HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who is this "Parise" dude?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2004, 09:50 AM
  #51
Pure Slaughter Value
Registered User
 
Pure Slaughter Value's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
Parise is a Devils prospect with great upside, is very fast and very talented, he is a great playmaker and has great offensive game. He will play in the NHL, this kid give 110% when he plays.
"It's impossible to give more than 100%, by definition 100% is the most one can give"

D'oh!

Pure Slaughter Value is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 10:19 AM
  #52
jake1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
I watched Parise quite a bit over the last two years, and I think generally people over-estimate his point projections and undervalue his overall play.

He has nice hands, good but not great speed, and excellent hockey sense and vision. On the downside, his size is an issue in that he can be affected by bigger, stronger players. I'm not interested in a debate about listed "size," or comparisons to other smaller players; I simply feel that in watching him his size has sometimes been an issue.

Parise's work ethic and overall play are almost universally admired, and I still think they are undervalued. I think it is the combination of his hockey sense, vision and ethic that make him so effective. You will see shifts and shake your head at the end of it because of the way he worked. He'll keep the puck in the zone (or move it out) by getting to a puck because he knows it will be there and keep his feet moving, not because he is the fastest guy. In fact, I think he has only average-at-best physical gifts. He's very much a head-and-heart player.

If a Modano comparison is meant to include style of play, it's way off. They couldn't look more different carrying the puck up the ice.

Just my opinion. I really like him as a player and look forward to watching him for many years to come.

jake1 is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 11:31 AM
  #53
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Ding Ding Ding I totally agree with Jake1. His scoring is mostly a direct result from hustle and determination. A guy that comes to mind in point only comparision is Wes Walz. A 3 point guy in juniors and point a game guy in AHL and a .5 guy in the NHL. Both players are very valuable to their teams. But, in Walz'z case, he could not score on a regular basis in the NHL. I cant think of a team that would not Walz on their team now. And i feel Parise will be the same way. But point wise he is just not that talented, in any sense or hustle category he may be the most talented prospect out there. His points will go down as his level raises. IMO he will always be on a winner and a wanted componet to any team.

MN_Gopher is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 11:41 AM
  #54
chriss_co
Registered User
 
chriss_co's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CALGARY
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,769
vCash: 500
Parise is an excellent prospect and will have a long and successful career in the NHL. That is without a doubt. However, despite all his talent and potential, he still has a major disadvantage - his size. I know everyone hates to put down players because of their size (namely, cuz there are many small players in the NHL that are successful) but there is no question that his size will come to question that first game in each higher level he progresses. I think he will overcome that and do quite well. Is he going to be a superstar (like an yzerman or sakic)? I don't think so. I think he'll be a really good compliment player on the 1st line. Someone who you will love to have on your team. A leader, a competitor and a winner.

But a superstar? No.

(still an excellent pick - a player that every team would like to have)

chriss_co is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
  #55
Wolfpack
Registered User
 
Wolfpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
It sounds like those who have seen Parise play quite a bit are describing Jarret Stoll with more offensive upside? Would that be an accurate comparison?

Stoll is an average skater but a hard-working centre, good hockey sense, successful at ever level so far, good leader, solid defensively - but I'm guessing the difference is that Stoll will probably be a 3rd line player while Parise could reach the 2nd or 1st line position?

Accurate?

Wolfpack is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 12:07 PM
  #56
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1
Parise's work ethic and overall play are almost universally admired, and I still think they are undervalued. I think it is the combination of his hockey sense, vision and ethic that make him so effective. You will see shifts and shake your head at the end of it because of the way he worked. He'll keep the puck in the zone (or move it out) by getting to a puck because he knows it will be there and keep his feet moving, not because he is the fastest guy. In fact, I think he has only average-at-best physical gifts. He's very much a head-and-heart player.
Gotta love guys like this.

All I've seen of the guy leads me to beleive he'll at least line up behind Gomez in that #2 spot, if not at #1. His size may be an issue, but his tremendous work ethic, coupled with his talent could make it virtually moot.

It's not all that often that a tremendous talent possesses the tenacity of of a grinder, who works for every inch he can. Talent + Work Ethic can only equal good things.

Toonces is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
  #57
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
He won it because he was amazing in the round robin games... vs. Finland and Canada he was invisible... the final 2 games.
You are blind as a bat then. He did set up the first goal in the finland with an amazing play and he didn't get credit for the O'Sullivan goal that he did create. I guess you didn't watch his defensive play. He may not have been up to his top level offensivly he was by far the best defensive forward in the Finland and Canada game. That doesn't count for anything at HF though.....

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
  #58
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Ding Ding Ding I totally agree with Jake1. His scoring is mostly a direct result from hustle and determination. A guy that comes to mind in point only comparision is Wes Walz. A 3 point guy in juniors and point a game guy in AHL and a .5 guy in the NHL. Both players are very valuable to their teams. But, in Walz'z case, he could not score on a regular basis in the NHL. I cant think of a team that would not Walz on their team now. And i feel Parise will be the same way. But point wise he is just not that talented, in any sense or hustle category he may be the most talented prospect out there. His points will go down as his level raises. IMO he will always be on a winner and a wanted componet to any team.
Parise has much better hockey sense and playmaking skills then Walz. He will put up more points because of that. Parise's passing has the announcers going crazy in AHL games. Parise also doesn't have the speed that Walz has....speed will allow you to dominate at almost every level.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 01:54 PM
  #59
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Parise also doesn't have the speed that Walz has....speed will allow you to dominate at almost every level.
Sorry but I have to say it. Rico Fata. I think Parise will be a good player and may play in a couple all-star games. I think he will be a solid top-six forward for most of his career but he will never be considered a true first line centre.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 01:58 PM
  #60
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Sorry but I have to say it. Rico Fata. I think Parise will be a good player and may play in a couple all-star games. I think he will be a solid top-six forward for most of his career but he will never be considered a true first line centre.

I guess it depends on what you're definition of a "true first-line center" is. If it's Scott Gomez, than Parise will surely have that kind of impact as he has the same offensive gifts and better intangibles.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
  #61
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Sorry but I have to say it. Rico Fata. I think Parise will be a good player and may play in a couple all-star games. I think he will be a solid top-six forward for most of his career but he will never be considered a true first line centre.
Well Gomez leads the league in asssists and he still isn't considered a top line center so I agree with that statement.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-11-2004, 02:39 PM
  #62
Bloody Sabbath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
By point a game you mean .75 ppg and by 2nd, you mean tied for 7th, right?

http://www.theahl.com/AHLStatistics0...ieleaders.html
you're own evidence proved you wrong.

it lists parise 2nd in rookie scoring with a 0.86 PPG ratio.

Bloody Sabbath is offline  
Old
12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
  #63
DownFromNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Top-6 Forward and an All Star? And your still not calling him a top line center?

DownFromNJ is offline  
Old
12-11-2004, 05:56 PM
  #64
DaveyCrockett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
Top-6 Forward and an All Star? And your still not calling him a top line center?
Making an Allstar game once or twice in your career and playing on the top two lines does not make you a first line centre in this league. I see Parise as comparable in career upside as these players Drury, York, Briere, Nylander, Langkow, Conroy, Ribeiro, and Morrison.

DaveyCrockett is offline  
Old
12-11-2004, 07:36 PM
  #65
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_tml89
you're own evidence proved you wrong.

it lists parise 2nd in rookie scoring with a 0.86 PPG ratio.
At the time he posted it, he was accurate.
Things change over time, ya know.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 12:50 PM
  #66
Puckhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Behind you!!!
Country: Italy
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Zach Parise is a great player, not a future superstar, but he'll be good.

Having said that... he is overhyped.
I think by and large, the NJ Devils scouting staff have pulled more than one rabbit out of their hats. So, while you say he is overhyped, I am anxious to see how he develops and what he can bring to the table for the Devils when he makes the jump. He obviously won't put up huge numbers early on, but with a little seasoning I feel he will be an offensive leader for the NJ for many years to come. He may be a tad on the small side, but look around the league in the last couple of seasons, and the smaller players, provided they have smarts, skill, speed, and the willingness to compete every night, are turning heads. To use his size as a detriment is ridiculous. He has the creativity, and the skill, aswell as the leadership to go with it. From everything I've seen of Parise, I think he has a lot of Doug Gilmour qualities, and if he can turn out to be anything like him, then he most definitely will not be considered over-hyped!!!

Puckhead is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 01:02 PM
  #67
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead
I think by and large, the NJ Devils scouting staff have pulled more than one rabbit out of their hats.
Like everyone else, the Devs pick their fair share of dogs. In the space of 9 years, take a look at some of these first round gems they picked. Pederson, the Sharif, Ward, Damphousse, Foster & the jury is still out on Anhonen & Hale.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 01:30 PM
  #68
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Like everyone else, the Devs pick their fair share of dogs. In the space of 9 years, take a look at some of these first round gems they picked. Pederson, the Sharif, Ward, Damphousse, Foster & the jury is still out on Anhonen & Hale.
Ahonen has gotten no play because of the giant brick wall known as Martin Brodeur, and if there's a jury out on Hale, it's whether or not he's going to be a #1 or a #6 - he's already an NHL caliber defenseman.

Besides, though we get our fair share of busts, Parise is the highest first round pick NJ has had since Lance Ward at #10 overall in 1996... oh, and Pederson was 12 years ago and Sharif 11.

