HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Do the Sochi Olympics show the IOC is open to warm Winter Olympic hosts?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:33 AM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
OT: Do the Sochi Olympics show the IOC is open to warm Winter Olympic hosts?

http://deadspin.com/worried-about-th...ium=socialflow

The article is there to give an idea of what Sochi's situation is like. On average as well, Vancouver was a warm city to host the Olympics recently.

Do you think the IOC would have a limit to how "wintery" a city actually is as long as a ski hill is within a few hours?

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The IOC is going to have to go to Siberia, Whitehorse, etc, etc from now on ... jmho

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The IOC has realized the benefits of separating ice and alpine events as the Winter Olympics have outgrown the small ski villages that used to pass for host cities. The idea the likes of Lake Placid being able to host today is borderline farcical. Which gives cities like Barcelona and Nice, with warm temperatures but within driving distance of alpine ski resorts, a chance at hosting. I think right now a lot of people are enamored with the optics of the thing... palm trees and snowboarding all at once. I think that element of it will get old pretty fast, I wouldn't hold my breath for another warm weather city hosting aside from the two I just mentioned. But it does mean the games will become almost exclusively urban after Pyeongchang, imo.

I'd look to Oslo, Munich and Beijing or Harbin as the immediate future of the Winter Olympics.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:47 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The IOC has realized the benefits of separating ice and alpine events as the Winter Olympics have outgrown the small ski villages that used to pass for host cities. The idea the likes of Lake Placid being able to host today is borderline farcical. Which gives cities like Barcelona and Nice, with warm temperatures but within driving distance of alpine ski resorts, a chance at hosting. I think right now a lot of people are enamored with the optics of the thing... palm trees and snowboarding all at once. I think that element of it will get old pretty fast, I wouldn't hold my breath for another warm weather city hosting aside from the two I just mentioned. But it does mean the games will become almost exclusively urban after Pyeongchang, imo.

I'd look to Oslo, Munich and Beijing or Harbin as the immediate future of the Winter Olympics.
I wonder, when does an alpine ski hill become TOO far away from the host city in the IOC's eyes?

Old
03-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I wonder, when does an alpine ski hill become TOO far away from the host city in the IOC's eyes?
Thats a good question, but probably 90-120min's either by road or train. I guess it depends on several factors. Australia for example could host a Winter Olympics in the Summer, Alpine & Nordic Events far removed from Arena Events which could be staged in Sydney or Melbourne. Quebec City or a "Province of Quebec" type situation, Alpine/Nordic held at Tremblant, Gabriel, Mont Sainte Anne, Stoneham. The province of BC had to promise & did spend 100's of millions to up-grade the Sea-Sky Highway between Vancouver & Whistler as it was (and still actually is despite the "up-grades") prone to closures due to weather, rock slides, and can be deadly. Blind hairpin's n' whatnot but under good conditions app 90min's away. Other events, Freestyle held locally at Cypress Bowl, weather conditions however highly problematical in order to stage the events.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:13 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Thats a good question, but probably 90-120min's either by road or train. I guess it depends on several factors. Australia for example could host a Winter Olympics in the Summer, Alpine & Nordic Events far removed from Arena Events which could be staged in Sydney or Melbourne. Quebec City or a "Province of Quebec" type situation, Alpine/Nordic held at Tremblant, Gabriel, Mont Sainte Anne, Stoneham. The province of BC had to promise & did spend 100's of millions to up-grade the Sea-Sky Highway between Vancouver & Whistler as it was (and still actually is despite the "up-grades") prone to closures due to weather, rock slides, and can be deadly. Blind hairpin's n' whatnot but under good conditions app 90min's away. Other events, Freestyle held locally at Cypress Bowl, weather conditions however highly problematical in order to stage the events.
I actually did that Sea-Sky drive 5 weeks ago. Great highway, just gotta try your best to keep focused on the road despite the scenery around you and watch out for the Bimmers/Ferraris/Lambos ripping up the turns.....

