HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF Game 5. Washington Capitals @ Boston Bruins. 3pm. TD Garden. 4.21.2012

Old
04-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Funkyalligator

vCash: 500
Look chara has always been able to shut ovie down and thats fine. Chara is the perfect combo of size and strength.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Well DH better get OV away from Chara tomorrow.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Well DH better get OV away from Chara tomorrow.
I'm not exactly sure that is the point....playing Ovie against chara might be exactly the point. Stamina.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I'm not exactly sure that is the point....playing Ovie against chara might be exactly the point. Stamina.
Bingo Bango. Play Alex for 30 minutes. See how Chara holds up.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Bingo Bango. Play Alex for 30 minutes. See how Chara holds up.
Yup think about that.....chara played an additional 12 min against people other than Alex to help shut down the caps offense. I'll be interested to see what happens tomorrow.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Funkyalligator

The Bruins have been playing great defense. TT has played really well. This is the first back to back coming home off a road win. DH has been prepping the team mentally.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Yeah...count me as one that thinks its not wise to pin OV and Chara. He's a professional athlete, he'll be ready for tomorrow.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I also think it's important to get others away from Chara and against Ference, Zanon and company. Let Ovechkin take one for the team if Semin's scoring.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Chara was gassed in the 3rd period today. There was one play (don't remember around what time) when a weakish shot went in on Thomas off the rush. The Cap net crasher stopped right on the 45 degree angle from the crease, but Chara nearly went behind the net before he managed to stop, and didn't even manage to get back close enough to the crease to push the Cap away from Thomas.

On Seidenberg's goal, Ovechkin was the third man back. Instead of skating all the way through the neutral zone, he coasted to match speed with the third Boston forward, allowing Seidenberg to sneak past behind him for the shot. When backchecking, if you're ahead of the play, stay to the middle and turn around and skate backward like a defenseman so you can see the play. If Ovechkin does that, Seidenberg doesn't score.

To whomever made the comment about Joel Ward producing... 1A isn't exactly lighting it up. But he is playing well enough to earn some ice time.

To the Boston fan who wanted a hug... *hug*. But if the Bruins come back to win the series, I'm coming to YOUR board for my hug.

Holtby's puck focus is unreal and on another level from Vokoun and Neuvirth. He makes plays with every piece of equipment. After watching him, if he can maintain that level of focus, he will be great.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I also think it's important to get others away from Chara and against Ference, Zanon and company. Let Ovechkin take one for the team if Semin's scoring.
Yup exactly. Ovie will be hitting chara for 28-30 minutes playing the power forward. That'll get the rest of the guys away from chara.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Personally besides chara, I think that whole bruins team looks gassed at times.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Funkyalligator

How many minutes were the top d pairing of the rangers having to play last year by the end of the series.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
How many minutes were the top d pairing of the rangers having to play last year by the end of the series.
I'm not sure but I'll guess 27-28 minutes a game. Ovechkin without a doubt wore down staal and girardi. Not so sure if he's worn chara down, I'm sure he has some. But laich and brower were also Making sure they finished their checks on him.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Also maybe bruins are gassed maybe not, I think they are some but I honestly feel like they are frustrated more than anything.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
If that top pairing is fatigued then hopefully Ovi can take advantage like he did last year against the Rags

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Also maybe bruins are gassed maybe not, I think they are some but I honestly feel like they are frustrated more than anything.
No one more than Lucic. It's amazing not that they've been able to get under his skin, anyone can do that. Rather getting under his skin without getting killed. I mean people gave the Sabres crap for not retaliating on Lucic after the Miller incident but the fact of the matter is hes a ridiculously strong guy and he's not afraid to throw his weight around.

Most impressive part of this series has been the Caps showing a type of toughness that no one seemed to know they had. Granted I was starting to get on McPhee for throwing all of these grinders and grit into the lineup and having us play conservative hockey but it seems like its working.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 04-21-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:48 PM
artilector

Quote:
Yeah when they get going, you don't see any fatigue, they tilt the ice pretty good in their favor.

It does seem like they're having trouble generating emotion against the Caps, and they need that unifying emotional boost to go into trample mode. Caps neither rile them up nor are they easy to push around. So they can't really get p1ssed off at them nor can they bully them.. and so just having to play precise disciplined hockey makes them look ordinary for long stretches.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Funkyalligator

Quote:
I'm not sure but I'll guess 27-28 minutes a game. Ovechkin without a doubt wore down staal and girardi. Not so sure if he's worn chara down, I'm sure he has some. But laich and brower were also Making sure they finished their checks on him.
Ovie hasn't worn chara down yet but let's see how he does the second day of back to backs playing at home.(another thing DH has worked on)but then again he hasn't been playing tons of minutes. With julien obsessing over covering ovechkin since he does,have one of the highest averages ever in the playoffs.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:57 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Most impressive part of this series has been the Caps showing a type of toughness that no one seemed to know they had. Granted I was starting to get on McPhee for throwing all of these grinders and grit into the lineup and having us play conservative hockey but it seems like its working.
I had no idea it was possible. Seriously. I never thought this team would be this tough. I never thought a coach could come in and somehow instill toughness into these players. I figured it just wasn't ingrained into them so they never played with an edge. And now I stand corrected. Dale has done the impossible and has these guys playing with a buttload of toughness. All hail the Dale.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
They were 30 and above IIRC.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:02 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I had no idea it was possible. Seriously. I never thought this team would be this tough. I never thought a coach could come in and somehow instill toughness into these players. I figured it just wasn't ingrained into them so they never played with an edge. And now I stand corrected. Dale has done the impossible and has these guys playing with a buttload of toughness. All hail the Dale.
RandyHolt?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Funkyalligator

It's semin that really is shocking. I think there is a level of trust between Ovie and DH that just wasn't there with BB toward the end or ever perhaps.

Backstrom seems to be back and getting both him, mojo and semin away from chara will work wonders.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
artilector

Yeah I'm really happy that Ovi and Backstrom have been separated. And Backstrom-Semin is the best offensive line, so for Ovechkin to be able to still draw away Boston's top pairing is very nice. It may not always manifest in goals directly, but a guy like Semin gets a bit more touches, a better feel for the puck and I think it's a factor for him being more involved overall and being able to finish well when he gets a chance.

But in this setup I just wish Ovi had a center who could create more space for him.. Laich is not quite that guy, and MJo is not yet ready/may not be a great fit, either. Can we have Zubrus back?

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Yeah I'm really happy that Ovi and Backstrom have been separated. And Backstrom-Semin is the best offensive line, so for Ovechkin to be able to still draw away Boston's top pairing is very nice. It may not always manifest in goals directly, but a guy like Semin gets a bit more touches, a better feel for the puck and I think it's a factor for him being more involved overall and being able to finish well when he gets a chance.

But in this setup I just wish Ovi had a center who could create more space for him.. Laich is not quite that guy, and MJo is not yet ready/may not be a great fit, either. Can we have Zubrus back?
It was obvious and it was easy.... just like not bashing the way Hunter handled these guys from day one.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 12:07 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
It was obvious and it was easy.... just like not bashing the way Hunter handled these guys from day one.
The same people who are crediting Hunter are the ones who want the guy who is providing all his offense off the team.

Go figure.