HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 Plus/Minus: Penguins 10, Flyers 3

Old
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
hctopcheds11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I will say as awesome as that was, it was just as awesome to see what I saw tonight from Tangradi and Despres. Again, words don't do justice for what those two brought to the table tonight. As a fan, pure pride . . .

That said, as I wrote earlier, the 3-0 closeout is the toughest there is. You know Philly will step up their game. To wit, I'll just say this. When Geno is going and when Flower is on, I've always thought that anything is possible. Well, Geno is going (I think the 11F/7D helped with that). And, Flower after the midway point showed signs of being on. Still such a tough task, but, for me, there's a level of hope that I didn't have when the series was 2-0.
I agree.

Sid is the constant on this team. You pretty much always know what you're getting. Geno and Flower are a little less so but are wildcards when they are on.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Does anyone have a video of what happened to Grossmann? Didn't see it...
Yeah I didn't either. I saw his knee go out again but I nothing to the head.

Crosby has 90 career playoff points. That's pretty impressive when you think how many playoff series he could have ahead of him if he stays healthy. If I was the Flyers I would hate him too.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:33 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I agree that this could be a very effective strategy, the only problem is, there's always the concern looming overhead that one of your best players takes a puck off the ankle or worse.
At this point, when it's lose or go home, I'd take that risk.

MrBurghundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WVU71

Quote:
Which series have you been watching. Losing Grossman is huge for the Flyers.
I agree. That is my whole point. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise.

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
I agree that this could be a very effective strategy, the only problem is, there's always the concern looming overhead that one of your best players takes a puck off the ankle or worse.
Always a concern. The PK blows. The Flyers PP is just moving the puck too well. One more game with 3 PP goals against might be the last of the season. IMO, it's desperation time, and that's when you lay it all on the line and play AND coach every game like it's your last.

EDIT: It's a lot harder, IMO, to pass at will when, for example, it's a tandem of Staal and Geno out there. Good lord, how scared would you be about passing through the box or getting caught against those two?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
vodeni

one thing I am sure no one cares for, but I was really paying attention to lose pucks, was driving me nuts in the last three games how they would always bounce to their sticks, not tonight, the bounce of the wall, blind passes back to your third guy, flower's rebounds, tonight those biscuits were going straight back to Pens, whether its a luck or effort, don't care as long as it works.
and it helps when all of a sudden Flower seems to regain a little bit of confidence, although I am holding my breath....

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Jacob

I like Matt Niskanen.

I hate Paul Martin.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Dylonus

+ whether we win game 5 or not, this game was a huge moral boost for the entire organization. We didn't stoop to their level. We played aggressive, smart Penguins hockey. None of this bush league ********. It also stopped a potential meltdown of the franchise

+ No Paul Martin

- Why can't we win every game like this

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:38 PM
TheSniper26

Quote:
Always a concern. The PK blows. The Flyers PP is just moving the puck too well. One more game with 3 PP goals against might be the last of the season. IMO, it's desperation time, and that's when you lay it all on the line and play AND coach every game like it's your last.

EDIT: It's a lot harder, IMO, to pass at will when, for example, it's a tandem of Staal and Geno out there. Good lord, how scared would you be about passing through the box or getting caught against those two?
Oh I don't disagree with you at all. Just playing devil's advocate a bit. What you're suggesting, while possibly a great strategy, has the potential to deliver a huge blow to the team. So while it might make sense, I have my doubts that it'll be something they do.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

It's been evident that Philadelphia will be in trouble when they come up against a good goaltender. If Fleury can start playing like he is able, then great. Still, winning 3 more in a row, even if everyone is performing, is going to take some luck.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:39 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU71 View Post
Well considering he plays on their top D pairing I am pretty sure he is more important to them than a 4th line penalty waiting to happen and the guy who was their 7th D-man to start the season. Grossman is not easy to play against. And I am sorry, but to say he has been non-existent this series just isn't true.
Have you seen the scores of the games in the series? There's not a defenseman in this series that's been a factor on the defensive side of the puck. On the offensive side, he has 1 point I believe. Grossman is also just off an injury.

