HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He is more like Bobby Ryan than anyone. But he is a better passer than Ryan overall.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Are you agreeing with him? He just said Galchenyuk is nothing like Toews...
He couldn't be more wrong.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
A great night for Galchenyuk! Was happy to hear so people could relax !
That's what you think. I still have a rope tied to my balcony and a toaster near my tub just incase.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
He is more like Bobby Ryan than anyone. But he is a better passer than Ryan overall.
His work ethic and commitment to play well without the puck isn't comparable to Ryan at all... and Gally isn't the natural scorer of a Ryan.

Ryan if anything its knock is defensively and work ethic, thrive, he disappears a lot.

Kopitar is another good comparison tho.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:18 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Not really no. Toews wasn't way better defensively than Galchenyuk is right now in his junior days... and you're out of lunch if he isn't and ever will be known for his defensive style. Trevor Timmins was so proud of the way he played without the puck and his awareness defensively. So was a tons of scout. He is average at the faceoff at 50% mark, but its easy to become better at faceoff with the years.

You're very very undeducated about the Habs if you think they will turn this gem into a winger. Habs have full of prospect and good player right now on the wing, they drafted him to be their #1 centre.

I've seen the comparison of Toews a lot... Stastny doesn't have his power, strength, wrist shot and grit. Worst comparison I've seen from a while.
Toews didn't play junior, he played NCAA and he was always known for being exceptional defensively. Galchenyuk is above average defensively and that will improve as he gets older and has (from what I read and saw two years ago) more offensive potential than Toews. Jonathon Toews puts such an emphasis on defense that it hurts his offensive production and makes him a ~70 point player rather than a ~90 point player. I don't think that Galchenyuk puts as much emphasis on his defensive side, but at the same time doesn't neglect it at all. I also don't think he has the leadership abilities that Toews demonstrated from such a young age. He was a born leader and very vocal.

I see Galchenyuk's potential as more of a Kopitar-like player, who plays strong defensively, but is elite offensively. Although he doesn't put up the numbers that he's capable of due to LA's system, he is an elite offensive player with above average size and defensive ability. This is where I see Galchenyuk being when he's at the peak of his career.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:27 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
He couldn't be more wrong.
Take your homer goggles off and watch the kid play, he plays nothing like Toews, Toews is defense first and always will be. When Gally gets the puck his goal is to create offense, that's why he puts himself in bad circumstances sometimes, by trying to do too much.

I don't see where people get the Toews/Kopitar comparison, that praise is a bit high considering both are elite defensive centers. Like I said, Gally will never be defense first. The Stastny comparison was of that when Stastny was a PPG.

So what I'm saying is Gally plays an offensive style who plays above average D, he won't be called out for poor defensive play, but I don't think he'll ever be praised for it like Kopitar and Toews are.

Stastny is a strong player like Gally, you much never watch Stastny play if you think he's weak on the puck.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Take your homer goggles off and watch the kid play, he plays nothing like Toews, Toews is defense first and always will be. When Gally gets the puck his goal is to create offense, that's why he puts himself in bad circumstances sometimes, by trying to do too much.

I don't see where people get the Toews/Kopitar comparison, that praise is a bit high considering both are elite defensive centers. Like I said, Gally will never be defense first. The Stastny comparison was of that when Stastny was a PPG.

So what I'm saying is Gally plays an offensive style who plays above average D, he won't be called out for poor defensive play, but I don't think he'll ever be praised for it like Kopitar and Toews are.

Stastny is a strong player like Gally, you much never watch Stastny play if you think he's weak on the puck.
Agreed. But Stastny's playmaking ability has regressed quite a lot since two years ago.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Quote:
His work ethic and commitment to play well without the puck isn't comparable to Ryan at all... and Gally isn't the natural scorer of a Ryan.

Ryan if anything its knock is defensively and work ethic, thrive, he disappears a lot.

