HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The biggest reason Chicago is losing this series

View Poll Results: Biggest reason?
Corey Crawford 17 19.77%
Team Defense 16 18.60%
Lack of scoring, PP or otherwise 34 39.53%
Coaching (line-ups, systems etc) 17 19.77%
Andrew Brunette 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Seasons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
PP is obvious issue, has been all season. However, IMO its because they are constantly losing board battles for the puck.
+1 to board battles, and people not named Keith/Seabrook being scared of the forecheck.

Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post

Smith has had to play out of his mind to stop shots from going in
No he hasn't. He hasn't had to stand on his head by any stretch.

Most of the shots that he's seeing are from far out with no screen. How many times can professional hockey players shoot a puck right into the goalie's gut?

He's played well, but make no mistake, Phoenix is severely limiting our good scoring chances through very solid team defense. We can't get good shots, we can't receive passes near their net due to smothering coverage and we can't get rebounds due to everyone having their man.

Make no mistake, Phoenix is putting on a freaking clinic.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
DontToewzMeBro

Transition game: Chicago turns the puck over when it hurts the most and Phoenix just falls back and gets into lanes. This is why we are loosing.

2#
Goaltending in OT.
Two goals that are easily stoppable, and totally negate his stellar play in regulation

3#
Scoring-
This team is making it awfully easy on Smith. Where's Buff at to cause some ruckus??

4#Power-play
Same old story

5#Coaching
Some of the decisions just baffle us. o Donell and Leddy 2 minutes into OT?
Olsen not playing?
SOD>Lepisto,Olsen hmmmm.

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:23 AM
villain

Amongst most of the above reasons, they have no heart. They honestly just don't look like they want it as bad as when they won the cup.

villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Transition game: Chicago turns the puck over when it hurts the most and Phoenix just falls back and gets into lanes. This is why we are loosing.

2#
Goaltending in OT.
Two goals that are easily stoppable, and totally negate his stellar play in regulation

3#
Scoring-
This team is making it awfully easy on Smith. Where's Buff at to cause some ruckus??

4#Power-play
Same old story

5#Coaching
Some of the decisions just baffle us. o Donell and Leddy 2 minutes into OT?
Olsen not playing?
SOD>Lepisto,Olsen hmmmm.
On the rare occasion we do get a guy in front of the net, we generally have at least got a decent look.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:27 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
None of the above. Hello, it's Bowman punting the season at the trade deadline, plain and simple. All of the problems you mentioned are solved or at least have viable solutions, IF Bowman chose to act. He punted the season instead and this is what you get, bon appetite.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
greasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
Crawford is not a Stanley cup caliber goalie. You will not win one with him in goal. Two of the weakest goals I have seen.

Its to the point where I would take Hackett or Thibault in goal over Crawford/Emery.
Crawford gave us 60 minutes to win and to blame the whole game on Crawford is stupid. Nothing about our play in the first 58 minutes of the game said that we deserved to be in the game.

greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
cherrypik

1. Blowman (All his offseason FA acq. were terrible and expected Q to play two guys that belonged in the AHL in Krueger and Leddy)
2. Q and Kitchen (All three systems PK, PP and team D)Why would anyone put Krueger and Brunette on the 2nd PP?
3. Stars players - Keith is terrible, seemed to loss a step, he's undersized for a dmen, make a ton of dumb decisions and has to be the only guy in the league that can't get a shot on net.
Sharp-Where has his speed gone? What happened to that accurate shot?
Bolland-trade him because he's been MIA(except for 4 games in 11 SCP) since the Cup run.

Last edited by cherrypik: 04-20-2012 at 11:57 AM.
cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Lol, Blowman, I like it, witty.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:00 AM
BarDownBrown

You can't win with a powerplay that can't even get a decent scoring chance, plain and simple.

The set up is still that same as it was for the whole season, so that falls on the idiotic coaching staff.

Guys, if our powerplay was a few percent better with the powerplay chances we were given down the stretch and in the playoffs, we wouldn't be facing elimination... we wouldn't even be facing the Yotes in the playoffs probably.. we'd be looking at a 4th place finish with home ice.

The terrible (emphasis on TERRIBLE) powerplay has ****ed this team over all year. Like I said it's one thing to generate good chances and just not put the puck in, but our powerplay barely ever gets a shot on the average chance. What the **** is that?

It's pretty bad when I don't even get excited when we are given a powerplay anymore, I sometimes change the channel to something else until it's over actually.

BarDownBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:09 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Defense is a big part of it, which can be tied to coaching. Crawford has been both spectacular and awful, and comes in at third.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Hoss, you can't really think it's Andrew Brunette?

