HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Man glad he's doing so well, hate it he is a habs prospect lol.

12-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Man glad he's doing so well, hate it he is a habs prospect lol.
I'm sure many Hab fans are humbled anytime a Leaf fan comes here to write what you wrote! (probably not easy, so thanks ).

I'm very happy Galchenyuk (from everything I've read) has amazing work ethic and a great attitude (helped a lot for his knee rehab).

Old
12-18-2012, 08:20 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I have had the luxury of watching both Yakupov and Galchenyuk evolve in Sarnia and what Galchenyuk is doing this season is exceeding my lofty early season expectations. We all know that he is a tremendous hockey talent but it's the intangibles in his game (work ethic, professionalism, leadership) that set him above and beyond as an elite prospect.

if you are interested, I have shared my first hand opinions on Alex Galchenyuk over at The Hockey Writers website in the prospects section.

Check it out if you wish.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:35 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I hate being jealous of the Habs....

I love Gally

Old
12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
PricePkPatch

Any of you would see him on the right point in the power play? Maybe teamed up with Subban?

Old
12-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Bob MacKenzie tweeted and seems to think Gally will be playing on the 2nd line as LW for USA.

Very surprising, especially with how hot he is right now. Can't see it staying that way for very long but USA hockey has been more prone to reward guys who play in the states so hard to know for sure.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Xokkeu

It has nothing to do with rewards or not. It's simply about spreading out the scoring depth and having two lines that can score and not just one. Galchenyuk is no more a second line player than Malkin is for Pittsburgh.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Bob MacKenzie tweeted and seems to think Gally will be playing on the 2nd line as LW for USA.

Very surprising, especially with how hot he is right now. Can't see it staying that way for very long but USA hockey has been more prone to reward guys who play in the states so hard to know for sure.
USA is essentially running a 1a/1b top two lines. I wouldn't be concerned whether its the first or second line he's playing on as they will likely get equal playing time.

It appears that Galchenyuk will line up with fellow OHL'er Trocheck and that looks like it could be a deadly combination. Trocheck is very underrated in the prospect world.

It is interesting that Galchenyuk is on the left side. In Sarnia, he has been playing predominantly right wing (his off wing) so I am eager to see how that chances his game much not coming down the off wing...it probably won't, as he has shown to adapt at all forward positions.

Old
12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
USA is essentially running a 1a/1b top two lines. I wouldn't be concerned whether its the first or second line he's playing on as they will likely get equal playing time.

It appears that Galchenyuk will line up with fellow OHL'er Trocheck and that looks like it could be a deadly combination. Trocheck is very underrated in the prospect world.

It is interesting that Galchenyuk is on the left side. In Sarnia, he has been playing predominantly right wing (his off wing) so I am eager to see how that chances his game much not coming down the off wing...it probably won't, as he has shown to adapt at all forward positions.

Exactly

Old
12-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Habsawce

Quote:

I've seen him play live 3 times this season and he played LW or C in those games.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:35 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
I've seen him play live 3 times this season and he played LW or C in those games.
I don't know. I've had press access to every home game. He does line up occasionally on the left side and does take faceoffs occasionally but he's skating mostly on the right wing. Reid Boucher is the left winger.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I don't know. I've had press access to every home game. He does line up occasionally on the left side and does take faceoffs occasionally but he's skating mostly on the right wing. Reid Boucher is the left winger.
Incorrect. Gally has played almost the entire season on the LW. Boucher's a RW.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
For a second I was worried I forgot which was left and which was right, lol.

Old
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
That

Quote:
For a second I was worried I forgot which was left and which was right, lol.
Me too, me too.

He started out playing left wing, before shifting to centre for bit. Then rotated between right wing and centre, before switching to right wing. Then about five weeks ago he switched to left wing. He does however, still take regular shifts on right wing, but lines up on the left side.

Or maybe none of us know our left from right and dean's right . When I saw him in Barrie, he was a left wing. Lined up on the left side and played there the entire game. I know that because I bought tickets so he'd be on my side of the ice 2/3 periods...

Old
12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Canuck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Are you actually telling a guy that has seen most if not all Sarnia Sting games that he is incorrect? Would be very curious to hear how many Sting games you've been able to attend this season because Gally has been playing on the right side for most of the games I've watched. Yes he does occasionallyline up on the left side, but he's a RW that likes coming down on his off wing. So from the two posters that watch Sarnia play regularly, I can inform you that YOU are incorrect.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
Are you actually telling a guy that has seen most if not all Sarnia Sting games that he is incorrect? Would be very curious to hear how many Sting games you've been able to attend this season because Gally has been playing on the right side for most of the games I've watched. Yes he does occasionallyline up on the left side, but he's a RW that likes coming down on his off wing. So from the two posters that watch Sarnia play regularly, I can inform you that YOU are incorrect.
Occasionally? I don't think I've not seen him line up on the left side during even strength play in about a month .

