HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
SarcazemKadri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Who cares what side of the ice he is playing. Gally is by far the best forward in the OHL right now and the Habs getting him with the #3 pick is a steal.
How is a 3rd overall pick a steal Especially when not a single 2012 draft pick has had a chance to touch the NHL, AND the 1st and 2nd overall picks are playing in entirely different leagues.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
johnnyboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
A player picked at #3 should be one of the best in his respective league. Not sure why you think this is a steal. He's a great prospect who was drafted high for a reason and is meeting expectations.

He was the top OHL player drafted last year and is the top OHL player this year.

This guy thinks he's a steal, just sayin!!

"From all early accounts, the Montreal Canadiens appear to have had an extremely successful draft in 2012 but their third overall selection of Alex Galchenyuk may have been one of their biggest steals"

http://thehockeywriters.com/alex-gal...ior-dominance/

Old
12-19-2012, 12:18 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
A player picked at #3 should be one of the best in his respective league. Not sure why you think this is a steal. He's a great prospect who was drafted high for a reason and is meeting expectations.

He was the top OHL player drafted last year and is the top OHL player this year.
Yakupov says hello. I mean, obviously he doesn't play there now, but he did then.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:19 PM
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post

"From all early accounts, the Montreal Canadiens appear to have had an extremely successful draft in 2012 but their third overall selection of Alex Galchenyuk may have been one of their biggest steals"

No player in the top echelon of picks can really be considered a steal, especially this early. SO, that hockey writers quote is as comical as yours

Old
12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
ponder

It's totally possible that a player picked 3rd overall could turn out to be a huge steal, if he ends up way better than the two players picked ahead of him. It definitely is too early to be making statements like that, though, especially with Yakupov playing so well in the KHL.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
It think he will be an All Star caliber player at some point in his career but its pretty tough to label a guy as a steal at #3 overall.

Last edited by 1972: 12-19-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 12:38 PM
zoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It's totally possible that a player picked 3rd overall could turn out to be a huge steal, if he ends up way better than the two players picked ahead of him. It definitely is too early to be making statements like that, though, especially with Yakupov playing so well in the KHL.
Can a player really be a steal if he is by far the most obvious choice to pick? Is there really a team who wouldn't have selected Gally in that position. Before the comedic geniuses go crazy, yes Burke said he had Rielly ahead, but he also said this might be the first draft he would select with positional need in mind.

I wouldn't consider Gally a steal, but he is one of my favourite prospects from that draft and I have no problem saying I absolutely wanted him more than anyone else for the Leafs (taking draft position into consideration, Yakupov is a beast as well). Can't wait to watch Gally in the WJC this year, I'll be mainly watching to see how Biggs does, but I'll definitely enjoy the talent Gally brings. Great selection by Montreal, deserve to be really excited about this guy.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post
Can a player really be a steal if he is by far the most obvious choice to pick? Is there really a team who wouldn't have selected Gally in that position. Before the comedic geniuses go crazy, yes Burke said he had Rielly ahead, but he also said this might be the first draft he would select with positional need in mind.

I wouldn't consider Gally a steal, but he is one of my favourite prospects from that draft and I have no problem saying I absolutely wanted him more than anyone else for the Leafs (taking draft position into consideration, Yakupov is a beast as well). Can't wait to watch Gally in the WJC this year, I'll be mainly watching to see how Biggs does, but I'll definitely enjoy the talent Gally brings. Great selection by Montreal, deserve to be really excited about this guy.
IF he turns out far better than Yakupov and Murray (and that is a major, major "if"), then he'll be a steal because in retrospect, he shouldn't even have been available at 3rd overall. A "steal" doesn't necessarily mean a genius pick, it means you managed to get a great player when not so great players went ahead of him. For example, looking at the 2011, if Huberdeau, Strome, Zibanejad and Scheifele turn out poorly, while Couturier and Hamilton turn out great, then I think most would consider Couturier and Hamilton "steals," even if they were pretty obvious picks at 8/9 that year.

Also, I bet a good number of teams would have passed on Galchenyuk if they were in Montreal's spot. He missed more or less his entire draft season after a nasty knee injury (played only 8 games, putting up 4 points), and though his previous/rookie season was very impressive, I'm sure some scouts were wondering if he was carried by Yakupov.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:59 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboo View Post

"this guy" is me and Galchenyuk can be a steal at 3rd if he ends up better than Yakupov and Murray, something I feel is very possible from watching them for three seasons. Obviously it's too early to be a steal but the term "steal" can be used. It's not a definite statement gentlemen. You're getting worked over one phrase. I did use 'may'

Thanks for your comments

Old
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
if Brandon Ross who is not a scout, and has never played any form of competitive hockey says he is a steal then he must be.

It think he will be an All Star caliber player at some point in his career but its pretty tough to label a guy as a steal at #3 overall.
It's "Brendan" and thanks for your ignorant comments. I may or may not have played "competitive hockey" (that's irrelevant in the hockey world) but I can assure you that I've been in hockey (on ice and off ice for over 25 years).

And, are you certain that I'm not a "scout". You would know I guess. I'm at the rinks doing reports 5 times a week.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
How is a 3rd overall pick a steal Especially when not a single 2012 draft pick has had a chance to touch the NHL, AND the 1st and 2nd overall picks are playing in entirely different leagues.
Seriously. It's like saying Yakupov is a steal.

The only reasoning for saying the Habs got a steal is that he should have went #1 overall, which is probably at least 5 years premature.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
zoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
IF he turns out far better than Yakupov and Murray (and that is a major, major "if"), then he'll be a steal because in retrospect, he shouldn't even have been available at 3rd overall. A "steal" doesn't necessarily mean a genius pick, it means you managed to get a great player when not so great players went ahead of him. For example, looking at the 2011, if Huberdeau, Strome, Zibanejad and Scheifele turn out poorly, while Couturier and Hamilton turn out great, then I think most would consider Couturier and Hamilton "steals," even if they were pretty obvious picks at 8/9 that year.

