methods.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:45 AM
GoldenBearHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
What kind of players are you playing with that they stick-lift people all the way up over the shoulder? I've seen that literally ONCE in my time playing... and the dude was known for his ridiculous stick-lifting methods.
It's not that they actually catch the stick and lift it, it's the force they put behind it, if they miss, they are cracking you in the head with their stick, it's an asinine move.