HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 Plus/Minus: Penguins 10, Flyers 3

Old
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChipmunk View Post
10-3 = Paul Martin
Oh how I do love hockey math.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:20 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Dave Molinari ‏ @MolinariPG
The Cowardly Penguin has 17 goals, 24 assists in 26 career games in Philadelphia. Imagine if there was a little courage in his repertoire
Nice!

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WVU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
Poor guy. I'm looking for a video from Shanny with a dramatic injury announcing suspensions Kubina and Rinaldo. In my view, losing those two for a game or two hurts more than Grossman having a headache.
No way. Losing Grossman >>>>>>>>>>>Losing Kubina and Rinaldo

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
+ Geno getting on the board
+ Fleury finishing strong
+ Staal Increasing Trade Value with Hat Trick
+ Despres
+ No Martin
+ Pouring it on them, playing every shift like 1-0.

- Refs were better than last time but still bad. Cooke call putrid unless he said something really bad. Like egregiously unprofessionally bad. More likely they just booted him because he is Matt Cooke.

- Need to figure out a way to shut down that PP (assuming we won't be 100% successful at avoiding penalties as long as rag-dolls like Briere and Giroux are out there flailing around). Our PK was great all year. Need to adjust and make it great again. Had a couple good kills I think so that's a start.

- WBS playoff game Friday. **** us all sideways with a sledgehammer if Despres goes back and Martin is in.
I thought that Sid, Geno, and Staal ALL played tonight like it could be the last game they ever play together. Can't even put into words how proud I am of those three as a fan . . .

Old
04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏ @JoshYohe_Trib
Penguinss were very, very calm in locker room after game. Weren't in mood to celebrate. Looked like a team on a mission.
That's the state of mind they need to be in.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
- To the PK . . . maybe it wouldn't hurt to try Sid or Geno once in a while, because talent and anticipation can help to neutralize a well-oiled PP.
I wouldn't be averse to this. Something needs to change on the PK. Crosby and Malkin have both been quite good on the PK in the past (mostly under Therrien) and would keep the Flyers much more honest.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I thought that Sid, Geno, and Staal ALL played tonight like it could be the last game they ever play together. Can't even put into words how proud I am of those three as a fan . . .
So true... It was really awesome to see.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

When I read the score its a football score. LOL!

04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Oh and the PK just needs to start over. Just absolutely atrocious.
I'm putting Sid and Geno out on the PK. When a PP is masterfully executed like the Flyers PP is now, it's just a case of talent beating grinders. There's no skill to make that extra play, no anticipation out there from the PK forwards save Staal. That's why the Flyers use Giroux on the PK. Sid and Geno give you that talent. I'd be really interested to see if Bylsma has the balls to see that, and I'd give Phil Kessel's good nut to see Geno and Staal as a PK tandem. That said, it won't happen . . . there's a limit to my hopes for Bylsma to prove me wrong (IMO, he shot the proverbial adjustments load tonight ).

Old
04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

+Matty Niskanen. Injured and don't care. The goal which is now credited to Crosby really quieted the crowd after their quick 2 PPGs in the 1st

+PP, scored AND didn't let up any shorties!

+ Nice to see Staal

=Fleury had a rough start, but settled down and had some good saves, which in turn went down the other way and led to a few goals.

etc: Sully needs to use that shot a hell of a lot more often

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I wouldn't be averse to this. Something needs to change on the PK. Crosby and Malkin have both been quite good on the PK in the past (mostly under Therrien) and would keep the Flyers much more honest.
I just wrote that's why the Flyers use Giroux and other teams use stars on the PK. It not only keeps the PP more honest but demands a lot more precision when the PP goes for it with the riskier passes (because you're worried about the anticipation and skill of the penalty killers).

Old
04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
+ The pride that Sid, Geno, and Staal showed on the ice tonight. Loved every minute of it.

+ Dan Bylsma for (a) adjusting the PP, (b) using 11F/7D (which made line matching impossible and which forced Bylsma to use Sid, Geno, and Staal the right way for once), (c) adjusting the breakout (more support in zone, 'stretch pass or bust' became don't force anything, just wheel it back if nothing is there), (d) sticking with Tangradi after that bad first period pass in the offensive zone. I didn't see a 2 on 1 against, and I think there may have been maybe 3-4 3 on 2's.

+ Tangradi and Despres. If they don't dress on Friday (in a 11F/7D set up), then it's shame on Disco Dan for six weeks.

+ To the quiet guys for really stepping up their compete level. I'm talking Engo, Nisky, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Sully.

+ To TK for NOT being a spaz out there.

+ To Michalek . . . anyone who doesn't think he played an iron man type of game wasn't watching.

+ To the thought/hope that I've already seen Paul Martin's last game as a Penguin.

- To the PK . . . maybe it wouldn't hurt to try Sid or Geno once in a while, because talent and anticipation can help to neutralize a well-oiled PP.

+/- To Flower . . . obviously, he was ******** the bed again, but I thought after that one knuckle puck save in the second where he dropped way to early that he looked like the goalie who was stealing games for the Pens left and right.
Pretty much spot on ... and KIRK ... sit down ... I even agree with you on your point about Martin. I still think he is a good defenseman, just NOT on the Pens.