Old
03-27-2013, 04:30 PM
cutchemist42

Not that I truly understand downhill, but how many alpine events need the massive hill? Is it just downhill and SUper G skiing or does Slalom require a giant run as well?

Old
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not that I truly understand downhill, but how many alpine events need the massive hill? Is it just downhill and SUper G skiing or does Slalom require a giant run as well?
The Downhill's minimum & maximum requirements (for men, women slightly less) is a vertical drop of no less than 2640', maximum 3300', Super G 820'-1476'. Numbers of breakaway gates included in both, width of course in Super G no less than 69' & so on. Based on F.I.S. Rules. Slalom less of course. Moguls & Aerials in the Freestyle Discipline also requiring another set of sometimes demanding and expensive sets of criteria. Then youve got the Boarding events, Cross Boarding, hybrid Super G Dual Slalom's & so on.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:02 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
I surfed around a bit and found this: http://www.bostonwinterolympics.com/

Some people who wants Boston to apply for the Winter Olympics. The site is better than Greg Jamisons site (even though that doesn't say much). It doesn't seem completely impossible so I guess Boston can be added to the other NHL cities that can host the Olympics.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I surfed around a bit and found this: Some people who wants Boston to apply for the Winter Olympics. The site is better than Greg Jamisons...
Ya thats interesting. Hold the Alpine & Nordic events in New Hampshire & Vermont.
Regionally. "New England" if you will... and ya, Jamisons site. I mean, what can ya say?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:33 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Ya thats interesting. Hold the Alpine & Nordic events in New Hampshire & Vermont.
Regionally. "New England" if you will... and ya, Jamisons site. I mean, what can ya say?

Well how far is the Bay Area from the Northern California ski resorts? Lot of interesting cities if you can stretch this out....

edit- As an example, Bay Area to Squaw Valley is about 3 hours on Google Maps...

Old
03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

medium-to-large cities in proximity to ski resorts will be the norm, as the ski resorts themselves cannot accommodate everyone without building massive infrastructure that would go to waste once the games are over. Salt Lake was the perfect model for a modern Winter Olympics. Medium-size city (too small to host a Summer games) with good infrastructure and proximity to world class ski-resorts. Sochi fits this model too, as could Denver, Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, Oslo, any Swiss city, Munich, Vienna, Turin, etc.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Sacramento-Lake Tahoe would be as close as you could get it in California (though Reno would obviously be a lot closer)

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Have it in Chicago, they can ski up in Wisconsin.

Probably have a better chance at that then ever getting the Summer games

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
cutchemist42

Even Lake Tahoe/San Fran could work, I personally don't think a 3 hour commute is long. The Sea-Sky highway turns into a 2.5 hour drive when I was there just on a normal weekend to Whistler.

I also think the Quebec City problem is that the Ski Federation declared the resorts around Quebec City too small.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Yeah around QC "Le massif" ski hill is like 40 or 80 metres too short.

I think it would be possible, but expensive, to increase it artificially.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
cutchemist42

So really, its shortness might only affect 1 event, the downhill skiing program, while keeping intact the other skiing disciplines.. I wish they would bend just once since Quebec City would be awesome as a host city.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
barneyg

Quote:
So really, its shortness might only affect 1 event, the downhill skiing program, while keeping intact the other skiing disciplines.. I wish they would bend just once since Quebec City would be awesome as a host city.
They might bend the rules for biathlon or some secondary event but they aren't going to bend the rules for men's downhill.

Quebec City's only chance (other than artificially increasing Le Massif's height) is if the IOC accepted to hold men's downhill in Lake Placid (Whiteface is the only mountain high enough in the Northeast according to this site).

