HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about Lu for a new starter?

Old
04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
JediPuckmaster777

vCash: 500
I think we have a few bigger fish to fry before worrying about our goalie.

JediPuckmaster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

The Sharks didn't even spend to the CAP this year. We had 2.3 mil left. Even if we got a goaltender for a couple mil that would be a savings of 1.8 mil. That ain't fixing the Sharks.

Niemi is not the problem with this team and HOPING that Greiss or another one of our prospects can carry the load is ridiculous. Give one of them the chance to steal the job? Yes. Take the chance of one of them as the starter and then get stuck with what might be left if it doesn't work is ridiculous.

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper

Last edited by Led Zappa: 04-21-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Korolyuk15

dear god no...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Eighth Fret

LMAO, I can't believe this thread.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
tHeExIsTeNtIaLiSt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cklZl5PgYLA

All this trade talk gives me a headache...all the potential possibilities...I figure who ever is left in charge should totally give up listening to any advice from the non occult...We must travel many great lengths to visit the witches...I feel only they could help us at this point...I mean they did know how to defeat the Kraken...Am I right?

tHeExIsTeNtIaLiSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Nooooo....

we want less headcases, not more.

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
To Hawks
G Antti Niemi

To Sharks
G Roberto Luongo

To Nucks
2nd round pick

Nucks dump the Luongo contract and can sign Schneider and be player in FA (Parise , etc)

Hawks get Niemi back and can stick Crawford in #2 role until he can be traded (Probably after getting some value back next year as #2)

Sharks get upgrade in net

All 3 teams could use the shakeup (ALl 3 look poised to depart early in round 1)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
No.....I wouldnt even give a 7th for Luongo. He is like the last thing this team needs.
THis.
Lou sux
We need Elliot

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
That contract is NASTY. Cap isn't bad but he's on contract until 2022. Who would take that? He might retire before then. Not worth it.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 03:24 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
And I could say the same about Niemi. I'd rather have him at 3.8 for another 3 years than Luongo at 5.33 for forever.
Fair enough. Just trying the gauge value.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
To Hawks
G Antti Niemi

To Sharks
G Roberto Luongo

To Nucks
2nd round pick

Nucks dump the Luongo contract and can sign Schneider and be player in FA (Parise , etc)

Hawks get Niemi back and can stick Crawford in #2 role until he can be traded (Probably after getting some value back next year as #2)

All 3 teams could use the shakeup (ALl 3 look poised to depart early in round 1)
We'll give you Niemi for the 2nd and leave Vancouver out of it.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
If the Sharks for some reason get Luongo, I'll kill somebody. Don't think they're going to be able to trade him anyways, thankfully.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:15 PM
rangerssharks414

Luongo is an upgrade over Niemi, but that contract is ridiculous. No thanks.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:33 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Ask about trading for Thornton? Thread locked immediately.
Ask about trading for Luongo? Debate for three+ pages.

Sense? This makes none of it. They're equally terrible ideas. Lock this garbage.

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

If we took Luongo off their hands, they'd have to overpay us as all we're doing is taking 5mil off their books.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 03:01 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Well, Niemi would be going back, obviously. He has more value because his contract is pretty good, and he's capable of stepping in for a dozen games if Schneider is injured/cold. I think Canucks fans expressed interest in Clowe, so I could include him, and maybe a younger defenseman like Demers or Braun, and a pick? I don't know, I personally don't like Kesler, so I'm probably low-balling, but I was not impressed with him at all this season. And injury can only explain so much.

As for Edler, I really like him, but I imagine that Vancouver would require Burns back and there is no way in hell I'd do that.
Niemi is good if you do 't have to worry about paying Schneider. Niemi is way to expensive to be a backup on a team with a real number 1. He's also not good enough to be anything more than a backup so his time in the NHL might be coming to an end, especially after that awful goal at the worst time possible.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Le Rosbeef

Ironic the hate for Niemi... we score 5 goals in the final 4 games of the series (after he won G1 for us) and he's in the sin bin? I think there are bigger issues at play...

