HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The biggest reason Chicago is losing this series

View Poll Results: Biggest reason?
Corey Crawford 17 19.77%
Team Defense 16 18.60%
Lack of scoring, PP or otherwise 34 39.53%
Coaching (line-ups, systems etc) 17 19.77%
Andrew Brunette 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2012, 03:20 AM
  #1
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
The biggest reason Chicago is losing this series

Quite simple, alot of good debate about it.


**Because I know someone will ask, 'All of the above' wasn't included because the point of this is to find out which particular "failure" is most costing Chicago this series.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:26 AM
  #2
sketch22
Registered User
 
sketch22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 50
I voted for lack of scoring, but it could just have easily have been coaching (how does Kitchen still have a job?) and team defense (which in the Hawks case is an oxymoron).

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:37 AM
  #3
ndgt10
Registered User
 
ndgt10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Poland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,885
vCash: 500
Softest team in the league. How about our "enforcer" getting thoroughly beat down last night? This is the kind of team you get with our GM. Wish we had the Flyers GM.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:38 AM
  #4
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,396
vCash: 500
Went coaching...which of course is a part of all the other reasons in the poll, whether they are good or bad.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:44 AM
  #5
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Softest team in the league. How about our "enforcer" getting thoroughly beat down last night? This is the kind of team you get with our GM. Wish we had the Flyers GM.
It's Q, not Bowan that loves "enforcers".

This is the kind of team you get when you have to completely rebuild depth over the course of 1 summer, with money to spend and a couple drafts.

Woulda been nice to keep Niemi, Hjalmarsson and Ladd without coulda, woulda, shouldas. It would have been nice to have less tough decisions that needed to be made. If only Buff and Bolly weren't given, at the time, ridiculous extensions. If only Huet was never signed, when you already had a 6M goalie on your team. Campbell's contract was bad, but at least we needed him.. but, 7M for a #3 Dman? Yikes.

But, that's just the "price" of winning the Cup, right? Funny.. I don't think Boston, Detroit or Pittsburgh had to desmantle their teams.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:57 AM
  #6
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,396
vCash: 500
It was the price to win our cup. You take any of those moves away and you never know if the Hawks still win the cup.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:04 AM
  #7
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Either way, not exactly the thread to destroy with a Bowman discussion. All I know is, the contracts that were handed out were bad and done without foresight.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:04 AM
  #8
Godlike13
Registered User
 
Godlike13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
No all the above option? Though if i have to give specifics im going to say, Corey Crawford, Coaching, and PP. Though i was never delusional enough to think a series with the Yotes was gonna be a high scoring affair.

Godlike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:12 AM
  #9
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
A complete organizational effort from Stan to the coaching staff to the players on the ice. They are all to blame in some way.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:54 AM
  #10
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.
 
Crazy_Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,075
vCash: 50
You could replace Oduya and might get a smidgeon better. You could do the same with Leddy. You could do the same with our powerplay. Or Sharp. Or Kruger, or Stalberg. A replacement of any of them with someone better would make the Hawks a slightly better team.

But you replace Crawford with someone better and we are either tied or up in the series.

Crawford is not the only reason we are down 3-1. But he's the biggest, or tied for the biggest, with the failed powerplay, and on an individual level he more than anyone else simply hasn't been good enough.

I doubt he even starts game 5. If he doesn't, I will consider that conclusive that no one in the organization has any faith left in him. We could be tied going to Phoenix on a high. Instead he lets in a goal that could have been stopped by simply lying flat on the ice across the goal line. Not good enough.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
  #11
Sevanston
Registered User
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 12,329
vCash: 500
51% Team Defense - With less panic and better puck possession, we wouldn't even be going to OT.

49% Corey Crawford - With better goaltending, we wouldn't be losing in OT off of plays that barely register as scoring chances.

I don't even care about the PP. I didn't expect anything from that in the first place, and the way we've been running up the shot count, we should be more than capable of scoring in other ways. As offensive stalwarts Michael Frolik and Brendan Morrison have proved.

