HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ECQF Game #4: Rangers at Sens

Old
04-18-2012, 10:46 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Most teams would...except for Pittsburgh.

But that's what happens when your 2nd overall is probably the best 2nd overall in a long time, and your first overall was the best prospect in hockey in the last decade.
I said a quarter of their offense. There are plenty of teams that have that.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Guy, Game 1 aside, when the Senators put pressure, they put pressure. JT calls a time out Game 1, tide turns in favor for the Rangers.

Since? We look pathetic!

And something you omitted way back, I also despise his mixing-up the lines.
Ok buddy. When did u want the timeout... Because to me it was held, then used at the best time possible.

And how can u say I omitted anything? We were talking about timeouts and how I feel Torts is the best in the league at calling them. I never said he was good at juggling lines or not. Never was a part of the discussion.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Very good post, as was the one you quoted. Have to agree in full. The Rangers dump the puck in but have been awful at maintaining a cycle and generating consistent pressure.
And like the guy I quoted said, at the first sign of our cycle breaking in Ottawa's zone, our D are already back at the red line in the neutral zone. We generate no pressure because Torts is afraid to give up an odd man rush on Hank. All you need to do is backcheck hard and it's not an oddman rush. No reason we can't have the D-man on the strong side pinch while the weak side D retreats out of the zone slightly. It's not like we don't play a 3rd man high either. Just way too conservative in every facet of the game.

You almost have to play counter-intuitively against a fast team. You play conservative against fast teams on paper, and they know we like to do that -- we almost have to play aggressively and recklessly against a fast team in order to generate chances. Sure it might turn into back and forth slugfest trading chances but we have Hank and they have Anderson. I rather get into an offensive derby with Hank than with Anderson between the pipes.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Hey, it's the playoffs, we're playing a very good team and it's a very competitive series. I like our position a heck of a lot better than where some olther power teams are sitting right now. The Garden will be rocking on Saturday. That will help.
Us fans need to do a better job of keeping the guys going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averys SEC 405 View Post
Our last OT win. I was there in Sec. 405.

I was there too, possibly the best game post-lockout. Lundqvist made that acrobatic save with about a minute to go in the first OT where the whole arena thought Buffalo was about to take a 3-0 series lead

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Same thing could be said of Edmonton, but they still made it to the SCF.

Or the Flyers and Canadiens 2 years ago: #7 and #8 playing in the ECF with the Flyers heading to the SCF.
How often does that happen? The Habs looked like the Rangers against the Caps. Halak just stole that series. But that's the way it should be. An 8 seed stealing games from a 1 seed, not vice versa.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Ok buddy. When did u want the timeout... Because to me it was held, then used at the best time possible.

And how can u say I omitted anything? We were talking about timeouts and how I feel Torts is the best in the league at calling them. I never said he was good at juggling lines or not. Never was a part of the discussion.
Where was the time out during Game 2 or Game 3? There were none. We lost one and we won one, barely.

MY original post said that he has/is bad with calling time outs and he sucks with shuffling the lines.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I said a quarter of their offense. There are plenty of teams that have that.
Philly isn't coasting to a Cup either. And while they don't have as much firepower, I think they have the most offensive depth in the league. But this serious lack of offense needs to be addressed. I don't know how, but Nashville finished with more G/G than us in the reg. season, and I don't know if they have one true game changing forward.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
nyrfan519

Torts says he's encouraged. That's sickening. What footage was he watching while the game was going on?

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
MDL8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Torts says he's encouraged. That's sickening. What footage was he watching while the game was going on?
Wow. Very disheartening. He's obviously watching a different game then I am. This team has been outplayed since Game 1.

MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
How often does that happen? The Habs looked like the Rangers against the Caps. Halak has just stole that series. But that's the way it should be. An 8 seed stealing games from a 1 seed, not vice versa.
And you still have Edmonton and Philly. Even the Bruins are having a hard time against the Holtby lead Caps.

Or how about what LA is doing to Vancouver? Florida and the Devils?

Old
04-18-2012, 10:54 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Philly isn't coasting to a Cup either. And while they don't have as much firepower, I think they have the most offensive depth in the league. But this serious lack of offense needs to be addressed. I don't know how, but Nashville finished with more G/G than us in the reg. season, and I don't know if they have one true game changing forward.
Well I said if "we" had one quarter of the offense of the Pens. Philly's D and goaltending leave a lot to be desired.

Old
NikC

Quote:
i saw the presser and he's a bad liar. he's not fooling anyone. this team blew two games in this series. they can't put away teams. and i've got news for you... this defensive shell we're always falling into is a product of his system.

no excuse for not battling hard for that 3rd goal. Rangers are far too content just to put a shot on the net and finish their shift. no one wants to make a mistake on this team, and they're playing scared hockey.

safe has been death since Tortorella came to town.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dantes19

Quote:
The Senators are playing well, no doubt, but the Rangers could do their part to be a little less passive at times (and by "at times" I mean for 70% of the series). It's maddening to watch.

I agree with you. And is it just me or has the Rangers forecheck been extremely anemic thus far this series?