Kopitar is another good comparison tho.
I am not talking about work ethic. I am talking about style offensively and body type, release, skating etc.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post

So much fail on this post...anyway.. yeah I never watched Stastny play... He's been in the league since what? 2006 or 2007? But never saw him play... What a goof.

Stastny isn't weak on the puck, he is good at protecting his puck but he plays nothing like Galchenyuk. If anything Stastny is more a perimeter player than a type of player who pay the price in front of the net and in the dirty areas, something that Galchenyuk is known for. Statsny started in the NHL being very good in the traffic arena, but he is way more reluctant to go in there anymore. Plays way more along the board and doesn't drop his shoulder to cut to the net anymore.

Stastny is 6'0(183cm) and 93kg(205lbs) while being a seasoned veteran.

Galchendyuk is 6"1(185cm) and 98kg(216lbs).

Its not out of question that he hit the NHL listed at 6"2 220lbs.

Stastny isn't weak, I never wrote that anymore but he isn't gritty and doesn't really pay the price in the crease or against big defender.

Old
10-07-2012, 01:27 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

So jealous of the Habs

Edit: who cares who he compares to anyway, in few years prospects will be compared to Gally

Old
10-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Slick Eller

Looking back at the last 22 years of 3rd pick overall... Some disappointment and some great players. I hope Gally will end up among the best of them. I'll give them grade (A to E) because I'm bored on that cold sunday. I'll try to put more emphasis on their overall career than the hype at the time, because some of them didn't lived up to the hype but still managed to have a good to average career for a lot of games. After 2003-2004 its hard to give ranks because their career isn't over yet so its harder

1990: Keith Primeau (B-)
1991: Scott Niedermayer (A)
1992: Mike Rathje (C-)
1993: Chris Gratton (D+)
1994: Radek Bonk (C)
1995: Aki Berg (E)
1996: Jean-Pierre Dumont (C+)
1997: Olli Jokinen (B)
1998: Brad Stuart (C)
1999: Henrik Sedin (A)
2000: Marian Gaborik (A)
2001: Alexander Svitov (E)
2002: Jay Bouwmeester (B)
2003: Nathan Horton (B-)/Too Soon
2004: Cam Barker (D-)
2005: Jack Johnson (C)/Too Soon
2006: Jonathan Toews (B+)/Already strong resume, hardware, nomination)
2007: Kyle Turris (D+)/Too Soon
2008: Zach Bogosian (C)/Way too early, still have upside)
2009: Matt Duchene (B-) Its gettin pointless really, only played 3 seasons.

2010: Erik Grudbranson
2011: Jonathan Huberdeau
2012: Alex Galchendyuk

Inconsistencies, the draft in the 90's used to be worst than the quality of draft overall lately. But some of gigantic hype never panned out for 3rd overall... Chris Gratton and Aki Berg comes to mind. Primeau was unlucky for injuries because he was a player I really, really liked. Jay Bouwmeester is an iron man and okay at both side of the ice but he isn't the 6'4 220 pounds dman who skates like Yvan Cournoyer with great offensives instinct that everyone was saying back then.

Old
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Garyboy

Quote:

Stastny is 6'0(183cm) and 93kg(205lbs) while being a seasoned veteran.

Galchendyuk is 6"1(185cm) and 98kg(216lbs).

Its not out of question that he hit the NHL listed at 6"2 220lbs.
Galchenyuk is 216lbs? Wow! I thought he was around 185-190.

