HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ohio Blue Jackets

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 08:58 PM
  #1
Tom Morris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Billings,MT
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Ohio Blue Jackets

I have a cousin who lives in Dayton, Ohio. He said that the Columbus Blue Jackets are seriously considering changing their name to the Ohio Blue Jackets.

How soon is this expected to happen? Thanks!!

Tom Morris is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
  #2
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,338
vCash: 500
News to me. Also didn't realize the team was moving from Columbus to Ohio. If we knew when they were "going to do it" you would already know when.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:02 PM
  #3
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
My guess would be never.

You sure he has not mistaken the defunct USHL Ohio Jr Blue Jackets or the Ohio AAA Blue Jackets names as being something related to the Columbus Blue Jackets?



BTW I would be very unhappy if this every happened.

__________________
“@Aportzline: RT @skeezer1212: @Aportzline are you on record about if you think they should trade Nash, *Carter? / Not my place. Reporter, not columnist.”
1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:04 PM
  #4
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
The Jackets have done many dumb things in their existence, if they would do this, that would definitely top the list! There is no talk that I have heard of this happening.

Paisano* is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:24 PM
  #5
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,848
vCash: 500
I did a quick trademark search; there's nothing listed under "Ohio Blue Jackets" or any variation of such.

If a team is going to make any type of switch, whether in name, logos, wordmarks, or anything else, the new ones are filed months if not years in advance. The fact that there are no returns on this search would lead to believe that there's nothing coming up in the next year or two (at minimum).

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
  #6
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
I don't think they will but I also don't know if this would be a bad decision. They do market themselves as Ohio's team. Things like the Summer tour at various events and parades around Ohio. When I've gone to games there's generally people from all over Ohio in the stands. One of the last times I sat next to a amateur hockey referee from Toledo and a couple from Cincinnati behind me, some OSU grad students on the other side of me. Even the arena- there's Skyline Chili from Cincy area and Southwest Ohio and Tim Hortons from Northern Ohio. Columbus is the capital and centrally located so there's people from all over Ohio living in Columbus and ppl from the rest of the state can travel to Columbus easily.

A number of other teams have names that represent wider geographic areas and/or states:
Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders

sbkbghockey is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
  #7
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
No go away

joshjoshjosh is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:52 PM
  #8
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,242
vCash: 500
As long as they (or the arena) are getting money from the city of Columbus, I think they'll stay the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Crede777 is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
  #9
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
I don't think they will but I also don't know if this would be a bad decision. They do market themselves as Ohio's team. Things like the Summer tour at various events and parades around Ohio. When I've gone to games there's generally people from all over Ohio in the stands. One of the last times I sat next to a amateur hockey referee from Toledo and a couple from Cincinnati behind me, some OSU grad students on the other side of me. Even the arena- there's Skyline Chili from Cincy area and Southwest Ohio and Tim Hortons from Northern Ohio. Columbus is the capital and centrally located so there's people from all over Ohio living in Columbus and ppl from the rest of the state can travel to Columbus easily.

A number of other teams have names that represent wider geographic areas and/or states:
Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
In most of those cases, there was some type of prior precedent. The Carolina Panthers (NFL), Colorado Rockies (NHL), Minnesota Twins (MLB), Minnesota Timberwolves (NBA), Minnesota Vikings (NFL), and anything within an hour of NYC is "New York".

I'd imagine that New Jersey was picked because East Rutherford Devils is just awful. And Florida Panthers was because there was beginning to be a greater emphasis on critically endangered species, of which the Florida panther is one.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 10:08 PM
  #10
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,990
vCash: 500
ohiobluejackets.com was not registered. It is now... by someone who will make sure it NEVER gets used. LOL

leesmith is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
  #11
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
ohiobluejackets.com was not registered. It is now... by someone who will make sure it NEVER gets used. LOL
It's too good of a domain not to use. Suggested uses:

- A gathering place for CBJ fans across Ohio
- A general fan site, complete with original content
- A host domain for the debates between myself and Capn, for those who have a lot of time to kill. In keeping with both his avatar and the Bryan/Darrow nature of such debates, the winner of each will receive the Dr. Zaius award for finally making a monkey out of Troy McClure. (Yes, I was watching The Simpsons earlier)
- A site for hockey around the state, from AAA bantam to high school to the minor pro and NHL levels. I've been kicking around the idea of a new online hockey mag for a few months now anyway.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 11:44 PM
  #12
Hugg
Registered User
 
Hugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
That would go a long way to further cement the inferiority complex this city already suffers from.