Also, I bet a good number of teams would have passed on Galchenyuk if they were in Montreal's spot. He missed more or less his entire draft season after a nasty knee injury (played only 8 games, putting up 4 points), and though his previous/rookie season was very impressive, I'm sure some scouts were wondering if he was carried by Yakupov.
I guess that's where I make the distinction in terms of steals being such high picks. To me they have to be passed over to be steals and I think Gally went exactly where everyone thought he was going to go. I do agree that there would be many GM's that might have passed him over, but to me that would make him a smart pick by Montreal, not a steal (considering that didn't happen and is only an assumption). Both Couturier and Hamilton were slated to go earlier than they did, so to me that puts them into steal contention, hell I'd already call Couturier a steal for his performance in the playoffs last year. Either way it's a disagreement over semantics, which is somewhat irrelevant in this thread. Let's agree to disagree... after I already typed out my response of course, haha.

Anyways, I'm very happy to see what Gally can do at the WJC, should be an exciting tournament.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:07 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoA View Post
I guess that's where I make the distinction in terms of steals being such high picks. To me they have to be passed over to be steals and I think Gally went exactly where everyone thought he was going to go. I do agree that there would be many GM's that might have passed him over, but to me that would make him a smart pick by Montreal, not a steal (considering that didn't happen and is only an assumption). Both Couturier and Hamilton were slated to go earlier than they did, so to me that puts them into steal contention, hell I'd already call Couturier a steal for his performance in the playoffs last year. Either way it's a disagreement over semantics, which is somewhat irrelevant in this thread. Let's agree to disagree... after I already typed out my response of course, haha.

Anyways, I'm very happy to see what Gally can do at the WJC, should be an exciting tournament.
Fair enough, it is just semantics. Agreed about looking forward to the WJC, I see Galchenyuk being one of the top players for the Americans for sure.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:41 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:

Yakapov was the top OHL player drafted last year. My meaning by that he was a steal, is that Gally is the best player out of that draft. He should have never been around after the 1st pick.

My comment about Gally should have went 1st has nothing to do with this season. It is after watching both play 2 years ago and Yakapov play last year. Gally has the more complete game. Offensively, Yakapov has the slight edge, but defensively, there is no question that Gally is better.

Last edited by BoxerMax: 12-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 1093
Before and immediately after the draft the Galchenyuk pick was considered somewhat risky due to his injury and missing an entire season.

That feeling is no longer there with his excellent play and development. The only way I could see him being considered a steal at this point would be based on the belief he was a risky pick at 3.

Old
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
Clearly never heard of Michael Jordan

Old
12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
This Michael Jordan you speak of, is he of similar pedigree as Morgan Rielly?

Old
12-19-2012, 06:24 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
The Carolina Huricane draft pick?

Old
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Xokkeu

JP Dumont
Olli Jokinen
Brad Stuart
Henrik Sedin
Marian Gaborik
Aleksandr Svitov
Jay Bouwmeester
Nathan Horton
Cam Barker
Jack Johnson
Jon Toews
Kyle Turris
Zach Bogosian
Matt Duchene

A lot of all star players taken at #3 in the last decade and a half, but not a lot of what I would call elite players. By my standards there are 3 truly elite players taken in that slot, Gaborik, Sedin and Toews.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Intangiblezzz
Price is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
JP Dumont
Olli Jokinen
Brad Stuart
Henrik Sedin
Marian Gaborik
Aleksandr Svitov
Jay Bouwmeester
Nathan Horton
Cam Barker
Jack Johnson
Jon Toews
Kyle Turris
Zach Bogosian
Matt Duchene

A lot of all star players taken at #3 in the last decade and a half, but not a lot of what I would call elite players. By my standards there are 3 truly elite players taken in that slot, Gaborik, Sedin and Toews.
But Svitov and Barker are the only busts. Johnson, Turris, Bogo and Duchene might eventually become elite. Well, maybe Duchene.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
But Svitov and Barker are the only busts. Johnson, Turris, Bogo and Duchene might eventually become elite. Well, maybe Duchene.
So basically the baseline for a 3rd overall pick is not just an NHL player, but somewhere between solid NHLer (occasional all star) to perennial all star.

Old
12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
JP Dumont
Olli Jokinen
Brad Stuart
Henrik Sedin
Marian Gaborik
Aleksandr Svitov
Jay Bouwmeester
Nathan Horton
Cam Barker
Jack Johnson
Jon Toews
Kyle Turris
Zach Bogosian
Matt Duchene

Wow, I had forgotten that JP Dumont was a 3rd overall pick. What a disappointing first round that was in 1996.

Last edited by FrankMTL: 12-19-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Wow, I had forgotten that JP Dumont was a 3rd overall pick. What a disappointing first round that was in 1996.
Take a look at 1999 after Henrik Sedin.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Galchenyuk is playing wing both in Sarnia and at the WJC. Question: why do you think that he will be a center in the NHL? Generally, a lot of centers switch to wing to make it in the pros.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Galchenyuk is playing wing both in Sarnia and at the WJC. Question: why do you think that he will be a center in the NHL? Generally, a lot of centers switch to wing when going pro.
Because the Habs management sees him as a center, he was excellent as a center in the OHL before this season and he has every skill you want in a center. This LW stuff is Jacques Beaulieu's idea to put his 3 big guns together (Charles Sarault isn't a winger and can only play C), unfortunately Housley is continuing it in this tourney.

Closed Thread