HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 02:13 AM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
There's no winning for him in Junior, and if there is it's going to be wore than a highlight that makes hime look good.
The rest of the post made sense sorta but what is this I don't even know.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:26 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The rest of the post made sense sorta but what is this I don't even know.
Fixed that for ya.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:31 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Fixed that for ya.
What do you mean by there's no winning for him in junior? I don't get it. I actually thought u were inebriated... now I'm getting worried that you are serious. He's not godlike because he had a three point night but with everyone breathing down Habs fans neck on this site right now about his production, it's reassuring to see he is only 4 points away from the OHL scoring title. We're not saying he won anything.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
The problem with Galchenyuk is if he scores an end to end highlight real goal does that mean he's an NHL player? I mean, should he then give himself a high five and scream "I kicked those kid's ass! Did you see that 16 year old, 5'8 160lbs kid bounce off me?!!!" He's the 3rd overall pick, he should be dominating junior hockey. There's no winning for him in Junior, and if there is it's going to be More than a highlight that makes him look good.
Brutal fail in this post. How often do you think he's up against 16-year-old 160 lb players? Do you watch junior hockey. I guarantee 95% of his ice time is against the opponent's top pairings. Those are 19 and 20-year-olds like Hamilton, Ceci, Petgrave, Finn, etc. Show me anyone who "dominates" in that league.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:04 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Galchenyuk with a two goals and an assist tonight. One of the goals was an empty-netter. He's now at 18 points in 13 games. He's been held pointless only twice all season so far. I wish he was playing with a better. Sarnia is all over the place.
Scored a empty net goal and a penalty shot.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
He is more like Bobby Ryan than anyone. But he is a better passer than Ryan overall.
Admittedly, I have not seen a ton of him, but I would compare Galchenyuk to Patrice Bergeron. Parallels below:

- 6'1; 200(ish)
- competitive players
- good defensive centers
- favor passing, but can shoot
- very strong on skates
- very good hands and control of puck
- consistent, but not prolific scorers

I could see Galchenyuk being a bit better of an offensive player, but there would be no shame if he ends up exactly like Bergeron.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
Admittedly, I have not seen a ton of him, but I would compare Galchenyuk to Patrice Bergeron. Parallels below:

- 6'1; 200(ish)
- competitive players
- good defensive centers
- favor passing, but can shoot
- very strong on skates
- very good hands and control of puck
- consistent, but not prolific scorers

I could see Galchenyuk being a bit better of an offensive player, but there would be no shame if he ends up exactly like Bergeron.
Really? Galchenyuk is lack luster at best in his own zone... comparing him to a selky winner is laughable. Kid is elite offensively, can stick handle in a phone booth. Often gets himself in trouble for trying to do to much on his own. Plays better with better line-mates.

Plus Galchenyuk is much more offensively gifted then Bergeron. Think poor mans Malkin.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Really? Galchenyuk is lack luster at best in his own zone... comparing him to a selky winner is laughable. Kid is elite offensively, can stick handle in a phone booth. Often gets himself in trouble for trying to do to much on his own. Plays better with better line-mates.

Plus Galchenyuk is much more offensively gifted then Bergeron. Think poor mans Malkin.
Patrice Bergeron is a poor man's Malkin. Bergeron scored 20 points in 23 playoff games enroute to the Stanley Cup. He also has a whole bunch of 60 and 70 point seasons.

I admitted that I haven't seen much of Galchenyuk, but I had heard that he was good defensively. That's why he was compared to Toews.

Would you say a guy like Brad Richards is "much more offensively gifted" than Bergeron? I would say he is just slightly more offensively gifted.

There are at least two players in Galchenyuk's own draft that have more offensive talent than he does (Yakupov and Grigorenko). Galchenyuk hasn't shown more talent than a guy like Nathan Horton did at the same age. I'm not sure why we should assume stratospheric production from him.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:31 AM
randylahey

Quote:
Patrice Bergeron is a poor man's Malkin. Bergeron scored 20 points in 23 playoff games enroute to the Stanley Cup. He also has a whole bunch of 60 and 70 point seasons.

