HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears Thread #7 - Forte signs 4 yr deal

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 12:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Good, hope it's not for too much, but would rather have him locked down than it up in the air.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:51 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

vCash: 500

Old
07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
madgoat33

4yrs 32mil. Wonder what the guarantee is. I'm thinking around 21

Old
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Meh. Could be worse.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Forte + Bush should be fun duo to watch

Old
07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Pepe Silvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Forte + Bush should be fun duo to watch
+ bell

the bears backfield is gonna be sick

Old
07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Glad Forte is back, now with him, Marshall and Jefferies this could be a dangerous offense for the first time in I can't remember.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Rice just signed for 5 years and $40M, $25M guaranteed. Gotta keep in mind, he's a bit smaller, and hash had 400+ each of the last 3 years.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Forte really lowered his demands. Good to hear this.

Forte + Bush + Bell?? can't do better than this

Old
07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Recoil

So the full terms of the deal (I don't see it referenced above) is 4 years, about $32M and $18M guaranteed. It also sounds like about $8M in Year 1 of the deal. My thoughts are that this is both a good deal for the Bears and for Forte, even if its not as much as he may have wanted.

The Bears offered around $15M guaranteed, and Forte wanted around $20M, so both sides met in the middle (in fact, a bit on Forte's side). While Forte probably wanted a 5 year deal like some of the other recent RB signing, this deal makes sense for both sides.

For the Bears, they are about to be in a bigtime salary cap crunch in 2013/2014 and will need to restructure some deals. This year they only have about $3M left in cap space. They don't have the money to throw around and front load this deal with some other contract extensions coming up in the next couple years, and with some of the current contracts going up in base pay. I'm assuming for now, that Forte's deal is rather flat, allowing for a better consistent cap hit and, if they decide to release him after 2-3 seasons, it will help their cap situation later. However, they could keep him and not worry about a hit more than $8m per which is desirable.

For Forte, he got close to the amount of guaranteed money he wanted. And, assuming he stays employed by the Bears for more than two seasons, should get to where he wants to be. While he may have wanted 5 years, having a 4 year deal means he will be still (barely) under 30 when this deal runs out, perhaps giving him a bit better deal on a 2 year deal from the Bears or some future team as a Free Agent, as opposed to being 31 and trying to garner interest. This may mean he gets one small decent payday at the end of his career, and may work out better for him in the long run.

When you compare this to the deal Ray Rice just signed (5 years, $40M, $25 in the first two years!!) the average comes out the same, but Rice's deal is WAY front-loaded, with $25M coming in the first two years, $9M in Year 3, then only $6M total in Years 4 and 5. He got PAID and his deal is really front loaded. However, he won't be making much his last two seasons (although he could always hold out for a new deal like everyone tries to do these days), and it's not like front loading a contract like that was an option for the Bears with their cap situation.

All and all, good deal for both sides. Both sides gave up a little, but Forte will be at camp, and the Bears can focus on football. That's the best news there is.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
So the full terms of the deal (I don't see it referenced above) is 4 years, about $32M and $18M guaranteed. It also sounds like about $8M in Year 1 of the deal. My thoughts are that this is both a good deal for the Bears and for Forte, even if its not as much as he may have wanted.

The Bears offered around $15M guaranteed, and Forte wanted around $20M, so both sides met in the middle (in fact, a bit on Forte's side). While Forte probably wanted a 5 year deal like some of the other recent RB signing, this deal makes sense for both sides.

For the Bears, they are about to be in a bigtime salary cap crunch in 2013/2014 and will need to restructure some deals. This year they only have about $3M left in cap space. They don't have the money to throw around and front load this deal with some other contract extensions coming up in the next couple years, and with some of the current contracts going up in base pay. I'm assuming for now, that Forte's deal is rather flat, allowing for a better consistent cap hit and, if they decide to release him after 2-3 seasons, it will help their cap situation later. However, they could keep him and not worry about a hit more than $8m per which is desirable.

For Forte, he got close to the amount of guaranteed money he wanted. And, assuming he stays employed by the Bears for more than two seasons, should get to where he wants to be. While he may have wanted 5 years, having a 4 year deal means he will be still (barely) under 30 when this deal runs out, perhaps giving him a bit better deal on a 2 year deal from the Bears or some future team as a Free Agent, as opposed to being 31 and trying to garner interest. This may mean he gets one small decent payday at the end of his career, and may work out better for him in the long run.

When you compare this to the deal Ray Rice just signed (5 years, $40M, $25 in the first two years!!) the average comes out the same, but Rice's deal is WAY front-loaded, with $25M coming in the first two years, $9M in Year 3, then only $6M total in Years 4 and 5. He got PAID and his deal is really front loaded. However, he won't be making much his last two seasons (although he could always hold out for a new deal like everyone tries to do these days), and it's not like front loading a contract like that was an option for the Bears with their cap situation.