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:55 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDL8981 View Post
Wow. Very disheartening. He's obviously watching a different game then I am. This team has been outplayed since Game 1.
Talk about delusional team.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i saw the presser and he's a bad liar. he's not fooling anyone. this team blew two games in this series. they can't put away teams. and i've got news for you... this defensive shell we're always falling into is a product of his system.

no excuse for not battling hard for that 3rd goal. Rangers are far too content just to put a shot on the net and finish their shift. no one wants to make a mistake on this team, and they're playing scared hockey.

safe has been death since Tortorella came to town.
He should stick to his word. Playing not to lose is what ran Renney out of this town.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Fanned On It

We were great for the first 10 minutes of the game... sucked for the next 30 minutes... and played "serviceably" in the third. If we buried a couple of the chances we had, this game would've looked a lot different.

The one thing that killed us was our choice to not show up in the second period. It was disgusting and our guys looked GASSED after ONE period of hockey. Also, Kreider had another good chance that barely missed... I think if he nailed that one, we would've walked away with the win.

Not enough capitalization on good chances and WE REALLY NEED TO WORK ON BREAKING OUT OF OUR OWN ZONE!!!!! Right now, Ottawa is forechecking better than us.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Dantes19

Quote:

Yeah, what the **** is that? Encouraged by the PP in this game, maybe, but offensively they look awful, and the Sens seem to consistently set up permanent residence in the Rangers' zone.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Well I said if "we" had one quarter of the offense of the Pens. Philly's D and goaltending leave a lot to be desired.
Well technically, if you took the G/G of the Pens and divided it by 4, you'd get a minuscule number, which would still be lower than our G/G.

All I know is, Mr. Gatorade is going to have himself a nerve wracking summer...unless he harnesses the power of the Dubistache.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:58 PM
gaels22

we're playing with no jam - barely even hitting these guys on the forecheck. wish we had a legit energy line

gaels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Are you guys serious complaining about us losing Hagelin. You're almost as bad as the people on the main boards that say he's a scrub. He's a big part of the 1st line, but Ottawa is missing a guy named Daniel Alfredsson.
This is not a Hagelin type series. Guys who can hold on to the puck for those extra few seconds and handle the puck and work the boards and play with bursts are the skill guys who would shine in this series. Not Hagelin. Hagelin is like a lesser Gabby, a lot lesser.

Gaborik will be great in a different series say vs Philly if they make it to round 2.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:59 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
All I know is, Mr. Gatorade is going to have himself a nerve wracking summer...unless he harnesses the power of the Dubistache.
I actually think Dubinsky is doing more than Stepan. Stepan is the one who better wake-up. Outside of that nice shot that Anderson blocked Game 1, he's forgotten how to shoot or clear the puck.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
trilobyte

The Rangers will assert themselves in game 5 if they really want it.

This Senators team is not bad, I admit, and which I knew months ago. Some say this was a full effort from the Rangers. Interesting opinion, considering it was so underwhelming. Like working overtime in the excuses department.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaels22 View Post
we're playing with no jam - barely even hitting these guys on the forecheck. wish we had a legit energy line
Yep. Our supposed energy line was stuck in their own end consistently. (Feds-Boyle-Prust)

There was no hassle from this team at either end. They were beaten to pucks all over the ice.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Hank says, "...unfortunately we could not hold on."

THIS is the problem with this team. It's NOT about HOLDING ON. It's about continuing to attack. Stop letting these 8th-seeded ***** dictate play!
This. But unfortunately the Rangers don't have the guns to attack attack attack all game long. I hate to admit it but the loss of Hagelin's speed is really hurting this team. What's even worse about losing Hagelin is bonehead Tortorella's refusal to roll 4 lines and this team is exhausted. As it's been said before the series started, this is NOT a good matchup for the Rangers and it's shown in every game except Game 1 where Ottawa really didn't have their game together. A team that generates it's offense primarily through a deep 3 man forecheck is going to be in trouble against a quick puck moving team like Ottawa.

If we lose this series, which I can guarantee we'll win, I blame Sather for dropping a nice steaming deuce at the trade deadline and prior. And not for the reasons you all might think. I don't care about Nash and I know I'll get flamed for this.. but trading both Christensen AND Wolski for bags of pucks is what is going to do this team in, as stupid as it sounds. We're one injury to a key player away from getting schalacked. We're playing poor Chris Kreider on the 4th line for 3 minutes a game because we traded away all our forward depth. Lord have mercy if one of our key players gets seriously hurt.

What needs to happen in order for the Rangers to win this series:

-One of Callahan, Dubinsky, or Gaborik need to step the **** up.
-The Rangers need to physically dominate the Sens and establish a forecheck consistently
-Our D have to stop being afraid of making mistakes in our own end and make better breakout passes up ice. If I see Stralman or whoever take a slapshot around the boards one more time with little to no pressure I will lose my ****

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
SnowblindNYR

Can someone explain if I'm understanding our D correctly. We can defend the hell out of the net. 31 shots with the amount of zone time The Sens are getting is miraculous. Add to that most of those are actually pretty harmless. Our D and forwards just can't get the puck out of their zone and transitioned to the offensive. Am I right? I mean, is it as simple as that? Why can't we get out of our zone and go into the Sens' zone? What's our problem? I can't say we're defending poorly. If I were a Sens fan I'd be frustrated as hell (even in this game even though they won). They just can't get out of the defensive zone and move into the offensive zone and put any sort of pressure on the Sens.