I admitted that I haven't seen much of Galchenyuk, but I had heard that he was good defensively. That's why he was compared to Toews.

Would you say a guy like Brad Richards is "much more offensively gifted" than Bergeron? I would say he is just slightly more offensively gifted.

There are at least two players in Galchenyuk's own draft that have more offensive talent than he does (Yakupov and Grigorenko). Galchenyuk hasn't shown more talent than a guy like Nathan Horton did at the same age. I'm not sure why we should assume stratospheric production from him.
Calling anyone a poor man's Malkin, especially Bergeron is ridiculous. Their PIM's aren't even comparable. Sure he had a good playoff run when Boston won, but I also see Malkin's name on the Conn Smythe too.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
bleuetbio

There's no problem at all with Gally. If you want more informations about him, go to the topic in the habs section. The only concerns we have right about have right now are that he plays at wing sometime, he's not top nutch for faceoff and Sarnia doesnt have good wingers for him when he plays center. He could be the 1st top scorer of the OHL with just one good winger with him.

Its pretty impressive to see Sarnia back in track with this poor team and Gally is responsable for a major part.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Clipitar

Quote:

- 6'1; 200(ish)
My issue with that stat is that I'm not even sure Bergeron weighed 180lbs at Galchenyuk's age. Considering how much of a gym freak he is, by the time Gally establishes himself as a NHLer (hopefully) he should easily become a 220+lbs tank. He has much more power forward upside than Bergeron ever had, or will have.

However I don't see any elite defensive upside in Galchenyuk either. But as others have said, more offensive vision, better hands & shot. The comparison simply doesn't stand.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:11 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Will he be playing with the Habs next season or with the Sting?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
It's hard to know at this point. If he continues to get his timing back, starts to really dominate games, is one of the top scorers in the OHL and has a good WJC than yes, I could very well see him with the Habs. The problem with him early is that since he missed almost all of last year, you could see that he was off on his timing and he wasn't 100% in game shape. He seems to be getting stronger and stronger each game, so the sky's the limit at this point.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Habs

Old
10-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
It's his last season in the OHL...can't see him returning under any circumstances.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:16 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
My issue with that stat is that I'm not even sure Bergeron weighed 180lbs at Galchenyuk's age. Considering how much of a gym freak he is, by the time Gally establishes himself as a NHLer (hopefully) he should easily become a 220+lbs tank. He has much more power forward upside than Bergeron ever had, or will have.

However I don't see any elite defensive upside in Galchenyuk either. But as others have said, more offensive vision, better hands & shot. The comparison simply doesn't stand.
I don't really want him to end up elite defensively, either. I don't want my greatest offensive catalyst also being a 1st PK unit stalwart. Not that that wouldn't be an attractive trait if there weren't a price to pay, it's just that there obviously is a price to pay. We see this exemplified in our very own Plekanec. He can keep up a PPG pace for about 45 games, and by the end of the season, it's just too much. I want him to be defensively responsible, and be able to chip in.

We've got every kind of player you win with in our prospect pool; with Galchenyuk, we finally may have a player that you win because of.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I don't really want him to end up elite defensively, either. I don't want my greatest offensive catalyst also being a 1st PK unit stalwart. Not that that wouldn't be an attractive trait if there weren't a price to pay, it's just that there obviously is a price to pay. We see this exemplified in our very own Plekanec. He can keep up a PPG
pace for about 45 games, and by the end of the season, it's just too much. I want him to be defensively responsible, and be able to chip in.