You are correct though. We all know how much he loves that corner on the right side. How often do we see him either carry the puck or get a pass in the corner only to make a beautiful tape-to-tape pass to Boucher or Sarault. He occupies the entire ice, the left wing, centre and the right wing. He's dangerous from everywhere, and has highlight reel plays from nearly every position in the offensive zone.

But this raises another question. How does one go about deciding position? Where they line up during the faceoff, or where they spend a large portion of their time on the ice?

Old
12-18-2012, 08:03 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Occasionally? I don't think I've not seen him line up on the left side during even strength play in about a month .

You are correct though. We all know how much he loves that corner on the right side. How often do we see him either carry the puck or get a pass in the corner only to make a beautiful tape-to-tape pass to Boucher or Sarault. He occupies the entire ice, the left wing, centre and the right wing. He's dangerous from everywhere, and has highlight reel plays from nearly every position in the offensive zone.

But this raises another question. How does one go about deciding position? Where they line up during the faceoff, or where they spend a large portion of their time on the ice?
Hockey is much more complicated than ''I have my position this is what I do''. First, there's no positions in the offensive zone. Secondly, it's the first guy back in the defensive zone to help out the D's that play center until everything is settled and he can safely returns to the wing. That's why most coaches will ask the center to be the third man high.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Hockey is much more complicated than ''I have my position this is what I do''. First, there's no positions in the offensive zone. Secondly, it's the first guy back in the defensive zone to help out the D's that play center until everything is settled and he can safely returns to the wing. That's why most coaches will ask the center to be the third man high.
yes in a very conventional system, but most good offensive teams play a rotating cycle and make every forward responsible for centre backcheck duties.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
yes in a very conventional system, but most good offensive teams play a rotating cycle and make every forward responsible for centre backcheck duties.
yeah...and that's why I said wingers could end up doing the center duties in the defensive zone and that I also mentioned that there were no positions in the offensive zone. It was meant to keep the center as the third man high when forechecking.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
I'm not quite sure I follow. So what your saying is that you'd rather (while I'm assuming) denote the LW, C, and RW positions as simply forwards?

Last edited by That: 12-18-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 09:11 PM
domdo345

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I follow. So what your saying is that you'd rather (while I'm assuming) denote the LW, C, and RW positions as simply forwards?
No off course not!! I was just saying that in many situations, your designed position won't be what you are doing. Just like a forward stay back to cover a Dman going up.

edit: Just meant to say that it doesn't matter if he's slotted as "left winger", he still can act like a center out there!

Old
12-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

Just stop.....

Old
12-18-2012, 09:48 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Like a lot of Canadiens fans, the WJC will be the first chance I have to see him play (besides youtube clips etc). Through the help of some of our very knowledgable posters (That, CrimsonSkorpion, HankyZetts, HABS2DCUP etc) we been able to follow his progress from his slow start of the season to where he's at right now. Very excited to see him play, especially against most of the worlds best junior players. His progression this year is quite amazing, especially after his slow start probably due to his injury and the fact he hadn't played very much hockey in the last year.

Games 1-11: 4 goals, 10 assists= 1.27 PPG

Games 12-22: 9 goals, 12 assists= 1.91 PPG

Games 23-33: 14 goals, 12 assists= 2.36 PPG
Thanks Frank.

I was thinking to myself, and I wonder how much Galchenyuk's rise in prodction has to do with him deciding to shoot more? I noticed, while editing his highlights, that there's way more film of him attacking the D and shooting, instead of attacking and passing off to Boucher who, well... you know. That and the fact that he seems to have regained his accuracy, hence confidence, in his shot.

Quote:

I agree about Trocheck. I had no idea who he was before I started watching the OHL this year, and man do I like this kid. Love his game and think he's in for a big tourney.

Gally plays mostly left wing btw.

Quote:

Faceoffs, generally, for sure and I'd look at their breakouts, he's always breaking out on the left side sooo.. He's been a left winger for the last while, that's for sure. He's definitely a threat all over the ice though.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
BoxerMax

Who cares what side of the ice he is playing. Gally is by far the best forward in the OHL right now and the Habs getting him with the #3 pick is a steal.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Who cares what side of the ice he is playing. Gally is by far the best forward in the OHL right now and the Habs getting him with the #3 pick is a steal.
A player picked at #3 should be one of the best in his respective league. Not sure why you think this is a steal. He's a great prospect who was drafted high for a reason and is meeting expectations.

He was the top OHL player drafted last year and is the top OHL player this year.

Closed Thread