Did you watch game 3? Rinaldo starts sh**. He could easily get us back to Asham type play and throw us off our game. Kubina, although a bottom pair, is a stanley cup winner with tons of experience.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Oh I don't disagree with you at all. Just playing devil's advocate a bit. What you're suggesting, while possibly a great strategy, has the potential to deliver a huge blow to the team. So while it might make sense, I have my doubts that it'll be something they do.
Like I said, there are PLENTY of teams that use their star players to kill penalties. Hell even Philly uses Giroux...

MrBurghundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:40 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Our PK still blows though.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:41 PM
hctopcheds11

Not enough love for Niskanen in here. He was huge for us and had a great finish on the PP. Guys playing through pain and playing how Martin SHOULD be playing for us.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
It's been evident that Philadelphia will be in trouble when they come up against a good goaltender. If Fleury can start playing like he is able, then great. Still, winning 3 more in a row, even if everyone is performing, is going to take some luck.
He took some baby steps tonight, IMO. Will be really interested to see what he shows on Friday. If tonight was a turning of the tide, then a very small chance improves to small. But, it's out of such improvements that hope is born.

Old
WVU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
Have you seen the scores of the games in the series? There's not a defenseman in this series that's been a factor on the defensive side of the puck. On the offensive side, he has 1 point I believe. Grossman is also just off an injury.

Did you watch game 3? Rinaldo starts sh**. He could easily get us back to Asham type play and throw us off our game. Kubina, although a bottom pair, is a stanley cup winner with tons of experience.
Why would you want someone who continues to give us PP's to not play??

WVU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FDBluth

Another + was Michalek on that 5 on 3 until Fleury let that shot go through him. That was an incredible display of defending.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Not enough love for Niskanen in here. He was huge for us and had a great finish on the PP. Guys playing through pain and playing how Martin SHOULD be playing for us.
Nisky is a profile in courage, period.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Another + was Michalek on that 5 on 3 until Fleury let that shot go through him. That was an incredible display of defending.
Aside from the Pens 4-1 win in January at MSG, I think this was Michalek's finest game of the season. He played like a ******* warrior tonight.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
LIPensFan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU71 View Post
Why would you want someone who continues to give us PP's to not play??
Because I don't want game 5 to turn into game 3. I'd rather play 5 on 5 the entire game if it were an option.

We don't need PP to win. We just need to stay out of the box! If we get PP, good. If not, Fine. Rinaldo is out there
to draw us into the box.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

-Apparently being named Matt Cooke is reason enough to get tossed.

eXile59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

+We finally pulled off a win
-The win is after we are down 0-3 in the series
+Crosby looked great. Some sick stick handling in the offensive zone. good puck control.
+The defense looked great overall. Yeah, a few went through, but there was this effort thing I could sense today that hasn't be present yet in the playoffs
+No Martin
+Geno, Staal, and Crosby got some points
+MAF had a few good saves and hopefully this will carry over to game 5
-VERY worried Dan will put Martin back in in game 5
+We made their goalies look like swiss cheese out there
+ / - Still have lots of hope for this team

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
HuskerTornado
Jobu Needs Rum

+ Pulling out the "retired" hat I bought during the 08-09 season and wore through the cup win for the first time since June of 2009 worked. It has now been deemed "Lucky"

If the Pens go on to win the series, I will have it bronzed.

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:52 PM
MtlPenFan

Not that I'm the only one seeing it, but Nisky just fits, and whatever happened to him in Dallas, he's figured it out. He's RFA and a value one at that. If he has to be let go over Paul Martin next year, I'm going to bust a nut.

Good call on the stretch pass, or lack of it, and you almost wonder if some coaches - including DB who seems humble as hell - really need to be literally pushed to a 3-0 brink before changing things around. The breakout 5 on 5 sometimes looked like a PP breakout, and I admit it made me smile a little.

What I learned today is that Michalek is definitely salvageable, and that Orpik NEEDS to be paired with Letang to look like a competent D-man.

I might have to do another "Dear Dan" thread regarding keeping the same lineup (except for adding Neal of course) Let Martin take the rest of the playoffs trying to clean the sand out of his @#%@^.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post

Valid points and as for wins, I'll take 'em any way we can get 'em.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote