HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Best Spot for Torrey Mitchell

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2012, 12:12 AM
  #51
TheSandman
Registered User
 
TheSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwarter View Post
This is how I picture Mitchell...



Fast, energetic, probably can break up a play due to pure squirrlyness factor. But also has pretty much the same effect when he has the puck... who the F knows where it's gonna go?
This is among the more accurate depictions I've seen on HF.

TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:02 AM
  #52
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,085
vCash: 500
Mitchell was 3rd for on the Sharks for takeaway giveaway ratio for players that played more than 40 regular season games with the Sharks. Galliardi and Winnick had really high numbers that makes me think the Colorado stat taker was fudging numbers for that category.

Mitchell was 6th on the team in shooting percentage for players playing more than 40 games.

Mitchell was tied for 7th on the team in goals, tied with Dan Boyle. Players who had more goals were:
Logan Couture
Joe Pavelski
Patrick Marleau
Joe thornton
Ryan Clowe
Brent Burns

Mitchell was 14th on the team in PM, only Marleau, and Couture had fewer penalty minutes for players that played more than 70 games.

Mitchell's cap hit was 1.366mil

Mitchell may or may not be back next year, but for a guy making less than 1.5mil a year he did a good job. He's often first in on dump ins and is a good forechecker(as can be seen by his takeaway numbers). All this talk about Mitchell being useless is bull ****. If they find a replacement for him next year fine, but he was the best of the bottom 6 forwards over the course of the entire year. Desjardin was pretty good too and so was Wingles for a good stretch of the year but on a night in, night out basis Mitchell was the most consistant and best in the bottom six roll. McGinn was significantly better before he was traded but since he is on another team I'm not including him. I'm tired of all this Mitchell sucks talk because it's crap. You want to know who played like crap. Handzus, Moore, and Galliardi. Mitchell doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he gets on these boards and it is quite rediculous. I don't think McLellan deserves to coach the Sharks next year but he is not such an ignorant person that he would dress Mitchell instead of Winchester if he didn't think Mitchell made the team better. Guess what, McLellan knows a lot more about hockey than all of you. I still want McLellan fired for his failing PK strategy, but he still knows more about hockey than all of us combined. If you think Mitchell is replaceable, fine, but stop acting like Mitchell is a worthless hockey player, because he's not.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:59 AM
  #53
Dicdonya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Mitchell was 3rd for on the Sharks for takeaway giveaway ratio for players that played more than 40 regular season games with the Sharks. Galliardi and Winnick had really high numbers that makes me think the Colorado stat taker was fudging numbers for that category.

Mitchell was 6th on the team in shooting percentage for players playing more than 40 games.

Mitchell was tied for 7th on the team in goals, tied with Dan Boyle. Players who had more goals were:
Logan Couture
Joe Pavelski
Patrick Marleau
Joe thornton
Ryan Clowe
Brent Burns

Mitchell was 14th on the team in PM, only Marleau, and Couture had fewer penalty minutes for players that played more than 70 games.

Mitchell's cap hit was 1.366mil

Mitchell may or may not be back next year, but for a guy making less than 1.5mil a year he did a good job. He's often first in on dump ins and is a good forechecker(as can be seen by his takeaway numbers). All this talk about Mitchell being useless is bull ****. If they find a replacement for him next year fine, but he was the best of the bottom 6 forwards over the course of the entire year. Desjardin was pretty good too and so was Wingles for a good stretch of the year but on a night in, night out basis Mitchell was the most consistant and best in the bottom six roll. McGinn was significantly better before he was traded but since he is on another team I'm not including him. I'm tired of all this Mitchell sucks talk because it's crap. You want to know who played like crap. Handzus, Moore, and Galliardi. Mitchell doesn't deserve the amount of criticism he gets on these boards and it is quite rediculous. I don't think McLellan deserves to coach the Sharks next year but he is not such an ignorant person that he would dress Mitchell instead of Winchester if he didn't think Mitchell made the team better. Guess what, McLellan knows a lot more about hockey than all of you. I still want McLellan fired for his failing PK strategy, but he still knows more about hockey than all of us combined. If you think Mitchell is replaceable, fine, but stop acting like Mitchell is a worthless hockey player, because he's not.
Nice rant, i totally agree.

Mitchell is one of the few players that i absolutely noticed every shift because of his speed and tenacity with forechecking and did score i think more goals than any other bottom sixer? What more could he do honestly with inept scoring linemates like winchester,winnik,zeus,moore etc.

His wheels and willingess to actually finish his checks makes him a keeper at the right price in my mind.

What is even more confusing to me is that it seems most people dont like mitchel because he does not score much, yet they are high as a kite about wingels despite him scoring 9 points in 33 games this year, and had time up in the top six i believe while havlat was hurt, had a much worse shooting % than mitchell and is slower than mitchell. Now i understand wingels is younger and might turn out better overall than mitchell, but i certainly did not see anything from wingels this year to indicate hes got much more scoring touch than mitchell so why are people not jumping down wingels throat for not scoring any points or really contributing anything more than mitchell? Is 500k difference in salary really reason to separate these two so much?

By the way just to be clear, i would like wingels on the team too, I only used him as an example because everyone seems perfectly happy to resign him while sending goodbye cards to mitchell.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:48 AM
  #54
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
. .... fine, but stop acting like Mitchell is a worthless hockey player, because he's not.
mitchell absolutely deserves criticism - sure you listed guys that deserve MORE criticism but when you are on a complete and total loser like the 2012 sharks were, then there is PLENTY of criticism to go around. yes he was better than the worthless acquisitions that DW struck out on (nearly ALL of his moves in the past year were total failures!!), but he still sucked compared to what we all hoped he would be. he could be back but if we lose him i won't be sad. for ALL of that promise he showed like 4 years ago, he hasn't at all built on it.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:25 AM
  #55
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
mitchell absolutely deserves criticism - sure you listed guys that deserve MORE criticism but when you are on a complete and total loser like the 2012 sharks were, then there is PLENTY of criticism to go around. yes he was better than the worthless acquisitions that DW struck out on (nearly ALL of his moves in the past year were total failures!!), but he still sucked compared to what we all hoped he would be. he could be back but if we lose him i won't be sad. for ALL of that promise he showed like 4 years ago, he hasn't at all built on it.
Really, because he was exactly what I expected him to be. around 10 goals, bring energy every shift, be good on the forecheck. So because people on this board over valued him compared to what he has shown himself to be over the last couple of years he's a useless hockey player. Because his play matches his salary very closely he is a useless hockey player. Sorry, I don't buy that at all. If your expectations for Mitchell were higher than what he gave then you are just expecting too much out of him. It was obvious from his roookie year that he would never be as good as a player like Setoguchi, and when McGinn came in it was ovious McGinn had more tallent. If you thought Mitchell was better than he has shown to be, that's your fault, not Mitchells.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:44 AM
  #56
unintelligence
Registered User
 
unintelligence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: lurking
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
if he doesn't get any other offers in FA i'll bet DW resigns him for close to league minimum

even though he's not offensively gifted or a big body, the sharks can't afford to get any slower. you can't teach speed, so just his puck retrieval skills and tenacious forechecking alone makes his (hopefully) cheap contract worth it.

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:57 PM
  #57
Dicdonya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Really, because he was exactly what I expected him to be. around 10 goals, bring energy every shift, be good on the forecheck. So because people on this board over valued him compared to what he has shown himself to be over the last couple of years he's a useless hockey player. Because his play matches his salary very closely he is a useless hockey player. Sorry, I don't buy that at all. If your expectations for Mitchell were higher than what he gave then you are just expecting too much out of him. It was obvious from his roookie year that he would never be as good as a player like Setoguchi, and when McGinn came in it was ovious McGinn had more tallent. If you thought Mitchell was better than he has shown to be, that's your fault, not Mitchells.
I do find it hilarious that most people are mad at mitchell for not hitting his "potential" and not because he actually does anything terribly wrong for a 3rd/4th line player, or gets paid too much. Also everyone has been talking endlessly about needing team speed, but go ahead and ship off our 3rd or 4th fastest player on the team........

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
  #58
SonomaShark
SJ Chokers
 
SonomaShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligence View Post
if he doesn't get any other offers in FA i'll bet DW resigns him for close to league minimum

even though he's not offensively gifted or a big body, the sharks can't afford to get any slower. you can't teach speed, so just his puck retrieval skills and tenacious forechecking alone makes his (hopefully) cheap contract worth it.
I'd take Mitchell at near league minimum.

