Old
04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Need to clarify this silly AHL rule...

Why is it Scheifele can play for the IceCaps now, but was not allowed to play for them all season?
Some concession in the CHL / NHL agreement. It's there basically to prevent raiding the CHL of the best players - an OHL/WHL/Q player can only play in the A if they're less than 20 if their Junior team is out of the playoffs, and there's essentially no hockey left for them to play at that level for the year.

EDIT: much better explanation here > http://prospectsannex.blogspot.ca/20...ave-to-be.html

Quote:
There's a good bit of confusion about the rules surrounding junior players because they're not in the NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, something everyone can access. The rules are in a private agreement between the NHL and CHL (Canadian Hockey League, made up of the QMJHL, OHL and WHL). A lot of people think the AHL has a rule that someone has to be 20 to play there. Common misconception. It's not a rule made by the AHL. If it were up to them, they would take everyone over 18. Officially that's the AHL's policy in fact.

The NHL/CHL agreement states that a player with junior eligibility signed by an NHL team must be returned to his junior team if he's not playing in the NHL. It's part of a deal that provides CHL money for players produced (sort of like the IIHF agreement between the NHL and European countries). The NHL agrees to send the teenagers back because CHL needs these players - its top players -- to make money. If the CHL didn't make money, they couldn't produce players. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

(...)

And on a related topic, CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over even if they don't yet meet the age criteria listed above. So you could see 18 and 19-year-old juniors in the AHL late in the season. They can and do return to junior the next year.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Wolf357

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
While I would like to see it, it's not as simple as that. TSN would have to purchase the rights, for one thing.
I cant imagine it too difficult to get the rights. If I recal Leafs TV has broadcast Marlies games from time to time.

I dont think that the major challange would be to get the rights but rather to get any TV coverage at all.
I was a Moose supporter back in the day and it was almost impossible to catch any games. MTS Cable would show a few play off games but the quality was on par as my uncles camcorder circa 1987

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
I cant imagine it too difficult to get the rights. If I recal Leafs TV has broadcast Marlies games from time to time.

I dont think that the major challange would be to get the rights but rather to get any TV coverage at all.
I was a Moose supporter back in the day and it was almost impossible to catch any games. MTS Cable would show a few play off games but the quality was on par as my uncles camcorder circa 1987
I remember those days... U know ur a hockey fan when lol... I swear my cell phone from my seats in the upperdeck looks way better!!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I really happy with this decision.

Scheifele will now be competing against men instead of boys.

This will only help his development.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Would love for these games to be streamed at the very least. I'd definitely watch them.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Too bad tsn jets couldnt carry the caps games on tv
Would love to see mark play again

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Would love for these games to be streamed at the very least. I'd definitely watch them.
There's an official $tream for them. I haven't found anyone streaming any of the AHL games outside of the AHL sanctioned broadcast/stream.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

As for TSN Jets. No one is paying for it until next season so it is dead until then.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:58 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

AHL streaming packages:

1. $299 for all playoff games, all teams
2. $39 for rounds 1 and 2, for one team (both home and away games)
3. $9.99 per game.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

Old
04-19-2012, 07:08 PM
CrateConnect
Rookie User

Depends on the video quality for each stadium too. Some are better then others. Some are not worth watching at all.

CrateConnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
AHL streaming packages:

1. $299 for all playoff games, all teams
2. $39 for rounds 1 and 2, for one team (both home and away games)
3. $9.99 per game.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/
yeah I dont think so

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
I asked TSNJetsProducer and Sara Orlesky if it would be possible to see some 'Caps games on TSN-Jets. Fingers crossed.

04-19-2012, 07:20 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
yeah I dont think so
No kidding: pricing is higher than NHL GameCenter. Zoinks.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:21 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Very cool. I didn't think they would actually do it. Anxious to see how he does. Hopefully it gives him some momentum for next season. Would have loved to see Telegin too.

You'd think it would hurt chemistry to drop a player on a team to start the playoffs. Especially a teenager.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
No kidding: pricing is higher than NHL GameCenter. Zoinks.
I bought the team season package cost around 200 bucks.The quality in some rinks (Hershey,St.John's,WBS) is great..some not so good ( Syracuse,Worcester,Portland).

For the money I paid I thought it would be better but I guess its better then nothing at all.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

Quote:
There's an official $tream for them. I haven't found anyone streaming any of the AHL games outside of the AHL sanctioned broadcast/stream.
Except that guy in Ottawa who was streaming the Binghamtom Senators games and posted the URL on the Jets board whenever they played the IceCaps.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Except that guy in Ottawa who was streaming the Binghamtom Senators games and posted the URL on the Jets board whenever they played the IceCaps.
Ah yes! Forgot about that: nice enough to come tell us about it when he did, too. Too bad IceCaps aren't playing the Sens in the first round.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
You'd think it would hurt chemistry to drop a player on a team to start the playoffs. Especially a teenager.
Hearing McCambridge on H&L today sounded like they're mindful of that. With Scheifele at least he played with a lot of the guys in training camp, so at least he's not coming in a total new guy... I imagine the Jets' other prospects might even be looking forward to seeing if they can get some chemistry going with him, that could only help their chances next training camp.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
I'm really curious how Sheifele does with the Ice caps. It might just give us a glimps to how far away he is from the the Jets. If he can go in there and really contribute the sky is limit for the kid.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
dhfromkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkehler View Post
While I would like to see it, it's not as simple as that. TSN would have to purchase the rights, for one thing.
Plus we're not paying for it anymore.

dhfromkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:36 PM
bodybreak
Whiteshell Wild

vCash: 720
Bell subscribers still get TSN Jets all year round, without paying, so there were would be some eyeballs there if they decided to run the IceCaps games. Maybe they'd play nice and let everyone have the channel for free during IceCaps games, cuz it's doubtful many people would pay $10 a month.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
Bell subscribers still get TSN Jets all year round, without paying, so there were would be some eyeballs there if they decided to run the IceCaps games. Maybe they'd play nice and let everyone have the channel for free during IceCaps games, cuz it's doubtful many people would pay $10 a month.
It would be great if they could do Ice Cap coverage on the team throu the season.

Even if it just a bad picture with local radio broadcast teams.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:05 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Glad to hear he's gonna get some more professional experience before next season.

Is this a regular thing for teams to have their prospects join their AHL affiliate during playoffs? I know Eberle did a couple seasons ago, and I thought it was a big deal then.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Hearing McCambridge on H&L today sounded like they're mindful of that. With Scheifele at least he played with a lot of the guys in training camp, so at least he's not coming in a total new guy... I imagine the Jets' other prospects might even be looking forward to seeing if they can get some chemistry going with him, that could only help their chances next training camp.
The Flyers called up a bunch of their AHL players a few days ago, likely for the same reason. Could be that they just wanted to get some of their guys some playoff atmosphere experience.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote