HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison

Old
04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
thedonger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
Isles are gonna sign him on a 4 year deal worth 18M
with what? monopoly money? because chairman chuckles certainly isn't going to be paying that.

and that's even assuming the guy would by crazy/stupid enough to sign onto this mess of an organization.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
No, pay the extra two million for Suter.
They are the same age, yet this is the first year Garrison has hit over 20, let alone 30 points. Meanwhile, Suter has four straight years of hitting over 30 points. His 16 goals is flukey as hell. First time he's hit over eight goals since turning pro and that eight was with Rochester in the AHL. Suter has consistently put up 4-7 a year and racks up quite a few assists as well.

Give me Suter every day of the week over Garrison, especially if the difference is only two million.
$2m more and how many years more? Suter is going to be wanting more than 4 years. Long term, a contract like that isn't this teams interests.

We need someone who can chip in, but is going to be solid defensively to allow Pietrangelo do his thing. When he is playing with someone who is solid defensively, I'm sure the offensive production of Pietrangelo will be that of the second half of this season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
Isles are gonna sign him on a 4 year deal worth 18M
garrison would look good beside mark streit, in my opinion.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 10:18 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
with what? monopoly money? because chairman chuckles certainly isn't going to be paying that.

and that's even assuming the guy would by crazy/stupid enough to sign onto this mess of an organization.
isn't that less money than what the islanders offered erhoff last summer?

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
HawksTillDeath

He would be great on Chicago for 1 of our vacant spots.. even at @ 4.5 mil

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:22 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDogsandLeafs View Post
Reading that made me want to punch my computer screen but I can't be mad at you because you have a good chance at being right
except Garrison can play D and isn't a complete pylon, unlike Komi when he was signed for his truculence and volume. I think Garrison's goals scored is inflated by some good luck, not many Dmen shoot 9-10% over a year. Aucion comes to mind, a guy with a canon and shoots about 6% with the odd crazy aberation. Worst case you get a 20 point defensively sound Dman you can throw out on the 2nd PP unit, $4-4.5m sounds like a nice starting point.

Pretty sure there would be at least 15-20 teams thinking about him.

Last edited by me2: 04-27-2012 at 01:26 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

LOL at every fan here saying he would be a perfect fit on their team. Sounds like he has built a pretty good market for himself. He will get 5+ easily.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 01:20 AM
ichabod13

florida getting bumped out actually helps garths chances of signing him. not that garth has a great chance of signing him, but his chances have just improved. the longer florida lasted, the lesser the chance garth would have of signing him. hes only had a quick sniff of the play-offs, and if he signs with long island, he just might be enough to get them into the post season. a return sniff......where he could be talked about as a star.
id start at 4 million for 4 years or 5 million for 3 years.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
LOL at every fan here saying he would be a perfect fit on their team. Sounds like he has built a pretty good market for himself. He will get 5+ easily.
It is also a reflection of the lack of available quality, D-men in UFA this off season. I agree that there will be a bidding war and some team will end up paying Garrison a boat load of long term, money.

I have seen Garrison play a lot over the past several seasons, he is a solid, positional defender whose offensive numbers have been greatly enhanced by playing on the PP with Campbell. I fear that the fans on the team that he ultimately signs with will expect more for a $5+ million

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:24 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
It is also a reflection of the lack of available quality, D-men in UFA this off season. I agree that there will be a bidding war and some team will end up paying Garrison a boat load of long term, money.

I have seen Garrison play a lot over the past several seasons, he is a solid, positional defender whose offensive numbers have been greatly enhanced by playing on the PP with Campbell. I fear that the fans on the team that he ultimately signs with will expect more for a $5+ million
Watching replays of his goals you can see that it's not anything special Brian Campbell is doing. Certainly nothing that plenty of other top pairing partners couldn't do. Basically it's an accurate shot, and a lot of his goals are on the PP. But teams do get lots of PP time over the course of a season so he'll have opportunity.

It may or may not be a fluke that he got that shot on net as often as he did. That's for the future to bear out. Sounds like he consciously developed this skill and it's paid off. The key is the defense. If you add a sizeable defender who can play 22+ minutes a night in all situations against all NHL top talent and give you rock solid defense who also has this upside of a howitzer shot other teams will have to game plan against, thus freeing up attention for other members of the PP, that alone is enough to justify the strong UFA offer, and that's why he'll get it.

I still say he signs with Florida. They'd be fools not to pay him, as he has emerged as a core piece.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 07:53 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

He seems to me to be a lot like Bryan McCabe when he got his big deal.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
Marshal Rochambeau
New Jersey H.C.

The Ville Leino of 2012.

Marshal Rochambeau is online now   Reply With Quote