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
  #59
unintelligence
Registered User
 
unintelligence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: lurking
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
I do find it hilarious that most people are mad at mitchell for not hitting his "potential" and not because he actually does anything terribly wrong for a 3rd/4th line player, or gets paid too much. Also everyone has been talking endlessly about needing team speed, but go ahead and ship off our 3rd or 4th fastest player on the team........
concurred, although i'd say he's 2nd after marleau. then again, i don't know if we ever saw havlat at full speed this season, might be a toss up between them

unintelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  #60
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,046
vCash: 567
I don't hate Mitchell. I'm just disappointed in him. We were finally on to something with him and Pavelski and Wellwood, but they were too small for Vancouver.

His speed is useless because he doesn't know how to utilize it properly. He just runs in circles like a puppy.
He's too small and weak (bigger problem) to maintain any sort of board play.
He's regressed defensively. He used to be a top-flight PKer, but I don't know what happened there.

If he takes less than a million, I'd keep him, but not otherwise.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
  #61
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
Really, because he was exactly what I expected him to be. around 10 goals, bring energy every shift, be good on the forecheck. So because people on this board over valued him compared to what he has shown himself to be over the last couple of years he's a useless hockey player. Because his play matches his salary very closely he is a useless hockey player. Sorry, I don't buy that at all. If your expectations for Mitchell were higher than what he gave then you are just expecting too much out of him. It was obvious from his roookie year that he would never be as good as a player like Setoguchi, and when McGinn came in it was ovious McGinn had more tallent. If you thought Mitchell was better than he has shown to be, that's your fault, not Mitchells.
The problem with mitchell to me is that when the sledding gets tough, he isn't a net benefit. He is a functional 3rd liner and does give his all for us, however he game is too flawed for the kind of 3rd line we need to be competitors. In the playoffs he is likely to become a non-factor because he cannot possess the puck and he can't drive the net against strong defensive teams, nor can he beat strong players head to head defensively.

He is pure speed and effort, with no size and strength on the puck, which that makes him too one-dimensional. He can't impose his will, even at max effort. Winnick is an example of the type of 3rd liner we need, and while he will make more than Torrey, that is money well-spent for a more complete player. FWIW Winnik, with 3 goals in 21 games, was actually our best bottom-6 goalscorer.


Last edited by Phu: 04-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:20 AM
  #62
Dicdonya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
He is pure speed and effort, with no size and strength on the puck, which that makes him too one-dimensional. He can't impose his will, even at max effort. Winnick is an example of the type of 3rd liner we need, and while he will make more than Torrey, that is money well-spent for a more complete player. FWIW Winnik, with 3 goals in 21 games, was actually our best bottom-6 goalscorer.
I disagree a little with what you said, Mitchell is not THAT easy to knock of the puck, in fact I think his puck control under pressure is not that bad, its the decisions he makes in space with it that end up not so hot. Hes not horrible on the boards and seems to get a little overzealous if he is in open space.

Winnik was the best shooting % in the bottom six, but he had worse ppg than mitchell although by the slightest of margins. Ive seen people content with somewhere in the 2mil range for winnik if we resign him, and mitchell only makes 1.3 and probably would not get any more than that if he resigns here, and maybe even signs for less.

I dont know, mitchell is one of the few noticeable heart and soul players on this team, especially in the bottom six where guys like desi and moore and anyone not named winnik easily dissapeared or were unnoticable for entire shifts at a time, atleast you knew mitchy was out there cause he was flying every shift and throwing hits. Hes a bigger faster nichol with less agitating qualities, and we saw how nichol really helped jack us up this playoffs, do we really wanna get rid of another guy like him just cause he does not score a lot? I say sign the man, stick him on the 4th line, and tell him to get under the skins of the teams we play, if hes down with that i would be too.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
  #63
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
I disagree a little with what you said, Mitchell is not THAT easy to knock of the puck, in fact I think his puck control under pressure is not that bad, its the decisions he makes in space with it that end up not so hot. Hes not horrible on the boards and seems to get a little overzealous if he is in open space.
The Mitchell I see out there is second only to TJ Galiardi in being easiest to knock off the puck. And he doesn't just lose possession, he goes flying and gets taken out of the play.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 09:34 AM
  #64
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
somewhere else

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 10:43 AM
  #65
TealTownUSA
Registered User
 
TealTownUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 415
Country: United States
Posts: 1,105
vCash: 50
i'd hate to see him turn out like michalek or mcginn elsewhere. maybe we should wait on what the new coaching staff decides

^ whoever said under a mill, i'm good with that too.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.