We've got every kind of player you
win with in our prospect pool; with Galchenyuk, we finally may have a player that you win because of.
Exceptional post. Couldn't agree more.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
The problem with Galchenyuk is if he scores an end to end highlight real goal does that mean he's an NHL player? I mean, should he then give himself a high five and scream "I kicked those kid's ass! Did you see that 16 year old, 5'8 160lbs kid bounce off me?!!!" He's the 3rd overall pick, he should be dominating junior hockey. There's no winning for him in Junior, and if there is it's going to be More than a highlight that makes him look good.
so he is only looking good cause he is playing vs 16 year olds?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:20 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Read his other posts in this tread, don't think he thinks too highly of Galchenyuk.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:21 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
It just exemplifies how much better Grigorenko is than Galchenyuk: He's dominating against 19 and 20 year olds, while Gally is dominating 16 year olds. And Grigorenko is only 20, to boot!

Old
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
It just exemplifies how much better Grigorenko is than Galchenyuk: He's dominating against 19 and 20 year olds, while Gally is dominating 16 year olds. And Grigorenko is only 20, to boot!
ahhh now it all makes sense.....

24 points on a stacked team vs 18 points on an average team. I'll still take Gally.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Pretty sure that if the lock out does end this year then he makes the team. The lock out was the best possible thing for his development as he can shake off the rust and re-gain his confidence. Definitely on Habs next season.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:03 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What do you mean by there's no winning for him in junior? I don't get it. I actually thought u were inebriated... now I'm getting worried that you are serious. He's not godlike because he had a three point night but with everyone breathing down Habs fans neck on this site right now about his production, it's reassuring to see he is only 4 points away from the OHL scoring title. We're not saying he won anything.
It means we are saying the same thing. Let's try another analogy to help. You know what a stock is right? Right now his stock is very high, he was drafted 3rd overall. Is being a top 10 scorer in the OHL going to raise his stock? No, because that is what he is supposed to do. So to sum it up for you, he's a very good player (which sounds like what you are begging to hear) but scoring an end to end highlight goal or being a top scorer in the OHL won't quiet his critics because that is what he should be doing but god help him if he finishes outside the top 10 in OHL scoring. Which is to say no matter what he does in the OHL he can't win. A strong WJC on the other hand will help him quite a bit.

Galchenyuk fans are very sensitive.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Pretty sure that if the lock out does end this year then he makes the team. The lock out was the best possible thing for his development as he can shake off the rust and re-gain his confidence. Definitely on Habs next season.
Why would the Habs take him on the big team this early when we clearly aren't in a position of contending and we don't have enough room for him in order to give him optimal minutes. Plus, there's absolutely no need to burn one of his ELC years. The key in cap-era NHL is to have young guys on their ELC contribute to be a serious contender. Galchenyuk, as of right now, is not in a position to contribute seriously. At least, not enough to suddenly turn the Habs into a contender.

On top of that, he's coming from a serious injury and barely getting back into the grove. Not only that, but he's not really dominating against kids right now, no need to bring him against men.

Lockout or not, the best thing for Galchenyuk's development is to spend the year in the OHL. Hopefully, he'll get traded to a contender soon, which will allow us to see if he can be the go-to guy on a stacked team.

As for next season, we'll see. I don't think we can really tell at this point. If he kills the OHL this year, then yes, another season in juniors would be overkill. If he keep up his current pace, it would depends on team needs. I wouldn't bring him over if I can't guarantee him top 6 minutes and PP time.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:08 PM
guest1467

Quote:
It means we are saying the same thing. Let's try another analogy to help. You know what a stock is right? Right now his stock is very high, he was drafted 3rd overall. Is being a top 10 scorer in the OHL going to raise his stock? No, because that is what he is supposed to do. So to sum it up for you, he's a very good player (which sounds like what you are begging to hear) but scoring an end to end highlight goal or being a top scorer in the OHL won't quiet his critics because that is what he should be doing but god help him if he finishes outside the top 10 in OHL scoring. Which is to say no matter what he does in the OHL he can't win. A strong WJC on the other hand will help him quite a bit.

Galchenyuk fans are very sensitive.
He is no longer draft eligible. This 'stock' you keep referencing does not even exist.

Closed Thread