HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Offseason discussion continued (Contract chart in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

vCash: 500
Vokoun, Harding, Clemmensen, Biron and Gustavsson are all UFA at the end of this season. They're all 35 years old or under, and played at least 20 games with at least a .902 Sv%. Of the five, Vokoun is least likely to be resigned. Gustavsson is a bit of a question mark, and the other three are likely to be resigned, but who knows. So, any thoughts about the Pens acquiring one them as back-up?

Old
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Hedberg is 38 years old ... not sure if I'd want to take the chance.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRINGITHH8771 View Post
Parise-Sid-Semin
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
TK-Staal-Dupuis
Adams-Vatalie-Cooke=====48.675 cap hit for forwards

Eaton-Letang
England-Niskinan
Strait/Morrow-Depres======maybe about 12mil cap hit

Flower
Hedberg=== 6.25 cap hit

we would only need to shave off or get people to reconstruct their contract. we are only between 4-8mil off the limit.... and if bennett was ready for the league maybe even more. its possible.. esp. if the CBA increases the salary cap.

ik there are gunna be alot of negative comments and a lot of people calling this unrealistic but i kinda agree too.. and semin comments..
That's a horrible defense. Mark Eaton on the top pairing?

Also, at Semin on Crosby's wing. Would Semin even sign if he knew he'd be stuck with Crosby? Afterall, he's nothing special.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Vokoun, Harding, Clemmensen, Biron and Gustavsson are all UFA at the end of this season. They're all 35 years old or under, and played at least 20 games with at least a .902 Sv%. Of the five, Vokoun is least likely to be resigned. Gustavsson is a bit of a question mark, and the other three are likely to be resigned, but who knows. So, any thoughts about the Pens acquiring one them as back-up?
Gustavsson and Harding are like 28.

In terms of a backup goaltender, the Penguins aren't going to spend a lot (not more than a million per year) and they aren't going to give up assets to get one (via trade). There's a few teams that have room for a starting netminder. Tampa Bay and Toronto have starting jobs up for grabs, so I think they'll be the most attractive spots for the FA goaltenders. But once those spots are filled the Penguins can find their guy from what's left on the market.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:46 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
That's a horrible defense. Mark Eaton on the top pairing?

Also, at Semin on Crosby's wing. Would Semin even sign if he knew he'd be stuck with Crosby? Afterall, he's nothing special.
Semin would be good if they both agreed to drop the dc rival hatred. Semin can score and i could see them both playing together and being very productive unlike in Dc.

Eaton is a D-Dman which we need. With that offence we do need an extra D-Dman i looked at Gill but idk we could throw him in there too. Big guy who blocks shots i like that... but we just have drafted and have so much offence in out D-Men its hard to change the D without moving or keepign the talent in the AHL

Old
04-29-2012, 01:49 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Semin would be good if they both agreed to drop the dc rival hatred. Semin can score and i could see them both playing together and being very productive unlike in Dc.

Eaton is a D-Dman which we need. With that offence we do need an extra D-Dman i looked at Gill but idk we could throw him in there too. Big guy who blocks shots i like that... but we just have drafted and have so much offence in out D-Men its hard to change the D without moving or keepign the talent in the AHL
Mark Eaton is garbage and was garbage when he played here. Quit romanticizing former penguin defensemen.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:52 PM
LiffLaff
Crazy? Me?

I'm hoping for something like this:

Staal to Toronto for Kulemin, Shenn and Colborne, maybe add a bit more from Toronto?

Pawn of Martin to who ever is willing to take him.

Package of picks/prospects to Stl for Stewart.

Sign some gritty fourth liners in FA, and Chris Mason as backup G.

Line up next season:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stewart
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Colborne - Kennedy
? - Vitale - ?

Despres/Orpik - Letang
Niskanen - Michalek
Despres/Orpik - Shenn
Engelland

MAF
Mason

Thoughts?

Old
04-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Jag68Sid87

I really like Josh Harding. He would be the type of goalie who'd push Fleury. I like Vokoun too as someone who could push him, albeit as more of a short-term guy.

The problem is it's VERY hard to sell those guys on Pittsburgh as long as Fleury is here. So management would have to actually state their intentions to scale Fleury back a bit to get them interested. And even then, we would need to convince them with money. I suppose we COULD afford that if we could find takers for some of our underachieving defensemen with big salaries.

I don't like or trust 'The Monster'. He's the Fabian Brunnstrom of goalies until further notice. Too much of a gamble. We don't even know if he's better than Brad Thiessen, to be honest.

Clemmensen, Biron and Hedberg wouldn't pose any kind of threat to Fleury's No. 1 status...so they're just another Brent Johnson. Status quo. We need more than this. IMO.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:33 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Mark Eaton is garbage and was garbage when he played here. Quit romanticizing former penguin defensemen.
Mark Eaton was only garbage at the end of his time in Pittsburgh, not through all of it and he has a Stanley Cup ring to prove it.

Old
04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Mark Eaton was only garbage at the end of his time in Pittsburgh, not through all of it and he has a Stanley Cup ring to prove it.
don't start. Craig Adams has 2 stanley cup rings...

Old
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
gordie

Quote:
don't start. Craig Adams has 2 stanley cup rings...
Craig Adams has deserved those two rings and has been pretty good up until this season where it is now looking like he needs to get on with his life's work.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:21 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Gustavsson and Harding are like 28.

In terms of a backup goaltender, the Penguins aren't going to spend a lot (not more than a million per year) and they aren't going to give up assets to get one (via trade). There's a few teams that have room for a starting netminder. Tampa Bay and Toronto have starting jobs up for grabs, so I think they'll be the most attractive spots for the FA goaltenders. But once those spots are filled the Penguins can find their guy from what's left on the market.
Someone posted some stats that indicated Flower performed better in the playoffs when he wasn't playing as much as he did this season. And, really, that make sense. Guys like Brodeur in his prime are the exception rather than the norm. I think it makes sense for the team to spend a bit more for a back-up who can play 20-30 games and perform well when they do. The poster I've quoted below makes a good point about pushing Flower as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I really like Josh Harding. He would be the type of goalie who'd push Fleury. I like Vokoun too as someone who could push him, albeit as more of a short-term guy.

The problem is it's VERY hard to sell those guys on Pittsburgh as long as Fleury is here. So management would have to actually state their intentions to scale Fleury back a bit to get them interested. And even then, we would need to convince them with money. I suppose we COULD afford that if we could find takers for some of our underachieving defensemen with big salaries.

I don't like or trust 'The Monster'. He's the Fabian Brunnstrom of goalies until further notice. Too much of a gamble. We don't even know if he's better than Brad Thiessen, to be honest.

Clemmensen, Biron and Hedberg wouldn't pose any kind of threat to Fleury's No. 1 status...so they're just another Brent Johnson. Status quo. We need more than this. IMO.
I like Harding as well. But, I'd be just as happy with Vokoun or Biron. I think Vokoun is probably the one most likely to sign with another team. Only problem is he got over looked last year, not so sure that will happen this time. I think spending a bit more on a back-up would be a good investment, but it's possible that Vokoun may get priced out of range.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Flat Stanley

So, TIOPS and Rossi thinks that the Penguins aren't a good drafting team and Craig Patrick was better at drafting than Ray Shero.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...pirates/49110/

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...-2006-08-staal

These kind of things really piss me off, when they say "Oh well the Penguins selected this guy, you know a guy who went 10 picks later? A better player." Yeah, you know what, it's pretty easy to look back 5 years ago and see players who are better than the ones the Penguins had, like for example, the Penguins drafted Carl Sneep when Milan Lucic was on the board, and the Penguins drafted Brian Strait when Wayne Simmonds was on the board, hind sight? Bad picks, but at the time you just don't know. Shero isn't a bad drafting GM because his picks didn't turn out.

Craig Patrick picked guys Letang, Kennedy, Talbot, Moulson, etc. in the later rounds, he got lucky with those picks, I guess you can say other teams have bad drafting too because they passed up on those players.

It's disappointing that guys like Strait and Sneep are busts, and looking back there were better players on the board, but don't sit there and tell me that Shero doesn't know how to do his job, he's a great GM. It's easy to look back and say "oh we could have made a better pick" but in the summer of 2006, you just don't know.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Parise-Sid-Semin
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
TK-Staal-Dupuis
Adams-Vatalie-Cooke=====48.675 cap hit for forwards

Eaton-Letang
England-Niskinan
Strait/Morrow-Depres======maybe about 12mil cap hit

Flower
Hedberg=== 6.25 cap hit

we would only need to shave off or get people to reconstruct their contract. we are only between 4-8mil off the limit.... and if bennett was ready for the league maybe even more. its possible.. esp. if the CBA increases the salary cap.

ik there are gunna be alot of negative comments and a lot of people calling this unrealistic but i kinda agree too.. and semin comments..
Semin would be great if he was on a series of 1-year, team-option contracts.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:41 PM
justsayin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
So, it's been established that I have no aptitude for trade values
None the less ... any thoughts on sending Martin to Florida for Huberdeau? Or would we have to add?
If that trade happened, would be fabulous.

