HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Madison Bowey vs. Shea Theodore

Old
01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

vCash: 500
Madison Bowey vs. Shea Theodore

Hey guys,

Two talented defenseman out of the WHL that both play in the Western Conference. Both are also ranked late 1st-early 2nd.

I've seen Bowey a few times and I like his game. He's a bit of a wild defenseman that plays with a ton of confidence. Not the best defender but he plays aggressive and has good size. He gets himself involved quite a bit on the offensive side. He is an all-around handful for opposing teams. 2 way defenseman that thrives in transition and is getting better every game. I have him in the 25-35 area.

In his two seasons in the dub,I have yet to see Theodore play.

Anyone who has seen both these guys live can feel free to compared contrast.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:27 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Bowey: Flashes of Doughty rushes, but reminds me a lot more of Liles with ability to deliver big hits. Gets lost defensively a lot, but has good skillset for the offensive game.

Theodore: Is harder to compare in NHL players, maybe a combination of Joni Pitkanen and Paul Martin. Shea has better frame to grow into, has bunch of Bowey's same set, but is better defensively than him. Probably one area to improve on is defensive positioning and decision making offensively.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I disagree about Bowey's defensive game. From my views, it was excellent. He isn't big or strong but he is able to quickly collect the puck and relieve the pressure from forecheckers with a quick play. That's his specialty in my opinion.

In fact, I question Bowey's offensive game. He makes quick decisions but isn't dynamic with the puck and doesn't have a huge selection of shots. At best, I imagine him being a #2 PP guy, not the #1 unit.

Theodore I simply love. Great offensive game, more of a puckrusher than anything else. Actually decent defensively, and has a big frame with alot of room to grow into.

Problem is, he is a high risk defenseman, and with any high risk player, comes high risk plays, and that backfires sometimes. He needs to polish up his decision making

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I disagree about Bowey's defensive game. From my views, it was excellent. He isn't big or strong but he is able to quickly collect the puck and relieve the pressure from forecheckers with a quick play. That's his specialty in my opinion.

In fact, I question Bowey's offensive game. He makes quick decisions but isn't dynamic with the puck and doesn't have a huge selection of shots. At best, I imagine him being a #2 PP guy, not the #1 unit.
I disagree, in the games I've seen of him he was totally lost defensively countless number of times. He's not a soft player by any means, but he watches the puck too much. Same offensively, he was blowing by with his strides, stickhandling through defensemen, and everything else. Plus he has a (underrated) really solid shot as well. Not in terms of speed, but heaviness of it.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I disagree, in the games I've seen of him he was totally lost defensively countless number of times. He's not a soft player by any means, but he watches the puck too much. Same offensively, he was blowing by with his strides, stickhandling through defensemen, and everything else. Plus he has a (underrated) really solid shot as well. Not in terms of speed, but heaviness of it.
Interesting. I saw the total opposite of this in two viewings. Would it be fine to conclude that consistency is a problem then?

Old
01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
puckfan13

I'm honestly not sure I like either prospect all that much in terms of pro potential. Morrissey and Pulock are just so much farther ahead.

I'd probably like Bowey a little more because I think his raw package is better, Theodore has a talent for zipping passes right on the tape and has good offensive instincts but when the physicality gets ramped up on good teams he does not respond well. Don't know what that says about how his response to the pro game will be when everyone is even faster and stronger. Would really like to see him use his stick better on defense because that's what he'll have to do at the next level to defend effectively. The question I have to ask is are these two really projecting to be top-4 offensive d-men in the NHL with what they have? They are kids but not sure I see enough defensive potential to be able to hang around in the NHL for a long time if they don't get to play an offensive role.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
After thinking about it, I think we might be agreeing on the same thing, just looking at the same skill in different ways.

I think his defensive game was excellent because he is able to get those loose pucks immediately and make quick plays to relieve the pressure and the breakout going.

Perhaps you are thinking about that his offensive toolset: ability to move the puck and skating with it fluidly. I consider that part of his defensive game, because he negates the forecheck and offensive setup by moving it straight to offense.

I think his strides are strong and fluid, and he has great mobility, which makes him a good puckmover and rusher. However, I just don't see the elite, dynamic ability to make quite cuts, dodge opponets, and make consistent creative, intight plays that will make him into a #1 PP defenseman in the NHL.

He'll make an excellent 2nd unit guy, and although I do see some ability to make some flashy moves, from my viewings, he keeps his plays simple and quick.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 01-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Dr Quincy

I haven't seen Theodore, but he sounds like a player I'd like.

Bowey is a little too reckless for my taste. He'll need the right coach who can tame some of his desire to constantly jump into the play. Good skillset, but a little undisciplined for an NHL defenseman.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Perhaps you are thinking about that his offensive toolset: ability to move the puck and skating with it fluidly. I consider that part of his defensive game, because he negates the forecheck and offensive setup by moving it straight to offense.

He'll make an excellent 2nd unit guy, and although I do see some ability to make some flashy moves, from my viewings, he keeps his plays simple and quick.
Yup agree with that. Also I agree this kid won't be first pairing and looking more like a mid range 2nd rounder compared to what he was earlier in the season.