Old
04-20-2012, 11:30 AM
elvisisalive

This is mostly on Crawford. You cant let pathetic goals in, in overtime that my grandmother would have stopped. he was quoted as saying "I dont know how it went in" Well ding ding keep your stupid stick on the the ice, how hard is that, why in the world while butterflying did he turn his stick away. That had to be one of the stupidest goals Ive seen in a long time, outside of Fluery's score on himself one a few games ago. Their biggest advantage is that their goalie is outplaying ours by a wide margin, Everything falls apart if you cant trust your goaltending. The D are terrified of making mistakes because they know it means the pucks in the back of then net. you cant play with confidence when your goaltending sucks. Thats the bottom line to all of this.

elvisisalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
hawksfan50

Well ---lots of reasons our Blackhawks are down 3-1 in the series.....

BUT the debate about the FAIL in "primary" scoring (from the big bucks "stars" --Toews,Kane Sharp --just 2 GOALS between the 3 biggies paid to put pucks into the net---abd of course Hossa gets a "pass" because he went out in Game 3 --BUT there is no proof HE would be "effective' as a GOAL scorer either against THIS excellent defensive TEAM of PHoenix playing in Tippet's disciplined structures "system" of blocking shots,correct positional play,and "TEAM" support for each other VS. the Hawks woeful goaltending issue with Crawford...so WHICH "FAIL" element is WORSE and so more to BLAME for this fiasco?

WELL-- the 1st "FAIL" --lack of "primary" goal scoring is PARTIALLY the result of a PHEONIX success--credit where credit is due --- I am not sure what the players or coaches can do to effect a different result fromtheis FAIL area BUT I also do not hink either TOEWS or SHARP are playing their "best" "A" games ..With Toews there is the comeback after concussion excuse--perhaps valid ---with Sharp --he always is streaky and unfortunately for us-he is "OFF" and "COLD" so far with just the "ONE GOAL" -not enough from our top "sniper" ...so perhaps Toews and Sharp could play "better" -at least we can hope that THIS TIME-it just isn't teir year for a good playoffs BUT on laws of average there willbe future years they WILL return to "A" form...AS for Kane --he has tried his best but his FAIL--as a GOAL SCORER --has manifest ALL YEAR with very few exceptions-in short he has not justifieda $6.3million /year investment--You pay the big bucks to guys who are "go to" that is-gET PUCKS INTO THE NET...He is basically-on a good night-a 1 assist and out guy...simply not realy a "difference-maker" enough of the time to beat goalies often enough to justify the big bicks..WE NEED better from a $6.3 million 'go to" guy...
SO--had we just 2/4 of our "big gun" "STARS" (Toews,Kane, Sharp ,Hossa) in the lineup AND giving us "A" form RESULTS --that certainly would be "difference-making"--but ALAS --all 4 have in one form or another , FAILED to reach "A" form..so
credit to PHOENIX for eliniminating their 'difference-making" one way or another
BUT still we EXPECT at least 50% of the top 4 big guns to "PERFORM " with results-if not--what chance cAN WE HAVE against any NHL team let alone defensively dogged PHOENIX?

SO this FAIL is IN FACT on the shoulders of our big 4 up front -and this time EPIC FAIL.

THe 2nd issue --CRAWFORD's goaltending---the facts speak for themselves:

4GP only a .900 save %; whereas MIKE SMITH in 4GP is at .940 save%

THIS is the difference-making element -WE do not a ve a difference-maker/EQUALIZER in net--PHOENIX does...
CRAWFORD has managed to FAIL at the most CRUCIAL of times-yes he makes saveat other times that a lot of NHL goalies won't -but in the CRUX -BOTH after he lets in a goal in regulation OR after we just have scored-he finds a way to give up a goal within a very short time thereafter-this habit is DEMORALIZING to our team-you cannot give up 2 in very quick succession or give up 1 seconds after we just scored
--these traots indicate WEAK MENTAL FORTITUDE and ATTENTION SPAN ...CANNOT HAPPEN with elute goalies-which we do not have.
THEN if the game goes to OT he gives up 2 soft goals in consecutive OT home games to Boedker --an elite goalie STOPS those --saves the day in the CRUX when it is all on the line in OT..

ON all counts then, massive FAIL by Crawford.

In retrospect-- WE can't do much about a FAIL of all 4 top guns at the SAME TIME
(for various reasons--in or out of the lineup) --as i said in another maybe at least 2 of the 4 provide some missing goals we did not get this series (so far) ----BUT our TOP BRASS CAN do something about us not having an ELITE GOALIE with if not a .940 save % --at least a ,920 save % --such that SOME games do not get to OT because he steals gamesand stops PHOENIX from scoring (even as little as they do)
OR he makes the BIG SAVE on Boedker -like break-aways which were goals not resulting from "great" shots but rather "weak" goalie efforts...

IN short-IF we cannot improve EVERYTHING for next season-let us at least improve ONE thing we can control--that is GOALTENDING ...a .900 save % simply doesn't cut it...AND IF we cannot get a better goalie "IMMEDIATELY" (in the off-season) we must AT LEAST start i that direction by drafting a candidate in round ONE and maybe again in round TWO of this draft to load up the pipeline with even BETTER prospects than we currently have in net...
And we must keep doing this till we find "THE ONE" and get our SMITH,RINNE,ELLIOTT
because CRAWFORD is NOT GOOD ENOUGH...