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Yeah around QC "Le massif" ski hill is like 40 or 80 metres too short. I think it would be possible, but expensive, to increase it artificially.
It would be somewhat costly but it actually is quite doable, increasing the vertical by 40M's +. Mount Saint Louis / Moonstone in Ontario just north of Barrie amongst many others have done just that, summer-time aggregate & earth movements on grand scales adding considerable height & distance to their terrain. Centennial Park in Toronto has a hill built entirely of recycled garbage & fill, t-bars, tree's, hang gliders in the summer. Sort of like golf course planning & development if you will. The big problem with a Le' massif / Mont Sainte Anne in doing that is climate. You need tree cover on top of extensive bush & permanent barriers/snowfencing to protect the additional vertical, otherwise it just turns into solid ice, bullet proof, and that can be beyond deadly. Conditions to wit QC's ski areas are already well known for, as in you'd better have sharp edges. Like trying to ski down the frozen falls at Montmorency. Loaded... dont recommend trying it. Nasty experience was that.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post

I always thing of what a massive cluster **** having the Olympics in Lake Placid must have been. Bunch of 1 lane roads everywhere... yikes.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Northender

Quote:
It would be somewhat costly but it actually is quite doable, increasing the vertical by 40M's +. Mount Saint Louis / Moonstone in Ontario just north of Barrie amongst many others have done just that, summer-time aggregate & earth movements on grand scales adding considerable height & distance to their terrain. Centennial Park in Toronto has a hill built entirely of recycled garbage & fill, t-bars, tree's, hang gliders in the summer. Sort of like golf course planning & development if you will. The big problem with a Le' massif / Mont Sainte Anne in doing that is climate. You need tree cover on top of extensive bush & permanent barriers/snowfencing to protect the additional vertical, otherwise it just turns into solid ice, bullet proof, and that can be beyond deadly. Conditions to wit QC's ski areas are already well known for, as in you'd better have sharp edges. Like trying to ski down the frozen falls at Montmorency. Loaded... dont recommend trying it. Nasty experience was that.
Not to mention the project would eventually cost Quebec taxpayers about 5 billion dollars after the Quebec mafia, I mean construction companies, get through with building the thing. Great opportunity for them to bury the bodies though.

Northender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
Not to mention the project would eventually cost Quebec taxpayers about 5 billion dollars after the Quebec mafia, I mean construction companies, get through with building the thing. Great opportunity for them to bury the bodies though.
Ya, well, in all fairness there Northender hardly unique to Quebec. When Toronto back in the 60's & 70's was "reclaiming its waterfront" with the creation of the Leslie Street Spit etc, you had dump trucks of sand & gravel going 24-7/365. Pouring their loads into the drink for years & years from like 3 pits just north of the City all owned by the same guy who just "happened" to be a big supporter of then City Chairman Paul Godfrey & Mayor David Crombie. Entertaining both on his luxury yacht (never together as they hated each others guts), having drinks, suckin on olives, watching the meter run up load x load x load. I mean think about that one? Like God only knows how much the City of Toronto & Province combined was paying by the cubic yard, every 60 seconds or so right into Lake Ontario night & day for dirt. Yes, its called "lobbying" my friend. Serious business. Cost over-runs, whatever hardly unique to PQ. The minute governments get involved, the whole chase of public sector contracts from the private sector, corruption sure to follow, be involved at some level somewhere.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:44 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Yeah around QC "Le massif" ski hill is like 40 or 80 metres too short.

I think it would be possible, but expensive, to increase it artificially.
Why is there an absolute need to increase it by so little. I mean yeah they have strict rules but if IOC does not want to do the Olympics on 5 locations in the world they need to maybe reconsider their so strict rules.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:51 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Why is there an absolute need to increase it by so little. I mean yeah they have strict rules but if IOC does not want to do the Olympics on 5 locations in the world they need to maybe reconsider their so strict rules.
I don't see why they would bend the rules for Quebec City, there are hundreds of ski resorts high enough to host men's downhill (including over 30 in North America), Le Massif is just too short by 20%. The rules aren't all that strict.

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:33 AM
EbencoyE

I'd like to see a winter games in Chile next, after Korea. I think it's about time the southern hemisphere gets to host one. The only problem is what time of the year they would have it, as I'm not sure the IOC would want a winter games going on during the northern hemisphere's summer.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote