HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Dallas-Pittsburgh

Old
04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDogsandLeafs View Post
However, I do see quite a bit of the Penguins and he was as impressive as most Pens fans made him out to be.
I guess that really speaks to how good a player can look with a ton of talent on the ice with him.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:18 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I guess that really speaks to how good a player can look with a ton of talent on the ice with him.
I think he can get there with Dallas, he just needs to grow into his role.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
How about a slightly used Brendan Morrow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Seeing as how Morrow only has the one season left on his deal that could be pretty interesting for the Pens? basically as a one year experiment for a wing solution and worst case scenario he's off the books after one season when we need that money for Staal et al and we rid ourselves of Martin's contract.

Ideally we could find some sort of cheapish reclamation project winger to ship Martin out for, but this wouldn't be a bad option I don't think, unless there's a winger in free agency that was worth making a play at, but I'd be keen to sort out the contract situations for Staal, Sid etc before making any long term commitment to a new winger anyway and this could give the Pens a season to do that.
I agree, this idea piqued my interest too. $4.1m is a lot of money to pay a winger that only had 11 goals last year, but Morrow had 33 the year before and still had a shooting percentage of 12.5% which is really good.

Did he look like he had lost it last year? Or was it more a factor of injuries?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I agree, this idea piqued my interest too. $4.1m is a lot of money to pay a winger that only had 11 goals last year, but Morrow had 33 the year before and still had a shooting percentage of 12.5% which is really good.

Did he look like he had lost it last year? Or was it more a factor of injuries?
His injuries really messed up his season, and it showed both on his on-ice play and his lack of leadership.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
His injuries really messed up his season, and it showed both on his on-ice play and his lack of leadership.
I knew he was injured last year, but can't remember what the injury was, can you refreshy memory please? Is it something he'll have a hard time fully recovering at this point in his career?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDogsandLeafs View Post
His offensive abilities were over hyped and he was not good in his own end when he was with the Pens. Have I seen enough Stars games to rate him since? No. However, I do see quite a bit of the Penguins and he was as impressive as most Pens fans made him out to be.

Quote:
While that's certainly part of it, I think the other part is how he was playing protected minutes on the 3rd pairing.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

martin will be traded for a winger or picks/prospects

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I knew he was injured last year, but can't remember what the injury was, can you refreshy memory please? Is it something he'll have a hard time fully recovering at this point in his career?
Everything was injured: Elbow, neck, back, etc.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:45 PM
IceDogsandLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
martin will be traded for a winger or picks/prospects
A mid level draft pick and prospect would make the most sense if it was coming from a team with lots of cap space. The Penguins don't need to dump Martin's salary simply to pick up say an overpaid winger.

IceDogsandLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
While that's certainly part of it, I think the other part is how he was playing protected minutes on the 3rd pairing.
Pretty much.

Goligoski wasn't really counted on here. He was our #5 D-Man and whatever we got out of him was just a bonus.

I've always been a fan of his though. The guy has stretches where he looks like such a beast offensively. He had one of those for us a few years ago at the start of the season and another last year right after he got traded. He just needs to be more consistent. Not sure he ever will be though. Hopefully for Dallas he does get to that point.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
hctopcheds11

I would do a Martin for Morrow swap.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
So would I.

Some risk to it. Martin is overpaid and needs a change of scenery/different system. I'd be surprised if he didn't have a few more good seasons before he's done though. Morrow I'm not so sure. Seems like his body breaking down and he may not hold up physically.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
So would I.

Some risk to it. Martin is overpaid and needs a change of scenery/different system. I'd be surprised if he didn't have a few more good seasons before he's done though. Morrow I'm not so sure. Seems like his body breaking down and he may not hold up physically.
But it helps in so many ways for the Pens. For one, it's one year of 4.1 million. Even if he is awful, you are saving 900k in cap room and at worst, you are getting a solid third liner to play with Staal. At best, the guy can be a force. If he goes back to the Morrow from two years ago, him and Crosby would be dominant together.

In theory, even if the Pens hate his game and don't want to re-sign him, that cap hit is off the books after one year just in time for Sid/Staal/Letang.

Martin has a shot to redeem himself in Dallas and become the defender he was in NJ and his first year in Pittsburgh.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:36 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I wouldn't. I also don't want Morrow back next year either...

Old
04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Not to further derail this, but what do you think Morrow could fetch?

I dont want a pick because it wouldn't be somebody that can help us win now, unless we somehow traded up, and I dont think we could get an NHL ready young winger either.

IMO, it is down to a player who underperformed based on their contract like Martin, and I think Martin is near to top of these kind of players in terms of helping the Stars.

Old
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree. I think we could get a lot more for Morrow.

Would one of our 3rds + McKenzie be enough? Some said a mid pick and a prospect would be enough, but I'd only do it if we were able to trade Robidas in a separate deal.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
burgess1978

Martin may get traded, but it's not like he's a bad player. Compare his situation (the situation - not the player) to Kuba's. One bad year after a solid, consistent career and the fans were ready to give him away for nothing - same with Martin. If the Penguins need cap space that's one thing, but Martin has every chance of being very good next year.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Martin may get traded, but it's not like he's a bad player. Compare his situation (the situation - not the player) to Kuba's. One bad year after a solid, consistent career and the fans were ready to give him away for nothing - same with Martin. If the Penguins need cap space that's one thing, but Martin has every chance of being very good next year.
Pretty much.

Like I posted earlier, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a few more good seasons before he's done.

Old
04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Not to further derail this, but what do you think Morrow could fetch?
That really depends on which teams would be interested. I don't have a blanket hope for what he could generally return but I think there are a handful of teams who would be interested enough for Nieuwendyk to let him go, assuming that JN is looking to change the culture of the leadership on the team. I think whether or not he's traded depends almost entirely on if Nieuwendyk categorically wants him off the team rather than a team making a tempting enough offer.

I don't think taking on a player who makes more money than Morrow and is locked up for three more years is the best way to go. I'm just opposed to the idea of acquiring Martin in general though.

Quote:
IMO, it is down to a player who underperformed based on their contract like Martin, and I think Martin is near to top of these kind of players in terms of helping the Stars.
That's a pretty big assumption. We don't know how Morrow is viewed around the league.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
That's a pretty big assumption. We don't know how Morrow is viewed around the league.
Call me a pessimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if nobody wants to offer much because of his health issues.

Old
04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Some team somewhere will pay for that risk.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote