HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A Eurpean Superleague"

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
A Eurpean Superleague"

This is from an article on USAToday:

"Halpern believes the NHL can get fans back, but he worries about what will happen if the season is canceled. "In Canada and some parts of the U.S., I think the game will always be fine, but it would be very difficult to win back the fans if you lose the season," he said.

Agent Neil Abbott sees worse.

"I've got players in Europe," he said. "There is talk of a European super league. If this thing (NHL season) goes down, all bets are off. Chaos follows.""

The entire article said nothing new. But I thought that these things are interesting. Basically, Jeff Halpern thinks that there are some current NHL cities that will NEVER recover their fan base if an entire season is cancelled. I tend to agree. Much like Montreal and Toronto never recovered from the baseball strike, so too will a good number of current NHL teams.
As for the agent's remarks, well interesting to say the least. If a European Superleague is formed, the NHL will loose more than just European players (who are far more likely to stay home, and get paid more, than in Bettman's $31 cap NHL), but also some North American players (if they can get paid more, why wouldn't they?) as well. Under such a scenario, the NHL would no longer be the premier league in the world.

Closed Thread