HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spezza chant?

Old
04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
quagmire quar

vCash: 500
Spezza chant?

With Spezza likely to be our next captain maybe he could use some support right now. He's had the rangers top shut-down guys on him all series and McLean seemed to be really trying to calm him down and get him going last night. After being booed during our last playoff appearance it would be nice to get behind him and show some appreciation. I know he hasn't earned the respect that Alfie has but he's playing his ass off and a bit snakebitten. It would be cool if we could light that fire.

What would you guys think of trying to get a Spezza chant going on the 19:00's? I bet it would get him f**king pumped.

quagmire quar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think people want to chant his name but I also think they want him to do something in line with his skill and responsibility.

I mean, they chanted Andy numerous times and even chanted WINNY after Winchester's big goal-line save.

I also think copying the Alfie thing for Spezza at 19:00 minutes sets a bad precedent.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Tak7

He looks a guy who is frustrated with just about everything right now.

What he needs isn't a song. What he needs is to find his balls and get back on his horse and keep plugging away.

Some of those shots of him on the bench being addressed by the coach were troubling

Tak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Not until he becomes the captain.

Or else there will be chants for Phillips, Turris, and anybody else whose number is less than 20. Then there will be a chant for Karlsson when the clock hits 6:50. Pretty soon there won't be a chance to count down because there will be a chant going on for someone or another and it will lose all meaning. It should be reserved for the captain.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
quagmire quar

Ok, maybe not on the 19's then but it would be good to show the guys some love and try and get him going. Last thing we need is to boo him again.

quagmire quar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire quar View Post
Ok, maybe not on the 19's then but it would be good to show the guys some love and try and get him going. Last thing we need is to boo him again.
People haven't been booing him. Sure, a lot of people, including myself, have sighed or yelled a "******* Spezza" after an errant pass, but I haven't heard any boos.

Spezza is a veteran and is considered a star player. He shouldn't need the fans' chanting his name to raise his game. Also, as mentioned above, if you create another organized chant, the whole thing starts to look gimmicky and silly.

Spezza has to earn his "chants". Only Alfie gets an organized one.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
People haven't been booing him. Sure, a lot of people, including myself, have sighed or yelled a "******* Spezza" after an errant pass, but I haven't heard any boos.

Spezza is a veteran and is considered a star player. He shouldn't need the fans' chanting his name to raise his game. Also, as mentioned above, if you create another organized chant, the whole thing starts to look gimmicky and silly.

This. Exactly this!

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I was at both games, and the only time anyone on the Sens was roundly booed was the PP unit once after a hopefully awful powerplay.

I did hear a lot of expletives at some of the "interesting" passes that Spezza made, but overall, I think people have been pretty positive.

He got big cheers when he appeared on the scoreboard egging on the crowd in a promo.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:30 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Andy gets chants, why can't Spezza?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
M15K0

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
This. Exactly this!
If Spezza isn't on our team we wouldn't be in the playoffs. Now that he's struggling your response is what have you done for me lately. I think he's shown a lot this year and has earned respect.

M15K0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
He only got chants once he made some amazing saves.

I have confidence that Spezza will do something great in Game 6 that will earn him a good chant.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
Andy gets chants after he makes a huge save or saves. He's not getting chants off the bat or receiving any planned chants, like Vancouver fans do with Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M15K0 View Post
If Spezza isn't on our team we wouldn't be in the playoffs. Now that he's struggling your response is what have you done for me lately. I think he's shown a lot this year and has earned respect.
This applies to everyone except Alfredsson. For instance, there hasn't been a single chant for Karlsson even though he, like Spezza, was a huge reason why the team is in the playoffs. Everyone has to earn their chants. Even then, not everyone gets a chant (e.g., Konopka or Smith, who have been awesome).

Old
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Berserker*

Quote:

This, Spezza needs to earn the fan support. Also, while it is likely that he becomes the next Captain, it is not guaranteed at this point. With Alfie out of the lineup, Spezza has a perfect opportunity to show that he can lead this team. So far in the playoffs he hasn't done that.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Lots of hockey left & our best players have yet to show up. Hopefully these next few games Spezza, Michalek & Alfredsson when he returns will be the guys who end NY's playoff hopes.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
M15K0

Quote:
Andy gets chants after he makes a huge save or saves. He's not getting chants off the bat or receiving any planned chants, like Vancouver fans do with Luongo.

This applies to everyone except Alfredsson. For instance, there hasn't been a single chant for Karlsson even though he, like Spezza, was a huge reason why the team is in the playoffs. Everyone has to earn their chants. Even then, not everyone gets a chant (e.g., Konopka or Smith, who have been awesome).

The point is to try and give Spezza a boost. So if he does something sick then don't pass up the opportunity to give him chant. He might respond to it.

M15K0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
2Cowen

Nope. The only person who should get their name chanted is Alfie. It ruins the rarity of it

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

How bout when he takes a penalty or looks like he's trying to much everyone chants:

GET MAD GET MAD GET MAD!!!

Exhibit A:

JonnyMacSen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by M15K0 View Post
The point is to try and give Spezza a boost. So if he does something sick then don't pass up the opportunity to give him chant. He might respond to it.
People are waiting for that moment, but it hasn't happened yet. When it does, you can expect the whole arena to explode in a Spezza chant.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
People are waiting for that moment, but it hasn't happened yet. When it does, you can expect the whole arena to explode in a Spezza chant.
It already happened at the ceremonial puck drop for game 3 when Spezza went was doing a faceoff pose with Callahan. It was a small Spezza chant but a chant nonetheless

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:53 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I'm sure Spezza's wife chants his name everytime she cashes his cheque.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
blahblah3

vCash: 3906
I am not chanting that guys name until he shows some consistent effort like Alfredsson does basically every night. Until then, he is undeserving of a chant.

blahblah3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Polansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah3 View Post
I am not chanting that guys name until he shows some consistent effort like Alfredsson does basically every night. Until then, he is undeserving of a chant.

Polansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:04 PM
SelleckStache

vCash: 650
Spezza will get his soon enough, he deserves it after having to deal with all the mouth-breathers who come bashing him whenever he makes 1 mistake for every 20 amazing plays.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Nope. The only person who should get their name chanted is Alfie. It ruins the rarity of it
Precisely

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Bob Kudelski

Spezza hasn't been THAT bad. He made a sick pass from his own goal line to Carkner for the goal that started the comeback last night.

Doesn't deserve a chant though. Not unless he has an epic game or something.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote