HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Playoff Discussion Thread VIII - Second Round Match-ups Set

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2012, 12:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
For me it's consistency.

Weber bangs Zetterberg's head into the glass and gets a fine. Neal hits Couturier, which isn't as bad but still somewhat similar, and gets a game. Neal has been suspended before. Backstrom gets a game for a cross check.

The guy went from one end of the spectrum to another awfully quickly.

The director of player discipline needs to be consistent.
Torres's case is different from the others as he has been suspended and fined for very similar dirty hits before. The only other case that this really can be compared to is Sutton who is also a repeat offender for head hits. Sutton got 8 games last time and I am sure he will get a lot more next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
what would weber have to do to get 25 games?

If what he did was $2,500....then he would have to kill multiple players, and maybe a fan, on the same shift to get what Raffi got.

On its own, the Torres hit did not warrant 25 games. That's ridiculous. However, Shanny dropped the ball earlier and is too scared of banning stars, so Torres got the brunt of it.
I am sure that if Weber would have been suspended and fined multiple times for similar offenses then he would have received a harsher supplementary discipline.

You are right on its own Torres' hit did not deserve a 25 game suspension. But if you take into account. like Shanny does, he multiple repeat offender predatory head hits then it is.

I am sure that the 6th time that Weber slamms a guys head into the glass he will get a major suspension. Just like it took umpteen times for Raffi to get a huge suspension for hits like this one.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Kyle McMahon

After getting off lightly repeatedly, Torres needed to have the book thrown at him. This is exactly like the Matt Cooke suspension last year. You have a player who clearly is not deterred by small fines and suspensions, and eventually you have to boot him out for a long time and hope the message finally sinks in.

Hopefully nobody will sign him next year. Good riddance to this piece of trash.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I have less of a problem with this penalty than others this playoff season. Still, I think there needs to be a board consisting of a cross between league, union, reffing (?) and an outside party. Hope this is a CBA topic this year.

p.s. Raffi is signed next year with the Coyotes.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Raffi Torres: 25 game suspension!

wat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Thats probably close to what Sutton will get if he gets suspended for charging/headshot next season.
lol

Thomas let in a stinker to put the Bruins down 3-2. I called the Caps pulling the upset in round one, lets see if they can finish it of in Washington.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Philly85
Moody'

you mean let a stinker in to put them down 4-3. Holtby is a stud, made a few 10 bell saves. I like the Bruins after they beat The Canadian Diving Team last year in the SCF, and I will always be thankful to them for that but I would not mind one bit if the Caps pull the upset and win the series. They have a ton of character on their team, lots of good players and their grit, depth is showing through. Very resilient group.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
you mean let a stinker in to put them down 4-3. Holtby is a stud, made a few 10 bell saves. I like the Bruins after they beat The Canadian Diving Team last year in the SCF, and I will always be thankful to them for that but I would not mind one bit if the Caps pull the upset and win the series. They have a ton of character on their team, lots of good players and their grit, depth is showing through. Very resilient group.
I'm talking about the series, not the score.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:45 PM
ales83fan

I've said it: my teams are wash, ottawa, LA, and philly. (also cheering for NJ). So hopefully all of them can advance.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:48 PM
dnicks17

I traded MA Pouliot for Holtby in my keeper league a couple of offseasons ago.

Feeling pretty good about that trade right now haha.

Old
04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Holy kefurffle did stone and spezza combine?!??!

Old
04-21-2012, 06:34 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Holy kefurffle did stone and spezza combine?!??!
Spezza has crust?

Old
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Did you guys see that pass by stone to spezza? Amazing

Old
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
Did you guys see that pass by stone to spezza? Amazing
This team isn't even good yet. Zibenajed's coming, the other Swedish guy who broke Alfredsson's playoff record and is one of the best players outside of the NHL's coming, and Turris/Karlsson are only going to get better. And Mark Stone? That's illegal.

Kinda makes you wish the Oilers had some youth.

Old
04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
This team isn't even good yet. Zibenajed's coming, the other Swedish guy who broke Alfredsson's playoff record and is one of the best players outside of the NHL's coming, and Turris/Karlsson are only going to get better. And Mark Stone? That's illegal.

Kinda makes you wish the Oilers had some youth.
Zibanejad has a concussion, which I believe is his second of his young career. He looks like a solid player for the future, but these head injuries have to be worrisome for them.

Ben Bishop should get better as well, and Lehner is in the system, too. Karlsson should get better defensively, and Cowen will grow into a more consistent shut down defender.

I think they'll be a great team, but I wonder if they've taken off too early and won't have the horses to get them into the upper echelons of the league. We shall see. They sure look great at the moment.

Old
04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Zibanejad has a concussion, which I believe is his second of his young career. He looks like a solid player for the future, but these head injuries have to be worrisome for them.

Ben Bishop should get better as well, and Lehner is in the system, too. Karlsson should get better defensively, and Cowen will grow into a more consistent shut down defender.

I think they'll be a great team, but I wonder if they've taken off too early and won't have the horses to get them into the upper echelons of the league. We shall see. They sure look great at the moment.
haha what does that mean, "took off too early." What are you suppose to do? Lose on purpose. They got into the playoffs by winning, and now they might just win a series against the first seed.

Old
04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
haha what does that mean, "took off too early." What are you suppose to do? Lose on purpose. They got into the playoffs by winning, and now they might just win a series against the first seed.
Isn't that what the Oilers are doing?

Old
04-21-2012, 09:00 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Isn't that what the Oilers are doing?

Clearly our losing is strategic.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Window is officially closed for San Jose. Hopefully the Oilers can get some pieces off them for cheap.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:21 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Poor choice of words.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Last time both #1 seed's are on the brink of elimination in the 1st round?

Tremendous parity.

04-21-2012, 09:27 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Window is officially closed for San Jose. Hopefully the Oilers can get some pieces off them for cheap.
they're done. And it's not because of Jumbo Joe. He was the only guy going all series.

Sucks for them. They can still demolish the Oilers during the regular season though.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:27 PM
ales83fan

Quote:
Poor choice of words.
haha I know. Don't sweat it

Old
04-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Joe Pavelski hasn't scored in the series yet.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

There hasn't been official word on Zibby's injury but we're all hoping it's precautionary. Either way, sit him out for the summer and he should heal up.

Anyway, I'd agree that we're looking great now but could easily take a tumble. A good chunk of the roster has been through an AHL Calder Cup grind and now an NHL grind, not a lot of time to rest and recover. We'll see.

All that said, Edmonton's got a great future too, I'd like to see us bring in some puck-movers to enhance the breakout given our strength is our young forwards. I think that's a huge part of Ottawa's success (the breakout through the backend).

Mind you we're also always hit by injuries in Edmonton to our star players, so hopefully we finally get some healthy years from everyone.

04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Rangers are nothing. Losing to the lowly Ottawa Senators who were piss poor in the backhalf this season.

Funny thing is theres not one playoff team in the WC that the Rangers would beat.

Regular season lions going out in a blaze of glory.

Anybody still want Tortorella? lol.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Tell us again how Phoenix are playing amazing hockey. They managed a whopping 3 shots on goal that period.

Closed Thread