Old
04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
So, TIOPS and Rossi thinks that the Penguins aren't a good drafting team and Craig Patrick was better at drafting than Ray Shero.

These kind of things really piss me off, when they say "Oh well the Penguins selected this guy, you know a guy who went 10 picks later? A better player." Yeah, you know what, it's pretty easy to look back 5 years ago and see players who are better than the ones the Penguins had, like for example, the Penguins drafted Carl Sneep when Milan Lucic was on the board, and the Penguins drafted Brian Strait when Wayne Simmonds was on the board, hind sight? Bad picks, but at the time you just don't know. Shero isn't a bad drafting GM because his picks didn't turn out.

Craig Patrick picked guys Letang, Kennedy, Talbot, Moulson, etc. in the later rounds, he got lucky with those picks, I guess you can say other teams have bad drafting too because they passed up on those players.

It's disappointing that guys like Strait and Sneep are busts, and looking back there were better players on the board, but don't sit there and tell me that Shero doesn't know how to do his job, he's a great GM. It's easy to look back and say "oh we could have made a better pick" but in the summer of 2006, you just don't know.
craig patrick only made good picks when they were 1st or 2nd overall...its a lot tougher to find a good player at 20+ other teams have passed on

Old
04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
craig patrick only made good picks when they were 1st or 2nd overall...its a lot tougher to find a good player at 20+ other teams have passed on
Exactly, but they seem to think that since Shero "only drafted one NHL regular" that means he sucks at drafting.

This is all because we lost, if we didn't lose, Rossi and TIOPS wouldn't be saying this ****, they would be saying "smart moves by Shero leads to Penguins victories"

I think they are all still talking about this too soon. Guys that Shero drafted are still developing.

I called Strait a bust, didn't mean it like that. He was a 2rd round pick in 2006, what does Rossi want, a top 2 defenseman?

I don't know about them but...

Brian Strait - 2006 3rd
Robert Bortuzzo - 2007 3rd
Dustin Jeffrey - 2007 6th
Tom Kühnhackl - 2010 4th
Scott Harrington - 2011 2nd

I think all those guys have futures in the NHL, maybe with the Pens. I also think Shero past 3 late 1st round picks are pretty good.

Despres
Bennett
Morrow

All could be great players for the Pens.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
mpp9

As long as Shero is active in acquiring forward talent via trade, I'm more than satisfied with our bright future on D.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

I didn't know Strait was a bust. In fact I thought he was very close to becoming a good NHL D-man.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I didn't know Strait was a bust. In fact I thought he was very close to becoming a good NHL D-man.
Read my 2nd post.

Quote:
Exactly, but they seem to think that since Shero "only drafted one NHL regular" that means he sucks at drafting.

This is all because we lost, if we didn't lose, Rossi and TIOPS wouldn't be saying this ****, they would be saying "smart moves by Shero leads to Penguins victories"

I think they are all still talking about this too soon. Guys that Shero drafted are still developing.

I called Strait a bust, didn't mean it like that. He was a 3rdd round pick in 2006, what does Rossi want, a top 2 defenseman?

I don't know about them but...

Brian Strait - 2006 3rd
Robert Bortuzzo - 2007 3rd
Dustin Jeffrey - 2007 6th
Tom Kühnhackl - 2010 4th
Scott Harrington - 2011 2nd

I think all those guys have futures in the NHL, maybe with the Pens. I also think Shero past 3 late 1st round picks are pretty good.

Despres
Bennett
Morrow

All could be great players for the Pens.
What I meant was that there were better players on the board for the Pens than Brian Strait, and it's disappointing the Pens missed out on those players, but I still like Strait, I also thought he was a 2nd rounder when he was a 3rd rounder. I think Strait's a good defenseman with a future in the NHL.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
wej20

Strait's a good value pick if he makes it as a NHL regular, if Sneep makes it as a NHL bottom pairing guy he's still not good value as the 32nd overall pick.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:40 PM
dippafly

Malkin For Schneider and Kesler

I am proposing to trade Schneider and Kesler for Malkin. I think it's a deal that makes both teams better. The Canucks improve drastically with their offence and the Pens improve drastically with their goaltending.

The Canucks will still have a great goaltending duo with Luongo and Lack. Lack can be developed into a great goalie for the future.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
wej20

Nope.

Old
04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

How to tell if a trade is bad

Do you give up one of the best players in the world?

Yes: Bad trade

Old
04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

We have a goalie who won 43 games last year.

Closed Thread