Hugg is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 05:46 AM
  #13
DoggyII
Registered User
 
DoggyII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Peterborough, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
I lived in Cleveland for ten years..changing name to "Ohio" doesn't excite me and I doubt it would change the way hockey fans in the rest of the state perceive the team.

BTW, I believe Tim Horton's is owned by Wendy's, a Columbus company and I don't think there are any in the Cleveland area or Northern Ohio. As for Skyline Chili, don't they have locations all over Columbus? I highly doubt there are any advertisers in the building that don't have a presence in Columbus.

The Blue Jackets are Columbus' team...but that doesn't mean people from the rest of Ohio can't adopt them as their home team (like I did).

DoggyII is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 05:53 AM
  #14
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,583
vCash: 500
The Ohio Neon Mosquitoes was apparently taken?

kevinsane is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 06:22 AM
  #15
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morris View Post
I have a cousin who lives in Dayton, Ohio. He said that the Columbus Blue Jackets are seriously considering changing their name to the Ohio Blue Jackets.

How soon is this expected to happen? Thanks!!
It's not. Your cousin is either wrong, messing with you or you misunderstood.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 07:04 AM
  #16
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,614
vCash: 500
I wouldnt put it past them to get the revenue for having to buy new things saying Ohio instead of Columbus

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 07:24 AM
  #17
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I wouldnt put it past them to get the revenue for having to buy new things saying Ohio instead of Columbus
That was just done with the new 3rd jersey and they will be riding that for a few more years.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
  #18
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,338
vCash: 500
I don't see this happening. However to get this arena deal done, money was borrowed from the state. Unlikely that some politician would bother putting a name change around the loan, but politicians are odd creatures.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
  #19
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I don't see this happening. However to get this arena deal done, money was borrowed from the state. Unlikely that some politician would bother putting a name change around the loan, but politicians are odd creatures.
I had a similar thought, opposite result. Franklin County owns the Arena. Wouldn't they want the benefit of promoting their biggest city instead of the State generally? And the City of Anaheim did specify it when they refurbished the Pond--as fallout from the Angels debacle they wanted to make sure the name DIDN'T change.

So, for this reason amongst others, I don't see it happening.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
  #20
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I had a similar thought, opposite result. Franklin County owns the Arena. Wouldn't they want the benefit of promoting their biggest city instead of the State generally? And the City of Anaheim did specify it when they refurbished the Pond--as fallout from the Angels debacle they wanted to make sure the name DIDN'T change.

So, for this reason amongst others, I don't see it happening.
Yep, Franklin County wouldn't, at least I can't see a reason why. I doubt a State rep would push for it.

blahblah is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:33 AM
  #21
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Why stop at Ohio? Let's go with Nationwide Blue Jackets and become Americas team.

1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
  #22
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
A name change would suck.

JACKETfan is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:54 AM
  #23
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
I for one would welcome a name change under the theory that anything to confuse the Hockey gods would be a good thing.
-Go ahead and curse those nasty Columbus Blue Jackets; but those new guys the Ohio Blue Jackets? Hmmmm. Well let's give those guys a break or two.

Inquiring Minds is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM
  #24
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
That was just done with the new 3rd jersey and they will be riding that for a few more years.
Ohh that wouldnt stop them

BluejacketNut is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 10:25 AM
  #25
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
I'd have to punch someone in the nose if they starting chanting " O - H - I - O " at CBJ games.

Nordique is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.