HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs, Part Two.

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

vCash: 500
I'm intrigued but already bored with Blues/Kings haha. That has the potential to be a snoozefest although all the games should be close.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Schneider gives up one regulation goal in all three starts...and goes 1-2. Ouch.

Kid is a stud though. Gillis can get to work finding a destination for Lu.
I wonder how hard Burke would push for Luongo to Toronto. Even adequate/consistent netminding behind that team puts them right in the EC playoff race.

04-23-2012, 08:09 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I wonder how hard Burke would push for Luongo to Toronto. Even adequate/consistent netminding behind that team puts them right in the EC playoff race.
I want Luongo on the Leafs just for the lol factor. I imagine he wants nothing to do with the Toronto market. IF he gets traded, he uses his NMC to get to a nice small market.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
I want Luongo on the Leafs just for the lol factor. I imagine he wants nothing to do with the Toronto market. IF he gets traded, he uses his NMC to get to a nice small market.
Back to Florida??

Old
04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Back to Florida??
I'd guess Tampa.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
I'd guess Tampa.
Tampa would make some sense, but I don't know if Stevie Y wants anything to do with that contract.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Yeah, doubt he wants to go from Toronto West to Toronto East.

I think the Canucks would be foolish to not trade him. The return could be quite good. Schneider appears to have won the job, but Luongo is still a very good goaltender. I'm sure there are more than a few teams who would be interested...

...Islanders?

Old
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Back to Florida??
Quote:
I'd guess Tampa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Tampa would make some sense, but I don't know if Stevie Y wants anything to do with that contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Yeah, doubt he wants to go from Toronto West to Toronto East.

I think the Canucks would be foolish to not trade him. The return could be quite good. Schneider appears to have won the job, but Luongo is still a very good goaltender. I'm sure there are more than a few teams who would be interested...

...Islanders?
My guess? Winnipeg

Owners want to make them competitive now. Obvious need, not alot of long term contracts weighing them down. Though, Tampa is a another possibility. It's not a bad contract. Chances are he'll be retired over the last 4-5 years of his contract. 6.7 for an elite level goalie who will make you a contending team every year. Tampa is another option, obviously. Another less obvious choice could be detroit. Lot's of cap space, could use an upgrade between the pipes. Don't need him to stand on his head.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:51 AM
minuteater
does not cohmpeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
How did Raymond not score on that wraparound?

Carter and Richards haven't done anything in this game, they need to step it up.
Reminded me of a Vanek wraparound attempt.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if anyone wants that contract. Ten more years at $5.44m is a tough pill to swallow. I think Tampa has a few other options if they don't go with Luongo:

1) Shell out serious assets for Schneider if nobody wants Luongo and/or he doesn't agree to waive his NMC.

2) Make a deal for one of the other young goaltenders (Bernier, Lindback) who may be available this summer.

3) See if Tim Thomas becomes available. It's been rumored that Boston may make him available--especially if they lose in Round 1--and hand the reins to Rask, thereby being able to allocate Thomas' $5m elsewhere. Thomas' NMC expires on July 1. Then draft Subban, Vasilevski, or Dansk and start developing them.

___

Back on topic, I never cease to be amazed how much such a small sample of games can so greatly impact a player's value. It's wild. It reminds me of last year when Backstrom went from an elite 1C in a lot of people's minds to just an average 1C because he had a rough playoff.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
boots electric

There's going to be a decent number of interesting goalies hitting FA this year, particularly for teams looking for a stop-gap until a more suitable replacement can be found. Lots of solid backups out there, too

Broduer (NJ or retiring)
Roloson (retiring...hopefully)
Niittymaki
Chris Mason
Vokoun
Ellis
Clemmensen
Hedberg
Harding
Montoya
Biron

edit: sorry for going a bit OT. saw the goalie discussion and sort of forgot what thread i was in

Old
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
My guess? Winnipeg

Owners want to make them competitive now. Obvious need, not alot of long term contracts weighing them down. Though, Tampa is a another possibility. It's not a bad contract. Chances are he'll be retired over the last 4-5 years of his contract. 6.7 for an elite level goalie who will make you a contending team every year. Tampa is another option, obviously. Another less obvious choice could be detroit. Lot's of cap space, could use an upgrade between the pipes. Don't need him to stand on his head.