Anyone blaming Andrew Brunette alone really has an axe to grind. Or else is just clueless about the way hockey is played.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:04 AM
  #12
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
Confidence in Crawford would fix our Defense. They're all (aside from SOD) good defenseman, but they scramble like crazy at everything because they don't want to give up a shot and/or anything remotely resembling a quality opportunity.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:12 AM
  #13
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Confidence in Crawford would fix our Defense. They're all (aside from SOD) good defenseman, but they scramble like crazy at everything because they don't want to give up a shot and/or anything remotely resembling a quality opportunity.
Don't think I agree with this. Leddy, Oduya and Hammer are scared of their own shadows in their own zone, sometimes Keith can be included as well. They turn the puck over like it is their job. SOD is just done.

Not that I think Crawford is getting the job done.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:45 AM
  #14
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,260
vCash: 500
making stupid mistakes and horrendus decisions on the ice

The Yotes can't even creat a chance. We handed them ALL 3 games and all they had to do was say THANK YOU

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:51 AM
  #15
MTP
I Love Shinpads
 
MTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
51% Team Defense - With less panic and better puck possession, we wouldn't even be going to OT.

49% Corey Crawford - With better goaltending, we wouldn't be losing in OT off of plays that barely register as scoring chances.

I don't even care about the PP. I didn't expect anything from that in the first place, and the way we've been running up the shot count, we should be more than capable of scoring in other ways. As offensive stalwarts Michael Frolik and Brendan Morrison have proved.

Anyone blaming Andrew Brunette alone really has an axe to grind. Or else is just clueless about the way hockey is played.
Speaks volumes as to how bad the coaching staff actually is.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:05 AM
  #16
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Ive been saying it since the 'Which team would you rather see in Round 1" thread- PHX is a team
built to beat us. Craw is not the problem here- you can only ask you goalie to bail you out so many times.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:08 AM
  #17
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,260
vCash: 500
bail you out so many times? He has to stop those. He has to make that save and in this case, there was no bail you out. Boedker didn't even shot the puck

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:13 AM
  #18
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
PP is obvious issue, has been all season. However, IMO its because they are constantly losing board battles for the puck.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:17 AM
  #19
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,157
vCash: 500
I went with coaching. Some of the decisions Q has made have been truly perplexing.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:19 AM
  #20
Hawkscap
Registered User
 
Hawkscap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Scratching your 2nd best face off guy says it all.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:20 AM
  #21
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,260
vCash: 500
Mayers did nothing those last games

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:22 AM
  #22
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte
 
MadhouseOnMadison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Ive been saying it since the 'Which team would you rather see in Round 1" thread- PHX is a team
built to beat us. Craw is not the problem here- you can only ask you goalie to bail you out so many times.
Craw is a big part of the problem. Trade our $2m goalie for their $2m goalie and then tell me we don't win this series in 5 games.

Smith has had to play out of his mind to stop shots from going in and those have ended up being game winning saves. So it's ridiculous to pin most of this on our D. Every team has defensive breakdowns, the Hawks cause them all the time with their skill and speed. We just can't capitalize on them because other teams have goalies that can consistently make big saves. As Hawks fans we're just brainwashed into thinking its all on the defense because we haven't had a goalie who could steal a game like that in a long time, although Niemi had his moments.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:25 AM
  #23
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Confidence in Crawford would fix our Defense. They're all (aside from SOD) good defenseman, but they scramble like crazy at everything because they don't want to give up a shot and/or anything remotely resembling a quality opportunity.
How can you say they are good d-men when I'm terrified whenever 2/7 aren't on the ice. Hawks right now have two top pair guys, and four guys who should be on the third pair (or sitting in the press box).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
  #24
greasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Crawford is not the problem. The team only plays hard when they are down 1 goal when there is less than 2 minutes left in the game.

We need to address our soft perimeter style of play, PP, terrible forecheck, and breakouts.

greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
  #25
ObeyMashinter
Registered User
 
ObeyMashinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Crawford is not a Stanley cup caliber goalie. You will not win one with him in goal. Two of the weakest goals I have seen.

Its to the point where I would take Hackett or Thibault in goal over Crawford/Emery.


Last edited by ObeyMashinter: 04-20-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: sp
ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.