As for Luongo. I like him but not on that contract.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

Ewwwww, no.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Arz1

LOL at this thread. There's no way in **** DW would touch Luongo. Anyone with even a bit of hockey sense realizes Niemi isn't the reason we are out. I still agree it's time to start giving our prospects some chances but still keep Niemi if things go bad, then maybe trade Niemi at the deadline if things go well with rookies.

However, when next season is starting, I think we will see Niemi and Greiss again.

Last edited by Arz1: 04-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Arz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Luongo is an upgrade over Niemi, but that contract is ridiculous. No thanks.
There's been a lot of talk about Luongo's contract and whether anyone wants it or not but I don't think that will be the biggest problem.

Luongo's caphit is 5.3 million and I don't think anyone can say that's bad. Even more so with the cap going up it seems every year. Luongo has 6 years left at 6.7mil/yr, so he will be 39 when that salary ends. Goalies are different than skaters so I wouldn't count it out that he's still worth the money at age 38/39. After that the last 4 years he doesn't get paid that much so if needed, he would be easy to bury in minors if that was necessary. Also IMO it's safe to say that at that point he would just retire, considering what kind of guy he is.

So yeah, it's really the next 6 years that count and I think there will be a lots of teams willing to take the risk that he can play those 6 years at high level. Not sure is SJ is one of those teams but in any case I doubt Vancouver wants to trade Luongo to San Jose anyways (I'd imagine East is the only way to go).

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Phu

The thought crossed my mind but the contract is difficult to swallow. The yearly cap hit is actually decent and would make him a good candidate but it's just. too. long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
San Jose has scored 7 goals in 4 games, 3 of which were scored in the final minutes of games already all but lost.

So clearly the answer is to "upgrade" the goaltending.

C'mon people.

If anything, I'd spend less and go with a Greiss/? tandem.
Actually upgrading goaltending will help us offensively a lot. Forwards won't have to spend so much time running around like idiots in our zone and getting scored on. A better goalie helps the breakout by moving the puck up ice. A better goalie keeps the other team from seizing momentum. And a better goalie lets the team play looser.

Griess might actually be worth a shot, but because he appears to be a better goalie than Niemi.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
To Hawks
G Antti Niemi

To Sharks
G Roberto Luongo

To Nucks
2nd round pick

Any trade to Chicago starts with Bolland/Sharp otherwise don't even bother.

Thanks

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:27 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
There's been a lot of talk about Luongo's contract and whether anyone wants it or not but I don't think that will be the biggest problem.

Luongo's caphit is 5.3 million and I don't think anyone can say that's bad. Even more so with the cap going up it seems every year. Luongo has 6 years left at 6.7mil/yr, so he will be 39 when that salary ends. Goalies are different than skaters so I wouldn't count it out that he's still worth the money at age 38/39. After that the last 4 years he doesn't get paid that much so if needed, he would be easy to bury in minors if that was necessary. Also IMO it's safe to say that at that point he would just retire, considering what kind of guy he is.

So yeah, it's really the next 6 years that count and I think there will be a lots of teams willing to take the risk that he can play those 6 years at high level. Not sure is SJ is one of those teams but in any case I doubt Vancouver wants to trade Luongo to San Jose anyways (I'd imagine East is the only way to go).
There was a Finnish study that showed that goalies average a decline at age 31 because that is when hip/groin issues creep in. By eyeball, it seems particularly true for butterfly guys. Brodeur has been off for a while and he is not a butterfly guy (hybrid). Thomas was not worked quite so hard early in his career. Hasek was hybrid. There is a falloff and it usually isn't that late. Actual $ may drop but the cap hit remains and it is inverse on cap hit if Luongo is no longer capable of playing but needs to be moved by buyout. And why should RL retire if he will still get paid no matter his performance? You can say a player has made enough already, but for the most part they all choose to milk the last penny out of their contract as that makes the most sense from a personal standpoint.

Please don't diminish the negatives of moving Luongo. And don't sell him as Vezina caliber at this point. He is a very good goalie, but he looks to be a little past the point where he will carry a team. I suspect that he will not garner much in return no matter the trading partners because of the negatives.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote