HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I never understood NTC..
Not sure why anybody would want to remain on a team that is trying to move you.

I do get the fact a player might want to stay out west or whatever, so they should be called trade clauses instead. Just give the list of teams you'd be willing to go to, and leave it at that.
Because a GM cannot even theoretically have intense trade talks even with someone with a NTC, because any progress they make has to be relayed to the player with the NTC in question. It is an added burden to getting traded.

For the not wanting to stay on a team that is trying to trade you; well, when he signed that contract he was making a commitment to the team, and vice versa. From all accounts, Luongo is happy in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
That's why I think Tampa makes sense. The contract is long but the hit is not bad. There would be less pressure on him and he played in Florida before.

If people wish for Toronto to make a dumb move and go for a massive contract on an underperfoming player, they should hope they trade for Bryz.

I'm betting Holmgrem finds a way to dump him if the Flyers don't win another round.
I don't think Tampa makes sense at all. Just because they need a goalie does not mean they would want to trade for Luongo, quite the opposite in fact. Tampa doesn't have a great deal of cash flow, and the Lecavalier contract already ties them down big time; why would they want to add another 10+ year contract to a player that is on the downside of his career?

There is no a hope in hell Holmgren can dump Bryz. That contract is an absolute joke.

---------------

This is why giving out huge contracts to goalies is an asinine concept. They already have little value, why make them potentially unmovable by giving them absurd contracts? Especially if the goalie is a free agent, because goalies are notorious for having up and down careers.

If I was a GM there is no way I would sign a goalie to a contract a day longer than 5 years.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Luongo does not seem very movable to me. Not only does he have a crappy contract, but he also has a NTC. Not only are there only a couple plausible teams that could theoretically want him, he would have to want to go there himself.
I'm been hoping for toronto to trade for him for a few months now. Match made in heaven.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
From all accounts, Luongo is happy in Vancouver.
We'll see if that changes in the next few weeks. I don't know about you but I was very impressed with Schneider. Not just the way he played, but also the way he speaks confidently to the media. The pressure to play him more next year is going to be tremendous.

Quote:
There is no a hope in hell Holmgren can dump Bryz. That contract is an absolute joke.
Never say that when it comes to Holmgrem. The guy is the most aggressive GM in the league. He will not sit and do nothing about an asset that is not performing to the amount of money invested in.

Unlike the Habs with Gomez...

Old
04-23-2012, 01:05 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
How a guy who is not wanted by his current team and team's fans, could WANT to stay there ?

Easy.

To us, its entertainment. To a NHL player, its a business and his livliehood. Doubt seriously that any NHL player really cares about what the fans think.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:11 PM
guest1467

Quote:
We'll see if that changes in the next few weeks. I don't know about you but I was very impressed with Schneider. Not just the way he played, but also the way he speaks confidently to the media. The pressure to play him more next year is going to be tremendous.
If I had to wager, they will trade Schneider.

Quote:
Never say that when it comes to Holmgrem. The guy is the most aggressive GM in the league. He will not sit and do nothing about an asset that is not performing to the amount of money invested in.

Unlike the Habs with Gomez...
Being aggressive has nothing to do with being able to move a sub-par goaltender that has a fresh 10 year contract with huge money tied down.

I mean, honestly, who the hell would want that? It takes two teams to make a trade, not one.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Time to throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks. Kings vs. Flyers in the Cup Finals. Kings win. Canucks can start cooking up the conspiracy theories again.
If it's Kings vs. Flyers, the Kings would win. Quick would be the difference. I don't think Philly makes it past the Rangers if they meet.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
I mean, honestly, who the hell would want that? It takes two teams to make a trade, not one.
You need to find a Gainey or PG to make such a trade happen.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If it's Kings vs. Flyers, the Kings would win. Quick would be the difference. I don't think Philly makes it past the Rangers if they meet.
Rangers are a very average team that backed by arguably the best goaltender in the world.

I thought the Sens were a bad matchup for the Rangers in the 1st round, I fully expected the Sens to win or at least give him a hard time.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Rangers are a very average team that backed by arguably the best goaltender in the world.
I thought the Sens were a bad matchup for the Rangers in the 1st round, I fully expected the Sens to win or at least give him a hard time.
I completely agree. But they are good enough to score on Bryz who is not a good goalie. I think goaltending would be the difference in that series.

Then again, I thought it would be the difference for Pittsburgh too so...

Old
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I completely agree. But they are good enough to score on Bryz who is not a good goalie. I think goaltending would be the difference in that series.

Then again, I thought it would be the difference for Pittsburgh too so...
I think that's even debateable...Richards/Gaborik have a few points in their series vs. the Sens, but they've been invisible.

Personally, i think Brad Richards was one of the worst UFA signings of the past summer...

Old
04-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think that's even debateable...Richards/Gaborik have a few points in their series vs. the Sens, but they've been invisible.

Personally, i think Brad Richards was one of the worst UFA signings of the past summer...
I'm not a huge fan of big name FA signings. They don't pan out nearly as often as you'd think they would. Not sure why that is but all too often those big names don't live up to the big contracts that they're offered.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of big name FA signings. They don't pan out nearly as often as you'd think they would. Not sure why that is but all too often those big names don't live up to the big contracts that they're offered.
Depends on the player, Cole did great for us this season

This coming year for example, i'd be all over Suter and Parise

Old
04-23-2012, 02:44 PM
habitue*

I didn't mind much about the Pens and Canucks eliminations, but I am mad that Washington was unable to eliminate the Bruins. Now i have that bad feeling that the Bruins will eliminate Wash and advance quite easily to the SC Finals.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I didn't mind much about the Pens and Canucks eliminations, but I am mad that Washington was unable to eliminate the Bruins. Now i have that bad feeling that the Bruins will eliminate Wash and advance quite easily to the SC Finals.
If Ottawa wins tonight and the Bruins win Wednesday, I agree it's really wide open for them to get back to the SCF

Old
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Depends on the player, Cole did great for us this season

This coming year for example, i'd be all over Suter and Parise
Suter yes. Parise? I don't trust that he'll be worth the money.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Suter yes. Parise? I don't trust that he'll be worth the money.
I looked it up the other day, and interestingly, Semin has superior career stats to Parise for both goals and assists, in spite of having started his NHL career at a younger age. He is also 3 inches taller.

I am in favor of signing Semin over Parise. There's a lot of racism against Russians (they're lazy !!! they float !!! they don't want the cup !!!) and so we should be able to get him at a discount. Parise, on the other hand, is considered a consistent hard worker with intangible leadership skills, and thus will come at a premium.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

I would rather give Parise the moon on the FAs market and losing no asset than trading our 3rd overall pick for a guy like Nash..

Old
04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I looked it up the other day, and interestingly, Semin has superior career stats to Parise for both goals and assists, in spite of having started his NHL career at a younger age. He is also 3 inches taller.

I am in favor of signing Semin over Parise. There's a lot of racism against Russians (they're lazy !!! they float !!! they don't want the cup !!!) and so we should be able to get him at a discount. Parise, on the other hand, is considered a consistent hard worker with intangible leadership skills, and thus will come at a premium.

I've been saying that for a while. Semin has huge upside and can probably be signed at a discount. His playoff stats are better than his reputation. He just needs a fresh start.

We've got Markov, Emelin and possibly another Russian high pick to help him integrate with the team. Only two caveats: (1) he needs to be signed for the right price; (2) as long as he's a good fit with the new GM+coach combo.

Old
04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Sorry but watching Semin play, he leaves a lot to be desired. Career stats really don't tell any of the story when comparing Parise and Semin. Parise is a driven type player. Semin is more casual in his style. Personally I want a player that gives it his all more then someone who knows his talents and relies on them.

It's odd how they share almost identical numbers in the playoffs, this year and in their careers... Maybe I'm wrong lol

Old
04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Et le But

The only reason to want Semin over Parise is price. I want Semin, but I think he priced his way out of our range with his playoff performance.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The only reason to want Semin over Parise is price. I want Semin, but I think he priced his way out of our range with his playoff performance.
Did he? It's not like he's competing with Giroux right now. Plus, he's got one more game and his season is over.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Did he? It's not like he's competing with Giroux right now. Plus, he's got one more game and his season is over.
Well it's too small a sample size to change much, but he competed hard and showed he can be knocked around in the playoffs, I can see some desperate team paying him even more than before.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:13 PM
JackZap

dont want Semin. we need a solid D guy

Old
04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Muminek

Quote:
He was awesome last season + playoffs. I just want to see consistency. He'll get there with maturity.

Also, clutch has nothing to do with stats. Curtis Joseph had average season stats but he was Mr Clutch in the playoffs. Roy would also let a couple of softies in early in the game but he would shut the door completely in the last ten minutes of the 3rd and OT. That's my definition of clutch.
And that`s the logic I absolutely don`t understand. If you`re letting in softies in a game, especially a PO game, you`re a lousy goaltender and nothing more. With how many allowed soft goals does the clutchness kick in, 2, 3 or more? If a goalie lets in weak goals and then shuts the door in OT then he`s simply trying to straighten out a mess of his own doing. This is Fleury style clutchness, first **** the bed and then hope your team bails you out with their scoring, so you can be "clutch".

/end rant

Old
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
dont want Semin. we need a solid D guy
We need both but we're not getting anything until we dump that boat anchor of a contract that is Gomez.

Closed Thread