HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Giroux

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Giroux

This guy fights hits and has been scoring this year. I think he is way over looked as being part of the 2007 Rangers when we finally get hockey back All kidding aside i love the hustle and hittin he brigs to the table.

Old
12-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Fletch

I think there's a split camp on Giroux..

some thinking a good, career AHLer who may get an injury call-up here and there, and others who think he can be a serviceable NHLer. Just ask Davisian...Giroux' biggest supporter. I like him personally, but haven't seen him enough (or don't know if he plays consistent enough) for an everyday NHL job. Perhaps on a checking line is where he'd max-out, but again, the consistency in the AHL needs to be there to make the jump to the NHL.

Old
12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Fish

I've been very disappointed with Giroux, despite his scoring he really hasn't shown the energy and determination to make it at the pro level...no doubt part of the reason why he was a healthy scratch in 2 of the last 3 games. If Giroux played with more passion he'd be a decent prospect...instead it looks like we might have the next coming of Michal Grosek or Boyd Kane

Old
12-05-2004, 01:46 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I've been very disappointed with Giroux, despite his scoring he really hasn't shown the energy and determination to make it at the pro level...no doubt part of the reason why he was a healthy scratch in 2 of the last 3 games. If Giroux played with more passion he'd be a decent prospect...instead it looks like we might have the next coming of Michal Grosek or Boyd Kane
Giroux has more heart than those 2 combind, I think Giroux will be a solid 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL at best.

Old
12-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Onion Boy

If hockey starts up in time for the 05-06 season, I think Giroux would make a good linemate for Holik on a checking line. If he keeps up his game in the AHL this year, why not give him a shot.

Old
12-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Fletch

The only reason not to sjb...

is for the reasons that Fish mentioned. To put it another way, Giroux needs to keep up his play on a consistent basis. If he can't do that in the AHL, he won't make it to the NHL. He's going to make it on continued hard work. As mentioned, he did sit a couple games, which is not a sign of consistency. He has the size, toughness, speed, and even skill to make it...but he needs to use it regularly.

Old
12-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
is for the reasons that Fish mentioned. To put it another way, Giroux needs to keep up his play on a consistent basis. If he can't do that in the AHL, he won't make it to the NHL. He's going to make it on continued hard work. As mentioned, he did sit a couple games, which is not a sign of consistency. He has the size, toughness, speed, and even skill to make it...but he needs to use it regularly.
Agreed.

Old
12-05-2004, 04:06 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I don't think that's an apt comparison. Grosek and Kane were more highly touted prospects and with power forward bodies. Giroux is an 8th rounder,and will never be a power forward at 6'3" 190. (He was at about 170 when he turned pro). I saw him when he first came to Binghamton and he's improved each season (not something Kane and Grosek did in the minors), and not just as a scorer.

He's not nearly as exasperating as Grosek (upside not as high, not as indifferent to physical play, and much more "in the game"). If he was, Paddock wouldn't have relied on him in Binghamton.

Old
12-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Davisian

Just to weigh in on Giroux, as it's pretty obvious that I'm a big fan of his game, but I agree about the biggest knock on him.

He needs to find a consistent level of play/energy. As versatile as he is, if he truly does become a valuable part of the Ranger core, which I think he will, then that is what would hold him back..

Old
12-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Just to weigh in on Giroux, as it's pretty obvious that I'm a big fan of his game, but I agree about the biggest knock on him.

He needs to find a consistent level of play/energy. As versatile as he is, if he truly does become a valuable part of the Ranger core, which I think he will, then that is what would hold him back..
Been right there all along with you riding the Giroux bus, including my futile attempts to vote him up on the prospect polls...The guy has everything (size, ability, scoring skill) to be a 2nd/3rd liner in the NHL.....It's why he just about made the Sens at the beginning of last year....But the knock on him is obvious and well documented....Too bad he doesn't have the motor of a guy like Ryan Hollweg...Still, a young kid can easily get "it" and then we'll have a fine NHLer in Giroux...

Old
12-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Pearl Necklace

From the Hartford Courant
Then Giroux took over. He set up Ulmer for a turnaround shot at 10:29, then evaded three Worcester players and scored with 1:13 left in the period before being knocked out briefly after his head hit the post.

Link

Old
12-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Deeoogee

Where's the love for Giroux?

Can someone please tell me where all this "well documented" negative Giroux talk in coming from???

So far this season (pre-season and regular), I've missed a total of five (5) Pack games, and I can tell you there's not another player on that squad that plays with more, or as much, passion and heart as Giroux. He's all out - all the time, EVERY GAME he plays. Even when the team needs a spark, or a teammate needs defending, he's always willing to go. From what I've seen he's a complete team player that is definitely an asset to the organization and I wish the Pack had more of his kind.