If you look at those 12 years you mention at the other players who currently are in the NHL, you find more than your fair share:
Pandolfo, Morrison, Oliwa in 1993,
Elias, Souray, Sullivan in 1994,
Sykora and McCauley in 1995,
Dagenais, Boumedienne, White, and Mitchell in 1996,
Clemmensen in 1997,
Van Ryn, Gomez, Gionta, Dagenais (again), in 1998
Commodore in 1999,
Hale, Martin, Rupp, Danton in 2000...


Last edited by Classic Devil: 12-12-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Classic Devil is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 02:56 PM
  #69
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Ahonen has gotten no play because of the giant brick wall known as Martin Brodeur, and if there's a jury out on Hale, it's whether or not he's going to be a #1 or a #6 - he's already an NHL caliber defenseman.

Besides, though we get our fair share of busts, Parise is the highest first round pick NJ has had since Lance Ward at #10 overall in 1996... oh, and Pederson was 12 years ago and Sharif 11.

If you look at those 12 years you mention at the other players who currently are in the NHL, you find more than your fair share:
Pandolfo, Morrison, Oliwa in 1993,
Elias, Souray, Sullivan in 1994,
Sykora and McCauley in 1995,
Dagenais, Boumedienne, White, and Mitchell in 1996,
Clemmensen in 1997,
Van Ryn, Gomez, Gionta, Dagenais (again), in 1998
Commodore in 1999,
Hale, Martin, Rupp, Danton in 2000...
The point was the Devs, like every other team , are hardly godlike in their drafting. They are fallible like everyone else, so the fact a guy is drafted by them is by no means an indicator that he will be some kind of champ.
That being said, they are in the top half of the league in drafting.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 03:06 PM
  #70
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
The point was the Devs, like every other team , are hardly godlike in their drafting. They are fallible like everyone else, so the fact a guy is drafted by them is by no means an indicator that he will be some kind of champ.
That being said, they are in the top half of the league in drafting.
If by "top half" you mean "top 3" then yes......The only teams that can compare with devils drafting is Detroit and Colorado.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 03:38 PM
  #71
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
If by "top half" you mean "top 3" then yes......The only teams that can compare with devils drafting is Detroit and Colorado.
In the last 10 years, the Devs drafting has, imo, been hardly better than average. Now that may change for the better or worse depending on the development of guys like Parise, Suglobov, Anhonen, & a few others.


Last edited by Sammy*: 12-12-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Sammy* is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 04:11 PM
  #72
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
In the last 10 years, the Devs drafting has, imo, been hardly better than average. Now that may change for the better or worse depending on the development of guys like Parise, Suglobov, Anhonen, & a few others.
They have the most players drafted in the NHL today. They have held that title for atleast 4 or 5 years in a row.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 04:12 PM
  #73
DownFromNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
In the last 10 years, the Devs drafting has, imo, been hardly better than average. Now that may change for the better or worse depending on the development of guys like Parise, Suglobov, Anhonen, & a few others.
I have to dispute that. NJ's drafting has been #1 in the league - considering we haven't been bad enough to get a high pick in ages.

What team can beat Guerin, Elias, Madden (amateur signing, brought through system), Gionta, Gomez, Martin, Brylin, Brodeur, Sullivan, Souray, Niedermayer, Commodore, Sykora, Rupp,White, Clemmenson, Van Ryn and Rolston come to mind right away.

DownFromNJ is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 04:30 PM
  #74
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
I have to dispute that. NJ's drafting has been #1 in the league - considering we haven't been bad enough to get a high pick in ages.

What team can beat Guerin, Elias, Madden (amateur signing, brought through system), Gionta, Gomez, Martin, Brylin, Brodeur, Sullivan, Souray, Niedermayer, Commodore, Sykora, Rupp,White, Clemmenson, Van Ryn and Rolston come to mind right away.
10 years.
And btw, Barry Fraser and Slats to a lesser degree were the guys who were the authors of the Oilers early unbelievable drafting. They were also the architecs of the disgraceful drafting later on.
Things quite often change.


Last edited by Sammy*: 12-12-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Sammy* is offline  
Old
12-12-2004, 04:37 PM
  #75
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,668
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
10 years.
And btw, Barry Fraser and Slats to a lesser degree were the guys who were the authors of the Oilers early unbelievable drafting. They were also the architecs of the disgraceful drafting later on.
Things quite often change.
One draft in 2000 we got Suglobov, DeMarchi, Hale, Martin, Danton, Rupp, Laine, Cole.....of those players 4 of them played in the NHL last year(Hale, Martin, Rupp, Danton), 1 is guarenteed a spot in the NHL once it comes back (Suglobov) and the other two should play in the NHL sometime in the next 3 years.(DeMarchi, Laine) Every other draft we have had around 7, 8 or 9 picks......not too much to work with.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.