Ward 6.3 : No Playoffs, 2nd highest goalie cap
Miller 6.25 : No Playoffs, 3rd hightest goalie cap
Backstrom 6.0 : No playoffs, 4th highest goalie cap
Kiprusoff 5.8 : No playoffs : 5th highest goalie cap

Old
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

Ward 6.3 : No Playoffs, 2nd highest goalie cap
Miller 6.25 : No Playoffs, 3rd hightest goalie cap
Backstrom 6.0 : No playoffs, 4th highest goalie cap
Kiprusoff 5.8 : No playoffs : 5th highest goalie cap
High Cap hit != elite goalie.

Backstrom and Miller got injured.

Ward never was an elite goalie and is vastly overpaid.

Kipper is the only goalie on the list who played a full season healthy season. And even then the finished what, the 10 seed?

Old
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
High Cap hit != elite goalie.

Backstrom and Miller got injured.

Ward never was an elite goalie and is vastly overpaid.

Kipper is the only goalie on the list who played a full season healthy season. And even then the finished what, the 10 seed?
sorry, i misread your previous post...

regardless... GOALIES don't make a team a contender... but TEAM's do make goalies "elite"

Old
04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
sorry, i misread your previous post...

regardless... GOALIES don't make a team a contender... but TEAM's do make goalies "elite"
In some cases you're right, but not all.
I think Elite gets thrown around too much for describing players and their respective positions.

Hasek, Roy, Brodeur were all elite IMO. Lately it seems like a whole lot of very good goalies are getting labeled (and paid for) elite...

Old
04-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i desperately want to see Philly vs LA in the cup finals... the drama/storyline would be amazing... Richards vs Giroux would be legendary

Old
04-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
i desperately want to see Philly vs LA in the cup finals... the drama/storyline would be amazing... Richards vs Giroux would be legendary
As long as LA ends up winning, I'd be fine with that.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
As long as LA ends up winning, I'd be fine with that.
As much as I hate the flyers... im kinda falling for this team.... hard. i dont want my flyers hater card taken away... but i think im secretly rooting for them. i know... im going to hell

everything about the way they've built that team, the way they play, the way laviolette runs that ship... its just.... so.... god, the Sabres are so far away from contending...

It used to just be that I had a Love/Hate thing for Hartnell... but now it's Giroux being the best, Couturier being a monster 2 way guy, role playing "every shift" guys like Talbot and Simmonds, down to the steady and sure defensemen who never get their due, bottom pairing guys like Lilja...

/sorry

Old
04-23-2012, 04:40 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
As much as I hate the flyers... im kinda falling for this team.... hard. i dont want my flyers hater card taken away... but i think im secretly rooting for them. i know... im going to hell

everything about the way they've built that team, the way they play, the way laviolette runs that ship... its just.... so.... god, the Sabres are so far away from contending...

It used to just be that I had a Love/Hate thing for Hartnell... but now it's Giroux being the best, Couturier being a monster 2 way guy, role playing "every shift" guys like Talbot and Simmonds, down to the steady and sure defensemen who never get their due, bottom pairing guys like Lilja...

/sorry
No worries Jame, I'm right there with you. It hurts so good.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:

/sorry
The only thing I respect about that organization right now is that Holmgren saw the need to blow that 'core' up, and didn't hesitate one bit.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:

/sorry
I agree, I'm rooting for this Flyers team. Nothing stupider than hating a team because of the name of the team. So the Flyers and Sabres hated each other a few years back, so what? Makes about as much sense to hate the Flyers now as it does to be crowing over that 2007 President's Trophy. It happened. Different teams now.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

You're all dead to me now.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Depending on what happens in the other series, they may be the 2nd least objectionable team in the East (NJ/Florida being the first). Washington and the Rangers are less objectionable, Philly/Ottawa are about even, and hell to the no for the Bruins. I won't root for them, maybe just not against them either...except I hope if by some sorcery they make it to the WCF they get clobbered.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Still want Florida to go far. Dineen and a bunch of rejects, cast-offs, and mercenariers? Yes, please.

I can respect what the Flyers have done to build their team. I respect their aggressiveness in pursuit of talent. That doesn't change that I don't like them.

Old
04-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Flyers are gonna get shelled when they face a team with discipline and a competent D.

e: So it's them to the cup

e2: Also I'm bleedin' Cat blood. So easy to root for, plus always had a thing for them.

Closed Thread