As far as comparing him to Grosek or Kane, that's damn near crazy talk (sorry Fish). When Grosek was here he was a non-thinking, selfish player; and Kane was/is nothing more than a sneaky, dirty, mememe pond hockey player. Many of us in Hartford are still baffled by his captaincy in Philly.

IMO, another Hartford player that comes close to matching Giroux's passion and tenacity is Craig Weller. Those two really work their ***** off. I wish you could see them play as much as I do, you'd be looking forward to seeing them in New York ASAP.

(BTW - Giroux MIGHT be 6'3" with his skates ON, and that would be really stretching it.)

Old
12-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Fish

No problemo, but then again...if he plays with as much passion as you say, you have to wonder why he's been a healthy scratch in the games prior to this weekend...

Old
12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeoogee
Can someone please tell me where all this "well documented" negative Giroux talk in coming from???

So far this season (pre-season and regular), I've missed a total of five (5) Pack games, and I can tell you there's not another player on that squad that plays with more, or as much, passion and heart as Giroux. He's all out - all the time, EVERY GAME he plays. Even when the team needs a spark, or a teammate needs defending, he's always willing to go. From what I've seen he's a complete team player that is definitely an asset to the organization and I wish the Pack had more of his kind.

As far as comparing him to Grosek or Kane, that's damn near crazy talk (sorry Fish). When Grosek was here he was a non-thinking, selfish player; and Kane was/is nothing more than a sneaky, dirty, mememe pond hockey player. Many of us in Hartford are still baffled by his captaincy in Philly.

IMO, another Hartford player that comes close to matching Giroux's passion and tenacity is Craig Weller. Those two really work their ***** off. I wish you could see them play as much as I do, you'd be looking forward to seeing them in New York ASAP.

(BTW - Giroux MIGHT be 6'3" with his skates ON, and that would be really stretching it.)
I hope Weller can replace Purinton. I like how Weller can play RW and D and does not complain. Does anyone think Weller has a NHL future?

Old
12-07-2004, 12:14 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I hope Weller can replace Purinton. I like how Weller can play RW and D and does not complain. Does anyone think Weller has a NHL future?
Dale had a NHL Future...so pretty much everyone on the Pack has one.

Old
12-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
When I went up to Vermont last year to see the Rangers camp, I thought Weller was one of the better looking young players and deserved a look. He was playing defense at that point, but seemed a capable player, with a little bit of everything.

I was a little surprised he didn't do much last year, and thought perhaps he was starting to get the benefit of the doubt from McGill because of their connection in the WHL (Weller played for McGill).

At times he's struggled this year, but you also have to take into account that he's shifting between defense and forward, but he's finding a way to score...something that has earned him extra ice time, particularly on the power play. I'd say he's still an outside shot at becoming an NHL regular, but he's a role-player type guy who might have some success.

Old
12-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Levitate

Quote:
No problemo, but then again...if he plays with as much passion as you say, you have to wonder why he's been a healthy scratch in the games prior to this weekend...
i honestly can't say with great certainty anything about this since i haven't seen a bunch of pack games other than the ones that have been shown on tv...but of the ones i have seen, giroux has given just as much effort, if not more, than the other players...

just because a coach benches someone, it doesn't always mean the coach is right or benched that player for the right reason, etc etc. I'm not saying mcgill was wrong in benching giroux, i really don't know, but i guess i'm also saying that blind acceptance of what the coach does as "always the right thing" seems a little off to me.

i know several people who watch most of the pack games and think that giroux didn't deserve to be benched, so who to believe?

Old
12-07-2004, 09:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeoogee
It takes mroe than passion and tenacity to be able to play at an NHL level. Fact is Weller is a longshot to make the NHL. Giroux's problem has been that he does not keep up his level of intencity. That was the tag he got when when was in the Ottawa system. He is playing well right now. Will it last? A sign would be if he keeps up his physical play. He has been accused before of not using his body. If he can actually keep up the hard play for an entire season, it would be a good sign.

Old
12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Fletch

Remember TB...

before he played well in the last couple games, he was benched for seemingly less-than-inspired play. And I agree - to be successful, Grioux needs to remain aggressive and tenacious on a consistent basis. If he cannot do that on the AHL level, he'll have a heck of a lot harder time doing it at the NHL level. I hope he can, personally, as he has a nice mix of size, skill, and willingness to mix it up that the Rangers have been missing. A good character guy.

Old
12-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Deeoogee

I'm sorry, I thought the "EVERY GAME" that I included in my first post would be understood as meaning consistent, my mistake.

I truly believe that Giroux was benched for something other than the way he had been playing, cuz that just doesn't make sense. Obviously, I'm not privy to things that go on with the team itself. Maybe there's an attitude problem, maybe a leadership problem, who knows, maybe the kid just needed to be knocked down a peg or two (???) We'll probably never know for sure, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that it could be a personal problem between he and McGill. Kinda reminiscent of last year, no?

Closed Thread