Old
10-07-2012, 06:16 PM
TS Quint

There are many heated arguements on this board but it seems Galchenyuk topics get more heated, more quickly than any other player. I haven't seen him play much but I from the number of games he has played I don't think anyone has because of his injury. But the number of people who are so sure he is going to be a PPG/ good at everything is interesting. Its also interesting how they get so upset when someone could possibly say that this guy might not be the next great NHL player or he won't play like a particular player speaks to their insecurity of their opinion. If someone has an opinion and can clearly explain it they don't tend to get upset. But people who don't have a secure opinion tend to get angry in the hopes that either your passion or your attempt to shame someone who disagrees with you will change their mind. I have nothing for or against the guy, just an observation.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:11 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Galchenyuk is 216lbs? Wow! I thought he was around 185-190.
The Sarnia Sting roster info has him at 6'2" & 205lbs

Old
10-07-2012, 08:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
The Sarnia Sting roster info has him at 6'2" & 205lbs
Junior measurements are always jacked up.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
That

He was measured at the NHL Combine at 6'0.5" 194 lbs.

The Canadiens website lists him at 6'1" 195 lbs.

There's no way he's 216 as mentioned. He most likely did gain some weight over the summer, but no chance he gained that much. I have no idea where you got that number from.

Old
10-07-2012, 08:27 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
He was measured at the NHL Combine at 6'0.5" 194 lbs.

The Canadiens website lists him at 6'1" 195 lbs.

There's no way he's 216 as mentioned. He most likely did gain some weight over the summer, but no chance he gained that much. I have no idea where you got that number from.
Eliteprospects.com, but they have had a few numbers wrong as well.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Eliteprospects.com, but they have had a few numbers wrong as well.
Yeah. I always use eliteprospects for stats. So I used that for heights and weight aswell... Hockey-reference is only for NHLers.

Eliteprospect: 6"0 216lbs
Ontariohockeyleague: 6"2 205lbs
Hockeydb: 6"2 205lbs
Wikipedia: 6"1 198lbs
Hockeysfuture: 6"1 198lbs
Forecaster: 6"1 198lbs

Hottot, Sarault and Boucher are all at 5"11 on his team he looks taller by a good 2-3 inches than all of them.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:54 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Up to 12 Points in 9 games and looked dangerously good today.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Looking more puck hungry and engaged on all levels. Still not hitting the net. Once he does he should start scoring goals at a rapid rate. Beginning to carry the puck through the neutral zone more which is creating more space of the rush for his teammates. He likes to do a lot of give and goes in that fashion.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Andy

Galchenyuk with a two goals and an assist tonight. One of the goals was an empty-netter. He's now at 18 points in 13 games. He's been held pointless only twice all season so far. I wish he was playing with a better. Sarnia is all over the place.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Galchenyuk with a two goals and an assist tonight. One of the goals was an empty-netter. He's now at 18 points in 13 games. He's been held pointless only twice all season so far. I wish he was playing with a better. Sarnia is all over the place.
Appreciate the updates, will be checking this thread all year.

Old
10-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

I think he is beginning to feel good about HIMSELF again after missing last year. Everyone keeps talking about how talented he is etc, but I think he needs to prove to himself first and foremost that he is capable of what he was doing in his rookie season, i.e: taking the puck end-to-end and scoring highlight reel goals. He is definitely stronger than his rookie season, but confidence is everything in sports and I think he is starting to regain some of it.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:26 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Looked great tonight. His high skill level was really evident. Nice to see hes finally being recognized again.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:11 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I think he is beginning to feel good about HIMSELF again after missing last year. Everyone keeps talking about how talented he is etc, but I think he needs to prove to himself first and foremost that he is capable of what he was doing in his rookie season, i.e: taking the puck end-to-end and scoring highlight reel goals. He is definitely stronger than his rookie season, but confidence is everything in sports and I think he is starting to regain some of it.
The problem with Galchenyuk is if he scores an end to end highlight real goal does that mean he's an NHL player? I mean, should he then give himself a high five and scream "I kicked those kid's ass! Did you see that 16 year old, 5'8 160lbs kid bounce off me?!!!" He's the 3rd overall pick, he should be dominating junior hockey. There's no winning for him in Junior, and if there is it's going to be More than a highlight that makes him look good.

Last edited by TS Quint: 10-26-2012 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Turn that W upside down.
Closed Thread