SO fix "systems",PP,PK --yes; fix top 4 big gun underperformance ---yes
--but these things may just cycle differently in different years ..however the GOALTENDING FACT of CRAWFORD being a .900 goalie instead of a .920 or better one -simply will not change -even IF he played on better defensive teanms than ours --he would still "CRACK" at the crucial moments --after we just scored-he lets them score back in seconds; after they score,he promptly gives up another one in quick succession, or in OT he gives up "soft" goals /can't stop break-aways---these are FLAWS of a weak MIND.lack of CONCENTRATION--- failing to batten down the hatches and just be a WALL when it is NECESSARY the most!
WE cannot TOLERATE these flaws much longer-he needs to be REPLACED with BETTER as soon as possible.

AS for the big 4 guns-MAYBE they all stay healthy next year in the playoffs--maybe at least 2 of the 4 produce because unlike this year ,next year they will "feel it" better and perform to their "A" best..As I said often tese things go cyclical -different year different results. THIS year though it looks like it just was not in the cards for all 4 of them...but at least we can HOPE for better in future years from them..

WE cAN"T hope for better from Crawford because we all have seen him "CRACK" at the worst possible times...this is not cyclical nor systems
but rather an expression of the MEDIOCRE -so here is at least 1 problem we CAN and must FIX .

There are other problems-lack of physicality in forwards AND d-corps...Poor PP,PK...
BUT before these get addressed - having an EQUALIZER in net -makes up for most other flaws in a team..LET US START with the problem in net
..solve that,get at least one specialty team to improve to top 5 in the league,and get "A" results from at least 50% of the 4 big guns -do just these 3 things --and YOU WILL SEE DIFFERENCE-MAKING...Rome can't ALL be re-built in a day--BUT we can START with SOME areas of improvement. ALAS too late for this year.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Special teams & Losing board battles

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Trapper2530

i think its scoring the hawks have out shot phoenix 164-120, an average of 11 more shots a game, phoenix is averaging 30 shots a game while chicago is averaging 41, they need to put the puck in the net

Trapper2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:58 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I'm sorry but when your goalie gives up two soft goals in overtime, that pretty much says it.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
North Metro Peewees

Just curious....I've watched all 4 games and am wondering how you can blame Andrew Brunette? Seriously, your goaltending has been embarrassing and your top players didn't bother showing up for most of the series so far.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Just curious....I've watched all 4 games and am wondering how you can blame Andrew Brunette? Seriously, your goaltending has been embarrassing and your top players didn't bother showing up for most of the series so far.
He shouldn't be blamed and really should be scratched.

Sharp
Crawford
Leddy
Oduya

can all be blamed.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
BronYrAur

It's gotta be defense. They dominated most of the game last night and let in two really bad goals that were direct results of breakdowns in the defensive zone. Gotta eliminate those mistakes and get the puck out more efficiently.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Panzerspitze

Team defense and bad special teams are really both coaching issues too. Their bad PK has not been exposed as much in this series as the PP only because Phoenix has the 29th-ranked PP in the regular season + they are/were missing Hanzal or Vrbata.

Last edited by Panzerspitze: 04-20-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Panzerspitze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Madhouse Mafia

It's quite perplexing, whats going on with the team. I thought Q should've been gone around the trade deadline the way he let this team get away from him (as much as I like/love the guy). Bowman hasn't made very good moves or at least made the right ones. With that in mind, it's really hard to pinpoint the blame. Based on what I see the team on the ice is punch-less. No fire. I'd like to think this would be different with Carcillo out there, but who knows? It seems like we turn it on for 5-10 minutes and we're skating around everyone and then we spend the other half the period clearing the puck to the neutral zone. I see all the guys out there doing the same thing. Hjammer will lay out some big hits and fly around for a shift or two and then you forget he's out there. I see Kane doing the same thing where he plays with intensity and then it just evaporates. Whatever the case it looks like Phoenix got in our heads but if trends hold true, this team is capable of rattling off a 4-5 game winning streak when it matters most, so we'll see what happens. I'm not gonna weep until next season comes and I don't see significant changes through out the organization.

No panic mode here.

Madhouse Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Madhouse Mafia

I read everyone's posts after I posted and everyone is nailing it right on the head. Team is essentially dead in the water. it's just tough for me to blame it on Keith or Toews or Sharp or Bolland, even though they all deserve a share of the blame. Like I said before it's on and off and Phoenix is more resilient. I thought all year we were cup contenders and I still think we are if we can pull this off, but we have to really bite down and do it right. Everyone on this squad should know what it takes. The guys that were here in '10 know what they have to do and are more than capable of shouldering the load. Just seems they don't want to..

btw, major props to Frolik for showing up.

Madhouse Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Anyone blaming Bolland is wrong. He's been downright effective and creating the second the games really start to matter.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:48 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Let's be honest the moves that bowman made didn't pan out, you moved campbell because of his horrible contract and that hopes were leddy starts to fill that roll and so far he hasn't, still a young kid but he's fast, why he never uses his speed is beyond me.

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote