HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Quebec tuition crisis thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Clipitar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I don't blame them one bit for losing patience with these whiny students.

All this screeching and crying over what started as the smallest of tuition increases (an increase to the lowest tuition fees in the country, I might add), and these imbeciles are acting like the Habs are moving to Cleveland or something.

They're doing themselves no favours by playing hardball and refusing to budge, and now come across looking like spoiled little brats. Nothing more. I hope this whole unnecessary ordeal backlashes and hits them in the face so hard. Then again, that would be unfair to the students who are mature enough to realize the increase really doesn't matter in the long run, and who are actually trying to learn something this semester.
Try educating yourself and stop reading what the media from the ROC tell you.

See this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Dude, people that are banging pans are people from all horizons and all ages protesting the ridiculous Bill 78. It's not just students anymore.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post

See this:
Where is there lower tuition in Canada?

Old
05-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Wetcoaster

Rex Murphy is wondering where NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair is in all this. Too busy castigating the West perhaps?
Rex Murphy: Mulcair is too loud on Alberta, too mute on Quebec

It also has occurred to many Canadians that while Mr. Mulcair is extremely fluent, even voluble, on the subject of Alberta, and the development of the oil sands, he and all 57 members of his Quebec caucus seem quite mute on the subject of the turmoil and riots on the streets of Montreal.

It’s an odd spectacle. Dabble freely in Alberta’s affairs, but stay quiet on the home province.

Mr. Mulcair has said, obscurely, that he sees education as a “provincial jurisdiction.” That is an ignominious passing of the buck in the context of the last 100 days.
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ute-on-quebec/

Kind of an odd claim by Mulcair since the last time I checked resources such as oil and gas are also under "provincial jurisdiction".

Old
05-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
To be fair, part of the reason tuition fees are going up is piss-poor university management. While a lot of students knew this was going on, but didn't really do anything about it, asking them to make up all the difference isn't really fair.
Or rather, it isn't really fair until the horrible university management isn't fixed.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you don't mind putting on the subtitles.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:31 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
(an increase to the lowest tuition fees in the country, I might add)
Never gets old.

I'll help you out a little.

Income tax in Ontario:

Income tax in Québec:

Sales tax in Ontario: 8%

Sales tax in Québec: 9.5%

Do you understand why we expect cheaper public services than you?

Old
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Never gets old.

Income tax in Ontario:

Income tax in Québec:

Try to suggest maybe cutting healthcare, old-age security, CPP or other benefits given to the older generations (who will retire at 65, us at 67 or maybe even later depending on how the government wants to **** you in the ass).

We are in debt because of terrible decisions made by the past generations and it will be my generation who will have to pay it off and they want to make us pay more even before we start our career?

Not everyone wants to begin their professional life with 30k in the red.

The beauty of it all is that students that are in University now, students like me who have only 1-2 years left, this won't affect us. We protest for the future, for the kids that will be going through University in 4-5 years and who will pay twice more as we do for the same education. I am proud of this solidarity the youth of Quebec have shown.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Never gets old.

Income tax in Ontario:

Income tax in Québec:

"Expect"?

The protesters have been loudly demanding it in the streets for months. All over a few hundred bucks every year for, what is it, seven years?

Tuition costs money. Always will, in Canada. Students should simply get over it and get back to class. Pretending to be some kind of "freedom fighter" or a martyr for the cause against "evil government", just looks so damn silly right now.

When the TTC raised fares to $3.00, were the dangerous, ongoing protests and riots in the streets of Toronto, and demands that public transit be free? Nope. We accepted it, and moved on. Why? Because crying over the smallest of increases is pointless, that's why.

Our country would look a lot better if these kids would just do the same. Enough crying already.

05-26-2012, 12:47 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post

See this:
Not only that but we also pay more taxes than the rest of the country. It's only logical our services are more accessible than in the ROC. Plus, if it's what we want as a society, it's our choice.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the raise if the government were doing a real effort to not waste and keep the finances in a good state. Instead, the debt more than doubled during the Charest era, there's countless scandals and a lot of them are about waste of money or giving away our resources. I still can't believe he gave away 4000G$ of oil for 35M$. What a ****ing joke. Then you have Plan Nord where he's giving away our resources for nothing, even sometimes paying for then to come exploit it and ship it to their countries. Can't we transform it here?

It's just super irritating to be asked to do more and see the government waste money. Then, their argument is I shouldn't have a cellphone(which is actually useful, at least for me) so I can pay the hike. Yeah, **** you. And it's our generation that will have to clean this mess and that with an inverted demographic pyramid.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:52 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
"Expect"?

The protesters have been loudly demanding it in the streets for months. All over a few hundred bucks every year for, what is it, seven years?

Tuition costs money. Always will, in Canada. Students should simply get over it and get back to class. Pretending to be some kind of "freedom fighter" or a martyr for the cause against "evil government", just looks so damn silly right now.

When the TTC raised fares to $3.00, were the dangerous, ongoing protests and riots in the streets of Toronto, and demands that public transit be free? Nope. We accepted it, and moved on. Why? Because crying over the smallest of increases is pointless, that's why.

Our country would look a lot better if these kids would just do the same. Enough crying already.
Yeah, compare a raise to 3$ to a raise of 1625$/1778$. Also, maybe you should look on how student debt is a problem in both Canada and in the US. Why would we want to emulate your system? For a broken province, they sure have a whole lot of money to pay extra hours to cops...

Old
05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
"Expect"?

Small increase? 200% is significant to me. I don't care what the rest of Canada pays. In Quebec, we pay high taxes to have access to low education. It was a virtue adopted during the Quiet Revolution.

Stay silent now, and in a few years they will increase it further. Keep your lack of backbone to yourself, the world would be a terrible place if it was filled with people that just let themselves get pushed around.

I love to hear stories of how students graduate with 30-50k in debt, and some upwards of 80k in the US. That's enough to have a mortgage on a house. That is not something we in Quebec think is right.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Where is there lower tuition in Canada?
I was referring to the current movement which goes much further than the tuition hikes.

And, quite honestly, lots of people in Québec don't really use other provinces' individual complexions as an ultimate standpoint. I would rather say many different types of programs from Scandinavian countries serve as inspirational standpoints. At least much more than what Alberta or Ontario, for instance, operate and legislate on many given issues.

In other words, we know the tuition fees are higher in the ROC. But ultimately it just isn't such a great argument to shut up people who don't like how the current government is trying to socioeconomically shift things up.

Old
05-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Rocko604

I keep reading "we pay high taxes, so we expect lower costs".

Makes sense, but exactly how much taxes are students paying in Quebec?

Closed Thread