All and all, good deal for both sides. Both sides gave up a little, but Forte will be at camp, and the Bears can focus on football. That's the best news there is.
I have no qualms about this at all. I was just hoping against hope they wouldn't give him a CJ deal, and they didn't. Good deal for both sides IMO, though i wouldn't be surprised if forte held out again in 2 years.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Awesome signing. Good to see Forte quit whining and sign the contract. Bring on training camp.

Old
07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Cullksinikers

Your Bears are starting to look good. If health is on your side, I could definitely see you guys in the playoffs.

Old
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Your Bears are starting to look good. If health is on your side, I could definitely see you guys in the playoffs.

Playoffs are all but guaranteed unless cutler gets injured. Its just a matter of how they do in them.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post

Playoffs are all but guaranteed unless cutler gets injured. Its just a matter of how they do in them.
The playoffs for the Bears depend on a few things.

San Francisco is a lock to win the NFC West as long as they aren't the biggest pretender ever, Green Bay will probably win the NFC North, and the NFC South is where it is interesting. New Orleans is obviously a good team. How will the distractions, suspended players, and lack of Payton hurt them? Does this allow Atlanta to win the division? The NFC East is also interesting. Can Philadelphia bounce back? Is Dallas' defensive improvements enough to get them in? Can New York not collapse in the regular season after winning the Super Bowl again?

Playoff contenders:

NFC North: GB, DET, CHI
NFC East: NYG, PHI, DAL
NFC South: ATL, NO
NFC West: SF

Three solid teams aren't getting into the dance this year. If you forced me to pick who those teams would be, I would probably have to say New Orleans, Dallas, and Philadelphia. I really, really think the Bears are going to be fighting until the last day for a Wild Card spot.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:00 AM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Quote:

San Francisco is a lock to win the NFC West as long as they aren't the biggest pretender ever, Green Bay will probably win the NFC North, and the NFC South is where it is interesting. New Orleans is obviously a good team. How will the distractions, suspended players, and lack of Payton hurt them? Does this allow Atlanta to win the division? The NFC East is also interesting. Can Philadelphia bounce back? Is Dallas' defensive improvements enough to get them in? Can New York not collapse in the regular season after winning the Super Bowl again?

Playoff contenders:

Three solid teams aren't getting into the dance this year. If you forced me to pick who those teams would be, I would probably have to say New Orleans, Dallas, and Philadelphia. I really, really think the Bears are going to be fighting until the last day for a Wild Card spot.
I'd say GB, CHI, SF, DAL, and ATL are my playoff teams right now. NO probably getting that last spot.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

The Bears are too good to need to fight for a Wildcard spot. They were on pace to be an 11-5 or 10-6 team last year if Cutler doesn't suffer the fluke injury.
Fortunately management was intelligent and got a very good backup in case that happens again.

Actually, that makes me realize the incredible trouble Green Bay is in if Rodgers sustains any sort of injury. I realize that holds true to an extent for pretty much any team, but they really don't have a backup.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
The Bears are too good to need to fight for a Wildcard spot. They were on pace to be an 11-5 or 10-6 team last year if Cutler doesn't suffer the fluke injury.
Fortunately management was intelligent and got a very good backup in case that happens again.

Actually, that makes me realize the incredible trouble Green Bay is in if Rodgers sustains any sort of injury. I realize that holds true to an extent for pretty much any team, but they really don't have a backup.
Also, the Bears schedule is sort of weak this season IMO. While I'm no longer convinced Green Bay is an "automatic" for the division title, I'm pretty sure the Bears schedule will allow them to at least get one of the two Wild Card spots.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:

Playoff contenders:

Assuming everyone stays healthy, I think Chicago has a fair shot of winning the NFC North.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

It is starting to sound as though we will pursue a veteran QB if Harrell doesn't impress.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Cullksinikers

Very pumped to watch the NFC this year.

You've got nine teams gunning for six spots.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

when healthy, Bears are going to win the Division. Already put some money on it

Old
07-17-2012, 06:37 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Cullk, I will bet you as much money as you want to bet that the Bears make the playoffs. The Bears were 7-3 last year before all injuries and had one of the hardest opening (5-6 weeks maybe) schedule of any team. Without Forte and Cutler going down, they were cruising into the playoffs.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:52 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I still think that Detroit's going to have a down year and won't make the playoffs this time around.

As of right now, this is what I'm expecting....

NFC North - Green Bay Packers
NFC East - New York Giants
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons
NFC West - San Francisco 49ers
NFC Wild Cards - Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints

AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC East - New England Patriots
AFC South - Houston Texans
AFC West - Denver Broncos
AFC Wild Cards - Baltimore Ravens and San Diego Chargers

And the 49ers are my way to early too predict Super Bowl champs prediction.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-17-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: totoo
Old
07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I agree Bears make wild card easy. If their offense clicks, they could even win the division.

Argument with a coworker who's a lions fan, so I'd like to hear your opinions. Who finishes with a better record, Bears or Lions (biases aside). Deciding how much money to bet on the Bears.

Closed Thread