HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
The issue isnt so much that but that we do have plenty of prospects bust like everyone else. But we already have players at all levels in defense, we need a forward to compliment pacioretty and desharnais

Old
06-04-2012, 10:08 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The reason why we say the Habs wont take a defenseman in the first round..
Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz and Weber are all young blue-liners currently on the team who have had a positive impact.
Nash, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, St. Denis, Pateryn are defenseman in Hamilton next season. Nash and St. Denis have both played in the NHL and done well during their call-ups.
Bennett, Dietz and Didier are all legitimate defensive prospects in the system. Bennett coming off an excellent season in Michigan, Dietz who was one of the top D men for Saskatoon and Didier who is already built like an NHLer.

Montreals forward talent?
Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller in the NHL. That is 3 forwards out of 12. Plekanec, Cole and Gionta are the veterans.
Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival and Holland, Avtsin are AHL players next season. Leblanc will be lucky to be a 2nd liner. Gallagher has the size factor against him but looks great. Bournival is a checking forward. Holland is a project. Avtsin has done nothing to prove his potential.
Pribyl, MacMillan, Kristo and Quailer round out the forward prospects. Pribyl could be something but could do what Avtsin did. MacMillan has a lot of college years left. Kristo will be a top two line player. Quailer has potential but who knows if he can develop.

We have young NHL defenseman. We have two can't miss prospects on the back end. With Ellis, Dietz and Bennet as three guys who I believe will be NHLers.

We have no top line forwards in the system. Not one. All we have is hopefuls. A guy like Galchenyuk at number 3 is more guaranteed than anything else.
And outside of Subban, the chances of you having a top line dman are about the same as your top line forwards. So an argument could be made that you need a potential elite top pairing dman like Murray (aomething that Montreal doesn't have).

In all likelihood they grab a forward, but the argument could very easily be made they pick a dman. Like everyone else is saying, the draft is fluid and things change. It's easy to want a guy and say the Habs need him. It's much harder to know what is going on in Bergevin's head.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM
NotProkofievian

Habs need an impact forward, period. We have all kinds of players you "win with." But, depending on the way PK continues to develop, we don't really have a skater that you win "because of." I think PK has the potential to develop into that kind of player for us.

However, we've got a chance to pick up a forward who can make things happen, and that's what we're going to have to do.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
InvalidUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Habs need an impact forward, period. We have all kinds of players you "win with." But, depending on the way PK continues to develop, we don't really have a skater that you win "because of." I think PK has the potential to develop into that kind of player for us.

However, we've got a chance to pick up a forward who can make things happen, and that's what we're going to have to do.
I'm really hoping the Habs go for the big potential of Grigorenko allowing Galchenyuk to fall to the Leafs.

(And then I secretly hope Grigo doesn't work out for you. )

Old
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
I'm really hoping the Habs go for the big potential of Grigorenko allowing Galchenyuk to fall to the Leafs.

(And then I secretly hope Grigo doesn't work out for you. )
Must be a leafs fan.

I'd really be happy with either Gally, or Grigo, even though I'm mostly in support of drafting Forsberg. Both Montreal and Toronto are probably going to land a forward with a bunch of skill. Should be interesting to watch them develop!

Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
johnnyutah

habs and leafs are both almost guaranteed one of forsberg, gally or grigo. Were both gonna get what we want. The future of the rivalry is looking bright

Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
habs and leafs are both almost guaranteed one of forsberg, gally or grigo. Were both gonna get what we want. The future of the rivalry is looking bright
We need someone to take a Dman in the top 4 for us to be guaranteed a forward, likely, but not guaranteed.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
That's actually more of a reason why you should take my word for it. I love Schenner but I'm not an idiot and think he's the best, I just really hope he turns it around cause a lot of people (myself included) thought he was a can't miss prospect.
Honestly, Schenn was a victim of the same thing that Latendresse was. He was too good for junior at the time but wasn't ready for the NHL. After a full season in the NHL, the teams decided to keep them in the NHL rather then send them down to the AHL to really allow them to develop their game against their peers.

Schenn can turn it around but it becomes increasingly difficult now.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:55 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
And outside of Subban, the chances of you having a top line dman are about the same as your top line forwards. So an argument could be made that you need a potential elite top pairing dman like Murray (aomething that Montreal doesn't have).

In all likelihood they grab a forward, but the argument could very easily be made they pick a dman. Like everyone else is saying, the draft is fluid and things change. It's easy to want a guy and say the Habs need him. It's much harder to know what is going on in Bergevin's head.
Murray has not been described by too many people as a top pairing dman nor elite. Murray's report is that he will be a 15 year player. That's a good value for a selection, you know you're getting a player with longevity. Murray does not have a skillset that is sorely lacking in our pool. We have puck moving defenseman in Subban, Bennett, Diaz, Weber and Beaulieu. We have shut-down defenseman in Tinordi, Ellis, Didier, and Emelin. Not to mention we already have Gorges who is still young and will be in contention for captiancy when Gionta is gone.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Must be a leafs fan.

I'd really be happy with either Gally, or Grigo, even though I'm mostly in support of drafting Forsberg. Both Montreal and Toronto are probably going to land a forward with a bunch of skill. Should be interesting to watch them develop!
Well at least one of them did.

06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Crosby 2.0?

Old
06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Other fan bases feel free to take their shots at the leafs.

Go on.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
No, both of them did.

06-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I lost the bet fair and square, I will stay by my word and put on a Gally's Habs jersey until the start of the season. A little disappointing that he ended up sliding to u guys but I guess I was just completely proven wrong.

So Habs, take your avatar pick out and put it on the board, I will put it on.

Old
06-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
I lost the bet fair and square, I will stay by my word and put on a Gally's Habs jersey until the start of the season. A little disappointing that he ended up sliding to u guys but I guess I was just completely proven wrong.

So Habs, take your avatar pick out and put it on the board, I will put it on.
Gomez With Hearts imo.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
wreckingcru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
Worked out for , pick a defenseman, granted he is good, I just do not see it....

Old
06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Gomez With Hearts imo.
No chance, the bet was to either put Gally's jersey on or something realistic.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Good on you Lupes for showing up here.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Snipeshow

Galchenyuk was my favourite prospect in this draft, I hate that he went to the Habs. ****.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

More than glad he's a Hab now.

Galchenyuk had always bled bleu, blanc, rouge.

Just like the Russian/States flag.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
More than glad he's a Hab now.

Galchenyuk had always bled bleu, blanc, rouge.

Just like the Russian/States flag.
Yeah but he's Americinnnn.... wait... it still works!

Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 PM
WarriorofTime

Smart kid telling everyone he's American even though he definitely sounds Russian to me. If he declared himself Russian his injury would be blamed on him and he would have fallen 10-15 spots.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

I am jealous, really wanted this kid. Having the D version of Gally helps a lot though.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Smart kid telling everyone he's American even though he definitely sounds Russian to me. If he declared himself Russian his injury would be blamed on him and he would have fallen 10-15 spots.
He had already made that declaration and played for Team USA prior to his injury.

06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
He had already made that declaration and played for Team USA prior to his injury.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment but there is definitely way more crap you gotta deal with if you're "Russian". Any NHL prospect that has the choice of declaring themselves "Russian" versus something else should declare the other one every time.

Closed Thread