And not to sound like a broken record, but running 7D is the way to go for the rest of this series. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but if we do that and let Martin 'recover' for the next three games, I really feel like we'll move into the second round and leave the Floppers crying.

DegenX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
I'm putting Sid and Geno out on the PK. When a PP is masterfully executed like the Flyers PP is now, it's just a case of talent beating grinders. There's no skill to make that extra play, no anticipation out there from the PK forwards save Staal. That's why the Flyers use Giroux on the PK. Sid and Geno give you that talent. I'd be really interested to see if Bylsma has the balls to see that, and I'd give Phil Kessel's good nut to see Geno and Staal as a PK tandem. That said, it won't happen . . . there's a limit to my hopes for Bylsma to prove me wrong (IMO, he shot the proverbial adjustments load tonight ).
Not a bad idea. It forces the Flyers to be much more careful.

Though in hindsight, think about the Flyers PP goals. The first one was extremely fluky, the second was right after a 5 on 3 and the third was just a good goal anyway you slice it. You can't allow 3 goals on the PK, no question, so something has to change but the Flyers really have had a lot go their way on the PP.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:27 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU71 View Post
No way. Losing Grossman >>>>>>>>>>>Losing Kubina and Rinaldo
Kubina and Rinaldo bring physical play (more Rinaldo). Grossman hasn't been much of a factor at all during the series.

The only reason I'd like to see Rinaldo play is for the chance that we are likely to get some PP out of it. Other than that, I'll take the two healthy/physical players out as opposed to the one partially injured/mostly non-existent player.

Again, just my opinion.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:28 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
So true... It was really awesome to see.
I will say as awesome as that was, it was just as awesome to see what I saw tonight from Tangradi and Despres. Again, words don't do justice for what those two brought to the table tonight. As a fan, pure pride . . .

That said, as I wrote earlier, the 3-0 closeout is the toughest there is. You know Philly will step up their game. To wit, I'll just say this. When Geno is going and when Flower is on, I've always thought that anything is possible. Well, Geno is going (I think the 11F/7D helped with that). And, Flower after the midway point showed signs of being on. Still such a tough task, but, for me, there's a level of hope that I didn't have when the series was 2-0.

Old
Zirakzigil

vCash: 545
+ Despres - Played great, needs more minutes
+ Forwards - Great offensive game by all
+ Staal - Hatty was nice to see
+ No Martin - noff said

- Penalties - need to be more disciplined

I want to see the young guys next game. They played great and deserve it.

Zirakzigil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Illinest

If you're a Penguins fans then you have to find your hope in this:

If not for a missed call the first game of the series could easily have been a Pens victory - which would have made this a game to tie it at 2 rather than an elimination game.

But more than that - we go home for game 5. We can and should win that.
It could be 2-3 going into Philly for game 6. A brand new series and all we have to do is hold serve on Friday. One game at a time and build the fear in them.
Scoring ten goals today will help.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Kubina and Rinaldo bring physical play (more Rinaldo). Grossman hasn't been much of a factor at all during the series.

The only reason I'd like to see Rinaldo play is for the chance that we are likely to get some PP out of it. Other than that, I'll take the two healthy/physical players out as opposed to the one partially injured/mostly non-existent player.

Again, just my opinion.
Which series have you been watching. Losing Grossman is huge for the Flyers.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:30 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I agree. If you get Crosby and Malkin out there to kill penalties it might back off Philly's PP a bit as well and take some of their aggressiveness away.

There are plenty of other star players around the league that kill penalties.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
End of Line
Human After All

Does anyone have a video of what happened to Grossmann? Didn't see it...

Old
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
I agree that this could be a very effective strategy, the only problem is, there's always the concern looming overhead that one of your best players takes a puck off the ankle or worse.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
WVU71

Quote:

Again, just my opinion.
Well considering he plays on their top D pairing I am pretty sure he is more important to them than a 4th line penalty waiting to happen and the guy who was their 7th D-man to start the season. Grossman is not easy to play against. And I am sorry, but to say he has been non-existent this series just isn't true.

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Pretty much spot on ... and KIRK ... sit down ... I even agree with you on your point about Martin. I still think he is a good defenseman, just NOT on the Pens.

And not to sound like a broken record, but running 7D is the way to go for the rest of this series. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but if we do that and let Martin 'recover' for the next three games, I really feel like we'll move into the second round and leave the Floppers crying.
I did suggest 11F/7D after game three (before suspensions were known). As I said, you really can't match lines. You have to use Geno as a C sometimes and a W other times, which means you use your big three properly whether you like it or not. And, added thought, 11F/7D kind of forces you to get Geno out with the type of regularity that enhances the chances of his being into the flow of the game.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
clefty
What?

Well, if you're going to come back from 0-3, I can't think of a better way to start by putting a football score on your opponent.

Last year we were up 3-1 with all the momentum of a double OT win, then got sucker punched in a Game 5 blow out. We were shell shocked and didn't recover. Maybe something like that can happen for us this time? I don't know. We're trying to climb Everest, and have still only made a really sweet base camp.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
I'd give Phil Kessel's good nut to see Geno and Staal as a PK tandem.
I'd give Kessel's good (and only) nut for a lot of things. I actually have a picture of both before the bad one was taken out >>

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote